Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Phones › iPhone 5 or S3??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone 5 or S3?? - Page 3

Poll Results: S3 vs iPhone 5

 
  • 73% (125)
    Samsung Galaxy S3
  • 26% (45)
    Apple iPhone 5
170 Total Votes  
post #21 of 106
Thread Starter 
Please don't turn this thread into an Apple vs. Samsung thread and don't just give me reasons like "Samsung because it's not made by Apple". I'm actually just looking for really objective reasons as to why I should choose each phone. Also, customization isn't really that big of a deal to me because I always jailbreak my iPhone as soon as they release it for the current iOS but it would be nice if I didn't have to because it just makes the phone really slow. I did say I was disappointed by the iPhone 5 but the two reasons I gave are really deal breakers for me if I do decide to switch to Android. I don't think anyone has really gave an answer as to how I can be able to stay in my friends group texts if they're texting using iMessage. Also, I have to switch because my phone actually just bricked a couple of days ago and I need a new phone. Just can't decide which one to get
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 965 MSI 870S-G54 (MS-7599) XFX Radeon HD 6870 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000.D Sony 24X SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive Cooler Master Hyper 212+ 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional x64 Corsair K60 Rosewill HIVE 650W PSU Generic Case 
Mouse
Microsoft SideWinder X3 Mouse 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 965 MSI 990FXA-GD80 EVGA GTX 680 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000.D Crucial M4 Sony 24X SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive 
CoolingOSKeyboardPower
Corsair H100 Windows 7 Professional x64 Corsair K60 Corsair AX850 
CaseMouse
NZXT Switch 810 Razer Deathadder 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE EVGA GTX 680 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000.D Crucial M4 Corsair H80 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional x64 Corsair K60 Silverstone ST50F-P Fractal Design Node 304 
Mouse
Razer Deathadder 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 965 MSI 870S-G54 (MS-7599) XFX Radeon HD 6870 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000.D Sony 24X SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive Cooler Master Hyper 212+ 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional x64 Corsair K60 Rosewill HIVE 650W PSU Generic Case 
Mouse
Microsoft SideWinder X3 Mouse 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 965 MSI 990FXA-GD80 EVGA GTX 680 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000.D Crucial M4 Sony 24X SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive 
CoolingOSKeyboardPower
Corsair H100 Windows 7 Professional x64 Corsair K60 Corsair AX850 
CaseMouse
NZXT Switch 810 Razer Deathadder 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE EVGA GTX 680 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000.D Crucial M4 Corsair H80 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional x64 Corsair K60 Silverstone ST50F-P Fractal Design Node 304 
Mouse
Razer Deathadder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by aadk View Post

Please don't turn this thread into an Apple vs. Samsung thread and don't just give me reasons like "Samsung because it's not made by Apple". I'm actually just looking for really objective reasons as to why I should choose each phone. Also, customization isn't really that big of a deal to me because I always jailbreak my iPhone as soon as they release it for the current iOS but it would be nice if I didn't have to because it just makes the phone really slow. I did say I was disappointed by the iPhone 5 but the two reasons I gave are really deal breakers for me if I do decide to switch to Android. I don't think anyone has really gave an answer as to how I can be able to stay in my friends group texts if they're texting using iMessage. Also, I have to switch because my phone actually just bricked a couple of days ago and I need a new phone. Just can't decide which one to get

Slow after a jailbreak? I think you're doing something wrong. My 4 or 4S have never slowed down after a jailbreak, heck even my brother's iPod touch 4 hasn't slowed down after a jailbreak.

I'd say you stick with iOS.
:D
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K [4.5ghz] Asus P8Z77 V-Pro Asus GTX 760 2X4gb Corsair XMS3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD Blue 1TB EZEX X 2 [RAID 0] [WD Black 640GB][2 X WD Blue 1TB EZEX] Corsair H80i Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Dell Ultrasharp 23" Corsair CX430W v2 Corsair Graphite 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
:D
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K [4.5ghz] Asus P8Z77 V-Pro Asus GTX 760 2X4gb Corsair XMS3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD Blue 1TB EZEX X 2 [RAID 0] [WD Black 640GB][2 X WD Blue 1TB EZEX] Corsair H80i Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Dell Ultrasharp 23" Corsair CX430W v2 Corsair Graphite 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 106
I dont have S3 but S2, and also 4S, so i'll assume that Androis OS doesnt have lots of changes from S2 model. I'd say go with i5.

4S is easy to use, fast and reliable phone. Also used S2, even the beginning it starts to bore you, you need to sign license agreements anywhere you touched during the first use and that was the first moment i said '***'.

After that 90percent people i spoke they didnt understand a word i said 'Speak Louder sir' 'What did you say' 'Please repeat' etc. And everytime you want to hand up, you have to do finger combo, first touch hang up, then press the button next to it etc., if you forget it, it remains open... If you're in conference means you're trouble..

Maybe there are fixes or shorcuts etc, but i just dont want to use the phone anymore.

