Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Building my Dream Computer, need your vote on these 4 cards!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Building my Dream Computer, need your vote on these 4 cards! - Page 20

Poll Results: Please Read Part of the Thread Before Voting!

 
  • 34% (89)
    EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 680 2GB
  • 22% (57)
    MSI Lightning Radeon HD 7970 3GB
  • 6% (16)
    GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 680 2GB
  • 36% (94)
    SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB
256 Total Votes  
post #191 of 356
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTHMfreak View Post

9898899898
From what I have read the 7970 has some massive headroom for OC'ing which seems to be the way to put it ahead of nvidia. Even the 670 gives the 7970 a run for its money. The SC version of the 680 comes with a decent factory OC on it. IMO if you aren't going to OC very far than the 7970 just isn't worth it

What about the future proofing with the 7970's vram?
Salvation
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K MSI Z77 MPOWER  Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB SAMSUNG 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 SSD Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM Hyper 212 EVO Windows 7 
MonitorMonitorPowerCase
Asus VG236H 120hz Asus VH236h 60hz Rosewill Capstone 750W 80 PLUS Gold Cooler Master HAF 932 
MouseMouse Pad
RAZER DeathAdder Precision Optical Gaming Mouse Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
Reply
Salvation
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K MSI Z77 MPOWER  Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB SAMSUNG 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 SSD Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM Hyper 212 EVO Windows 7 
MonitorMonitorPowerCase
Asus VG236H 120hz Asus VH236h 60hz Rosewill Capstone 750W 80 PLUS Gold Cooler Master HAF 932 
MouseMouse Pad
RAZER DeathAdder Precision Optical Gaming Mouse Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
Reply
post #192 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion. View Post

What about the future proofing with the 7970's vram?

Here is a quote from a review of the 680 4gb : "The 4GB -- Realistically there was not one game that we tested that could benefit from the two extra GB's of graphics memory. Even at 2560x1600 (which is a massive 4 Mpixels resolution) there was just no measurable difference.
Now the setup could benefit from triple monitor setups at 5760x1080 (which is a 6 Mpixels resolution), but even there I doubt if 4 GB is really something you'd need to spend money on. It might make a difference at 16xAA and the most stringent games, or if you game in 3D Stereo and triple monitor gaming -- I mean sure -- at any point graphics memory can and will run out. There's one exception to the rule, and that's Skyrim all beefed, tweaked and modded upwards. But the universal question remains, is it worth it investing in that extra memor? This card is 90 EUR more expensive. Well that answer depends on pricing versus your demands and requriements really, the extra memory certainly won't hurt that's for sure, but sure -- the benefits remains small."
SKYnet
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel I7 4930K @ 4.6ghz ASUS Rampage IV Extreme EVGA GTX 970 EVGA GTX 970 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G. Skill Ripjaws X 4x4gb 1.5tb WD Caviar Green SATA Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD HP USB DVD 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Antec Kuhler 650 ThermalRight True Spirit 140 Power Windows 10 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung 240 HD TOC 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razor Lycosa PC Power and Cooling Silencer 910 NZXT Switch 810 Matte Black It clicks.............. 
Mouse Pad
IKEA $1 pad 
  hide details  
Reply
SKYnet
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel I7 4930K @ 4.6ghz ASUS Rampage IV Extreme EVGA GTX 970 EVGA GTX 970 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G. Skill Ripjaws X 4x4gb 1.5tb WD Caviar Green SATA Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD HP USB DVD 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Antec Kuhler 650 ThermalRight True Spirit 140 Power Windows 10 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung 240 HD TOC 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razor Lycosa PC Power and Cooling Silencer 910 NZXT Switch 810 Matte Black It clicks.............. 
Mouse Pad
IKEA $1 pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #193 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTHMfreak View Post

Here is a quote from a review of the 680 4gb : "The 4GB -- Realistically there was not one game that we tested that could benefit from the two extra GB's of graphics memory. Even at 2560x1600 (which is a massive 4 Mpixels resolution) there was just no measurable difference.
Now the setup could benefit from triple monitor setups at 5760x1080 (which is a 6 Mpixels resolution), but even there I doubt if 4 GB is really something you'd need to spend money on. It might make a difference at 16xAA and the most stringent games, or if you game in 3D Stereo and triple monitor gaming -- I mean sure -- at any point graphics memory can and will run out. There's one exception to the rule, and that's Skyrim all beefed, tweaked and modded upwards. But the universal question remains, is it worth it investing in that extra memor? This card is 90 EUR more expensive. Well that answer depends on pricing versus your demands and requriements really, the extra memory certainly won't hurt that's for sure, but sure -- the benefits remains small."

