Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Building my Dream Computer, need your vote on these 4 cards!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Building my Dream Computer, need your vote on these 4 cards! - Page 8

Poll Results: Please Read Part of the Thread Before Voting!

 
  • 34% (89)
    EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 680 2GB
  • 22% (57)
    MSI Lightning Radeon HD 7970 3GB
  • 6% (16)
    GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 680 2GB
  • 36% (94)
    SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB
256 Total Votes  
post #71 of 356
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accuracy158 View Post

In that case would personally knock the 4GB nvidia cards out of the equation you really don't need more than 2GB for 1080p and the 4GB cards cost substantially more. I also don't think the 680 gives enough performance over the 670 to justify the extra hundred dollars or so. Still all the cards would do you well so it comes down to the deals you find. (Yeah I know, I'm being awful budget conscious smile.gif )

Its understandable i usely think the same way. But this is my first full pc build and i have never kinda just went for everything and built a really top end pc. So i'm going to go for the 680 just to know i bought a high end card and my computer can crap on the witcher 2... story.. i loved witcher 1 and went to play 2 and couldnt even run it on low settings .. so i'm out for blood!

heres my build i have together so far. I'm at a budget of 1,700 and i start buying end of next week. I still need help deciding on the mobo and harddrives if anyones got any ideas.

Edit: was doing a 850w power supply but was told it was over kill so i decided to go 750. Cant find any good ones with a decent savings from the 850 if anyone has a better then the one i have listed aswel that be appreciated.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z77 MPOWER ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card ($469.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($75.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: BenQ XL2420T 120Hz 24.0" Monitor ($391.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $1599.91
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-11 01:55 EDT-0400)
Edited by Hyperion. - 9/10/12 at 11:08pm
Salvation
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K MSI Z77 MPOWER  Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB SAMSUNG 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 SSD Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM Hyper 212 EVO Windows 7 
MonitorMonitorPowerCase
Asus VG236H 120hz Asus VH236h 60hz Rosewill Capstone 750W 80 PLUS Gold Cooler Master HAF 932 
MouseMouse Pad
RAZER DeathAdder Precision Optical Gaming Mouse Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
Reply
Salvation
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K MSI Z77 MPOWER  Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB SAMSUNG 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 SSD Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM Hyper 212 EVO Windows 7 
MonitorMonitorPowerCase
Asus VG236H 120hz Asus VH236h 60hz Rosewill Capstone 750W 80 PLUS Gold Cooler Master HAF 932 
MouseMouse Pad
RAZER DeathAdder Precision Optical Gaming Mouse Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
Reply
post #72 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion. View Post

Just like everyone its really hard to decide. I look at bench marks and the 680 is clearly better on a 1080p 1 screen system. Which gives them a point from me as thats what i run. It also has the physX which isnt use that much but if anyone has seen that borderlands 2 physx trailer .. o my..
At the same time AMD has the higher ram bus and the 3gig. It doesnt run as well as the 680 on the smaller rez which i run but it is more future proof and that is what i need.
This all leaves me with a question.
What happens if you run out of VRAM?
Doesnt it just load blury and then pop in or does it start storing in the normal ram and drop frames about 10percent of max?

I had 2x 6850's in CFX, BF3 was alright. The frames dropped a lot for myself because BF3 likes more vRAM that happens on both sides of the game too, hence why I was suggesting a 3GB 7950 for less then a 2GB 670 even.
As for the PhysX in Borderlands 2.. It's going to the be only game with real PhysX features, the rest just do it for the marketing, if you actually looked at the trailer you'll notice there isn't lots of difference and you can still play the game, you'll also note that a few are fluked in the fact that one didn't even have the same objects?
Goodness, it really peeves me how they're allowed to do this, team up with dev's (& Marketing) to brand their games. It's almost discrimination, you should be able to play the game no matter what card you have as long as it's got the performance. (I'm not bashing on nVidia here, AMD do this too. Just less often).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion. View Post