As a user of 3GS, 4S and Ipad 2, i'm very happy with iOS.

Also, there's a jailbreak, nuff said
SR3
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770K Ivy Bridge Gigabyte Z77X UD5H MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr III Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Corsair GT 120GB  Seagate 1.5 TB 7200 RPM XSPC Raystorm CPU Block Alphacool 240mm 60mm Rad 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Alphacool 120mm 45mm rad Laing 10W DDC-Pump 12V DDC-1T Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Acer S243 24' 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer X203H 20' Logitech Illuminated Thermaltake ToughPower 750W CoolerMaster Storm Trooper 
MouseAudio
Mad Catz/Saitek R.A.T. 7 MMO Razer Tiamat 7.1 Elite 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 960 Nehalem Gigabyte X58A  AMD HD5870 IHS  12 GB Patriot Viper 1333 Mhz 
CoolingOSMonitorCase
Noctua DH-14  Windows 7 64 Ultimate Acer 20' Coolermaster HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
SR3
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770K Ivy Bridge Gigabyte Z77X UD5H MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr III Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Corsair GT 120GB  Seagate 1.5 TB 7200 RPM XSPC Raystorm CPU Block Alphacool 240mm 60mm Rad 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Alphacool 120mm 45mm rad Laing 10W DDC-Pump 12V DDC-1T Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Acer S243 24' 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer X203H 20' Logitech Illuminated Thermaltake ToughPower 750W CoolerMaster Storm Trooper 
MouseAudio
Mad Catz/Saitek R.A.T. 7 MMO Razer Tiamat 7.1 Elite 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 960 Nehalem Gigabyte X58A  AMD HD5870 IHS  12 GB Patriot Viper 1333 Mhz 
CoolingOSMonitorCase
Noctua DH-14  Windows 7 64 Ultimate Acer 20' Coolermaster HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 106
Get the S3, a hyperion 4200 mAh Battery, and a sturdy case. That is what I have and its wonderful.
iphones use metal bodies and break for no apparent reason, while the G3 has a plastic body, people say "but awh it feels muhch moar sturdee" It all wont matter when you drop your iPhone and the screen breaks into a million pieces, The lightweight plastic absorbs much more shock than the iphones can.
post #25 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by aadk View Post

Please don't turn this thread into an Apple vs. Samsung thread and don't just give me reasons like "Samsung because it's not made by Apple". I'm actually just looking for really objective reasons as to why I should choose each phone. Also, customization isn't really that big of a deal to me because I always jailbreak my iPhone as soon as they release it for the current iOS but it would be nice if I didn't have to because it just makes the phone really slow. I did say I was disappointed by the iPhone 5 but the two reasons I gave are really deal breakers for me if I do decide to switch to Android. I don't think anyone has really gave an answer as to how I can be able to stay in my friends group texts if they're texting using iMessage. Also, I have to switch because my phone actually just bricked a couple of days ago and I need a new phone. Just can't decide which one to get

For me that is a justification.

If you want customisation then go for the Android. It's easier to do, doesn't require rooting, but rooting is extremely easy to do. There's no worry of waiting for a jailbroken version of your firmware to come out, or missing out on new updates because the version of the software you use hasn't been cracked/jailbroken yet.

With iOS, a new version comes and if you're jailbroken, you have to abstain for a week, maybe even months, depends how hard Apple have made it to customise your device/jailbreak.

With Android, more specifically, you can root extremely easily by installing a rooted kernel and a SuperUser app (they're in the same package, usually). When a new software version comes from Samsung, you install it over your existing install, don't lose a single byte of data, and then you simply reinstall your kernel, or use the rooted kernel that comes with it. Waiting time? Hours. The software (Odin) you use to flash these things? Free and around 20mb. Chance of bricking your device? Nil (unless you disconnect it while flashing, or lose power... same goes for any flashing process. Even then it's just a case of flash again when you do have power.)

The iPhone 5 offers nothing new that Android hasn't been doing for at least 6 months.

I don't think the GSIII is at all plastic-y and it's quite light. The build quality on it seems really nice and the screen is quite scratch resistant. If you want some more bulk on it, buy a case for it. There's a good Aegis Trident case on the market that's sexy as hell.


As for messaging, get your friends to use WhatsApp, it's available cross platform on Android, WP, iOS and even Blackberry.




Here's my current setup with my GS3. I have the latest ICS version from Samsung (XXBLG9) rooted. It took me literally 10 minutes from turning the phone on the first time, to having it rooted (I read about it before, of course and had the files ready to go... my download speeds would increase the time otherwise ). When the official JellyBean Android from Samsung drops I'll be able to install it the second it arrives AND have root and there will be no messing around waiting for it to be cracked like iPhone jailbreaks.