He asked about future proofing not about what's out now.

Which we don't have the answer to. It's likely though if games like 1313 and Watch Dogs are on your list 3gb of VRAM might not be a bad investment.

And neither AMD or Nvidia support 16xMSAA anymore.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k (EK Supremacy Evo) *4.7 @ 1.312 Asus Maximus VIII gene GTX 1080 FE (EK nickel/plexi)* 2075/5401 16gb Corsair 3200  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950pro M.2 256gb Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Steam Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Other Apps EK Res 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK pump top XSPC EX 360 XSPC EX 240 10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 3 TKL  EVGA 650 Fractal Arc Mini 2 G303 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k (EK Supremacy Evo) *4.7 @ 1.312 Asus Maximus VIII gene GTX 1080 FE (EK nickel/plexi)* 2075/5401 16gb Corsair 3200  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950pro M.2 256gb Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Steam Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Other Apps EK Res 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK pump top XSPC EX 360 XSPC EX 240 10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 3 TKL  EVGA 650 Fractal Arc Mini 2 G303 
  hide details  
Reply
post #194 of 356
Thread Starter 
If the 2gb did get bottle necked down the road in say 2 years. Would running the new game on ultra and turning off AA lower the vram needed. Or does AA not have any pull on vram?

I'm not sure I asked that question properly, but what i'm trying to get at is. If the card gets bottle necked would turning 1 thing off fix the issue. Figuratively speaking of course as we cant see in the future.
Salvation
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K MSI Z77 MPOWER  Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB SAMSUNG 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 SSD Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM Hyper 212 EVO Windows 7 
MonitorMonitorPowerCase
Asus VG236H 120hz Asus VH236h 60hz Rosewill Capstone 750W 80 PLUS Gold Cooler Master HAF 932 
MouseMouse Pad
RAZER DeathAdder Precision Optical Gaming Mouse Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
Reply
Salvation
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K MSI Z77 MPOWER  Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB SAMSUNG 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 SSD Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM Hyper 212 EVO Windows 7 
MonitorMonitorPowerCase
Asus VG236H 120hz Asus VH236h 60hz Rosewill Capstone 750W 80 PLUS Gold Cooler Master HAF 932 
MouseMouse Pad
RAZER DeathAdder Precision Optical Gaming Mouse Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
Reply
post #195 of 356
I don't see how all of a sudden you'd get bottlenecked, either you will or won't be from the start. Are you going to be using more than one display? If so you'll want as much ram as you can get, if not 2 gb will be fine. Even heavily modded games of Skyrim are still fine on 2gb. I don't see how this thread is still going after 20 pages. If you are going for multiple monitors go the AMD route, they definitely outshine Nvidia in that department. For a single monitor with a light OC go for the factory OC'ed 680. Even my 1.5gb 480s haven't given me any in game problems due to how much vram I have.
SKYnet
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel I7 4930K @ 4.6ghz ASUS Rampage IV Extreme EVGA GTX 970 EVGA GTX 970 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G. Skill Ripjaws X 4x4gb 1.5tb WD Caviar Green SATA Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD HP USB DVD 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Antec Kuhler 650 ThermalRight True Spirit 140 Power Windows 10 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung 240 HD TOC 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razor Lycosa PC Power and Cooling Silencer 910 NZXT Switch 810 Matte Black It clicks.............. 
Mouse Pad
IKEA $1 pad 
  hide details  
Reply
SKYnet
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel I7 4930K @ 4.6ghz ASUS Rampage IV Extreme EVGA GTX 970 EVGA GTX 970 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G. Skill Ripjaws X 4x4gb 1.5tb WD Caviar Green SATA Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD HP USB DVD 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Antec Kuhler 650 ThermalRight True Spirit 140 Power Windows 10 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung 240 HD TOC 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razor Lycosa PC Power and Cooling Silencer 910 NZXT Switch 810 Matte Black It clicks.............. 
Mouse Pad
IKEA $1 pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #196 of 356
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTHMfreak View Post

I don't see how all of a sudden you'd get bottlenecked, either you will or won't be from the start. Are you going to be using more than one display? If so you'll want as much ram as you can get, if not 2 gb will be fine. Even heavily modded games of Skyrim are still fine on 2gb. I don't see how this thread is still going after 20 pages. If you are going for multiple monitors go the AMD route, they definitely outshine Nvidia in that department. For a single monitor with a light OC go for the factory OC'ed 680. Even my 1.5gb 480s haven't given me any in game problems due to how much vram I have.

