Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Looking to water cool my CPU and GPU
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking to water cool my CPU and GPU

post #1 of 30
Thread Starter 
I'm completely new to water cooling. I have been building computers for years now and can do just about everything except water cooling and the other cooling stuff. I want to water cool my sig rig but no clue where to start or how to do it. I've looked at the guides on the site but I still can't figure out what I need to buy or what I can use that I already have. So some help as to what I need to buy would be great.

System Specs:
CPU: 2500k
GPU: MSI 680s in SLi
Mobo: Asus ASUS P8Z77-V PRO

WC Components:
Koolance 452x2 with serial kit
XSPC CPU block
10' primochill tubing
10 fittings
120mm swiftech radiator

So what else do I need and what can I use that I have. I don't have a budget but I don't want to go over the top so around $300-500 tops. Also I'm planning on upgrading to a COOLER MASTER CM Storm Series Trooper from my Corsair 500R so keep that in mind for space I guess.
post #2 of 30
The Koolance 452x2 is very high overkill for your loop and very overpriced if used only on a cpu block and 120 rad.

From what I can see the Corsair 500R doesn't even have the ability to install a 240 rad on top (excluding modding). Only half size rads will work and it's not really worth it then.

I would advise a cheaper kit so that you have money left to buy the CM emmediatly. From this picture it seems the CM can fit an RS360.

That allows you to buy an XSPC Raystorm 750 RS360 kit which is around $160. The kit comes with everything you need except fluid.

edit: Do you also want to wc the gpu's? I see the topic title says so but you don't mention it in the OP.
For the gpu's you can get the kit and add 2 full cover blocks for the 680's. A 360 sized rad will become limited to cool a cpu and 2x 680 tho. It depends how much you want to overclock it, your ambient temperatures and if you don't mind non-silent fans.
You'll need 2 full cover blocks and connect them either with a bridge connector or add a tube between them.
Watercool and aquacomputer are very liked manufacturers. But I don't know how easy those are to get in the US. EK and Koolance you'll find easily.


If you want to cool high overclocked cpu+2x gpu and use thick rads for silent fans and redundant pumps, I don't think it's possible with $500. It will certainly be very challenging to do in midi tower cases.
Maybe there is a low cost build magician who can jump in with a bit more knowledge of the cheapest stores in the USA.
Edited by StijnDP - 8/20/12 at 10:02am
post #3 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StijnDP View Post

The Koolance 452x2 is very high overkill for your loop and very overpriced if used only on a cpu block and 120 rad.
From what I can see the Corsair 500R doesn't even have the ability to install a 240 rad on top (excluding modding). Only half size rads will work and it's not really worth it then.
I would advise a cheaper kit so that you have money left to buy the CM emmediatly. From this picture it seems the CM can fit an RS360.

That allows you to buy an XSPC Raystorm 750 RS360 kit which is around $160. The kit comes with everything you need except fluid.
edit: Do you also want to wc the gpu's? I see the topic title says so but you don't mention it in the OP.
For the gpu's you can get the kit and add 2 full cover blocks for the 680's. A 360 sized rad will become limited to cool a cpu and 2x 680 tho. It depends how much you want to overclock it, your ambient temperatures and if you don't mind non-silent fans.
You'll need 2 full cover blocks and connect them either with a bridge connector or add a tube between them.
Watercool and aquacomputer are very liked manufacturers. But I don't know how easy those are to get in the US. EK and Koolance you'll find easily.
If you want to cool high overclocked cpu+2x gpu and use thick rads for silent fans and redundant pumps, I don't think it's possible with $500. It will certainly be very challenging to do in midi tower cases.
Maybe there is a low cost build magician who can jump in with a bit more knowledge of the cheapest stores in the USA.

I will be upgrading to the CM SST. That's not in my budget. I want to do CPU and both GPU cooling for around $500 if possible. Also with gpu blocks I was reading about issues with the plating coming off and what not. Any thoughts? I keep it OC'ed to 4GHz usually. I can maybe go up in budget if it's worth it and will be better for WCing/Noise. I want good quality stuff but I'm not looking to spend more than needed to. So ~$750 is what I thought would be enough.
post #4 of 30
Plating coming off happens with nickel plating. Blocks made from pure copper in combination with acetal or plexi are ok.

The picture I linked comes from this post. You can see that it's about the maximum setup possible and he also used an XSPC kit expanded with other parts.
With prices from Frozencpu (don't know if it's the cheapest shop)
XSPC Raystorm 750 RS360 $163
EK GeForce 680 GTX VGA Liquid Cooling Block - Acetal CSQ (EK-FC680 GTX - Acetal CSQ) $106
EK GeForce 680 GTX VGA Liquid Cooling Block - Acetal CSQ (EK-FC680 GTX - Acetal CSQ) $106
EK FC Bridge Dual Serial 3-Slot CSQ - SLI Connection (EK-FC Bridge DUAL Serial 3-Slot CSQ) $23
2 extra fittings $10

That's around $400. Still leaves room to add an extra 2 RS240 ($50) or 1 RX240 ($73) into the loop.
Don't kill me if it's the wrong sli bridge. It seems the correct one on EK's site.
post #5 of 30
I use all nickle plated blocks in my builds and have never had any problems with the plating coming off. In my current system I am using EK blocks & EK coolant, the coolant is cheap and I dont have to worry about adding anything else to my system to keep stuff from growing in it. All I'm really trying to say is that if you want to use nickle plated components, do it, just use the proper stuff and you will not have any problems. They do cost a bit more, so keep that in mind.

