Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Small Form Factor Systems › [SCRATCH BUILD] Compact Splash - 14.5L / MITX / Watercooled 3770K + GTX570
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[SCRATCH BUILD] Compact Splash - 14.5L / MITX / Watercooled 3770K + GTX570 - Page 42

post #411 of 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiSK View Post

I think mostly that people just don't trust the Silverstone SFX units
1) They might think 450W is not enough (but it is)
2) They've heard it's noisy and don't want to void warranty by replacing the fan with e.g. Noiseblocker PC-P 80x15.
Quote:
Originally Posted by She loved E View Post

I'll add 3) they already own an ATX psu and want to reuse it. IMO this is a more valid concern than the two you mentioned, tho you're right that they are a concern for some. I have both modular and non-modular Silverstone's in my two rigs and have no noise or power issues from either of them. I think by now the issues with the first batch of gold PSUs has been fixed.

I appreciate all the work that you have put into Compact Splash so far and cant wait to see the order forms start rolling out! It is clear that really the only way to achieve getting power to the rig is though a SFX PSU. Perhaps once the order forms roll around you could also post a spot for the SketchUp Model?

1) I still have the feeling that 450W isn't enough especially with new cards coming out in the future I would hate for the PSU to be the limiting factor for upgrades. But if you say its enough and some others have too then I will trust it!

2) I have heard its noisy and I would replace the fan if it was with something from noctua but is it actually possible to replace the fan?

3) This was more my deal I already have a 850W PSU that is future proofed and I would like to be able to continue using it....

^ just my ideas on those
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K (Watercooled) ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe EVGA GTX 670 (Watercooled) Corsair Dominator Platinum  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
750GB Western Digital Scorpio Black Crucial M4  Custom Loop Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung SyncMaster 2494HM Dell 19 Inch  Cooler Master Quick Fire TK/Stealth  Silverstone ST45SF-G 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Compact Splash R.A.T. 7 Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD  Audio Technica ATH-M50 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K (Watercooled) ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe EVGA GTX 670 (Watercooled) Corsair Dominator Platinum  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
750GB Western Digital Scorpio Black Crucial M4  Custom Loop Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung SyncMaster 2494HM Dell 19 Inch  Cooler Master Quick Fire TK/Stealth  Silverstone ST45SF-G 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Compact Splash R.A.T. 7 Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD  Audio Technica ATH-M50 
  hide details  
Reply
post #412 of 816
1) 450w is totally enough, for allmost any singe card setup there.. and the power consumption is going down all the time, not up..

2) It is possible to replace the fan, the stock fan is soldered with + and - wire, so replacing it is easy, but choosin right fan might be tricky, since most PSU fans are controlled by Voltage and not all fans run same RPM at same voltage.

But yes, its thrue.. Voiding varriantly sucks, but if you are into modding, whats way to go wink.gif

And for the Compat splash, its one of the most awesome builds i've ever seen, just amazing!
post #413 of 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaam View Post

1) 450w is totally enough, for allmost any singe card setup there.. and the power consumption is going down all the time, not up..

2) It is possible to replace the fan, the stock fan is soldered with + and - wire, so replacing it is easy, but choosin right fan might be tricky, since most PSU fans are controlled by Voltage and not all fans run same RPM at same voltage.

But yes, its thrue.. Voiding varriantly sucks, but if you are into modding, whats way to go wink.gif

And for the Compat splash, its one of the most awesome builds i've ever seen, just amazing!

This.

You don't buy this case because you liked the MOTM and want a small case too, you buy it because you appreciate how much work has gone into designing such a small case while still maintaining compatibility with high end components and cooling solutions.

I have a TJ07, E-ATX motherboard and 3 mechanical hard drives, and as soon as I saw this case, I knew I had to have it. Now I've gotta figure out how I can downsize my giant rig into something so small. I will have to make several compromises, but in the end it will be worth it, because I will have something so custom, limited and special.

