Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Swiftech MCP35X Noise Problem
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Swiftech MCP35X Noise Problem

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
Is this a realistic sound from the MCP35X? It's really noisy, in fact I can hear it in the next room right now like 5 meters away from me.
I filled the system correctly by only turning the pump on when I had water in the pump/reservoir.

Here's a video of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY5aeI36UEc

It's not connected to the motherboard as I'm currently bleed testing, it's only connected to the MOLEX power cable.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Black Mesa
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5930K @ 4.4 GHz 1.275v Asus Rampage V Extreme ASUS Strix 1080 Ti @ 2050 / 11750 4x4GB DDR4 2800Hz Corsair Dominator Platinum 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe 512GB 2x OCZ Vertex 4 256GB NZXT Kraken X62 /w 4x Noctua NF-A14 PWM Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus VG248QE 144Hz 1080p BenQ XL2410T 120Hz 1080p Corsair K70 RGB MX Brown Seasonic Prime 750w Titanium 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT H440 NE Black /w Window Logitech G500s Corsair MM200 XL Asus Essence One 
AudioAudio
Philips Fidelio X1 AKG K7XX 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Mesa
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5930K @ 4.4 GHz 1.275v Asus Rampage V Extreme ASUS Strix 1080 Ti @ 2050 / 11750 4x4GB DDR4 2800Hz Corsair Dominator Platinum 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe 512GB 2x OCZ Vertex 4 256GB NZXT Kraken X62 /w 4x Noctua NF-A14 PWM Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus VG248QE 144Hz 1080p BenQ XL2410T 120Hz 1080p Corsair K70 RGB MX Brown Seasonic Prime 750w Titanium 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT H440 NE Black /w Window Logitech G500s Corsair MM200 XL Asus Essence One 
AudioAudio
Philips Fidelio X1 AKG K7XX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 22
Looks like you have pepto-bismol in that thing. Sounds like you still got a lot of trapped air in the tubes. Are you cutting it on and off and squeezing the tubes. Rocking the case front to back and side to side. Tapping on the rad while rocking it. It will get less audible when you get the lines bleed out. But it seems to need a lot more of trapped air taken out. Thanks

Edit: Unless the mix you have in there is too thick.
Edited by KILLER_K - 8/28/12 at 12:39pm
post #3 of 22
you gotz mega air, almost bordrering on froth. remove res top, remove sponge
filter and allow the res return to unbubblie output.

airdeano
post #4 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER_K View Post

Looks like you have pepto-bismol in that thing. Sounds like you still got a lot of trapped air in the tubes. Are you cutting it on and off and squeezing the tubes. Rocking the case front to back and side to side. Tapping on the rad while rocking it. It will get less audible when you get the lines bleed out. But it seems to need a lot more of trapped air taken out. Thanks
Edit: Unless the mix you have in there is too thick.

this mixed with it's running full tilt, it's not a quiet pump at full rpm, which is why most people go with d5 vario pumps, which can usually be quieter pumps, or why most people mount ddc pumps low in the case and try to get it as far away from where they sit without putting it out of the case
Main Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 6600k Asus Z170I Pro Gaming EVGA 1080TI FTW3 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz C16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850evo Western Digital Red Hyper 212+ W7 64 bit 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G610 Orion EVGA Supernova G3 850 Fractal Design Core 500 roccat nyth 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 6600k Asus Z170I Pro Gaming EVGA 1080TI FTW3 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz C16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850evo Western Digital Red Hyper 212+ W7 64 bit 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G610 Orion EVGA Supernova G3 850 Fractal Design Core 500 roccat nyth 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebadlemonade View Post

this mixed with it's running full tilt, it's not a quiet pump at full rpm, which is why most people go with d5 vario pumps, which can usually be quieter pumps, or why most people mount ddc pumps low in the case and try to get it as far away from where they sit without putting it out of the case

Neither of my pumps make that noise. He has to get the air out of it. My mcp 655-b or my mcp 355 isn't this loud. If yours is that loud you got some issues then. As mine always has a hum to it and that is about it. Thanks
post #6 of 22
Had the same exact issue with my MCP35X . The top hasn't been machined properly. Either you do an RMA or you open it up and void your warranty.

In the top, right near the channel where the water gets pumped out there was a unmilled piece of plastic which acted like a reed on an instrument.