As for the Storm Trooper, here is a LINK that should help you with some questions you might have with it. He makes really long videos, but if you skim through them you can catch very useful information on what you can and can not do with the case. He talks a lot so keep that in mind.
Defiant
(14 items)
 
Xsessive
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 2600k Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7 MSI N580GTX EVGA GTX 580 SC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair OCZ Agility 3 WD Black EK Waterblocks 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
BitsPower Compression fittings 3/8"IDx1/2"OD Swiftech MCP655 Magicool Extreme 3x180mm Radiator Win7 Ultimate 64 
PowerCase
NZXT Hale 90 1000w Silverstone Raven RV-02E Limited Edition White 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 Asus Sabertooth x58 Gigabyte 480 GTX Patriot Sector 7  
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
WD Blue 1 TB Custom Liquid Loop Win7 Ultimate 64 Corsair HX850 
CaseAudio
NZXT Phantom X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Defiant
(14 items)
 
Xsessive
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 2600k Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7 MSI N580GTX EVGA GTX 580 SC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair OCZ Agility 3 WD Black EK Waterblocks 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
BitsPower Compression fittings 3/8"IDx1/2"OD Swiftech MCP655 Magicool Extreme 3x180mm Radiator Win7 Ultimate 64 
PowerCase
NZXT Hale 90 1000w Silverstone Raven RV-02E Limited Edition White 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 Asus Sabertooth x58 Gigabyte 480 GTX Patriot Sector 7  
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
WD Blue 1 TB Custom Liquid Loop Win7 Ultimate 64 Corsair HX850 
CaseAudio
NZXT Phantom X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 30
Thread Starter 
Okay so here's what I have so far:
  • Reservoir - Koolance 452x2
  • Pump - PMP-450S Pump (2 of them)
  • GPU - EK GeForce 680 GTX VGA Liquid Cooling Block - Acetal + Nickel CSQ (EK-FC680 GTX - Acetal + Nickel CSQ) (2 of them)
  • SLI - EK FC Bridge Dual Serial - SLI Connection (EK-FC Bridge DUAL Serial)
  • CPU - EK-Supreme LTX - Acetal+EN (Nickel)
  • Tubing - 3/8" ID Not sure on color yet
  • Barbs, Clamps, and Fittings - What do I need here?
  • Fans - ??????
  • Radiators - ??????
  • TIM - ??????
  • Coolant - ??????

What am I looking at for the last 5 bullets? And am I missing anything else?
Edited by Shion314 - 8/21/12 at 9:28am
post #7 of 30
I would strongly suggest passing on the Koolance res. I had one and it was a PAIN to bleed. If your just starting out all that res is going to do is get you very frustrated. Go with a tube res. EK ,Bitspower, Phobia all make decent units. Good luck smile.gif
Main system
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP7  3 x Sapphire 7950 16 GB GSkill 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 SSD 2x Samsung F1 Samsung TFC 480, 360, BI 140. EK 250 res. 355 with XSP... Win 7 + Vista 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Catleap Corsair K90 EVGA 1300 G2 Corsair 800d 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Coolermaster Spawn Ratpad Soundblaster XFi HD Logitech Z5500 
  hide details  
Reply
Main system
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP7  3 x Sapphire 7950 16 GB GSkill 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 SSD 2x Samsung F1 Samsung TFC 480, 360, BI 140. EK 250 res. 355 with XSP... Win 7 + Vista 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Catleap Corsair K90 EVGA 1300 G2 Corsair 800d 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Coolermaster Spawn Ratpad Soundblaster XFi HD Logitech Z5500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac11 View Post

I would strongly suggest passing on the Koolance res. I had one and it was a PAIN to bleed. If your just starting out all that res is going to do is get you very frustrated. Go with a tube res. EK ,Bitspower, Phobia all make decent units. Good luck smile.gif

I already have the Koolance Reservoir so yeah. Is it THAT much an issue that I should buy a new unit?
post #9 of 30
Build a bong and run 2 lines biggrin.gif
2 y-splitters..and cpu and gpu can both have cool water straight from the res.
 
Thuban Powah!
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon X5650 Asus P6X58D-E Sapphire HD 7950 G.Skill Trident-X 2600 CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
Samsung 840 pro Bong cooler / RASA waterblock Rosewill Capstone Gold 750 None 
MouseMouse PadAudio
cheap! Newegg box panel ibeats with onboard. 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1075T w/2 cores locked @ 4.2+ M4a89GTD-Pro XFX Radeon HD 5870 8gb Samsung ddr3 1600 11-11-11-28@ 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility2 40gb WD Blue 500GB Lite-On RASA waterblock 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows & Linux Samsung 1080p 2 ms Dell Thermaltake TR2-800 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master Elite 330 (was) cheap 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Thuban Powah!
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon X5650 Asus P6X58D-E Sapphire HD 7950 G.Skill Trident-X 2600 CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
Samsung 840 pro Bong cooler / RASA waterblock Rosewill Capstone Gold 750 None 
MouseMouse PadAudio
cheap! Newegg box panel ibeats with onboard. 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1075T w/2 cores locked @ 4.2+ M4a89GTD-Pro XFX Radeon HD 5870 8gb Samsung ddr3 1600 11-11-11-28@ 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility2 40gb WD Blue 500GB Lite-On RASA waterblock 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows & Linux Samsung 1080p 2 ms Dell Thermaltake TR2-800 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master Elite 330 (was) cheap 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmuckley View Post

Build a bong and run 2 lines biggrin.gif
2 y-splitters..and cpu and gpu can both have cool water straight from the res.

You're gonna have to explain this one to me. I'm new to water cooling. I am willing to learn and do it though if it's better and looks nice too.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Looking to water cool my CPU and GPU