Because you just gave me the most direct answer i have ever gotten, I am going to do the 3 following things
1. stand up and clap ........ just did, was gonna just do a 5 sec but i went for the 10sec just for you
2. buy the 680 superclock evga for that sexy support and be done with this video card reading and video watching BS
3. +rep you for being a king among men sir

Hate to be crude.. But you should be +reppin' everyone that helps you or at least gives you good advice.
I'm also fairly sure you were given that information basically within the first 2 pages rolleyes.gif
 
Seven Seven Five
(12 items)
 
NASSY
(5 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Convertible i5 3570k (De-Lidded) Gigabyte Z77x-D3H XFX R9 290 With Koolance Block (1179/1450) 16GB G-Skill Ares 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Evo Seagate Barracuda 2TB 1x OEM DVD Drives Heatkiller Rev 3.0 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC RX360 Laing D5 + XSPC Res Primochill Bloodshed Red Tubing Koolance Fullcover R9 290x Block 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
XSPC EX360 Windows 10 Pro x64 Asus VEH228H Asus VE228H 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Aavara TS742 Dual Monitor Stand Ducky Shine II Cherry Blue RED Backlit Mechanic... Silverstone Strider 850W Thermaltake Core x71 Tempered Glass Riing Edition 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Zowie FK1 House of Stealth Microlab Solo6c Logitech C100 Webcam 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Celeron N3160 HD Graphics 400 4GB DDR3 4TB WD Red 
Cooling
Some 120mm fan 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Seven Seven Five
(12 items)
 
NASSY
(5 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Convertible i5 3570k (De-Lidded) Gigabyte Z77x-D3H XFX R9 290 With Koolance Block (1179/1450) 16GB G-Skill Ares 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Evo Seagate Barracuda 2TB 1x OEM DVD Drives Heatkiller Rev 3.0 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC RX360 Laing D5 + XSPC Res Primochill Bloodshed Red Tubing Koolance Fullcover R9 290x Block 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
XSPC EX360 Windows 10 Pro x64 Asus VEH228H Asus VE228H 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Aavara TS742 Dual Monitor Stand Ducky Shine II Cherry Blue RED Backlit Mechanic... Silverstone Strider 850W Thermaltake Core x71 Tempered Glass Riing Edition 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Zowie FK1 House of Stealth Microlab Solo6c Logitech C100 Webcam 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Celeron N3160 HD Graphics 400 4GB DDR3 4TB WD Red 
Cooling
Some 120mm fan 
  hide details  
Reply
post #73 of 356
This might be of interest you you:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1297917/hd-7950-oc-vs-gtx-670-oc-vs-gtx-660-ti-oc

Just remembered it.
Don't Push that!
(21 items)
 
 
TheBeast
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3930k ASUS ROG Rampage IV Sapphire 7970 16 GB Samsung DDR3 @ 1600 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial 128GB 2.5" M4 SSD  WD Red 1TB WD Red 1TB WD Red 1TB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
WD Red 1TB LiteOn iHAS124-19 24x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Silver Arrow Bitfenix Spectre Pro 200mm 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Bitfenix Spectre Pro 230mm Windows 7 Corsair Professional Series AX750 750W Modular PSU Coolermaster HAF X 
MouseAudio
SteelSeries Sensei Laser Gaming Mouse ASUS XONAR DG 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 P5B-Deluxe Radeon HD 5970 Corsair  
CoolingCase
Hyper 212 Modded Cream Tower of Death 
CPUCPUCPUCPU
AMD Opteron 8439 SE AMD Opteron 8439 SE AMD Opteron 8439 SE AMD Opteron 8439 SE 
MotherboardGraphicsRAMRAM
H8QM8 560ti Kingston  Kingston  
RAMRAM
Kingston  Kingston  
  hide details  
Reply
Don't Push that!
(21 items)
 
