Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › [Official] ASRock Z77E ITX Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] ASRock Z77E ITX Owners Club - Page 141

post #1401 of 2533
I'm running 2133 Ripjaws X. Love em, no problems running @ 2133 though I wish they were lower voltage and/or latency.
 
Compact Splash
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3220 Intel DQ77KB Integrated. What. Corsair 1x8GB Laptop Memory 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Plextor 128GB mSata SSD Ubuntu Delta PA-5M10 None. 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.7GHz ASRock Z77E MITX EVGA GTX 570 HD 2.5GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 830 128GB SSD XSPC EX120 + EX240 XSPC Raystorm Copper EK FC570 GTX SE (rev. 1.1) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Swiftech MCP35X pump 3x GT AP-15 fans Tecnofront nano res one million bitspower fittings 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Dell U2410 Silverstone ST45SF-G Scratch built 14.75L prototype 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.8GHz [DELIDDED] ASRock Z77E Samsung Low Voltage 2x4GB Crucial M4 128GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
WD 80GB 5400RPM Corsair H100i ubuntu 13.10 18" Dell Ultrasharp (4:3 Free Oldskool Edition) 
PowerCase
Silverstone ST45SF Compact Splash Prototype 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Compact Splash
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3220 Intel DQ77KB Integrated. What. Corsair 1x8GB Laptop Memory 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Plextor 128GB mSata SSD Ubuntu Delta PA-5M10 None. 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.7GHz ASRock Z77E MITX EVGA GTX 570 HD 2.5GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 830 128GB SSD XSPC EX120 + EX240 XSPC Raystorm Copper EK FC570 GTX SE (rev. 1.1) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Swiftech MCP35X pump 3x GT AP-15 fans Tecnofront nano res one million bitspower fittings 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Dell U2410 Silverstone ST45SF-G Scratch built 14.75L prototype 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.8GHz [DELIDDED] ASRock Z77E Samsung Low Voltage 2x4GB Crucial M4 128GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
WD 80GB 5400RPM Corsair H100i ubuntu 13.10 18" Dell Ultrasharp (4:3 Free Oldskool Edition) 
PowerCase
Silverstone ST45SF Compact Splash Prototype 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1402 of 2533
Not sure if right forum, but i'll try anyway, full specs are in my sig. I just put everything together so I'm still all stock settings. I have updated to latest Bios 1.70 (?). I hope I can be as clear and concise as possible, as my question may be a tad confusing.

When I open CPU-z and look at my idle clock, I idle at 1600mhz, which looks about right, and for the most part it sits at 1600mhz if i'm not running anything in the background. Here's the confusing part, when I choose High Performance, i immediately notice my clock jump around the second I even click High Performance coming from Balanced. To be even more specific, if I'm at 1600mhz using Balanced, the second I click High Performance, the clock jumps to any random clock multiplier (2000, 2400, 2600, 3000, etc), and then from there it fluctuates wildly, sometimes downclocks to 1600mhz but never really idles anywhere, it typically jumps around from 2000-3600mhz. I figured okay the settings are problem different considering one profile is more power conscious. Here are some pics:


Balanced, Stock (no OC) Speed, Idle


Balanced advanced settings


High Performance, Stock Speed, Idle (though the clock you see in CPU-z is not actually the constant idle speed, it's wildly fluctuating all the time using High Performance)


I figured okay, the settings are different for processor management, so I went in and changed it to match balanced.

Saved settings, observed CPU-z, and it DID NOT fix it. Speed still fluctuates wildly, doesn't idle at 1600mhz.

This may be a minor issue, but I'm wondering why even though I set every setting in both profiles to match, not just Processor settings, the outcome in CPU-Z still is different. Again I haven't touched anything in the BIOS. I'm trying to sort this all out before I begin overclocking. I haven't changed BIOS settings inbetween switching profiles, so I don't know why this anomoly is happening. I'm pretty sure Speed Step is enabled in BIOS, so the idling under Balanced and High Performance should not differ, as long as I've set both profiles to match minimum Processor settings.
post #1403 of 2533
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmau420 View Post

Not sure if right forum, but i'll try anyway, full specs are in my sig. I just put everything together so I'm still all stock settings. I have updated to latest Bios 1.70 (?). I hope I can be as clear and concise as possible, as my question may be a tad confusing.

