Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Is it Possible to Revive my "Dead" Fan (AP181)?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is it Possible to Revive my "Dead" Fan (AP181)? - Page 2

post #11 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehume View Post

To test a fan, do not plug it into your mb but use your PSU for a power source. If your finger can spin it freely but 12 Volts will not make it go, you are looking at an electrical or electronic problem.

 

Diagnosis, prognosis, maybe treatment -- in that order. If the prognosis is hopeless, then there you are. In fact, No Matter Where You Go, There You Are.

Exactly what I wanted to know.

 

I forgot to mention that the rear AP181 had stopped spinning all of a sudden with no prior symptoms of a dying fan. I only noticed when I checked the RPM in SpeedFan (I had it at an inaudible 400RPM). I'll be setting fan RPM alarms from now on tongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawon72 View Post
I thought it may have been a dead fan controller channel, so I plugged the fan into my CPU fan channel, and only the AP181 didn't start up even when I manually gave it a spin.

The fan should have been receiving at least 11V - 11.5V, so I'm certain it must be an electrical or electronic problem.

Quote:
Check out all your wires for continuity to rule out electrical issues. Once you have done that you are left with the fan's PCB, which means the electronics are likely dead.

Since the fan suddenly stopped spinning, I'm pretty sure it's an electronic problem. If I measured the voltage at the PCB of the fan and It shows 11V - 12V, would I then know it's the fans electronics that are dead? If that's the case, is there anything I could do to fix it? Or maybe salvage some parts?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

I use a product called Zep 45.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZEP-45-Penetrating-Lubricant-w-PTFE-/160854332607?hash=item2573aa54bf&item=160854332607&vxp=mtr
Not cheap but a can lasts forever.
I spray some into a bottle and drip it into bearing. Have used it for years on all kinds of fans. Almost never fails to revive the dead and keep lubricating for long long time.

I'll look into this, but it definitely isn't cheap.

 

 

Based on what everyone has posted, I'll avoid using graphite powder in my fans. Is air tool oil fine to use?


Edited by nawon72 - 8/25/12 at 7:09pm

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

Any bearing wears out eventually.
Your car engine runs is all sleeve bearings?

yea, one will wears out within a year, and the other even survive after three years and wore out after ~3.5 years.
it just a matter of time before we need to made any substitute biggrin.gif

except for the material they use as the sleeve tongue.gif
Edited by inVain - 8/25/12 at 6:00pm
post #13 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by inVain View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

Any bearing wears out eventually.
Your car engine runs is all sleeve bearings?

yea, one will wears out within a year, and the other even survive after three years and wore out after ~3.5 years.
it just a matter of time before we need to made any substitute biggrin.gif

except for the material they use as the sleeve tongue.gif

You can make fan the bearings last a lot longer if you keep them lubricated. According to Nidec, "Grease life determines the fan life" (pg 6).

post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nawon72 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by inVain View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

Any bearing wears out eventually.
Your car engine runs is all sleeve bearings?

yea, one will wears out within a year, and the other even survive after three years and wore out after ~3.5 years.
it just a matter of time before we need to made any substitute biggrin.gif

except for the material they use as the sleeve tongue.gif

You can make fan the bearings last a lot longer if you keep them lubricated. According to Nidec, "Grease life determines the fan life" (pg 6).


Thank you for this find. The whole pdf is worth downloading, saving and reading. +rep

alpha updated
(19 items)
 
secundus
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming-7 Intel HD4600 Crucial Ballistix Sport Very Low Profile 8GB Ki... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. C Windows 8.1 Home Premium 64-bit Acer K242HL 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell SK-8110 (PS/2) Seasonic X460 Fanless motherboard tray from CM ATCS 840 Logitech MX 1100 
Mouse PadAudio
Dell Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi MB3 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 Gigabyte GA P55M UD2 ZOTAC/NVidia GTX 650 Ti 2GB 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1333 CAS9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 7200.12 Plextor 24x DVD burner Cooler Master Hyper Z600R Win7 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell E207WFP 20-inch flat panel Logitech Wireless 510 Seasonic X-650 fully modular 80+ Gold Lian Li PC-7FN 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Wireless Mouse WACOM Intuos 3 generic 
  hide details  
Reply
alpha updated
(19 items)
 
secundus
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming-7 Intel HD4600 Crucial Ballistix Sport Very Low Profile 8GB Ki... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. C Windows 8.1 Home Premium 64-bit Acer K242HL 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell SK-8110 (PS/2) Seasonic X460 Fanless motherboard tray from CM ATCS 840 Logitech MX 1100 
Mouse PadAudio
Dell Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi MB3 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 Gigabyte GA P55M UD2 ZOTAC/NVidia GTX 650 Ti 2GB 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1333 CAS9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 7200.12 Plextor 24x DVD burner Cooler Master Hyper Z600R Win7 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell E207WFP 20-inch flat panel Logitech Wireless 510 Seasonic X-650 fully modular 80+ Gold Lian Li PC-7FN 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Wireless Mouse WACOM Intuos 3 generic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehume View Post
Thank you for this find. The whole pdf is worth downloading, saving and reading. +rep

I've got lots more links and PDF's similar to that one. PM me if you would like them.

 

 

But it seems that it has distracted you from my previous post (and questions):

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehume View Post

To test a fan, do not plug it into your mb but use your PSU for a power source. If your finger can spin it freely but 12 Volts will not make it go, you are looking at an electrical or electronic problem.

 

Diagnosis, prognosis, maybe treatment -- in that order. If the prognosis is hopeless, then there you are. In fact, No Matter Where You Go, There You Are.

Exactly what I wanted to know.

 

I forgot to mention that the rear AP181 had stopped spinning all of a sudden with no prior symptoms of a dying fan. I only noticed when I checked the RPM in SpeedFan (I had it at an inaudible 400RPM). I'll be setting fan RPM alarms from now on tongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawon72 View Post
I thought it may have been a dead fan controller channel, so I plugged the fan into my CPU fan channel, and only the AP181 didn't start up even when I manually gave it a spin.

The fan should have been receiving at least 11V - 11.5V, so I'm certain it must be an electrical or electronic problem.

Quote:
Check out all your wires for continuity to rule out electrical issues. Once you have done that you are left with the fan's PCB, which means the electronics are likely dead.

Since the fan suddenly stopped spinning, I'm pretty sure it's an electronic problem. If I measured the voltage at the PCB of the fan and It shows 11V - 12V, would I then know it's the fans electronics that are dead? If that's the case, is there anything I could do to fix it? Or maybe salvage some parts?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

I use a product called Zep 45.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZEP-45-Penetrating-Lubricant-w-PTFE-/160854332607?hash=item2573aa54bf&item=160854332607&vxp=mtr
Not cheap but a can lasts forever.
I spray some into a bottle and drip it into bearing. Have used it for years on all kinds of fans. Almost never fails to revive the dead and keep lubricating for long long time.

I'll look into this, but it definitely isn't cheap.

 

 

Based on what everyone has posted, I'll avoid using graphite powder in my fans. Is air tool oil fine to use?

 

 

 

 

 

Edit: Here are all of the PDFs I have and some links.

http://www.mediafire.com/?8uidb5xzgwwv4

 

Edit2: Added a link and PDF I forgot about.


Edited by nawon72 - 8/29/12 at 8:15am
post #16 of 16
Thanks nawon72 thumb.gif

Good information.

+1 rep
Edited by doyll - 8/27/12 at 3:58am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Is it Possible to Revive my "Dead" Fan (AP181)?