The power supply issue is a pain, yes, but its not the end of the world. 450W is enough to power almost everything that you could physically fit into this case. It is a shame that there is really only one option for power supplies, but that is just a minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things. Blame manufacturers for not making a wide range of small power supplies, don't blame these guys for finding the only one that would work.

Is it the perfect case? No, not by a long shot. It is however, the most intelligently-designed, small form-factor case that I have ever seen, and I think it does what is required of it extremely well. Nothing more, nothing less.

EDIT: golfergolfer, this wasn't meant as an attack on you, I just started writing and this is where I ended up.
Ace
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz ASRock Z77E-ITX EVGA GTX 680 Hydro Copper G.Skill Ares Series 16GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 PRO Series 256GB WD Scorpio Black 750GB Asus External XSPC EX240 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
XSPC EX120 EK Supreme HF Swiftech MCP355 w/ EK Top Windows 8 Professional Plus MC 64-Bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
LG W2442PA 24" 1080P LG W2442PA 24" 1080P Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silverstone ST45SF-G 450W SFX  
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Compact Splash #001 Mionix Naos 5000 Steelseries 4HD 
  hide details  
Reply
Ace
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz ASRock Z77E-ITX EVGA GTX 680 Hydro Copper G.Skill Ares Series 16GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 PRO Series 256GB WD Scorpio Black 750GB Asus External XSPC EX240 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
XSPC EX120 EK Supreme HF Swiftech MCP355 w/ EK Top Windows 8 Professional Plus MC 64-Bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
LG W2442PA 24" 1080P LG W2442PA 24" 1080P Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silverstone ST45SF-G 450W SFX  
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Compact Splash #001 Mionix Naos 5000 Steelseries 4HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #414 of 816
I AGREE, GOOD SIR.
Feed The Dada
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-2600k Asrock Z77e-itx MSI 7970 Samsung 30nm 8GB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 840 250GB SSD H100 w/ 2x SP120 Antec Kuhler 920 w/ 1x SP120 Linux Ubuntu 10.10 
PowerCaseAudioAudio
Seasonic X650 Bitfenix Prodigy E07K HFI-580 
  hide details  
Reply
Feed The Dada
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-2600k Asrock Z77e-itx MSI 7970 Samsung 30nm 8GB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 840 250GB SSD H100 w/ 2x SP120 Antec Kuhler 920 w/ 1x SP120 Linux Ubuntu 10.10 
PowerCaseAudioAudio
Seasonic X650 Bitfenix Prodigy E07K HFI-580 
  hide details  
Reply
post #415 of 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaam View Post

2) It is possible to replace the fan, the stock fan is soldered with + and - wire, so replacing it is easy, but choosin right fan might be tricky, since most PSU fans are controlled by Voltage and not all fans run same RPM at same voltage.

As I hinted above, apparently Machupo found the perfect fit with the Noiseblocker PC-P 80x15. It has the same voltage range, with a little less rpms, but still comparable airflow, much quieter and a rubber mounting system to avoid vibrations. I ordered one, just in case, but haven't installed it because the PSU fan doesn't bother me (yet).
Lori Lemaris 023
(21 items)
 
Felicity Harmon
(23 items)
 
Moneypenny
(12 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
Lori Lemaris 023
(21 items)
 
Felicity Harmon
(23 items)
 
Moneypenny
(12 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #416 of 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiSK View Post

As I hinted above, apparently Machupo found the perfect fit with the Noiseblocker PC-P 80x15. It has the same voltage range, with a little less rpms, but still comparable airflow, much quieter and a rubber mounting system to avoid vibrations. I ordered one, just in case, but haven't installed it because the PSU fan doesn't bother me (yet).