When I open CPU-z and look at my idle clock, I idle at 1600mhz, which looks about right, and for the most part it sits at 1600mhz if i'm not running anything in the background. Here's the confusing part, when I choose High Performance, i immediately notice my clock jump around the second I even click High Performance coming from Balanced. To be even more specific, if I'm at 1600mhz using Balanced, the second I click High Performance, the clock jumps to any random clock multiplier (2000, 2400, 2600, 3000, etc), and then from there it fluctuates wildly, sometimes downclocks to 1600mhz but never really idles anywhere, it typically jumps around from 2000-3600mhz. I figured okay the settings are problem different considering one profile is more power conscious. Here are some pics:


Balanced, Stock (no OC) Speed, Idle


Balanced advanced settings


High Performance, Stock Speed, Idle (though the clock you see in CPU-z is not actually the constant idle speed, it's wildly fluctuating all the time using High Performance)


I figured okay, the settings are different for processor management, so I went in and changed it to match balanced.

Saved settings, observed CPU-z, and it DID NOT fix it. Speed still fluctuates wildly, doesn't idle at 1600mhz.

This may be a minor issue, but I'm wondering why even though I set every setting in both profiles to match, not just Processor settings, the outcome in CPU-Z still is different. Again I haven't touched anything in the BIOS. I'm trying to sort this all out before I begin overclocking. I haven't changed BIOS settings inbetween switching profiles, so I don't know why this anomoly is happening. I'm pretty sure Speed Step is enabled in BIOS, so the idling under Balanced and High Performance should not differ, as long as I've set both profiles to match minimum Processor settings.

dude its not even power settings its called intel speedstep and turbo. lachen.gif

it throttles down to 1600mhz to save you power.
[ WOMD ] Rainuke
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k Asrock Z77E-ITX R9 290X Crucial Ballistix Sport 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Seagate 7200 RPM Samsung 830 128GB XSPC AX240 kit - With custom Components windows 8 professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Asus VG248QE Coolermaster TK Coolermaster Hybrid Define R4 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Mamba Rainbow dash custom Schitt Modi Bose Companion 3 
Audio
Objective 2 
  hide details  
Reply
[ WOMD ] Rainuke
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k Asrock Z77E-ITX R9 290X Crucial Ballistix Sport 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Seagate 7200 RPM Samsung 830 128GB XSPC AX240 kit - With custom Components windows 8 professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Asus VG248QE Coolermaster TK Coolermaster Hybrid Define R4 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Mamba Rainbow dash custom Schitt Modi Bose Companion 3 
Audio
Objective 2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1404 of 2533
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyismaster View Post

dude its not even power settings its called intel speedstep and turbo. lachen.gif

it throttles down to 1600mhz to save you power.

It's Speedstep, not Turbo, but thanks for being an ass. Turbo is when it boosts from 3.3 to 3.6 or whatever the clocks are for my CPU. SpeedStep allows idling at inbetween multipliers. Anyway if you actually read what I wrote (given it was a lot), you'd realize that's not what I was trying to figure out. As I said before, Intel Speed Step is a constant for my problem, it's left on, isn't touched in both scenarios I'm under. Now since you know it's not touched at all, why in Windows, when i change profiles, is my idling affected? If I use Balanced, the speedstep feature looks normal, it idles at 1600mhz and remains constantly idle there. The very second I switch profiles to High Performance my idle fluctuates wildly between 2000mhz-3600mhz. I even changed all these settings in both profiles to match, Minimum Processor State @ 5% (picture in my previous post).


Each and every setting in both profiles I set to be the same, so I should be idling at the same speed, but I'm not.


If Speedstep is on in both scenarios, why wouldn't they both idle at the same 1600mhz? Remember using balanced it flat out idles at 1600mhz constantly. Using High Performance I get wild fluctuation constantly, and rarely dips to 1600mhz (or 16x multi) that the Balanced profile sits at.
Edited by deadmau420 - 1/14/13 at 3:13pm
post #1405 of 2533
performance vs power saving

lol.

ferarri vs smart car.

more speed vs better gas mileage.


