Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › Home Audio › Hi-Fi Gear › Looking for suggested 2.1 speaker setup to beat Corsair sp2500
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for suggested 2.1 speaker setup to beat Corsair sp2500

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
New guy here.

I have read here and elsewhere that you can do better than pc speaker systems by picking up passive bookshelf speakers, an amp, and a subwoofer. However, I am not enough of an expert to know which ones to pick. Especially the part about figuring out which amps go with which speakers and a matching subwoofer. So I was hoping some folks here could help.

Budget $200-$250. New components only (please provide links). For desktop pc with asus xonar dg sound card. This would replace logitech z-680 5.1 system. I am having trouble in my current office setup getting the back speakers going (no place to put them).

My needs are 60% music, 30% games, and 10% movies.

The alternative is to upgrade from the logitech z-680 to the corsair sp2500. But I am pretty sure I can do better picking up components with some expert opinions.
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno33 View Post

New guy here.
I have read here and elsewhere that you can do better than pc speaker systems by picking up passive bookshelf speakers, an amp, and a subwoofer. However, I am not enough of an expert to know which ones to pick. Especially the part about figuring out which amps go with which speakers and a matching subwoofer. So I was hoping some folks here could help.
Budget $200-$250. New components only (please provide links). For desktop pc with asus xonar dg sound card. This would replace logitech z-680 5.1 system. I am having trouble in my current office setup getting the back speakers going (no place to put them).
My needs are 60% music, 30% games, and 10% movies.
The alternative is to upgrade from the logitech z-680 to the corsair sp2500. But I am pretty sure I can do better picking up components with some expert opinions.
Note: this comment is in no way helpful for your budget!


I've currently got the SP2500 + Xonar STX, I thought they were good speakers until I got to use my my friends new Aktimate Mini+ (they got delivered to me so I stole them for a couple of days) After using them for a couple of hours I decided to compare between the SP2500, First thing I noticed... the SP2500 sounded REALLY dull... It had the bass which was nice.. but wasn't clear at all. Don't get me wrong, I love(d) the SP2500 when I got them. Now after hearing the Aktimate Mini+ I've ordered some Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s to go with my amp. Depending how I cope without a sub, I'll most likely back it up with the Wharfedale SW150.

And to give you some alternatives, check out Swan M50Ws and Edifier S530D. I haven't heard either of them but I'd be willing to bet they'd beat the SP2500.
The Node Project
(20 items)
 
Keyboards
(4 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3750k Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe Gigabyte 680 G.Skill Ares F3-1866C10D-16GAB 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x Intel 520 120GB Sandisk 240GB (USB 3 external) custom loop. Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2713HM Dell U2312HM Happy Hacking Pro 2 SilverStone SFX ST45SF-G 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Design Node 304 Steelseries XAI Razer Goliathus Extended Muse NOS DAC 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 Wharfedale SW150 Audioengine N22 Beyerdynamic DT880 250 Ohms 
KeyboardOtherOtherOther
Happy Hacking Pro 2 Filco Majestouch 2 White KBC Poker Realforce 104UB 
  hide details  
Reply
The Node Project
(20 items)
 
Keyboards
(4 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3750k Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe Gigabyte 680 G.Skill Ares F3-1866C10D-16GAB 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x Intel 520 120GB Sandisk 240GB (USB 3 external) custom loop. Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2713HM Dell U2312HM Happy Hacking Pro 2 SilverStone SFX ST45SF-G 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Design Node 304 Steelseries XAI Razer Goliathus Extended Muse NOS DAC 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 Wharfedale SW150 Audioengine N22 Beyerdynamic DT880 250 Ohms 
KeyboardOtherOtherOther
Happy Hacking Pro 2 Filco Majestouch 2 White KBC Poker Realforce 104UB 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuzart View Post

Note: this comment is in no way helpful for your budget!
I've currently got the SP2500 + Xonar STX, I thought they were good speakers until I got to use my my friends new Aktimate Mini+ (they got delivered to me so I stole them for a couple of days) After using them for a couple of hours I decided to compare between the SP2500, First thing I noticed... the SP2500 sounded REALLY dull... It had the bass which was nice.. but wasn't clear at all. Don't get me wrong, I love(d) the SP2500 when I got them. Now after hearing the Aktimate Mini+ I've ordered some Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s to go with my amp. Depending how I cope without a sub, I'll most likely back it up with the Wharfedale SW150.
And to give you some alternatives, check out Swan M50Ws and Edifier S530D. I haven't heard either of them but I'd be willing to bet they'd beat the SP2500.

The only one of those I have heard of are the Swan m50ws. How much did your sound system cost? The one that replaced your sp2500. Any links to these speakers at retailers and reviews would also be useful, thanks.
post #4 of 10
I donno bout those Speakers but my Bose Companion 2 are pretty sweet.

