Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [H] 660 Ti OC vs. 670 OC vs. 7950 OC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[H] 660 Ti OC vs. 670 OC vs. 7950 OC - Page 34

post #331 of 363
Well.... I know where my money is going now..... XFX Radeon 7950 Core Edition thumb.gif £232, I feel good knowing my £232 card will destroy a £288 GTX670
Ryzen
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1700 Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K5 Nvidia GTX 770 G.Skill Trident Z 16GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung Evo 960 M.2 Stock AMD Windows 10 Pro Superflower 650W 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1700 Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K5 Nvidia GTX 770 G.Skill Trident Z 16GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung Evo 960 M.2 Stock AMD Windows 10 Pro Superflower 650W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #332 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by airisom2 View Post

It's a pretty tough call. You can get the hawk for ~$260 and the PE for ~$300, and the performance on both of these are very respective to their prices, meaning that the 660Ti usually performs better, on average, but at a slightly higher premium. So, if you can afford the difference, then the 660Ti will be the better card to get. You shouldn't be dissatisfied with either card, though, because both of them perform admirably.

actually it is a card im considering for a friend build. for his budget (1000$ but because of taxes in Isreal its more lik ~850$) i suggested him the MSI HD 7850, a great non ref card and actually the cheapest available 7850, and he asked me if he would add a bit more to the GPU budget which card should he get, which i came to the crossroad of these 2. he isn't very PC knowing (sp he won't OC but i try to convince him biggrin.gif though i myself haven't started yet. no real reason i guess). the hawk does have its backplate (i suggested him the CM Enforver...)and the gpu reactor which adds to the 7870's OCing but the PE is also not to be underestimated, though the bus... i think the card would be in his pc for a long time and considering that even with MSI's triple over volting the 660 ti isn't the OCer like the 78xx cards (or am i wrong?)
"Black & Red"
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-3570k ASUS Maximus V Formula Sapphire HD 7950 OC 950Mhz Edition G.Skill 16GB (2x8G) 1333Mhz 9-9-9-24 (F3-10666C... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 128GB SSD Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB ASUS DRW-24B3ST DVD Burner Antec Kuhler 920 
PowerCase
Corsair AX 750 Corsair C70 
  hide details  
Reply
"Black & Red"
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-3570k ASUS Maximus V Formula Sapphire HD 7950 OC 950Mhz Edition G.Skill 16GB (2x8G) 1333Mhz 9-9-9-24 (F3-10666C... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 128GB SSD Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB ASUS DRW-24B3ST DVD Burner Antec Kuhler 920 
PowerCase
Corsair AX 750 Corsair C70 
  hide details  
Reply
post #333 of 363
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKTGX95 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by airisom2 View Post

It's a pretty tough call. You can get the hawk for ~$260 and the PE for ~$300, and the performance on both of these are very respective to their prices, meaning that the 660Ti usually performs better, on average, but at a slightly higher premium. So, if you can afford the difference, then the 660Ti will be the better card to get. You shouldn't be dissatisfied with either card, though, because both of them perform admirably.

actually it is a card im considering for a friend build. for his budget (1000$ but because of taxes in Isreal its more lik ~850$) i suggested him the MSI HD 7850, a great non ref card and actually the cheapest available 7850, and he asked me if he would add a bit more to the GPU budget which card should he get, which i came to the crossroad of these 2. he isn't very PC knowing (sp he won't OC but i try to convince him biggrin.gif though i myself haven't started yet. no real reason i guess). the hawk does have its backplate (i suggested him the CM Enforver...)and the gpu reactor which adds to the 7870's OCing but the PE is also not to be underestimated, though the bus... i think the card would be in his pc for a long time and considering that even with MSI's triple over volting the 660 ti isn't the OCer like the 78xx cards (or am i wrong?)

Grammar please...Anyways, the reviews that I read on the 7870 HAWK have gotten the card to around 1250-1300MHz with voltage adjustment, and some reviewers have gotten the 660Ti PE up to around 1150 non-boost clocks. Since your friend isn't that interested in overclocking, the boost clock function of the 660Ti may benefit him/her. Although the 7870 has a wider bus width, it really doesn't have a huge advantage over the 192-bit 660Ti, and the numerous reviews on both of these cards have proven that. Maybe it does, who knows (wide bus width + weaker gpu ~ shorter bus width + stronger gpu. This is just a vague prediction on my part). Plus, if your friend has any games that use Physx, the 660Ti will be a more visual pleasure than the 7870, unless you purchase a cheap NV card with the 7870 to get Physx. With that said, and with what you said, I believe that the 660Ti is the better buy for your situation.
Edited by airisom2 - 9/11/12 at 12:29pm
post #334 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by airisom2 View Post

