Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › [Official] NVIDIA GTX 660TI Owners club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] NVIDIA GTX 660TI Owners club - Page 254

post #2531 of 3662
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteZHD View Post

Thanks for that guide, it'll be helpful when moving those games, I can't imagine downloading them all over again.

Your welcome! To this day I still use it to move my steam and origin games between my drives with ease! thumb.gif
post #2532 of 3662
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteZHD View Post

That's definitely one to consider, I'll do a few comparisons to the OCZ Vertex 4, reliability is important, it's why I got the Sabertooth.

I can't afford to make the transition yet. I want at least a 256 GB.
Kung Fury X
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k MSI Z170A XPower Gaming Titanium  Radeon R9 Fury X  16GB (8x2GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
500GB Samsung 850 EVO 1TB WD Black Some external ASUS garbage Custom EK PETG with Bitspower Fittings 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win10 Pro 64 bit BenQ XL2730Z 2560 x 1440 @ 144hz Logitech G710+ Blue EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750 Watt 
CaseMouseAudioOther
NZXT 440 (White) Logitech g502 Bose Companion 2 Series III Satellite Speakers Xbox One Elite Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
Kung Fury X
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k MSI Z170A XPower Gaming Titanium  Radeon R9 Fury X  16GB (8x2GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
500GB Samsung 850 EVO 1TB WD Black Some external ASUS garbage Custom EK PETG with Bitspower Fittings 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win10 Pro 64 bit BenQ XL2730Z 2560 x 1440 @ 144hz Logitech G710+ Blue EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750 Watt 
CaseMouseAudioOther
NZXT 440 (White) Logitech g502 Bose Companion 2 Series III Satellite Speakers Xbox One Elite Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2533 of 3662
This is a general question a friend and I are discussing, if I overclock my CPU to say 4.4Ghz and I only need 4Ghz not to bottleneck my GPU, what performance gain in terms of fps will I get if I OC to say 4.8Ghz?
post #2534 of 3662
That depends on a game which You use. Normally You will see increase only in CPU Heavy games. When I run my 3570K on stock up to 3,8 GHz boost, I get minimum FPS of 35-40 in World of Tanks. After overclocking it to 4,5 GHz I get minimum of 46. The main question is if particular game is CPU or GPU heavy. There are games where You will always be "bottlenecked" no matter what You do, because they put so much on CPU. World of tanks is a nice example - Big World Engine utilizes only one core, so my 3570K OC'ed to 4,5 GHz gets 100% usage on first core and only 70-80 usage on GPU, which means that even Ivy Bridge can and will bottleneck if game has crappy engine.

Anyway - In every game there are places where Your CPU will be pushed to the limits and that's where all of this overclocking gets useful. Especially to maintain minimum FPS on decent level and to get rid of stuttering/fps drops issues.

If the question would be: "Is it worth it to overclock from 3,4 to 4,5 on Ivy" I'd say - YES, it is smile.gif

If the question would be: "Is it worth it to OC this Ivy from 4,5 to 4,8" I'd say - it depends. If You ever suffered from FPS drops issues due to CPU heavy games than yes, it's worth it.

But the question is what performance gain will You get - so my answer is it depends on a game, particular CPU and GPU You own.
post #2535 of 3662
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteZHD View Post

This is a general question a friend and I are discussing, if I overclock my CPU to say 4.4Ghz and I only need 4Ghz not to bottleneck my GPU, what performance gain in terms of fps will I get if I OC to say 4.8Ghz?
your chip will not go that high, period.....
it's a non-K version.
not sure you can get to 4.4GHz, I think 4.2GHz is your cap.
post #2536 of 3662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephic View Post

That depends on a game which You use. Normally You will see increase only in CPU Heavy games. When I run my 3570K on stock up to 3,8 GHz boost, I get minimum FPS of 35-40 in World of Tanks. After overclocking it to 4,5 GHz I get minimum of 46. The main question is if particular game is CPU or GPU heavy. There are games where You will always be "bottlenecked" no matter what You do, because they put so much on CPU. World of tanks is a nice example - Big World Engine utilizes only one core, so my 3570K OC'ed to 4,5 GHz gets 100% usage on first core and only 70-80 usage on GPU, which means that even Ivy Bridge can and will bottleneck if game has crappy engine.

Anyway - In every game there are places where Your CPU will be pushed to the limits and that's where all of this overclocking gets useful. Especially to maintain minimum FPS on decent level and to get rid of stuttering/fps drops issues.

