Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Servers › Uses for your home server
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Uses for your home server - Page 8

post #71 of 76
Are you running Linux or Windows?

If Linux then give this a read


A few quick things to do is strip it down to core packages and go full command line, disable things like FTP if you don't use them, install fail2ban, clamAV, and rkhunter, configure a firewall, and of course encrypt your data.
post #72 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppie View Post

Are you running Linux or Windows?

If Linux then give this a read


A few quick things to do is strip it down to core packages and go full command line, disable things like FTP if you don't use them, install fail2ban, clamAV, and rkhunter, configure a firewall, and of course encrypt your data.

Windows Server 2012
Also when I do I think SMB encryption in WS2012 it stops me from accessing share.
EDIT: Ah it seems you need an OS which supports SMB 3.0, and Windows 7 doesn't, is there anyway I can encrypt data to and from the my home server? or anything to improve overall security, I only have SMB shares on my LAN I believe which is at home, but I do have Subsonic (SuperSonic) with HTTPS encryption running.
My SubSonic and SMB both have different accounts.
Edited by TopicClocker - 9/2/13 at 2:04am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790K Asus Maximus VII Gene Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 Crucial Technology 9 
RAMHard DriveHard DrivePower
Corsair 9 Seagate Barracuda 2TB Seagate Barracuda 500GB Corsair CX 600W 
Case
Zalman Z9 Plus 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790K Asus Maximus VII Gene Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 Crucial Technology 9 
RAMHard DriveHard DrivePower
Corsair 9 Seagate Barracuda 2TB Seagate Barracuda 500GB Corsair CX 600W 
Case
Zalman Z9 Plus 
  hide details  
Reply
post #73 of 76
Also been looking into things such as Tonido and Owncloud, I'm not a fan of FTP as I view it as a major security risk, I host a (now) private minecraft server for close friends and run Plex and Subsonic for my personal usage and also use my home server as a file server for LAN which I can only access on the LAN with SMB sharing, can anyone talk me into OwnCloud and or Tonido security wise? ATM I like the idea of it but I don't want to take the risk so I'm pretty much backing away from it.

I can view something like Tonido being good for my usage as I can grab my android APKs and music files from my home server from school etc, and I would only want one specific folder to be accessed, and only for my personal usage.

I know nothing is 100% safe and secure but is a setup like that safe and secure enough?
My home server has most ports locked off, I manually open them for the home server itself through my router and enable those applications and ports from within the firewall itself.

Current setup:
Plex
SubSonic (MadSonic fork)
Minecraft Bukkit Server for close friends
DynamicDNS (NO-IP ATM) - Made a new account and host name the other day, only my close friends who play on my Minecraft server are aware of which is like 4 people.

Was considering a VPN, not sure that will be a good idea for a home server, I do not wish to host any websites whatsoever, however Plex, SubSonic and McMyAdmin I use for my Bukkit Server sort of have remote web-based setups.

I'm pretty new to the home server scene, please excuse my noobness lol

Any help would be appreciated.
Edited by TopicClocker - 9/3/13 at 2:35pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790K Asus Maximus VII Gene Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 Crucial Technology 9 
RAMHard DriveHard DrivePower
Corsair 9 Seagate Barracuda 2TB Seagate Barracuda 500GB Corsair CX 600W 
Case
Zalman Z9 Plus 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790K Asus Maximus VII Gene Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 Crucial Technology 9 
RAMHard DriveHard DrivePower
Corsair 9 Seagate Barracuda 2TB Seagate Barracuda 500GB Corsair CX 600W 
Case
Zalman Z9 Plus 
  hide details  
Reply
post #74 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopicClocker View Post

Also been looking into things such as Tonido and Owncloud, I'm not a fan of FTP as I view it as a major security risk, I host a (now) private minecraft server for close friends and run Plex and Subsonic for my personal usage and also use my home server as a file server for LAN which I can only access on the LAN with SMB sharing, can anyone talk me into OwnCloud and or Tonido security wise? ATM I like the idea of it but I don't want to take the risk so I'm pretty much backing away from it.

I can view something like Tonido being good for my usage as I can grab my android APKs and music files from my home server from school etc, and I would only want one specific folder to be accessed, and only for my personal usage.

I know nothing is 100% safe and secure but is a setup like that safe and secure enough?
My home server has most ports locked off, I manually open them for the home server itself through my router and enable those applications and ports from within the firewall itself.

Current setup:
Plex
SubSonic (MadSonic fork)
Minecraft Bukkit Server for close friends
DynamicDNS (NO-IP ATM) - Made a new account and host name the other day, only my close friends who play on my Minecraft server are aware of which is like 4 people.

Was considering a VPN, not sure that will be a good idea for a home server, I do not wish to host any websites whatsoever, however Plex, SubSonic and McMyAdmin I use for my Bukkit Server sort of have remote web-based setups.

I'm pretty new to the home server scene, please excuse my noobness lol

Any help would be appreciated.

OwnCloud doesn't just point to an existing share, like you are thinking. It will create a new encrypted directory that you can only access from the interface of OwnCloud, and that's it. If you have a folder with data you want to share, and you are concerned about security, use SFTP, or VPN...or a combination. OpenVPN is free, and you can easily get it set up on a box, and install the client on any remote device you want to access your network from.
post #75 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonbob View Post

OwnCloud doesn't just point to an existing share, like you are thinking. It will create a new encrypted directory that you can only access from the interface of OwnCloud, and that's it. If you have a folder with data you want to share, and you are concerned about security, use SFTP, or VPN...or a combination. OpenVPN is free, and you can easily get it set up on a box, and install the client on any remote device you want to access your network from.

Oh that sounds cool thanks, I'll look into it what about Tonido?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790K Asus Maximus VII Gene Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 Crucial Technology 9 
RAMHard DriveHard DrivePower
Corsair 9 Seagate Barracuda 2TB Seagate Barracuda 500GB Corsair CX 600W 
Case
Zalman Z9 Plus 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790K Asus Maximus VII Gene Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 Crucial Technology 9 
RAMHard DriveHard DrivePower
Corsair 9 Seagate Barracuda 2TB Seagate Barracuda 500GB Corsair CX 600W 
Case
Zalman Z9 Plus 
  hide details  
Reply
post #76 of 76
Oh also just wondering if a VPN will mess with windows RDP, my home server's headless so I RDP it and I don't want to cause any problems like I've done in the future, accidentally shutting off the only NIC i have (Silly i know lol) and having to reanable it by reseting it by putting in a gpu etc.... really a pain.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790K Asus Maximus VII Gene Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 Crucial Technology 9 
RAMHard DriveHard DrivePower
Corsair 9 Seagate Barracuda 2TB Seagate Barracuda 500GB Corsair CX 600W 
Case
Zalman Z9 Plus 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790K Asus Maximus VII Gene Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 Crucial Technology 9 
RAMHard DriveHard DrivePower
Corsair 9 Seagate Barracuda 2TB Seagate Barracuda 500GB Corsair CX 600W 
Case
Zalman Z9 Plus 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Servers
Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Servers › Uses for your home server