Here's a terrible picture of it:


EDIT: there's probably some air in there as well, give it a good shake when it's not running. When Martin reviewed the pump he didn't like the sponge and made a tube in the res. Here's the review, picture is at about 35% in the review.
EDIT2: I opened mine up and cut the excess plastic away with a standard cutting knife.
Edited by Bloitz - 8/28/12 at 1:08pm
Black Betty
(16 items)
 
  
Reply
Black Betty
(16 items)
 
  
Reply
post #7 of 22
Your problem is very obvious, you are running the pump dry. There's almost no liquid below the sponge...


Please say what that stuff is. It looks a lot thicker than water or distilled water.
It doesn't want to fall down the sponge. It even sticks on the top of your rez. The bubbles stay bubbles.


It's also not a good idea to run an mcp35x on a pad (or is that velcro? :/) at 12V. Use a heatsink or pwn control the thing.


Btw. Benelux brahs will know

Edited by StijnDP - 8/28/12 at 1:32pm
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by StijnDP View Post


Hell yeah ! Fristi !
Black Betty
(16 items)
 
  
Reply
Black Betty
(16 items)
 
  
Reply
post #9 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloitz View Post

Had the same exact issue with my MCP35X . The top hasn't been machined properly. Either you do an RMA or you open it up and void your warranty.
In the top, right near the channel where the water gets pumped out there was a unmilled piece of plastic which acted like a reed on an instrument.
Here's a terrible picture of it:

EDIT: there's probably some air in there as well, give it a good shake when it's not running. When Martin reviewed the pump he didn't like the sponge and made a tube in the res. Here's the review, picture is at about 35% in the review.
EDIT2: I opened mine up and cut the excess plastic away with a standard cutting knife.

Wow that's terrible. I've sent the video to the people I bought the pump and res from. I'm going to call them tomorrow.
I've also just noticed the pump reservoir is poorly cut in the water inlets and is leaking. Nowhere else in my system I have leaks, only on the two reservoir inlets. And no, I didn't over tighten them or ruin the inlets....

I was thinking about getting my old pump again and then get another reservoir because this is just bull****.
Same company and 2 faulty components.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StijnDP View Post

Your problem is very obvious, you are running the pump dry. There's almost no liquid below the sponge...

Please say what that stuff is. It looks a lot thicker than water or distilled water.
It doesn't want to fall down the sponge. It even sticks on the top of your rez. The bubbles stay bubbles.
It's also not a good idea to run an mcp35x on a pad (or is that velcro? :/) at 12V. Use a heatsink or pwn control the thing.

It's vecro yes, and I've removed the sponge and fiilter right after I posted the video. Hasn't helped.
The water I'm using is Mayhem Pastel Grape Red http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-013-MH
Edited by Arkheios - 8/28/12 at 1:42pm
Black Mesa
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5930K @ 4.4 GHz 1.275v Asus Rampage V Extreme ASUS Strix 1080 Ti @ 2050 / 11750 4x4GB DDR4 2800Hz Corsair Dominator Platinum 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe 512GB 2x OCZ Vertex 4 256GB NZXT Kraken X62 /w 4x Noctua NF-A14 PWM Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus VG248QE 144Hz 1080p BenQ XL2410T 120Hz 1080p Corsair K70 RGB MX Brown Seasonic Prime 750w Titanium 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT H440 NE Black /w Window Logitech G500s Corsair MM200 XL Asus Essence One 
AudioAudio
Philips Fidelio X1 AKG K7XX 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Mesa
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5930K @ 4.4 GHz 1.275v Asus Rampage V Extreme ASUS Strix 1080 Ti @ 2050 / 11750 4x4GB DDR4 2800Hz Corsair Dominator Platinum 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe 512GB 2x OCZ Vertex 4 256GB NZXT Kraken X62 /w 4x Noctua NF-A14 PWM Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus VG248QE 144Hz 1080p BenQ XL2410T 120Hz 1080p Corsair K70 RGB MX Brown Seasonic Prime 750w Titanium 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT H440 NE Black /w Window Logitech G500s Corsair MM200 XL Asus Essence One 
AudioAudio
Philips Fidelio X1 AKG K7XX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 22
Poor pump. What'd you do? You're gonna burn it out by running it maxed out on a sponge lol.
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Swiftech MCP35X Noise Problem