Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › Need help buying my first ever SSD (I read the stickies)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need help buying my first ever SSD (I read the stickies) - Page 3

post #21 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

Yep, opinions change don't they? biggrin.gif
The 830 had just been released, I had no idea on anything about it, I never recommend brand new untested (non-guinea pigged) drives. thumb.gif

Ah, perfectly understandable, just like how my doctor prefers prescribing tried and true medication over recently released medication which can often have unforeseen problems.

Cool, well, I think I'll go with the 830, if I can find one in Canada frown.gif the NCIX one is out of stock, and I can't find a single online store that has one for Canada.
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelius View Post


Ah, perfectly understandable, just like how my doctor prefers prescribing tried and true medication over recently released medication which can often have unforeseen problems.

Cool, well, I think I'll go with the 830, if I can find one in Canada frown.gif the NCIX one is out of stock, and I can't find a single online store that has one for Canada.
Check what shipping is to you from here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/845681-REG/Samsung_MZ_7PC256B_WW_256GB_SSD_830_SERIES_INTERNAL.html

Some people in Canada have ordered from there before and had cheap shipping (I think?). I order camera gear from there all the time myself.

What about here too: http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/244847/Samsung_Memory___Storage/MZ_7PC256B_WW/
Le Main Rig
(17 items)
 
Terrorbyte V2
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700K Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1 Gigabyte GTX 960 WindForce 2X OC G.SKILL Ripjaws V  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
1050GB Crucial MX300 1050GB Crucial MX300 960GB OCZ RD400 1TB Micron M600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1TB WD Blue Noctua NH-U12S Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit BenQ GW2765HT 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ GW2765HT FUNC KB-460 Corsair RM650 Fractal Design R5 
Mouse
Logitec G500 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
Intel Xeon L5520 Intel Xeon L5520 SuperMicro X8DTi-F 48GB Nanya 1066MHz ECC RDIMM 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
128GB Samsung 830 480GB SanDisk Extreme II 2TB WD Red 2TB Samung Spinpoint F4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
2TB Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3  3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300 Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 
OSPowerCaseOther
Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter  Corsair 650TX  Norco RPC 4224 LSI 9261-8i 
Other
Intel RES2CV240 
  hide details  
Reply
Le Main Rig
(17 items)
 
Terrorbyte V2
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700K Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1 Gigabyte GTX 960 WindForce 2X OC G.SKILL Ripjaws V  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
1050GB Crucial MX300 1050GB Crucial MX300 960GB OCZ RD400 1TB Micron M600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1TB WD Blue Noctua NH-U12S Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit BenQ GW2765HT 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ GW2765HT FUNC KB-460 Corsair RM650 Fractal Design R5 
Mouse
Logitec G500 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
Intel Xeon L5520 Intel Xeon L5520 SuperMicro X8DTi-F 48GB Nanya 1066MHz ECC RDIMM 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
128GB Samsung 830 480GB SanDisk Extreme II 2TB WD Red 2TB Samung Spinpoint F4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
2TB Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3  3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300 Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 
OSPowerCaseOther
Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter  Corsair 650TX  Norco RPC 4224 LSI 9261-8i 
Other
Intel RES2CV240 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

Check what shipping is to you from here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/845681-REG/Samsung_MZ_7PC256B_WW_256GB_SSD_830_SERIES_INTERNAL.html
Some people in Canada have ordered from there before and had cheap shipping (I think?). I order camera gear from there all the time myself.
What about here too: http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/244847/Samsung_Memory___Storage/MZ_7PC256B_WW/

I bought it from the first link. It came to $252 after taxes and shipping (13% tax + $10 shipping), which was slightly lower than the price of the second link. Newegg.ca charges taxes, even if they did carry the 830, so ~$250 is about as low as I'm ever going to get the 830.

Thanks for all your help Sean, and others. Now, I'll need a 2.5" to 3.5" adaptor, right, to fit it into my desktop? This is by far the highest rated and most rated one on newegg.ca. Does it look good?
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelius View Post

I bought it from the first link. It came to $252 after taxes and shipping (13% tax + $10 shipping), which was slightly lower than the price of the second link. Newegg.ca charges taxes, even if they did carry the 830, so ~$250 is about as low as I'm ever going to get the 830.