 
TheBeast
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3930k ASUS ROG Rampage IV Sapphire 7970 16 GB Samsung DDR3 @ 1600 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial 128GB 2.5" M4 SSD  WD Red 1TB WD Red 1TB WD Red 1TB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
WD Red 1TB LiteOn iHAS124-19 24x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Silver Arrow Bitfenix Spectre Pro 200mm 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Bitfenix Spectre Pro 230mm Windows 7 Corsair Professional Series AX750 750W Modular PSU Coolermaster HAF X 
MouseAudio
SteelSeries Sensei Laser Gaming Mouse ASUS XONAR DG 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 P5B-Deluxe Radeon HD 5970 Corsair  
CoolingCase
Hyper 212 Modded Cream Tower of Death 
CPUCPUCPUCPU
AMD Opteron 8439 SE AMD Opteron 8439 SE AMD Opteron 8439 SE AMD Opteron 8439 SE 
MotherboardGraphicsRAMRAM
H8QM8 560ti Kingston  Kingston  
RAMRAM
Kingston  Kingston  
  hide details  
Reply
post #74 of 356
7970. 3gb of vram is the sweet spot for future proofing 1080p imo. Two would still crush 120hz and you get true unlocked voltage instead of this kepler boost nonsense. And I'm not a fanboy by any stretch, that's the way I would go. Before my 560ti 2gb sli setup, I had 6970's. Before those I had 580's. Even before those, 5870's and 480's. I go where the value is. In truth, I would likely grab 7950 crossfire. The card is very close to the same speed and are ~20% cheaper iirc. biggrin.gif Both are amazing cards, I've been very impressed with this gen actually. It's a tough decision, but the unlocked voltage puts it over the top for me.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
99% CS:GO =D
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
7600k ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero EVGA 980TI Hybrid Cooled Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial mx200 525gb Thermalright Silver Arrow Windows 10 BenQ XL2411 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky 1087 TKL w/TaiHao Hawaii Keycaps Seasonic G 750 Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Zowie ZA12 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Glorious PC Gaming Race XL Heavy ATH AD700x Xonar DSX 
  hide details  
Reply
99% CS:GO =D
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
7600k ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero EVGA 980TI Hybrid Cooled Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial mx200 525gb Thermalright Silver Arrow Windows 10 BenQ XL2411 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky 1087 TKL w/TaiHao Hawaii Keycaps Seasonic G 750 Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Zowie ZA12 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Glorious PC Gaming Race XL Heavy ATH AD700x Xonar DSX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #75 of 356
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Who Dat View Post

7970. 3gb of vram is the sweet spot for future proofing 1080p imo. Two would still crush 120hz and you get true unlocked voltage instead of this kepler boost nonsense. And I'm not a fanboy by any stretch, that's the way I would go. Before my 560ti 2gb sli setup, I had 6970's. Before those I had 580's. Even before those, 5870's and 480's. I go where the value is. In truth, I would likely grab 7950 crossfire. The card is very close to the same speed and are ~20% cheaper iirc. biggrin.gif Both are amazing cards, I've been very impressed with this gen actually. It's a tough decision, but the unlocked voltage puts it over the top for me.
Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Stand alone is the 680 not better than the 7970 fps wise in most games on 1080p. Also it seems that most people wont need more than 2gigs on that rez unless ofcourse you are modding skyrim to the max limit of possibility. Also if the new games need some much vram and the 7970 3gb is already being pushed to 2.3gb usage in modded skyrim. Than how is 3gb more future proofed than G80. I mean if 2gb is not enough how will the 7970 be enough with only 700mb free room.

So when is enough, enough? I could buy the better card now but no i cant if i do the next gen of games will bottleneck it. O well if i get the 7970 now its still a good card tho not as well optimized but i can run crazy amounts of modes! But will that stand up to next gen games that are looking to be vram hungry... Hmm it seems to me its a lose lose really and if i'm going to win this battle i need to just buy the 900$ 7970 6gb card i have seen.