I will have to look into this fan just in case wink.gif Who is Machupo? rolleyes.gif

@airplaneman - No offence taken I see the point you are trying to prove and I do realize it because I have been here from the start. I still remember when this thread started and things were just on the drawing board, I wanted to make something small and I had my own design that I sent off to SLE so that he could see some other ideas. I have always been looking to go smaller and have countless models in sketchup made trying to achieve the perfect balance and I must say this is it. The only reason why I am asking the questions I do is because I want to try and expand the market more for SLE, I was pushing the ATX PSU idea because I have 6 friends who might have bought one if it was compatible with ATX PSU.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K (Watercooled) ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe EVGA GTX 670 (Watercooled) Corsair Dominator Platinum  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
750GB Western Digital Scorpio Black Crucial M4  Custom Loop Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung SyncMaster 2494HM Dell 19 Inch  Cooler Master Quick Fire TK/Stealth  Silverstone ST45SF-G 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Compact Splash R.A.T. 7 Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD  Audio Technica ATH-M50 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K (Watercooled) ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe EVGA GTX 670 (Watercooled) Corsair Dominator Platinum  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
750GB Western Digital Scorpio Black Crucial M4  Custom Loop Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung SyncMaster 2494HM Dell 19 Inch  Cooler Master Quick Fire TK/Stealth  Silverstone ST45SF-G 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Compact Splash R.A.T. 7 Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD  Audio Technica ATH-M50 
  hide details  
Reply
post #417 of 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfergolfer View Post

I will have to look into this fan just in case wink.gif Who is Machupo? rolleyes.gif

@airplaneman - No offence taken I see the point you are trying to prove and I do realize it because I have been here from the start. I still remember when this thread started and things were just on the drawing board, I wanted to make something small and I had my own design that I sent off to SLE so that he could see some other ideas. I have always been looking to go smaller and have countless models in sketchup made trying to achieve the perfect balance and I must say this is it. The only reason why I am asking the questions I do is because I want to try and expand the market more for SLE, I was pushing the ATX PSU idea because I have 6 friends who might have bought one if it was compatible with ATX PSU.

Haha, if you've read my posts in this thread, I'm all about expanding the market for this build too tongue.gif

I really would love to see an ATX power supply in Compact Splash, and its incompatibility with ATX power supplies is probably its biggest flaw. I just see a lot of complaining over this one little issue, when at the end of the day, it isn't really a big deal at all. What I was trying to do, and what I now see you are also trying to do, is just help people realize how unique and awesome this case really is.
Ace
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz ASRock Z77E-ITX EVGA GTX 680 Hydro Copper G.Skill Ares Series 16GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 PRO Series 256GB WD Scorpio Black 750GB Asus External XSPC EX240 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
XSPC EX120 EK Supreme HF Swiftech MCP355 w/ EK Top Windows 8 Professional Plus MC 64-Bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
LG W2442PA 24" 1080P LG W2442PA 24" 1080P Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silverstone ST45SF-G 450W SFX  
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Compact Splash #001 Mionix Naos 5000 Steelseries 4HD 
  hide details  
Reply
Ace
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz ASRock Z77E-ITX EVGA GTX 680 Hydro Copper G.Skill Ares Series 16GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 PRO Series 256GB WD Scorpio Black 750GB Asus External XSPC EX240 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
XSPC EX120 EK Supreme HF Swiftech MCP355 w/ EK Top Windows 8 Professional Plus MC 64-Bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
LG W2442PA 24" 1080P LG W2442PA 24" 1080P Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silverstone ST45SF-G 450W SFX  
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Compact Splash #001 Mionix Naos 5000 Steelseries 4HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #418 of 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by She loved E View Post

I'm still investigating shoehorning an ATX PSU into the design because so many people have asked about it.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! ohno-smiley.gif

I do wish someone would come out with a 600 or 650 watt mini PSU though, that would make putting an overclocked 690 in possible ph34r-smiley.gif
Edited by Dr. Gibbs - 1/30/13 at 9:31am
Frugality
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 550 EVGA p55 Micro EVGA GTX 670 Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Force 120 boot drive. WD 500GB storage drive. WD 250GB Scratch & Recording drive Cooler Master Hyper 212+ 
PowerCase
Rosewill Capstone 450 Watt  Core 1000 
  hide details  
Reply
Frugality
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 550 EVGA p55 Micro EVGA GTX 670 Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Force 120 boot drive. WD 500GB storage drive. WD 250GB Scratch & Recording drive Cooler Master Hyper 212+ 
PowerCase
Rosewill Capstone 450 Watt  Core 1000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #419 of 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by airplaneman View Post