I see where your coming from for the most part. I was just asking about what would happen if you were to get bottle necked and how you would get around it because, The only reason at this point i would take the 7970 over the 680 is because of the ram bus/bandwidth. IMO the 680 is the more feature loaded card with the needed power for 1080. If you factor in the fact that i will be buying borderlands in the next 2 weeks into the price of the 680. It comes out to be around 430$ which is cheaper then the vapor X. But it still stands that i need a 4 year computer. I might be able to sell the card and make up the difference for the next gen but i'm not sure. If i happen to not be able to i would like to know that i didn't make the wrong choice right now.

I don't have anything against the 7970. It seems to clearly be geared toward higher res multi monitor set ups which is not me. It also seems to almost match the power of the 680 but uses more power and puts off more sound. Those are the main reasons i would prefer the 680 as i feel the 7970 isnt geared towards me.

I also like to add that i believe this topic has went on as long as it has because people want to get their views out about a card that people might over look. Also believe that there is a decent amount of people like myself faced with the same question and are trying to get some information about it. It also is largely due to the fact that i have no clue what i'm doing and people want to help me make a informed decision and that's what i love about overlocked.net.
Edited by Hyperion. - 9/14/12 at 4:21pm
Salvation
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K MSI Z77 MPOWER  Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB SAMSUNG 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 SSD Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM Hyper 212 EVO Windows 7 
MonitorMonitorPowerCase
Asus VG236H 120hz Asus VH236h 60hz Rosewill Capstone 750W 80 PLUS Gold Cooler Master HAF 932 
MouseMouse Pad
RAZER DeathAdder Precision Optical Gaming Mouse Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
Reply
Salvation
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K MSI Z77 MPOWER  Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB SAMSUNG 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 SSD Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM Hyper 212 EVO Windows 7 
MonitorMonitorPowerCase
Asus VG236H 120hz Asus VH236h 60hz Rosewill Capstone 750W 80 PLUS Gold Cooler Master HAF 932 
MouseMouse Pad
RAZER DeathAdder Precision Optical Gaming Mouse Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
Reply
post #197 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion. View Post

I see where your coming from for the most part. I was just asking about what would happen if you were to get bottle necked and how you would get around it because, The only reason at this point i would take the 7970 over the 680 is because of the ram bus/bandwidth. IMO the 680 is the more feature loaded card with the needed power for 1080. If you factor in the fact that i will be buying borderlands in the next 2 weeks into the price of the 680. It comes out to be around 430$ which is cheaper then the vapor X. But it still stands that i need a 4 year computer. I might be able to sell the card and make up the difference for the next gen but i'm not sure. If i happen to not be able to i would like to know that i didn't make the wrong choice right now.
I don't have anything against the 7970. It seems to clearly be geared toward higher res multi monitor set ups which is not me. It also seems to almost match the power of the 680 but uses more power and puts off more sound. Those are the main reasons i would prefer the 680 as i feel the 7970 isnt geared towards me.
I also like to add that i believe this topic has went on as long as it has because people want to get their views out about a card that people might over look. Also believe that there is a decent amount of people like myself faced with the same question and are trying to get some information about it. It also is largely due to the fact that i have no clue what i'm doing and people want to help me make a informed decision and that's what i love about overlocked.net.

Well A) you want Borderlands 2 and the 680 will come with it
B) you don't really care for multi-display setup
C) if you add another 680 down the road, as long as your mobo accepts it, you should be able to get a solid 2.5 - 3 yrs out of the cards.
D) I really doubt that the extra gb of ram is going to make it worthwhile for you at all. Pull the trigger on that 680
SKYnet
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel I7 4930K @ 4.6ghz ASUS Rampage IV Extreme EVGA GTX 970 EVGA GTX 970 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G. Skill Ripjaws X 4x4gb 1.5tb WD Caviar Green SATA Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD HP USB DVD 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Antec Kuhler 650 ThermalRight True Spirit 140 Power Windows 10 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung 240 HD TOC 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razor Lycosa PC Power and Cooling Silencer 910 NZXT Switch 810 Matte Black It clicks.............. 
Mouse Pad
IKEA $1 pad 
  hide details  
Reply
SKYnet
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel I7 4930K @ 4.6ghz ASUS Rampage IV Extreme EVGA GTX 970 EVGA GTX 970 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G. Skill Ripjaws X 4x4gb 1.5tb WD Caviar Green SATA Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD HP USB DVD 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Antec Kuhler 650 ThermalRight True Spirit 140 Power Windows 10 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung 240 HD TOC 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razor Lycosa PC Power and Cooling Silencer 910 NZXT Switch 810 Matte Black It clicks.............. 
Mouse Pad
IKEA $1 pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #198 of 356
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTHMfreak View Post

Well A) you want Borderlands 2 and the 680 will come with it
B) you don't really care for multi-display setup
C) if you add another 680 down the road, as long as your mobo accepts it, you should be able to get a solid 2.5 - 3 yrs out of the cards.
D) I really doubt that the extra gb of ram is going to make it worthwhile for you at all. Pull the trigger on that 680

just have a few more questions if you don't mind.