Stock GS3 homescreen:


My current homescreen:


Difficulty to achieve this? Nil. After rooting and installing a custom recovery, I flashed one file that is a theme/reskin and I had those sexy blue colours. There are other themes/colours too.
Edited by Rubers - 9/14/12 at 11:52am
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
Reply
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post

I dont have S3 but S2, and also 4S, so i'll assume that Androis OS doesnt have lots of changes from S2 model. I'd say go with i5.
4S is easy to use, fast and reliable phone. Also used S2, even the beginning it starts to bore you, you need to sign license agreements anywhere you touched during the first use and that was the first moment i said '***'.
After that 90percent people i spoke they didnt understand a word i said 'Speak Louder sir' 'What did you say' 'Please repeat' etc. And everytime you want to hand up, you have to do finger combo, first touch hang up, then press the button next to it etc., if you forget it, it remains open... If you're in conference means you're trouble..
Maybe there are fixes or shorcuts etc, but i just dont want to use the phone anymore.
As a user of 3GS, 4S and Ipad 2, i'm very happy with iOS.
Also, there's a jailbreak, nuff said

None of this pertains to the GS3 and thus isn't at all relevant. The sound on the GS3 is brilliant, very clear, and it's one button to hang up.
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
Reply
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by iWorkAtStaples View Post

Cons
Everyone seems to have one
Easy to break
Cant customize a lot
Cant change the ringtone on text message (a bit nit picky) but being a gamer, I thought it was cool to have the xBox Startup as a text message ringtone and the achievement unlocked sound when I got an email.

I can agree you can't customize a lot with out jailbreaking, but on my 4s i can set custom tones for everything not jailbroken currently. Get a good case, it wont break (Not sure how that sounds but I'm not being sarcastic) I learned my lesson with my 3gs when i dropped it when getting out of a isuzu npr without a case when I was working not the best phone to have as a mechanic.... haha, and then I got my 4s.

edits: grammar and wording
Edited by Skydragon26 - 9/14/12 at 11:56am
 
Known Purpose
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
R7 1700 ASRock AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac Tri-X R9 290X 8G D5 Ballistix Tactical 8GB Kit  
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
OCZ Trion 150- 240Gb Corsair H60 Windows 10 64 bit / Solus Budgie Qisan Mini Mechanical- Gateron Brown Switches 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 Cooler Master Elite 120a MSI Interceptor DS100 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Known Purpose
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
R7 1700 ASRock AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac Tri-X R9 290X 8G D5 Ballistix Tactical 8GB Kit  
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
OCZ Trion 150- 240Gb Corsair H60 Windows 10 64 bit / Solus Budgie Qisan Mini Mechanical- Gateron Brown Switches 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 Cooler Master Elite 120a MSI Interceptor DS100 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 106
Galaxy S3.

iPhones have absolutely no distinction between another phone. All look the same, only difference is the case.
4" screen... really? that isn't doable in my world. I personally prefer 4.5" or above..
post #29 of 106
I really liked how GSIII feel in the hand. I personally see iOS as something that just works but getting old. Kind of like having Windows XP still. People liked it but you had to move one and make the Vista jump to get people ready for Windows 7. Because of that before you even get it the phone feels outdated.
Edited by ZealotKi11er - 9/14/12 at 3:09pm
Ishimura
(21 items)
 
Silent Knight
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz ASRock Z77E-ITX eVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid AMD Radeon R9 16GB DDR3-2400MHz  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB Toshiba X300 5TB Corsair H100i GTX eVGA Hybrid Water Cooler  
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
4x GentleTyphoon AP-15 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K Razer BlackWidow Chroma  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
eVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 Define Nano S Logitech G502 Proteus Core PECHAM Gaming Mouse Pad XX-Large 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Audioengine D1 DAC Mackie CR Series CR3 Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Sennheiser HD 598 
Audio
Sony XB950BT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.2GHz ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB @ 1200/1500 2x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 60GB WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
EK-FC7970 XSPC RS360 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Corsair TX750 
Case
NZXT Switch 810  
  hide details  
Reply
Ishimura
(21 items)
 
Silent Knight
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz ASRock Z77E-ITX eVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid AMD Radeon R9 16GB DDR3-2400MHz  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB Toshiba X300 5TB Corsair H100i GTX eVGA Hybrid Water Cooler  
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
4x GentleTyphoon AP-15 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K Razer BlackWidow Chroma  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
eVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 Define Nano S Logitech G502 Proteus Core PECHAM Gaming Mouse Pad XX-Large 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Audioengine D1 DAC Mackie CR Series CR3 Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Sennheiser HD 598 
Audio
Sony XB950BT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.2GHz ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB @ 1200/1500 2x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 60GB WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
EK-FC7970 XSPC RS360 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Corsair TX750 
Case
NZXT Switch 810  
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

I really liked how GSIII feel in the hand. I personally see iOS as something that just works but getting old. Kind of like having Windows XP sill. People liked it but you had to move one and make the Vista jump to get people ready for Windows 7. Because of that before you even get it the phone feels outdated.

I do agree with this as well. Based on my post before, as you can see I moved phones a lot. You do just get bored with it. This time, its for good until something radical changes. Unfortunately, I need my phone to always be on, ready to go, ready to work, for work and I have found the iPhone to be the best at that.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Phones
Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Phones › iPhone 5 or S3??