Yeah i can always justify spending more or moving up to predict the future but wheres the stopping point?
Salvation
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K MSI Z77 MPOWER  Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB SAMSUNG 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 SSD Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM Hyper 212 EVO Windows 7 
MonitorMonitorPowerCase
Asus VG236H 120hz Asus VH236h 60hz Rosewill Capstone 750W 80 PLUS Gold Cooler Master HAF 932 
MouseMouse Pad
RAZER DeathAdder Precision Optical Gaming Mouse Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
Reply
Salvation
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K MSI Z77 MPOWER  Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB SAMSUNG 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 SSD Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM Hyper 212 EVO Windows 7 
MonitorMonitorPowerCase
Asus VG236H 120hz Asus VH236h 60hz Rosewill Capstone 750W 80 PLUS Gold Cooler Master HAF 932 
MouseMouse Pad
RAZER DeathAdder Precision Optical Gaming Mouse Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
Reply
post #76 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion. View Post

Stand alone is the 680 not better than the 7970 fps wise in most games on 1080p. Also it seems that most people wont need more than 2gigs on that rez unless ofcourse you are modding skyrim to the max limit of possibility. Also if the new games need some much vram and the 7970 3gb is already being pushed to 2.3gb usage in modded skyrim. Than how is 3gb more future proofed than G80. I mean if 2gb is not enough how will the 7970 be enough with only 700mb free room.
So when is enough, enough? I could buy the better card now but no i cant if i do the next gen of games will bottleneck it. O well if i get the 7970 now its still a good card tho not as well optimized but i can run crazy amounts of modes! But will that stand up to next gen games that are looking to be vram hungry... Hmm it seems to me its a lose lose really and if i'm going to win this battle i need to just buy the 900$ 7970 6gb card i have seen.
Yeah i can always justify spending more or moving up to predict the future but wheres the stopping point?

Something most people look at is the max FPS, and say "Well, this card is the best!", which isn't the case. Depending on which games you are going to be playing the 680 is slightly, a few %, faster than the 7970. Then in other games the 7970 is a few % faster than the 680. As I stated earlier, they trade blows back and forth and in the end, when looking at just max FPS, essentially tie. Now a major aspect of performance most people completely ignore, I am not sure why, are the minimum frame rates and the frame rate average! The AMD 7000 series tends to fair much better across the board than the 600 series, this being due to the higher amount of VRAM and the faster memory bus itself. The AMD 7970 Ghz Edition has 49.8% more throughput than the GTX 680, allowing for more stable frame rates. How so? With having the extra VRAM available a game is able to cache content on the video card in higher quantities, reducing the time and occurrences of it having to access the HDD or SSD to pull the data. It is during these access times that a game is going to take a major hit in performance and you are going to get that dip in frame rates, so avoiding them is key.

What most people don't realize about most reviews is that are pulling FPS and making claims is that they are not extended reviews. They are not taken over a long period of time, typically a review site will pick a location in a game and run around for 30 seconds, record the frame rates. Then with the next card, do the same thing in the same location. This isn't nearly long enough to actually put a load on the card and it typically avoids any instance of the game caching more data from the HDD/SSD. Thus slightly skewing the results from what you will really be seeing in game.

As for how much memory is too much? Well, some would argue there isn't something called too much, and some of us would argue that you need to look at what is considered main stream. If you REALLY wanted to future proof your system you would just buy the Sapphire Toxic 7970 Ghz Edition for $600, as it has 6GB of VRAM, but that is outside of your planned spending. When it comes to VRAM utilization Skyrim is one of only a few that breaks 2GB at 1080p, and this is only when heavily modded. It doesn't sound like a lot but having that 700MB buffer in available memory is a lot, so I wouldn't scoff at it. You very well could find yourself wishing you had that extra 700MB when next generation games start hitting in a year, as you should start to see those minimum frame rates further drop on the 600 series with its slower memory configuration.