Grammar please...Anyways, the reviews that I read on the 7870 HAWK have gotten the card to around 1250-1300MHz with voltage adjustment, and some reviewers have gotten the 660Ti PE up to around 1150 non-boost clocks. Since your friend isn't that interested in overclocking, the boost clock function of the 660Ti may benefit him/her. Although the 7870 has a wider bus width, it really doesn't have a huge advantage over the 192-bit 660Ti, and the numerous reviews on both of these cards have proven that. Maybe it does, who knows (wide bus width + weaker gpu ~ shorter bus width + stronger gpu. This is just a vague prediction on my part). Plus, if your friend has any games that use Physx, the 660Ti will be a more visual pleasure than the 7870, unless you purchase a cheap NV card with the 7870 to get Physx. With that said, and with what you said, I believe that the 660Ti is the better buy for your situation.

yeah, when you think and type fast... yu makez erorz. tongue.gif

While i agree with most of your points, there are a few tiny things i don't. The 660 Ti is a very 1080P card which as i know my friend and as many people would do in the future is but a new (obviously bigger) monitor and hook it up to their old PC. this is where i see the slight weakness of the 660Ti. Also, even if Physx would have mattered (my friend has no idea what the hell is that thing) only few titles really use it, and the ones that do make a small difference. but overall i agree that the 660Ti PE is the better card for him but i'll still try to convince him to OC his card.
"Black & Red"
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-3570k ASUS Maximus V Formula Sapphire HD 7950 OC 950Mhz Edition G.Skill 16GB (2x8G) 1333Mhz 9-9-9-24 (F3-10666C... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 128GB SSD Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB ASUS DRW-24B3ST DVD Burner Antec Kuhler 920 
PowerCase
Corsair AX 750 Corsair C70 
  hide details  
Reply
"Black & Red"
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-3570k ASUS Maximus V Formula Sapphire HD 7950 OC 950Mhz Edition G.Skill 16GB (2x8G) 1333Mhz 9-9-9-24 (F3-10666C... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 128GB SSD Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB ASUS DRW-24B3ST DVD Burner Antec Kuhler 920 
PowerCase
Corsair AX 750 Corsair C70 
  hide details  
Reply
post #335 of 363
Hey guys i need some help...Im looking at both of these cards the 660ti asus oc or top versions and the gtx 670ftw edition or the galaxy version of the Ftw. I plan on playing demanding games like BF3 and such and also looking at buying a 120hz monitor later this year. The real question.. is it worth 70-100$ more to upgrade to the 670?? does it make much of a difference at all? I would love to save money and im stuck at what card to buy.
post #336 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxUS View Post

Hey guys i need some help...Im looking at both of these cards the 660ti asus oc or top versions and the gtx 670ftw edition or the galaxy version of the Ftw. I plan on playing demanding games like BF3 and such and also looking at buying a 120hz monitor later this year. The real question.. is it worth 70-100$ more to upgrade to the 670?? does it make much of a difference at all? I would love to save money and im stuck at what card to buy.

Definitely. The extra bandwidth the GTX 670 offers come into play at higher settings and resolutions compared to the 660.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomfix View Post

Well.... I know where my money is going now..... XFX Radeon 7950 Core Edition thumb.gif £232, I feel good knowing my £232 card will destroy a £288 GTX670

Destory is not the right word to describe the situation. A dud HD 7950 (can't do above 1150) won't come close to a good clocking GTX 670.
It is a great card for the money but it doesn't destroy the GTX 670. they perform similarly but Nvidia cards have more features.
Anyway I doubt you will notice anything against your HD5870 with that Sempron.
Edited by HeadlessKnight - 9/11/12 at 5:46pm
Desktop
(16 items)
 
Laptop
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.40 GHz Asus Rampage V Extreme/U3.1 MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB  Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4) DDR4-3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG 850 PRO 1TB SAMSUNG 950 PRO NVMe 512GB NZXT Kraken X62 Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus VG236H 23" 120 Sony XBR43X800D 43" 4K TV Logitech G910 Orion Spark + Razer Turret EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G3 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Graphite 760T Black Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Razer Turret Razer Goliathus Asus Xonar Essence STX II 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4720HQ @ 2.60 GHz Asus G751JY Asus GTX 980M 4GB SK hynix HMT41GS6BFR8A-PB 16GB (2x8) DDR3L-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
SanDisk SD7SB3Q128G1002  HGST Travelstar 7K1000 1TB HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GUC0N Windows 10 Home 64-bit 
MonitorAudio
LG Philips LP173WF4-SPD1 + G-SYNC @ 75 Hz Realtek ALC668 
  hide details  
Reply
Desktop
(16 items)
 