Sound great with my G1 Sniper 3s onboard Creative Recon 3D Fatal1ty.

http://www.amazon.com/Bose-Companion-Series-Multimedia-Speaker/dp/B005TLTOLG

i also have the Bose companion III hard to beat bose speakers..

http://www.amazon.com/Bose-Companion-multimedia-speaker-Graphite/dp/B000HZBR64
Edited by Hokies83 - 8/26/12 at 8:53pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k 5.2ghz  GIGABYTE G1 Assassin Sniper 3 7950 with Alphacool block 7950 w/ Alphacool Block 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
7950 w/ Alphacool block G.SKILL Trident X 2500mhz 2x4gb SanDisk Extreme 240gb sata III 6gbs x5 SwiftTech Apongee Drive II 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Monsta 360 86mm thick rad X 4 MCP 35X Pump x2 400ML Frozen Q Fusion res x3 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
CatLeap 2560x1440 + Acer hn274h bmiiid 120hz 3D Logitech G19 Corsair Ax1200 watts  Mountain Mods Ascension 
MouseAudio
Logitech M570 Pioneer SP-BS21 Bookshelf Loudspeakers + Lepai Amp 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k 5.2ghz  GIGABYTE G1 Assassin Sniper 3 7950 with Alphacool block 7950 w/ Alphacool Block 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
7950 w/ Alphacool block G.SKILL Trident X 2500mhz 2x4gb SanDisk Extreme 240gb sata III 6gbs x5 SwiftTech Apongee Drive II 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Monsta 360 86mm thick rad X 4 MCP 35X Pump x2 400ML Frozen Q Fusion res x3 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
CatLeap 2560x1440 + Acer hn274h bmiiid 120hz 3D Logitech G19 Corsair Ax1200 watts  Mountain Mods Ascension 
MouseAudio
Logitech M570 Pioneer SP-BS21 Bookshelf Loudspeakers + Lepai Amp 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 10
Here's what I would suggest you look into:

Amplifier:
Dayton DTA-100a

Speakers:
Pioneer SP bookshelfs (the 5.25" model)
Polk Monitor line bookshelfs
Dayton B652's (cheapest option)
Polk RTi series
BIC Venturi bookshelfs

Subwoofers:
Dayton SUB800, SUB1000, or SUB1200 (obviously the 12 is the best option assuming you can fit it)
BIC Formula F12

Add in enough speaker wire to run from amp to subwoofer (2 channels) and from subwoofer to the bookshelfs (so figure at least 50 feet), make it at least 16 gauge wire, and you'll need a 3.5mm to RCA cable of however long you need.

Easily doable in the $250 range.
Junkyard
(18 items)
 
NAStradamous
(12 items)
 
HTPC01
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2320 @ 3.1GHz MSI B75MA-E33 HIS HD7970 3GB @ 1050 / 1700, 1.17v Patriot 2x4GB DDR3-1066 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256GB WD Green 2TB DVDRW Corsair H50 Push / Pull 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
NZXT 120mm fans strapped to stock 7970 cooler Windows 10 Pro Dell 3007WFP Dell 2007FP 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 2007FP Cheap Toshiba (R.I.P. Ducky) PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 950w Cheap Garbage (free) 
MouseAudio
Logitech G602 Yardsale Special 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3330 Asus H61 MSI GTX 750Ti Low Profile 2x4GB Hynix DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
60GB Kingston SSD 1TB Seagate Samsung DVDRW CoolerMaster Gemin II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 + Steam Big Picture / Plex HT 50" Insignia LED 1080p Logitech Rosewill Green 530w 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone HTPC Logitech Pioneer 2.0 tower speakers + 135w RMS Rosewill MCE Remote 
  hide details  
Reply
Junkyard
(18 items)
 
NAStradamous
(12 items)
 
HTPC01
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2320 @ 3.1GHz MSI B75MA-E33 HIS HD7970 3GB @ 1050 / 1700, 1.17v Patriot 2x4GB DDR3-1066 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256GB WD Green 2TB DVDRW Corsair H50 Push / Pull 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
NZXT 120mm fans strapped to stock 7970 cooler Windows 10 Pro Dell 3007WFP Dell 2007FP 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 2007FP Cheap Toshiba (R.I.P. Ducky) PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 950w Cheap Garbage (free) 
MouseAudio
Logitech G602 Yardsale Special 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3330 Asus H61 MSI GTX 750Ti Low Profile 2x4GB Hynix DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
60GB Kingston SSD 1TB Seagate Samsung DVDRW CoolerMaster Gemin II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 + Steam Big Picture / Plex HT 50" Insignia LED 1080p Logitech Rosewill Green 530w 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone HTPC Logitech Pioneer 2.0 tower speakers + 135w RMS Rosewill MCE Remote 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno33 View Post

The only one of those I have heard of are the Swan m50ws. How much did your sound system cost? The one that replaced your sp2500. Any links to these speakers at retailers and reviews would also be useful, thanks.
Me being in Australia most likely wont help you with pricing. The Diamond 9.1 cost me $299 AUD delivered, but they are passive so you need to add an amp to that. The Mini's were $499 AUD.

