Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › upgrading suggestions?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

upgrading suggestions?

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 
I'm looking to upgrade from my 5770.. any ideas on what i should go with? i have the new amd zambezi bulldozer fx quad core and says it will improve 6 series radeon gfx.. but will it also work for 7 series? i have 2 cards to choose from and leaning towards the 6 series card.. here's links on the cards i have in mind but any suggestions as to what and why i should use something different is well appreciated..

6 series card in mind
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814105003

7 series card in mind
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150598

Thanks in advance and please give me ideas.
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Fx 8350 Asus Crosshair Formula V Gigabyte 7870 2GB O.C edition Corsair Dominator Gt 2 x4 GB Dimms 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OCZ Agility 3 120Gb S.S.D L.G Disc drive Custom Water Loop Windows 7 64-Bit home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
23" AOC at 1920x1080. Razer DeathStalker Basic Edition Rosewill 750 watt 80 plus bronze Sentey BX2-4291 version 2.1 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder Steel Series Black OPS II  Home Theatre jvc receiver 800watt  
  hide details  
Reply
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Fx 8350 Asus Crosshair Formula V Gigabyte 7870 2GB O.C edition Corsair Dominator Gt 2 x4 GB Dimms 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OCZ Agility 3 120Gb S.S.D L.G Disc drive Custom Water Loop Windows 7 64-Bit home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
23" AOC at 1920x1080. Razer DeathStalker Basic Edition Rosewill 750 watt 80 plus bronze Sentey BX2-4291 version 2.1 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder Steel Series Black OPS II  Home Theatre jvc receiver 800watt  
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMunkey View Post

I'm looking to upgrade from my 5770.. any ideas on what i should go with? i have the new amd zambezi bulldozer fx quad core and says it will improve 6 series radeon gfx.. but will it also work for 7 series? i have 2 cards to choose from and leaning towards the 6 series card.. here's links on the cards i have in mind but any suggestions as to what and why i should use something different is well appreciated..
6 series card in mind
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814105003
7 series card in mind
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150598
Thanks in advance and please give me ideas.


OP HD 5770 and HD 6770 are the same card. so definitely don't go for HD 6770.

you could get a GTX 560 for around 130 after rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130664

If you want AMD card get a Radeon HD 6870. costs around USD 160

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161396

Both these cards are faster than HD 7770 and better options.
Edited by raghu78 - 8/25/12 at 10:43am
Fragbox
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2400 DH67BL AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series XFX HD 6950 2GB 
RAMRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Western Digital Caviar Green SONY DVD-RW AD-7260S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 32 bit BENQ G2420HD Logitech K200 Seasonic VX550 psu 
CaseMouse
ANTEC 200 V2 Logitech mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
Fragbox
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2400 DH67BL AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series XFX HD 6950 2GB 
RAMRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Western Digital Caviar Green SONY DVD-RW AD-7260S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 32 bit BENQ G2420HD Logitech K200 Seasonic VX550 psu 
CaseMouse
ANTEC 200 V2 Logitech mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 5
Thread Starter 
think it's gonna be this card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150563

alittle pricie but i like how it will serve for the graphic design and another 32' tv well.. any other suggestions will be appreciated i want to stick with amd for this build.. i know themes never work but i like amd and simply i like the look on intel fanboys faces when i have the same performance for cheaper lol tongue.gif
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Fx 8350 Asus Crosshair Formula V Gigabyte 7870 2GB O.C edition Corsair Dominator Gt 2 x4 GB Dimms 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OCZ Agility 3 120Gb S.S.D L.G Disc drive Custom Water Loop Windows 7 64-Bit home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
23" AOC at 1920x1080. Razer DeathStalker Basic Edition Rosewill 750 watt 80 plus bronze Sentey BX2-4291 version 2.1 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder Steel Series Black OPS II  Home Theatre jvc receiver 800watt  
  hide details  
Reply
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Fx 8350 Asus Crosshair Formula V Gigabyte 7870 2GB O.C edition Corsair Dominator Gt 2 x4 GB Dimms 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OCZ Agility 3 120Gb S.S.D L.G Disc drive Custom Water Loop Windows 7 64-Bit home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
23" AOC at 1920x1080. Razer DeathStalker Basic Edition Rosewill 750 watt 80 plus bronze Sentey BX2-4291 version 2.1 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder Steel Series Black OPS II  Home Theatre jvc receiver 800watt  
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMunkey View Post

think it's gonna be this card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150563

alittle pricie but i like how it will serve for the graphic design and another 32' tv well.. any other suggestions will be appreciated i want to stick with amd for this build.. i know themes never work but i like amd and simply i like the look on intel fanboys faces when i have the same performance for cheaper lol tongue.gif