don't mean to keep being the ass, but its kinda bluntly obvious.
[ WOMD ] Rainuke
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k Asrock Z77E-ITX R9 290X Crucial Ballistix Sport 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Seagate 7200 RPM Samsung 830 128GB XSPC AX240 kit - With custom Components windows 8 professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Asus VG248QE Coolermaster TK Coolermaster Hybrid Define R4 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Mamba Rainbow dash custom Schitt Modi Bose Companion 3 
Audio
Objective 2 
  hide details  
Reply
[ WOMD ] Rainuke
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k Asrock Z77E-ITX R9 290X Crucial Ballistix Sport 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Seagate 7200 RPM Samsung 830 128GB XSPC AX240 kit - With custom Components windows 8 professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Asus VG248QE Coolermaster TK Coolermaster Hybrid Define R4 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Mamba Rainbow dash custom Schitt Modi Bose Companion 3 
Audio
Objective 2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1406 of 2533
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyismaster View Post

performance vs power saving

lol.

ferarri vs smart car.

more speed vs better gas mileage.


don't mean to keep being the ass, but its kinda bluntly obvious.

I stopped reading his paragraphs too
Feed The Dada
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-2600k Asrock Z77e-itx MSI 7970 Samsung 30nm 8GB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 840 250GB SSD H100 w/ 2x SP120 Antec Kuhler 920 w/ 1x SP120 Linux Ubuntu 10.10 
PowerCaseAudioAudio
Seasonic X650 Bitfenix Prodigy E07K HFI-580 
  hide details  
Reply
Feed The Dada
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-2600k Asrock Z77e-itx MSI 7970 Samsung 30nm 8GB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 840 250GB SSD H100 w/ 2x SP120 Antec Kuhler 920 w/ 1x SP120 Linux Ubuntu 10.10 
PowerCaseAudioAudio
Seasonic X650 Bitfenix Prodigy E07K HFI-580 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1407 of 2533
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmau420 View Post

It's Speedstep, not Turbo, but thanks for being an ass. Turbo is when it boosts from 3.3 to 3.6 or whatever the clocks are for my CPU. SpeedStep allows idling at inbetween multipliers. Anyway if you actually read what I wrote (given it was a lot), you'd realize that's not what I was trying to figure out. As I said before, Intel Speed Step is a constant for my problem, it's left on, isn't touched in both scenarios I'm under. Now since you know it's not touched at all, why in Windows, when i change profiles, is my idling affected? If I use Balanced, the speedstep feature looks normal, it idles at 1600mhz and remains constantly idle there. The very second I switch profiles to High Performance my idle fluctuates wildly between 2000mhz-3600mhz. I even changed all these settings in both profiles to match, Minimum Processor State @ 5% (picture in my previous post).


Each and every setting in both profiles I set to be the same, so I should be idling at the same speed, but I'm not.


If Speedstep is on in both scenarios, why wouldn't they both idle at the same 1600mhz? Remember using balanced it flat out idles at 1600mhz constantly. Using High Performance I get wild fluctuation constantly, and rarely dips to 1600mhz (or 16x multi) that the Balanced profile sits at.

My suggestion friend is to put the minimum back to 100% and use ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility to look at clock speeds, not CPU-Z, let us know.
post #1408 of 2533
hmm is anyone using a non K CPU?
post #1409 of 2533
Quote:
Originally Posted by akromatic View Post

hmm is anyone using a non K CPU?
I use a 3470, I have it OC'ed to 4GHz (38*105)
post #1410 of 2533
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyismaster View Post

performance vs power saving

lol.

ferarri vs smart car.

more speed vs better gas mileage.


don't mean to keep being the ass, but its kinda bluntly obvious.

Alright then I will just refer thee as ass (considering what you said). Well Mr. ass, I don't have any trouble understanding the terms High Performance and Balanced. I'm not asking what they would mean if I just left the settings as is, I know what they do, but if both are set to minimum processor state 5%, why don't they idle the same. Does each profile have hidden settings I cannot change that actually make it a "High Performance" profile or "Balanced"? Or is it the user-changeable settings in each profile that make it what it's called? I'm trying my best to use proper english, but it is my 2nd language, but please continue to be a douche bag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuwSharpe View Post

My suggestion friend is to put the minimum back to 100% and use ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility to look at clock speeds, not CPU-Z, let us know.

Thanks, I'll give this a try, though it is rather strange cause it seems to be always CPU-Z being standard utility, and rarely do I see people suggest the included mobo software, but it's worth a shot.
Edited by deadmau420 - 1/15/13 at 11:01am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › [Official] ASRock Z77E ITX Owners Club