Haha, if you've read my posts in this thread, I'm all about expanding the market for this build too tongue.gif

I really would love to see an ATX power supply in Compact Splash, and its incompatibility with ATX power supplies is probably its biggest flaw. I just see a lot of complaining over this one little issue, when at the end of the day, it isn't really a big deal at all. What I was trying to do, and what I now see you are also trying to do, is just help people realize how unique and awesome this case really is.

Why not offer two sizes w/wo room for ATX PSU? wink.gif
post #420 of 816
Thread Starter 
Honestly, for me its tough to find time to finalize the current case with everything going on (moving, job change, etc.) nevermind trying to do it for a second design. That would also compound the challenge of getting enough orders to bring the per-unit price down.

I've also had a hard time getting a hold of Dwood lately... he's kind of important at this stage! exclamation.gif

As I hinted at before I've decided to keep a lot of the original design intact at the expense of some of the added hardware people have asked about (larger/more drives, ATX PSU etc). By doing some additional investigation I found an all-up redesign would be needed to even try to get those things in. And it would have lost a lot of the simplicity, and compromised my own size goals, that IMO made the original concept so appealing. I know that will turn some off to it (esp. golfer who I really wanted to make it work for! helpinghand.gif ), but I've got to make the call or this'll never get off the ground. My own personal goal now is to sell 10 copies and call it a success. Yes its a lot of work for potentially not a lot of impact but I'd rather make those 10 people happy than create something that's just like all the stuff you can already buy.

And if I can call this a success, I'll feel a lot better about doing another design. That fits an ATX PSU. And maybe an optical drive. tongue.gif
 
Compact Splash
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3220 Intel DQ77KB Integrated. What. Corsair 1x8GB Laptop Memory 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Plextor 128GB mSata SSD Ubuntu Delta PA-5M10 None. 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.7GHz ASRock Z77E MITX EVGA GTX 570 HD 2.5GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 830 128GB SSD XSPC EX120 + EX240 XSPC Raystorm Copper EK FC570 GTX SE (rev. 1.1) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Swiftech MCP35X pump 3x GT AP-15 fans Tecnofront nano res one million bitspower fittings 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Dell U2410 Silverstone ST45SF-G Scratch built 14.75L prototype 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.8GHz [DELIDDED] ASRock Z77E Samsung Low Voltage 2x4GB Crucial M4 128GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
WD 80GB 5400RPM Corsair H100i ubuntu 13.10 18" Dell Ultrasharp (4:3 Free Oldskool Edition) 
PowerCase
Silverstone ST45SF Compact Splash Prototype 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Compact Splash
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3220 Intel DQ77KB Integrated. What. Corsair 1x8GB Laptop Memory 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Plextor 128GB mSata SSD Ubuntu Delta PA-5M10 None. 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.7GHz ASRock Z77E MITX EVGA GTX 570 HD 2.5GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 830 128GB SSD XSPC EX120 + EX240 XSPC Raystorm Copper EK FC570 GTX SE (rev. 1.1) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Swiftech MCP35X pump 3x GT AP-15 fans Tecnofront nano res one million bitspower fittings 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Dell U2410 Silverstone ST45SF-G Scratch built 14.75L prototype 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.8GHz [DELIDDED] ASRock Z77E Samsung Low Voltage 2x4GB Crucial M4 128GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
WD 80GB 5400RPM Corsair H100i ubuntu 13.10 18" Dell Ultrasharp (4:3 Free Oldskool Edition) 
PowerCase
Silverstone ST45SF Compact Splash Prototype 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Small Form Factor Systems
Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Small Form Factor Systems › [SCRATCH BUILD] Compact Splash - 14.5L / MITX / Watercooled 3770K + GTX570