Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › 7950 Vapor X Voltage Locked?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

7950 Vapor X Voltage Locked? - Page 56

post #551 of 1056
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-BuZz View Post

It actually does 1200 on stock voltage whatever that is. I was just pushing the volts to see if it was stable.

Try something like 1100mhz/1200mv core

If that still fails;

1000MHz/1100mv core.

Try to see if its a power limit issue. If it is, it might be reducing your core clock [resulting in less VDroop, so a spike in voltage] then it would go back to regular clocks and voltage would drop back down.

Just because the clocks are shown as not budging does not mean they are not. GPU usage may instead be the variable that represents throttling. For example, on the original bios for my Vapor-X, throttling was represented by reduction in core/memory clock. GPU usage remained at 100%. Now it shows static core/memory clock, but GPU usage may drop to 64%, for example.

Also, do any backplates fit this card? I would feel a lot safer putting some Fujipoly on the rear of the PCB to connect it to a backplate rather than jury rig a heatsink on it and risk shorting..
Edited by Derpinheimer - 1/30/13 at 9:51pm
post #552 of 1056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derpinheimer View Post

Try something like 1100mhz/1200mv core

If that still fails;

1000MHz/1100mv core.

Try to see if its a power limit issue. If it is, it might be reducing your core clock [resulting in less VDroop, so a spike in voltage] then it would go back to regular clocks and voltage would drop back down.

Just because the clocks are shown as not budging does not mean they are not. GPU usage may instead be the variable that represents throttling. For example, on the original bios for my Vapor-X, throttling was represented by reduction in core/memory clock. GPU usage remained at 100%. Now it shows static core/memory clock, but GPU usage may drop to 64%, for example.

Also, do any backplates fit this card? I would feel a lot safer putting some Fujipoly on the rear of the PCB to connect it to a backplate rather than jury rig a heatsink on it and risk shorting..

If it does 1200mhz@1.125mv why would it fail at 1100mhz/1200mv ? I'll just clarify, that this card can run all/any games at 1200mhz/1.125v all day including multiple 3D11 runs.

HOWEVER, after resuming from sleep if I don't re-set the overclock & power settings the core MHZ will jump up & down. Once I reset the overclock, it's good to go again.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
B55 790FXT-UD3 Xfire HD5850 8GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB Raid Win7 Dell 3007WFP 2560x1600 1KW 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
B55 790FXT-UD3 Xfire HD5850 8GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB Raid Win7 Dell 3007WFP 2560x1600 1KW 
  hide details  
Reply
post #553 of 1056
What's the highest safe voltage (VDDC) for the 7950 ? I set it to 1225 mv (but GPU-Z reports a max voltage of 1.20 V).
post #554 of 1056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordryder View Post

What's the highest safe voltage (VDDC) for the 7950 ? I set it to 1225 mv (but GPU-Z reports a max voltage of 1.20 V).

This is normal and the difference is called vdroop. The voltage will drop even lower with load.

7970 GHZ edition are running @ 1.25V stock and so you should be safe to go up to 1.3V.
This might not yield you the best OC though.

If I force constant voltage in MSI Afterburner for my Vapor-X, I can get 1250MHz stable @ 1.2V but artifacts with 1275MHz, and exactly the same with 1.25V and 1.27V
Seems as 1.2V is my practical limit.
Edited by glina - 1/31/13 at 8:38am
post #555 of 1056
double post
post #556 of 1056
just got my vapor x hd7950

I've run Furmark and heaven with the highest settings.
core temp doesn't exceed 68degrees on stock fan settings (max 55%), 1200core (pushed the slider straight there in AB), stock voltage (1125 in AB). also my memory is voltage 1.16 by default, not the 1.15 mentioned by alot of forumers here.
VDDC fluctuates b 1.04 to 1.17 in GPU-Z when running Furmark
max vrm temps are about 86.

is it normal for Furmark to fluctuate GPU usage betwewen 63 and 99%?

Also, I can adjust the slider in the core v section of the msi afterburner above 1125. Does that actually change the voltage?
Edited by athenaesword - 1/31/13 at 12:06pm
post #557 of 1056
@C-BuZz: Oh, well in that case.. not a really big deal, no?

@athenaesword: Yes its "normal", but it means that your card is being throttled.. which explains the better-than-normal temperatures.
post #558 of 1056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derpinheimer View Post

@C-BuZz: Oh, well in that case.. not a really big deal, no?

@athenaesword: Yes its "normal", but it means that your card is being throttled.. which explains the better-than-normal temperatures.

Thanks. How should I fix that throttling? This throttling only happens in furmark. Doesn't happen for heaven. I see people talking about temps on the stock voltage and that doesn't go above 70 for most people on 1.125
post #559 of 1056
Thats normal, Furmark is almost always the most stressful thing on a GPU. My in game max power draw for my 7950 is about 153w. Bitcoin miner ~143w.. furmark, 189w.

@100% Fan, VRM1 tops out at 102c, VRM2 at 89c. Core 66c.

Do you have the power limit set to +20%? If so, you've probably got an old bios and its got a lower power limit.
post #560 of 1056
Yeah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derpinheimer View Post

Thats normal, Furmark is almost always the most stressful thing on a GPU. My in game max power draw for my 7950 is about 153w. Bitcoin miner ~143w.. furmark, 189w.

@100% Fan, VRM1 tops out at 102c, VRM2 at 89c. Core 66c.

Do you have the power limit set to +20%? If so, you've probably got an old bios and its got a lower power limit.

1) Yeah I've pushed the slider to +20 in Msi afterburner. Isn't that still an option for the latest bios?

2) When you say normal, should I continue benching at that levels, or is the goal to get steady gpu usage even in furmark. If the latter, where should I start? Lowering clock speeds or increasing voltage?

3) does the Msi AB core voltage slider actually work for adjusting voltage higher?

4)Also, my memory voltage is 1.16 default while people have reported 1.15. Is that indicative of an older outdated bios or a newer one. There's so many versions out there it's confusing. Shouldn't be there a standard latest bios for a particular card model...

Thanks v much for your help by the way
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › 7950 Vapor X Voltage Locked?