At that price the card to get is HD 7850 2GB. Its much faster than HD 6870 2GB.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102998

HD 7850 has a much superior DX11 architecture. So the HD 6870 is no match for the HD 7850. HD 7850 is a 28nm chip compared to HD 6870 which is a 40nm chip . HD 7850 draws lesser power and runs cooler than HD 6870.

Perf wise - HD 6870 < GTX 560 Ti < HD 6950 < HD 7850

Also HD 7850 has amazing overclocking headroom. easily overclocks to 1.15 - 1.2 Ghz and at those speeds get close to GTX 580 perf.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_7850_PCS_Plus/9.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_7850_PCS_Plus/31.html

BF3 1920 X 1200

HD 6870 - 31.4
HD 7850 (860 Mhz) - 40.5
HD 7850 (1 Ghz) - 45.4
HD 7850 (1.24 Ghz) - 50.2
GTX 580 - 51.7
Fragbox
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2400 DH67BL AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series XFX HD 6950 2GB 
RAMRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Western Digital Caviar Green SONY DVD-RW AD-7260S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 32 bit BENQ G2420HD Logitech K200 Seasonic VX550 psu 
CaseMouse
ANTEC 200 V2 Logitech mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
Fragbox
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2400 DH67BL AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series XFX HD 6950 2GB 
RAMRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Western Digital Caviar Green SONY DVD-RW AD-7260S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 32 bit BENQ G2420HD Logitech K200 Seasonic VX550 psu 
CaseMouse
ANTEC 200 V2 Logitech mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu78 View Post

At that price the card to get is HD 7850 2GB. Its much faster than HD 6870 2GB.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102998
HD 7850 has a much superior DX11 architecture. So the HD 6870 is no match for the HD 7850. HD 7850 is a 28nm chip compared to HD 6870 which is a 40nm chip . HD 7850 draws lesser power and runs cooler than HD 6870.
Perf wise - HD 6870 < GTX 560 Ti < HD 6950 < HD 7850
Also HD 7850 has amazing overclocking headroom. easily overclocks to 1.15 - 1.2 Ghz and at those speeds get close to GTX 580 perf.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_7850_PCS_Plus/9.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_7850_PCS_Plus/31.html
BF3 1920 X 1200
HD 6870 - 31.4
HD 7850 (860 Mhz) - 40.5
HD 7850 (1 Ghz) - 45.4
HD 7850 (1.24 Ghz) - 50.2
GTX 580 - 51.7

thanks i think i'm gonna go with your pick lol i used to be tight on budget but here lately new job change gives me an extra $200 a month so i have big plans for my pc.. soon as i get this card i'll be modding the case and going liquid cpu true loop smile.gif thanks for the decision.
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Fx 8350 Asus Crosshair Formula V Gigabyte 7870 2GB O.C edition Corsair Dominator Gt 2 x4 GB Dimms 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OCZ Agility 3 120Gb S.S.D L.G Disc drive Custom Water Loop Windows 7 64-Bit home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
23" AOC at 1920x1080. Razer DeathStalker Basic Edition Rosewill 750 watt 80 plus bronze Sentey BX2-4291 version 2.1 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder Steel Series Black OPS II  Home Theatre jvc receiver 800watt  
  hide details  
Reply
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Fx 8350 Asus Crosshair Formula V Gigabyte 7870 2GB O.C edition Corsair Dominator Gt 2 x4 GB Dimms 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OCZ Agility 3 120Gb S.S.D L.G Disc drive Custom Water Loop Windows 7 64-Bit home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
23" AOC at 1920x1080. Razer DeathStalker Basic Edition Rosewill 750 watt 80 plus bronze Sentey BX2-4291 version 2.1 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder Steel Series Black OPS II  Home Theatre jvc receiver 800watt  
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › upgrading suggestions?