Thanks for all your help Sean, and others. Now, I'll need a 2.5" to 3.5" adaptor, right, to fit it into my desktop? This is by far the highest rated and most rated one on newegg.ca. Does it look good?
Cool. smile.gif

Actually you don't need one. You can stick that drive wherever you like in your case. I have mine just chillin' in the back of my PCs behind the motherboard try or 5.25" bays mixed in with all the cables. You can also use double sided tape to stick it on something. biggrin.gif
Le Main Rig
(17 items)
 
Terrorbyte V2
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700K Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1 Gigabyte GTX 960 WindForce 2X OC G.SKILL Ripjaws V  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
1050GB Crucial MX300 1050GB Crucial MX300 960GB OCZ RD400 1TB Micron M600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1TB WD Blue Noctua NH-U12S Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit BenQ GW2765HT 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ GW2765HT FUNC KB-460 Corsair RM650 Fractal Design R5 
Mouse
Logitec G500 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
Intel Xeon L5520 Intel Xeon L5520 SuperMicro X8DTi-F 48GB Nanya 1066MHz ECC RDIMM 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
128GB Samsung 830 480GB SanDisk Extreme II 2TB WD Red 2TB Samung Spinpoint F4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
2TB Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3  3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300 Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 
OSPowerCaseOther
Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter  Corsair 650TX  Norco RPC 4224 LSI 9261-8i 
Other
Intel RES2CV240 
  hide details  
Reply
Le Main Rig
(17 items)
 
Terrorbyte V2
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700K Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1 Gigabyte GTX 960 WindForce 2X OC G.SKILL Ripjaws V  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
1050GB Crucial MX300 1050GB Crucial MX300 960GB OCZ RD400 1TB Micron M600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1TB WD Blue Noctua NH-U12S Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit BenQ GW2765HT 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ GW2765HT FUNC KB-460 Corsair RM650 Fractal Design R5 
Mouse
Logitec G500 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
Intel Xeon L5520 Intel Xeon L5520 SuperMicro X8DTi-F 48GB Nanya 1066MHz ECC RDIMM 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
128GB Samsung 830 480GB SanDisk Extreme II 2TB WD Red 2TB Samung Spinpoint F4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
2TB Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3  3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300 Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 
OSPowerCaseOther
Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter  Corsair 650TX  Norco RPC 4224 LSI 9261-8i 
Other
Intel RES2CV240 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

Cool. smile.gif
Actually you don't need one. You can stick that drive wherever you like in your case. I have mine just chillin' in the back of my PCs behind the motherboard try or 5.25" bays mixed in with all the cables. You can also use double sided tape to stick it on something. biggrin.gif

Oh... so, why do 2.5" to 3.5" adapters exist? tongue.gif
post #26 of 27
Say someone has a 2.5" HDD and wants to put it in a desktop, or if someone just liked having all their drives in the PC bays, etc. smile.gif

SSDs have no moving parts like HDDs so they can be mounted any way you like almost anywhere.
Le Main Rig
(17 items)
 
Terrorbyte V2
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700K Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1 Gigabyte GTX 960 WindForce 2X OC G.SKILL Ripjaws V  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
1050GB Crucial MX300 1050GB Crucial MX300 960GB OCZ RD400 1TB Micron M600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1TB WD Blue Noctua NH-U12S Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit BenQ GW2765HT 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ GW2765HT FUNC KB-460 Corsair RM650 Fractal Design R5 
Mouse
Logitec G500 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
Intel Xeon L5520 Intel Xeon L5520 SuperMicro X8DTi-F 48GB Nanya 1066MHz ECC RDIMM 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
128GB Samsung 830 480GB SanDisk Extreme II 2TB WD Red 2TB Samung Spinpoint F4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
2TB Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3  3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300 Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 
OSPowerCaseOther
Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter  Corsair 650TX  Norco RPC 4224 LSI 9261-8i 
Other
Intel RES2CV240 
  hide details  
Reply
Le Main Rig
(17 items)
 
Terrorbyte V2
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700K Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1 Gigabyte GTX 960 WindForce 2X OC G.SKILL Ripjaws V  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
1050GB Crucial MX300 1050GB Crucial MX300 960GB OCZ RD400 1TB Micron M600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1TB WD Blue Noctua NH-U12S Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit BenQ GW2765HT 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ GW2765HT FUNC KB-460 Corsair RM650 Fractal Design R5 
Mouse
Logitec G500 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
Intel Xeon L5520 Intel Xeon L5520 SuperMicro X8DTi-F 48GB Nanya 1066MHz ECC RDIMM 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
128GB Samsung 830 480GB SanDisk Extreme II 2TB WD Red 2TB Samung Spinpoint F4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
2TB Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3  3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300 Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 
OSPowerCaseOther
Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter  Corsair 650TX  Norco RPC 4224 LSI 9261-8i 
Other
Intel RES2CV240 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

Say someone has a 2.5" HDD and wants to put it in a desktop, or if someone just liked having all their drives in the PC bays, etc. smile.gif
SSDs have no moving parts like HDDs so they can be mounted any way you like almost anywhere.
plus it is so light, no need to secure it with screws.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: SSD
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › Need help buying my first ever SSD (I read the stickies)