New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Restoring Desktop - Page 2

post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMMC View Post

Nope; sorry, I should of been more clear.
I tried to install using UNetbootin on an XP system because my disc drive isn't working correctly, but during the process (after the OS was erased) the install messed up. Looks like I'm going to have to use a USB stick and install a new OS that way thumb.gif

Just to check I understand you correctly, you tried to install a new OS while booted into an OS installed on the very same HDD?
If so, then that was always going to fail. USB stick is definitely the way forward.
post #12 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

Just to check I understand you correctly, you tried to install a new OS while booted into an OS installed on the very same HDD?
If so, then that was always going to fail. USB stick is definitely the way forward.

I just attempted how I installed Linux Mint onto my old laptop; which was running UNetbootin which when you reboot and navigate to it before the current OS loads, allows you to install that way. I got to the part of the install after erasing XP (like I say, no intentions of dual-booting) and then it messed up further down the line.

Thanks for the help, I'm going to head into town and pick up a new usb stick. One final question; could anybody offer any recommendations for a distro for my desktop? I'm not looking to run any games from it, it will likely be used primarily for university work/studying with web browsing, but I want something that looks pretty good also. Running Linux Mint on an old laptop thumb.gif
Edited by IMMC - 8/24/12 at 3:48am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMMC View Post

I just attempted how I installed Linux Mint onto my old laptop; which was running UNetbootin which when you reboot and navigate to it before the current OS loads, allows you to install that way. I got to the part of the install after erasing XP (like I say, no intentions of dual-booting) and then it messed up further down the line.
Ahh i see. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMMC View Post

Thanks for the help, I'm going to head into town and pick up a new usb stick. One final question; could anybody offer any recommendations for a distro for my desktop? I'm not looking to run any games from it, it will likely be used primarily for university work/studying with web browsing, but I want something that looks pretty good also. Running Linux Mint on an old laptop thumb.gif
Linux Mint Debian Edition is one of the better desktop distros. Plus if you're already familiar with Mint, then that gives you a running start thumb.gif
post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
Hmmmm, I've just tried a few different operating system by usb drive and I just get the message "Error loading operating system". DAMN!

EDIT: Got it working!
Edited by IMMC - 8/24/12 at 8:07am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Linux, Unix