1. will that cooler on the evga be good enough
2. I know evga has a step up program. Does that only work from say a 670 to 680 or can you step up from a 680 2gb to a 680 4gb.
Salvation
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K MSI Z77 MPOWER  Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB SAMSUNG 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 SSD Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM Hyper 212 EVO Windows 7 
MonitorMonitorPowerCase
Asus VG236H 120hz Asus VH236h 60hz Rosewill Capstone 750W 80 PLUS Gold Cooler Master HAF 932 
MouseMouse Pad
RAZER DeathAdder Precision Optical Gaming Mouse Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
Reply
Salvation
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K MSI Z77 MPOWER  Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB SAMSUNG 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 SSD Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM Hyper 212 EVO Windows 7 
MonitorMonitorPowerCase
Asus VG236H 120hz Asus VH236h 60hz Rosewill Capstone 750W 80 PLUS Gold Cooler Master HAF 932 
MouseMouse Pad
RAZER DeathAdder Precision Optical Gaming Mouse Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
Reply
post #199 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion. View Post

just have a few more questions if you don't mind.
1. will that cooler on the evga be good enough
2. I know evga has a step up program. Does that only work from say a 670 to 680 or can you step up from a 680 2gb to a 680 4gb.

1. If you really worry about heat and you have a little technical knowhow you can always do the antec kuhler 620 mod for the GPU. But the cooler already on it should suffice since it draws less power and produces less heat than the last gen.
2. The step up has to be for a different model not a variant. Example 670 to a 680, but not 680 2gb to 680 4 gb
SKYnet
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel I7 4930K @ 4.6ghz ASUS Rampage IV Extreme EVGA GTX 970 EVGA GTX 970 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G. Skill Ripjaws X 4x4gb 1.5tb WD Caviar Green SATA Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD HP USB DVD 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Antec Kuhler 650 ThermalRight True Spirit 140 Power Windows 10 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung 240 HD TOC 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razor Lycosa PC Power and Cooling Silencer 910 NZXT Switch 810 Matte Black It clicks.............. 
Mouse Pad
IKEA $1 pad 
  hide details  
Reply
SKYnet
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel I7 4930K @ 4.6ghz ASUS Rampage IV Extreme EVGA GTX 970 EVGA GTX 970 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G. Skill Ripjaws X 4x4gb 1.5tb WD Caviar Green SATA Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD HP USB DVD 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Antec Kuhler 650 ThermalRight True Spirit 140 Power Windows 10 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung 240 HD TOC 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razor Lycosa PC Power and Cooling Silencer 910 NZXT Switch 810 Matte Black It clicks.............. 
Mouse Pad
IKEA $1 pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #200 of 356
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTHMfreak View Post

1. If you really worry about heat and you have a little technical knowhow you can always do the antec kuhler 620 mod for the GPU. But the cooler already on it should suffice since it draws less power and produces less heat than the last gen.
2. The step up has to be for a different model not a variant. Example 670 to a 680, but not 680 2gb to 680 4 gb

Thats a shame the vram really has me worried after hearing everyone telling me about skyrim. I'm mostly concerned about far cry 3 right now i believe. Other then that i want to try some mmo's that i cant currently run but i'm pretty sure no mmo uses more then 1gb of vram or is that wrong aswell?
Salvation
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K MSI Z77 MPOWER  Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB SAMSUNG 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 SSD Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM Hyper 212 EVO Windows 7 
MonitorMonitorPowerCase
Asus VG236H 120hz Asus VH236h 60hz Rosewill Capstone 750W 80 PLUS Gold Cooler Master HAF 932 
MouseMouse Pad
RAZER DeathAdder Precision Optical Gaming Mouse Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
Reply
Salvation
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K MSI Z77 MPOWER  Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB SAMSUNG 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 SSD Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM Hyper 212 EVO Windows 7 
MonitorMonitorPowerCase
Asus VG236H 120hz Asus VH236h 60hz Rosewill Capstone 750W 80 PLUS Gold Cooler Master HAF 932 
MouseMouse Pad
RAZER DeathAdder Precision Optical Gaming Mouse Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Graphics Cards - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Building my Dream Computer, need your vote on these 4 cards!