Again, with the future in mind, and overall performance, this current cycle goes to AMD and I am strongly sticking with my recommendation of the 7970. This coming from hands on knowledge, some 20 years of experience, as well as god only knows how many reviews read.
Edited by PostalTwinkie - 9/11/12 at 9:32am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti Windforce OC 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti Windforce OC 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
post #77 of 356
Hmmm. That was some heavy claims made with nothing but speculation as proof. Since a lot if not all of that was counterintuitive to me, the reviews I've read and the experience I have, I would have appreciated some cold hard evidence.
The Air Tunnel
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4820K (4500MHz@1.28V) P9X79 Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X New Edition Team Group Vulcan 4x4GB 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
2x240GB SSD @RAID 0 Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Windows 10 Pro Corsair AX750 
CaseAudio
Rosewill Armor EVO hiFace+AudioGD+DT770Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
The Air Tunnel
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4820K (4500MHz@1.28V) P9X79 Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X New Edition Team Group Vulcan 4x4GB 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
2x240GB SSD @RAID 0 Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Windows 10 Pro Corsair AX750 
CaseAudio
Rosewill Armor EVO hiFace+AudioGD+DT770Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #78 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

Something most people look at is the max FPS, and say "Well, this card is the best!", which isn't the case. Depending on which games you are going to be playing the 680 is slightly, a few %, faster than the 7970. Then in other games the 7970 is a few % faster than the 680. As I stated earlier, they trade blows back and forth and in the end, when looking at just max FPS, essentially tie. Now a major aspect of performance most people completely ignore, I am not sure why, are the minimum frame rates and the frame rate average! The AMD 7000 series tends to fair much better across the board than the 600 series, this being due to the higher amount of VRAM and the faster memory bus itself. The AMD 7970 Ghz Edition has 49.8% more throughput than the GTX 680, allowing for more stable frame rates. How so? With having the extra VRAM available a game is able to cache content on the video card in higher quantities, reducing the time and occurrences of it having to access the HDD or SSD to pull the data. It is during these access times that a game is going to take a major hit in performance and you are going to get that dip in frame rates, so avoiding them is key.
What most people don't realize about most reviews is that are pulling FPS and making claims is that they are not extended reviews. They are not taken over a long period of time, typically a review site will pick a location in a game and run around for 30 seconds, record the frame rates. Then with the next card, do the same thing in the same location. This isn't nearly long enough to actually put a load on the card and it typically avoids any instance of the game caching more data from the HDD/SSD. Thus slightly skewing the results from what you will really be seeing in game.
As for how much memory is too much? Well, some would argue there isn't something called too much, and some of us would argue that you need to look at what is considered main stream. If you REALLY wanted to future proof your system you would just buy the Sapphire Toxic 7970 Ghz Edition for $600, as it has 6GB of VRAM, but that is outside of your planned spending. When it comes to VRAM utilization Skyrim is one of only a few that breaks 2GB at 1080p, and this is only when heavily modded. It doesn't sound like a lot but having that 700MB buffer in available memory is a lot, so I wouldn't scoff at it. You very well could find yourself wishing you had that extra 700MB when next generation games start hitting in a year, as you should start to see those minimum frame rates further drop on the 600 series with its slower memory configuration.
Again, with the future in mind, and overall performance, this current cycle goes to AMD and I am strongly sticking with my recommendation of the 7970. This coming from hands on knowledge, some 20 years of experience, as well as god only knows how many reviews read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by specopsFI View Post

Hmmm. That was some heavy claims made with nothing but speculation as proof. Since a lot if not all of that was counterintuitive to me, the reviews I've read and the experience I have, I would have appreciated some cold hard evidence.

Agreed. In fact, in most reviews it is the NVIDIA cards that fair better in the minimum and avg fps, not AMD.
Goliath
(13 items)
 
fBSD
(10 items)
 
pfSense Box
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770 Gigabyte z87x-ud3h Intel HD4600 G.Skill Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M500 Pioneer Blu-ray Burner Swiftech Polaris Linux Mint 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Korean 1440p WASD 104 key v2 - mx Blue switches Corsair HX-650 v2 Lian Li pc-a05n 
Mouse
Logitech G600 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2700k Asus z68 Deluxe Gen 3 Gt 610 8 Gb Samsung Magic Memory 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
WD Green WD Green FreeBSD 10 OCZ ModXtreme Pro 500 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Celeron G1620 Asus z68 Deluxe 9500 GT Corsair Value Ram 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
OCZ Agility SSD pfSense / FreeBSD SSH via LAN Antec 520w Gamer 
OtherOtherOther
Intel PCIe Dual Gigabit LAN card. D-Link Gigabit 8 port Switch Apple Airport Extreme N - for wireless access. 
  hide details  
Reply
Goliath
(13 items)
 
