Originally Posted by Darylrese
Ive owned both AMD and NVIDIA cards, i have to say NVIDIA is a lot better. The performance is better with NIVIDA as a rule
and so are the drivers. I wouldnt go back to AMD having owned both.
The last AMD card i had was a 6950 (flashed to 6970) and although it was good, it didnt perform as well as an equivilent nvidia card accross the board and after a month or so i was itching to go back to green team because of problems with some of my favourite games. Upgraded from that to a GTX 580 and never looked back. Mind you, i used to also be a huge fan of AMD CPU's until i tried intel for the first time too. You will recieve a mixed bag of comments depending on which manufacture people are used to and prefer
Either way i dont think you will be dissapointed with a new card and the Asus Direct CU II is a great cooler no matter what chipset
No, it is not a rule. The 6970 competed directly with the GTX 570 and in that regard, it did a pretty good job.
1. Your card choice depends on what games you want to play; some games will be better on green hardware, others on red.
2. If you don't care about noise/power, I'd say save some more cash and grab a used HD6970 for about $200-$230 instead. Unless you intend to OC the 7850. I don't know how much the new drivers have helped the 7850's performance, but if it is anything like with the 79xx series, then it should be a solid performer when OC'd. (At stock, it is about on par with a 6950 but it OCs better ).
3. Check the OCN Market place. I saw a GTX 580 there for less than your max budget. (Assuming you don't mind getting a used card). AnandTech's video card summary is a good start, but don't make it your end-game since it doesn't take into account driver improvements usually.
- If you are bent on getting a current-gen new card, the yes, get the 7850.
- If you don't mind getting an older gen/used card, then here's my suggested order of performance: GTX 580 > GTX 570/HD 6970 > HD 6950 >= GTX 560Ti
Mind you, the GTX 560 Ti can be had for dirt cheap and will probably be the best bang for your buck.Edited by dklimitless - 8/30/12 at 8:34am