But FYI:
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=567_568&products_id=20186

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=567_568&products_id=19625
The Node Project
(20 items)
 
Keyboards
(4 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3750k Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe Gigabyte 680 G.Skill Ares F3-1866C10D-16GAB 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x Intel 520 120GB Sandisk 240GB (USB 3 external) custom loop. Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2713HM Dell U2312HM Happy Hacking Pro 2 SilverStone SFX ST45SF-G 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Design Node 304 Steelseries XAI Razer Goliathus Extended Muse NOS DAC 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 Wharfedale SW150 Audioengine N22 Beyerdynamic DT880 250 Ohms 
KeyboardOtherOtherOther
Happy Hacking Pro 2 Filco Majestouch 2 White KBC Poker Realforce 104UB 
  hide details  
Reply
The Node Project
(20 items)
 
Keyboards
(4 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3750k Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe Gigabyte 680 G.Skill Ares F3-1866C10D-16GAB 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x Intel 520 120GB Sandisk 240GB (USB 3 external) custom loop. Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2713HM Dell U2312HM Happy Hacking Pro 2 SilverStone SFX ST45SF-G 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Design Node 304 Steelseries XAI Razer Goliathus Extended Muse NOS DAC 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 Wharfedale SW150 Audioengine N22 Beyerdynamic DT880 250 Ohms 
KeyboardOtherOtherOther
Happy Hacking Pro 2 Filco Majestouch 2 White KBC Poker Realforce 104UB 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerisloud View Post

Here's what I would suggest you look into:
Amplifier:
Dayton DTA-100a
Speakers:
Pioneer SP bookshelfs (the 5.25" model)
Polk Monitor line bookshelfs
Dayton B652's (cheapest option)
Polk RTi series
BIC Venturi bookshelfs
Subwoofers:
Dayton SUB800, SUB1000, or SUB1200 (obviously the 12 is the best option assuming you can fit it)
BIC Formula F12
Add in enough speaker wire to run from amp to subwoofer (2 channels) and from subwoofer to the bookshelfs (so figure at least 50 feet), make it at least 16 gauge wire, and you'll need a 3.5mm to RCA cable of however long you need.
Easily doable in the $250 range.

Which of those speakers listed has the best sound quality?
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno33 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerisloud View Post

Here's what I would suggest you look into:
Amplifier:
Dayton DTA-100a
Speakers:
Pioneer SP bookshelfs (the 5.25" model)
Polk Monitor line bookshelfs
Dayton B652's (cheapest option)
Polk RTi series
BIC Venturi bookshelfs
Subwoofers:
Dayton SUB800, SUB1000, or SUB1200 (obviously the 12 is the best option assuming you can fit it)
BIC Formula F12
Add in enough speaker wire to run from amp to subwoofer (2 channels) and from subwoofer to the bookshelfs (so figure at least 50 feet), make it at least 16 gauge wire, and you'll need a 3.5mm to RCA cable of however long you need.
Easily doable in the $250 range.

Which of those speakers listed has the best sound quality?

Depends on what you consider to be "the best".

Pioneers = more natural sounding
Polk Monitors = bright and slightly boomy (good treble and bass, recessed mids)
Dayton B652's = Really nice mids and highs, lack of bass response below 70Hz
Polk RTi series = IIRC the newer model of the monitor line
BIC Venturi = natural sounding (or close to it)

Subwoofers, the Dayton would be the better bet, the BIC is more suited for home theater (movies / TV) use.
Junkyard
(18 items)
 
NAStradamous
(12 items)
 
HTPC01
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2320 @ 3.1GHz MSI B75MA-E33 HIS HD7970 3GB @ 1050 / 1700, 1.17v Patriot 2x4GB DDR3-1066 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256GB WD Green 2TB DVDRW Corsair H50 Push / Pull 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
NZXT 120mm fans strapped to stock 7970 cooler Windows 10 Pro Dell 3007WFP Dell 2007FP 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 2007FP Cheap Toshiba (R.I.P. Ducky) PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 950w Cheap Garbage (free) 
MouseAudio
Logitech G602 Yardsale Special 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3330 Asus H61 MSI GTX 750Ti Low Profile 2x4GB Hynix DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
60GB Kingston SSD 1TB Seagate Samsung DVDRW CoolerMaster Gemin II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 + Steam Big Picture / Plex HT 50" Insignia LED 1080p Logitech Rosewill Green 530w 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone HTPC Logitech Pioneer 2.0 tower speakers + 135w RMS Rosewill MCE Remote 
  hide details  
Reply
Junkyard
(18 items)
 
