Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › 3D gaming (steam games)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

3D gaming (steam games)

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
Okay so I have my windows resolution set to 720p @ 60hz but whenever I enter a steam game it is set to my native resoltuion of 1080p... with 3D enabled this makes the image distorted and the 3D does not want to turn on... I can't get into menus to change resolution because of distorted image so how can I change resolution when I want to play in 3D?? I tried using launch options for specific games but -w 1280 -h 720 doesn't seem to be working. I always get a error 1080p@60 is not a supported 3D format...

Anyway to set it up so I can change it to 720p easily and back to 1080 when I want to play in 3D? Been trying to figure this out all day...
Blaze Up
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
Blaze Up
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
post #2 of 8
Because you need a 3d vision enabled monitor at 120hz refresh rate to run 3d, not 60hz. Your resolution shouldn't affect this, it is your refresh rate causing the issue.
Edited by tha d0ctor - 8/25/12 at 9:02pm
post #3 of 8
He's using 3dtvplay, 60hz is all that's needed for 720p gaming.
There arn't any tellies that take a 120hz signal..

Just setup the game to run in 720p from the in game menu. Leave windows at 1080p.
Reboot the game, making sure 3d option is enabled in the nVidia control panel. When the game loads the tv should auto detect 3d and enter into 3d mode, turn your glasses on and play.
Edited by emett - 8/26/12 at 12:36am
My computer
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k  Asus Sabertooth X79 Gigabyte G1 1080 Gigabyte G1 1080 
RAMHard DriveCoolingMonitor
16gb ddr3  OCZ Vertex 3  Noctura D-14 ASUS MG279Q 
Power
Corsair TX850 
  hide details  
Reply
My computer
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k  Asus Sabertooth X79 Gigabyte G1 1080 Gigabyte G1 1080 
RAMHard DriveCoolingMonitor
16gb ddr3  OCZ Vertex 3  Noctura D-14 ASUS MG279Q 
Power
Corsair TX850 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tha d0ctor View Post

Because you need a 3d vision enabled monitor at 120hz refresh rate to run 3d, not 60hz. Your resolution shouldn't affect this, it is your refresh rate causing the issue.

3D is not played in 120hz... you're wrong. If you enable 3D @ 1080p the refresh rate is 24hz, 720p is @ 60hz... Hence playing in 3D at 720p
Quote:
Originally Posted by emett View Post

He's using 3dtvplay, 60hz is all that's needed for 720p gaming.
There arn't any tellies that take a 120hz signal..
Just setup the game to run in 720p from the in game menu. Leave windows at 1080p.
Reboot the game, making sure 3d option is enabled in the nVidia control panel. When the game loads the tv should auto detect 3d and enter into 3d mode, turn your glasses on and play.

Okay that is my problem... Every time I try to set my desktop resolution to 1080p 2D it gives me 1920x540 and is some wierd distorted image... Even if my TV is set to 2D... Windows only comes in when I set it to a 3D resolution...

So now I have 720p 3D for my windows resolution and certain games I can get into menu and set to 720p and then the 3D works fine, but for some games, I can't see the menu because it tries launching in 1080p and it gives me black screen or really distorted screen...


Main question..."Is there anyway in nvidia control panel to set up screen resolutions for different games?"
Blaze Up
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
Blaze Up
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
post #5 of 8
What model tv do you have?
My computer
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k  Asus Sabertooth X79 Gigabyte G1 1080 Gigabyte G1 1080 
RAMHard DriveCoolingMonitor
16gb ddr3  OCZ Vertex 3  Noctura D-14 ASUS MG279Q 
Power
Corsair TX850 
  hide details  
Reply
My computer
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k  Asus Sabertooth X79 Gigabyte G1 1080 Gigabyte G1 1080 
RAMHard DriveCoolingMonitor
16gb ddr3  OCZ Vertex 3  Noctura D-14 ASUS MG279Q 
Power
Corsair TX850 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by emett View Post

What model tv do you have?


Vizio E3D420VX
Blaze Up
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
Blaze Up
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcenvy88 View Post

3D is not played in 120hz... you're wrong. If you enable 3D @ 1080p the refresh rate is 24hz, 720p is @ 60hz... Hence playing in 3D at 720p

Well, actually tha d0ctor is right... and wrong. You're both talking about 2 different types of 3D tech. Those that use Nvidia 3dvision need to have a 3dvision enabled moitor or tv, capable of displaying in excess of 120hz. 3dvision also requires battery powered shutter glasses - without both of these, well, no 3D. that's because the tech constantly throws alternating left/right images at you, while at the same time the shutter glasses are alternating, allowing only left image to be visible with left eye, and right image to be visible with right eye.
This is called Active 3D.

now what you're using is Passive 3d, where both left eye and right eye images are displayed at the same time, in an 'every-other-pixel' type of arrangement. While there are various methods of achieving passive 3d, polarization seems the most popular. In this case, The pixels that make up one image will be polarized, and the other not. When you put on the polarized glasses, the left and right eyes are brought together and voila. So, effectively, the resolution for your game is HALVED from 1920x1080 to 1920x540.

the main reason i bring this up, is that it sound's like a driver issue to me, for some reason, ur pc is using that one half ratio as ur full resolution. i gotta run, but i'm gonna dig a bit deeper for u when i get a chance.
post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1282 View Post

Well, actually tha d0ctor is right... and wrong. You're both talking about 2 different types of 3D tech. Those that use Nvidia 3dvision need to have a 3dvision enabled moitor or tv, capable of displaying in excess of 120hz. 3dvision also requires battery powered shutter glasses - without both of these, well, no 3D. that's because the tech constantly throws alternating left/right images at you, while at the same time the shutter glasses are alternating, allowing only left image to be visible with left eye, and right image to be visible with right eye.
This is called Active 3D.
now what you're using is Passive 3d, where both left eye and right eye images are displayed at the same time, in an 'every-other-pixel' type of arrangement. While there are various methods of achieving passive 3d, polarization seems the most popular. In this case, The pixels that make up one image will be polarized, and the other not. When you put on the polarized glasses, the left and right eyes are brought together and voila. So, effectively, the resolution for your game is HALVED from 1920x1080 to 1920x540.
the main reason i bring this up, is that it sound's like a driver issue to me, for some reason, ur pc is using that one half ratio as ur full resolution. i gotta run, but i'm gonna dig a bit deeper for u when i get a chance.

sorry i never followed up to your great answer. thank you!
Blaze Up
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
Blaze Up
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PC Gaming
Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › 3D gaming (steam games)