fBSD
(10 items)
 
pfSense Box
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770 Gigabyte z87x-ud3h Intel HD4600 G.Skill Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M500 Pioneer Blu-ray Burner Swiftech Polaris Linux Mint 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Korean 1440p WASD 104 key v2 - mx Blue switches Corsair HX-650 v2 Lian Li pc-a05n 
Mouse
Logitech G600 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2700k Asus z68 Deluxe Gen 3 Gt 610 8 Gb Samsung Magic Memory 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
WD Green WD Green FreeBSD 10 OCZ ModXtreme Pro 500 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Celeron G1620 Asus z68 Deluxe 9500 GT Corsair Value Ram 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
OCZ Agility SSD pfSense / FreeBSD SSH via LAN Antec 520w Gamer 
OtherOtherOther
Intel PCIe Dual Gigabit LAN card. D-Link Gigabit 8 port Switch Apple Airport Extreme N - for wireless access. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #79 of 356
You could buy the EVGA GTX 670, and if you aren't quite satisfied use the step up program to get the 680 for the difference in price within 90 days. And for Witcher 2 maxed out your gonna need more than one 6xx card. Two 480s (which is essentially the power of a 680) can handle the ubersampling but with some hits to the fps
Edited by JTHMfreak - 9/11/12 at 3:01pm
SKYnet
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel I7 4930K @ 4.6ghz ASUS Rampage IV Extreme EVGA GTX 970 EVGA GTX 970 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G. Skill Ripjaws X 4x4gb 1.5tb WD Caviar Green SATA Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD HP USB DVD 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Antec Kuhler 650 ThermalRight True Spirit 140 Power Windows 10 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung 240 HD TOC 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razor Lycosa PC Power and Cooling Silencer 910 NZXT Switch 810 Matte Black It clicks.............. 
Mouse Pad
IKEA $1 pad 
  hide details  
Reply
SKYnet
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel I7 4930K @ 4.6ghz ASUS Rampage IV Extreme EVGA GTX 970 EVGA GTX 970 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G. Skill Ripjaws X 4x4gb 1.5tb WD Caviar Green SATA Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD HP USB DVD 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Antec Kuhler 650 ThermalRight True Spirit 140 Power Windows 10 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung 240 HD TOC 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razor Lycosa PC Power and Cooling Silencer 910 NZXT Switch 810 Matte Black It clicks.............. 
Mouse Pad
IKEA $1 pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #80 of 356
People make these threads harder than they should be. It is widely accepted that the Radeon HD 7950 is the best dollar performance card in the current market. There is no arguing this as it is a sub $300 graphics card that can offer 670-, 680-, and 7970-like performance. Stock for stock, it is slightly behind the 670 and obviously behind the 7970. Using conventional overclocking methods, an overclocked 7950 will match if not outdo an overclocked GTX 670 for less money as Tahiti chips scale much better once overclocked vs. Kepler chips. Clock for clock, it will be about 4% slower than its bigger brother; the 7970. This is only true under the assumption that both the 7950 and 7970 can reach the same clocks. Some 7950s like mine will outshine some 7970s, 670s, and 680s but results will vary depending on samples.

Now between the 670 and 7970 with all things being equal, the 7970 will win more than it loses but even so the performance margin held by the 7970 is so small it is perfectly reasonable to go with the 670. Keep in mind though that the two are priced similarly.

The 680 in my opinion is the outlier. It is priced higher than the 7970 and the GHz Edition yet it offers equal performance. All things being equal with both overclocked to their relative maximums, the 680 MAY win more than it loses but once again that performance margin is so miniscule and trivial you really have to ask yourself if its worth spending more when cheaper cards will offer you similar performance for cheaper.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Graphics Cards - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Building my Dream Computer, need your vote on these 4 cards!