NAStradamous
(12 items)
 
HTPC01
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2320 @ 3.1GHz MSI B75MA-E33 HIS HD7970 3GB @ 1050 / 1700, 1.17v Patriot 2x4GB DDR3-1066 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256GB WD Green 2TB DVDRW Corsair H50 Push / Pull 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
NZXT 120mm fans strapped to stock 7970 cooler Windows 10 Pro Dell 3007WFP Dell 2007FP 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 2007FP Cheap Toshiba (R.I.P. Ducky) PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 950w Cheap Garbage (free) 
MouseAudio
Logitech G602 Yardsale Special 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3330 Asus H61 MSI GTX 750Ti Low Profile 2x4GB Hynix DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
60GB Kingston SSD 1TB Seagate Samsung DVDRW CoolerMaster Gemin II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 + Steam Big Picture / Plex HT 50" Insignia LED 1080p Logitech Rosewill Green 530w 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone HTPC Logitech Pioneer 2.0 tower speakers + 135w RMS Rosewill MCE Remote 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 
What is impressive about the Daytons is that they are apparently in the same league with the rest of the speakers listed in pioneerisloud's response. Especially considering their low price.

Curious if anybody here has gone from a logitech z-680 (my current sound system) to a 2.1 bookshelf system. Would like an idea of how much increased sound quality I would experience.
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno33 View Post

What is impressive about the Daytons is that they are apparently in the same league with the rest of the speakers listed in pioneerisloud's response. Especially considering their low price.

Curious if anybody here has gone from a logitech z-680 (my current sound system) to a 2.1 bookshelf system. Would like an idea of how much increased sound quality I would experience.

It'll be a 1000x increase in sound quality. tongue.gif

I've only got the Dayton B652's and the DTA-100a myself (for now). They're honestly some of my absolute favorite speakers in the house. They sound just as nice as some of my tower speakers (missing the bass response obviously), but they were only $30.
Junkyard
(18 items)
 
NAStradamous
(12 items)
 
HTPC01
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2320 @ 3.1GHz MSI B75MA-E33 HIS HD7970 3GB @ 1050 / 1700, 1.17v Patriot 2x4GB DDR3-1066 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256GB WD Green 2TB DVDRW Corsair H50 Push / Pull 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
NZXT 120mm fans strapped to stock 7970 cooler Windows 10 Pro Dell 3007WFP Dell 2007FP 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 2007FP Cheap Toshiba (R.I.P. Ducky) PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 950w Cheap Garbage (free) 
MouseAudio
Logitech G602 Yardsale Special 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3330 Asus H61 MSI GTX 750Ti Low Profile 2x4GB Hynix DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
60GB Kingston SSD 1TB Seagate Samsung DVDRW CoolerMaster Gemin II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 + Steam Big Picture / Plex HT 50" Insignia LED 1080p Logitech Rosewill Green 530w 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone HTPC Logitech Pioneer 2.0 tower speakers + 135w RMS Rosewill MCE Remote 
  hide details  
Reply
Junkyard
(18 items)
 
NAStradamous
(12 items)
 
HTPC01
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2320 @ 3.1GHz MSI B75MA-E33 HIS HD7970 3GB @ 1050 / 1700, 1.17v Patriot 2x4GB DDR3-1066 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256GB WD Green 2TB DVDRW Corsair H50 Push / Pull 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
NZXT 120mm fans strapped to stock 7970 cooler Windows 10 Pro Dell 3007WFP Dell 2007FP 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 2007FP Cheap Toshiba (R.I.P. Ducky) PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 950w Cheap Garbage (free) 
MouseAudio
Logitech G602 Yardsale Special 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3330 Asus H61 MSI GTX 750Ti Low Profile 2x4GB Hynix DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
60GB Kingston SSD 1TB Seagate Samsung DVDRW CoolerMaster Gemin II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 + Steam Big Picture / Plex HT 50" Insignia LED 1080p Logitech Rosewill Green 530w 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone HTPC Logitech Pioneer 2.0 tower speakers + 135w RMS Rosewill MCE Remote 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hi-Fi Gear
Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › Home Audio › Hi-Fi Gear › Looking for suggested 2.1 speaker setup to beat Corsair sp2500