If the question would be: "Is it worth it to overclock from 3,4 to 4,5 on Ivy" I'd say - YES, it is smile.gif

If the question would be: "Is it worth it to OC this Ivy from 4,5 to 4,8" I'd say - it depends. If You ever suffered from FPS drops issues due to CPU heavy games than yes, it's worth it.

But the question is what performance gain will You get - so my answer is it depends on a game, particular CPU and GPU You own.

I see, I thought it would depend on how the developer created their games and what component they rely on mostly... hopefully they push GPU's, my CPU can't push more than 4.2Ghz. Just wondering why if anyone knows AC3 is only using about 80% of my components, despite dropping below 40fps?
post #2537 of 3662
Quote:
Originally Posted by malmental View Post

your chip will not go that high, period.....
it's a non-K version.
not sure you can get to 4.4GHz, I think 4.2GHz is your cap.

I know, that question was just an example, I was interested since Haswell just came out... it really is such a minimal performance gain from what I've read, unless I'm missing something...
post #2538 of 3662
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteZHD View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by malmental View Post

your chip will not go that high, period.....
it's a non-K version.
not sure you can get to 4.4GHz, I think 4.2GHz is your cap.

I know, that question was just an example, I was interested since Haswell just came out... it really is such a minimal performance gain from what I've read, unless I'm missing something...
only upgrade for you is the 3770K.
Haswell will cause you to buy a new mobo as well as CPU and all that for 7% gains on average....
I'm not sure if I can go Haswell right now building new... I would of course look into it.
but still leaning towards a delidded 3770K as the best chip out there currently.
post #2539 of 3662
Thread Starter 
2500K is still great as well if you're low on cash. thumb.gif
post #2540 of 3662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephic View Post

That depends on a game which You use. Normally You will see increase only in CPU Heavy games. When I run my 3570K on stock up to 3,8 GHz boost, I get minimum FPS of 35-40 in World of Tanks. After overclocking it to 4,5 GHz I get minimum of 46. The main question is if particular game is CPU or GPU heavy. There are games where You will always be "bottlenecked" no matter what You do, because they put so much on CPU. World of tanks is a nice example - Big World Engine utilizes only one core, so my 3570K OC'ed to 4,5 GHz gets 100% usage on first core and only 70-80 usage on GPU, which means that even Ivy Bridge can and will bottleneck if game has crappy engine.

Anyway - In every game there are places where Your CPU will be pushed to the limits and that's where all of this overclocking gets useful. Especially to maintain minimum FPS on decent level and to get rid of stuttering/fps drops issues.

If the question would be: "Is it worth it to overclock from 3,4 to 4,5 on Ivy" I'd say - YES, it is smile.gif

If the question would be: "Is it worth it to OC this Ivy from 4,5 to 4,8" I'd say - it depends. If You ever suffered from FPS drops issues due to CPU heavy games than yes, it's worth it.

But the question is what performance gain will You get - so my answer is it depends on a game, particular CPU and GPU You own.
I agree the only games I have noticed a difference worth mentioning in running my CPU @ 4.2 over its stock 3.3 (just using the auto ASUS OC our boards have) was Skyrim(since been patched to push more to the GPU) and Guild Wars 2(but any MMO could benefit from an OC since they are all pretty CPU dependent). Summer just hit so I decided since the Auto OC uses more voltage than needed and I am stuck with a stock cooler at the moment to just hold of on any more OC's until it cools down and I can afford a water block.
Kung Fury X
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k MSI Z170A XPower Gaming Titanium  Radeon R9 Fury X  16GB (8x2GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
500GB Samsung 850 EVO 1TB WD Black Some external ASUS garbage Custom EK PETG with Bitspower Fittings 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win10 Pro 64 bit BenQ XL2730Z 2560 x 1440 @ 144hz Logitech G710+ Blue EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750 Watt 
CaseMouseAudioOther
NZXT 440 (White) Logitech g502 Bose Companion 2 Series III Satellite Speakers Xbox One Elite Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
Kung Fury X
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k MSI Z170A XPower Gaming Titanium  Radeon R9 Fury X  16GB (8x2GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
500GB Samsung 850 EVO 1TB WD Black Some external ASUS garbage Custom EK PETG with Bitspower Fittings 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win10 Pro 64 bit BenQ XL2730Z 2560 x 1440 @ 144hz Logitech G710+ Blue EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750 Watt 
CaseMouseAudioOther
NZXT 440 (White) Logitech g502 Bose Companion 2 Series III Satellite Speakers Xbox One Elite Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › [Official] NVIDIA GTX 660TI Owners club