Laptop
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.40 GHz Asus Rampage V Extreme/U3.1 MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB  Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4) DDR4-3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG 850 PRO 1TB SAMSUNG 950 PRO NVMe 512GB NZXT Kraken X62 Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus VG236H 23" 120 Sony XBR43X800D 43" 4K TV Logitech G910 Orion Spark + Razer Turret EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G3 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Graphite 760T Black Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Razer Turret Razer Goliathus Asus Xonar Essence STX II 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4720HQ @ 2.60 GHz Asus G751JY Asus GTX 980M 4GB SK hynix HMT41GS6BFR8A-PB 16GB (2x8) DDR3L-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
SanDisk SD7SB3Q128G1002  HGST Travelstar 7K1000 1TB HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GUC0N Windows 10 Home 64-bit 
MonitorAudio
LG Philips LP173WF4-SPD1 + G-SYNC @ 75 Hz Realtek ALC668 
  hide details  
Reply
post #337 of 363
skipping the GTX 6 series all together, riding out Fermi (GTX 580, SLi GTX 560 Ti's) until GTX 7 series.
HD Radeon is just not my thing.
(not knocking them, just not for me.)
post #338 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alienware69 View Post

LOL, after reading this I'd be pissed if I wasted money on a 670. I just recommended that card in another thread too lachen.gif

LOL. I be pissed If I still gamed on a 1080P monitor. ..Seewatidid?

The 670 has its target audience and is still a great card especially when you get a good clocker. At resolutions higher than 1080P it pulls away from the 660TI and when u turn AA all the way up it pulls away even more.

Don't get me wrong the 660TI is an OK card. Its just priced to high since the 7950 is in the same price range.
Crizume
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 3770K Z77 OC Formula Gigabyte 670 8GB Kingston 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 830 Windows 7 Yamakasi Catleap @110Hz Corsair K60 
CaseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Phantom RAT 7, Logitech G600 Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 
  hide details  
Reply
Crizume
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 3770K Z77 OC Formula Gigabyte 670 8GB Kingston 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 830 Windows 7 Yamakasi Catleap @110Hz Corsair K60 
CaseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Phantom RAT 7, Logitech G600 Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 
  hide details  
Reply
post #339 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomfix View Post

Well.... I know where my money is going now..... XFX Radeon 7950 Core Edition thumb.gif £232, I feel good knowing my £232 card will destroy a £288 GTX670

Setting the costs aside, all things being equal, and assuming both can be overclocked to their limits; it would be one hell of a fight biggrin.gif

Very much like if Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. were to meet in the ring tongue.gif
post #340 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlessKnight View Post

Destroy is not the right word to describe the situation. A dud HD 7950 (can't do above 1150) won't come close to a good clocking GTX 670.
It is a great card for the money but it doesn't destroy the GTX 670. they perform similarly but Nvidia cards have more features.

Destroy is certainly not the word.

It cannot be denied that with the last round of price cuts, the 7950 is not only the best deal today but IMHO, the best ever deal in the price/performance category.

But not all 7950 are going to be able to OC well enough to beat the 670 OC. If that were guaranteed, the 7950 Boost would be clocking 1050 mhz right out of the box not 925 mhz and winning every comparison forcing Nvidia to drop prices on the 670 not the other way around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruennis View Post

Score is slightly higher now but promised myself I would stop pushing it. Card can benchmark and game at 1285MHz and 1850MHz at 75% fan usage. It is not very practical to be running it this fast but this gives overclockers in the market for a new card an idea of just how much fun this card is because at the moment I'm feeling like 'more powah' biggrin.gif

Verification URL: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/4356304

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/4364455

My 670 FTW running at 1335mhz and stock memory has no problem matching the graphics score of his beastly 7950. 10899 for my 670 vs 10651 for his 7950 in graphics.

I've so far managed a 55.9 fps to his 56.0 fps in Heaven using the same settings as well. Heaven is very different than 3dmark11 in that it seems to require bumping memory just as much as core. Memory OC had a negligable effect on the 3dmark11 score.

With the fan set at 80%, I hit a maximum of 62c. I'd be curious to see how high I could get with a modified bios that allows voltage tweaking but just like Bruennis said, it's not practical to run your card at the edge 24/7 and expect it to last.
Upstairs Rig
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k Asus Maximus VI Hero evga 1080 Ti with Hybrid mod Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb WD Caviar Black Corsair h100i GTX Windows 8.1 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
xb280hk EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 Corsair Carbide Air 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Upstairs Rig
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k Asus Maximus VI Hero evga 1080 Ti with Hybrid mod Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb WD Caviar Black Corsair h100i GTX Windows 8.1 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
xb280hk EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 Corsair Carbide Air 540 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [H] 660 Ti OC vs. 670 OC vs. 7950 OC