Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Is This 670 Unlocked?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is This 670 Unlocked? - Page 2

post #11 of 23
It has a higher power target, this is a higher power ceiling so you do not cap out your power envelope.

In most cases you don't need to worry about this, but there are a few instances where this can really help.
jfreeZr
(11 items)
 
hadronGTX
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770K @ 5.2GHz EVGA Z87 Classified EVGA GTX 980 ACX2 2666MHz CL12 DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2x Samsung EVO RAID0 Phase Change Win8.1 64 Catleap 27" 2560x1440 110Hz 
PowerCaseAudio
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 Primochill Wet Bench Core3D + Sennheiser HD595 + iBasso Amp 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel 3770K EVGA Z77 Stinger EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti ACX 2x Vertex3 SSD 480GB RAID0 
CoolingCase
Corsair H60 EVGA Hadron Hydro 
  hide details  
Reply
jfreeZr
(11 items)
 
hadronGTX
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770K @ 5.2GHz EVGA Z87 Classified EVGA GTX 980 ACX2 2666MHz CL12 DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2x Samsung EVO RAID0 Phase Change Win8.1 64 Catleap 27" 2560x1440 110Hz 
PowerCaseAudio
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 Primochill Wet Bench Core3D + Sennheiser HD595 + iBasso Amp 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel 3770K EVGA Z77 Stinger EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti ACX 2x Vertex3 SSD 480GB RAID0 
CoolingCase
Corsair H60 EVGA Hadron Hydro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy1998 View Post

Some of my research has lead me to believe not, but seeing as it's a 680 PCB, I can't imagine that it would be locked.

FYI, reference GTX 680s are not voltage unlocked. The only cards with voltage control out-of-the-box are the MSI GTX 670 Twin Frozr IV PE and the MSI GTX 680 Lightning, AFAIK.
Audio E-peen
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-5960X ASRock X99E-ITX/ac Unobtainium GPU 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB Corsair H100i Corsair SP120 High-Performance PWM x2 Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM x2 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NF-A9x14 Windows 10 Pro x64 Dell U2715H Logitech G710+ 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone SX600-G NCASE M1 v4 Logitech G700s eVGA GTX 590 Mouse Mat 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Schiit Yggdrasil Unobtainium Amplifier Unobtainium Headphones Cambridge Audio Azur 851A 
AudioAudioOther
Anthony Gallo Acoustics Reference Strada JH Audio JH13 Pro (Custom Silver Cables) Herman Miller Embody 
  hide details  
Reply
Audio E-peen
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-5960X ASRock X99E-ITX/ac Unobtainium GPU 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB Corsair H100i Corsair SP120 High-Performance PWM x2 Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM x2 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NF-A9x14 Windows 10 Pro x64 Dell U2715H Logitech G710+ 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone SX600-G NCASE M1 v4 Logitech G700s eVGA GTX 590 Mouse Mat 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Schiit Yggdrasil Unobtainium Amplifier Unobtainium Headphones Cambridge Audio Azur 851A 
AudioAudioOther
Anthony Gallo Acoustics Reference Strada JH Audio JH13 Pro (Custom Silver Cables) Herman Miller Embody 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 23
I guess @ 279$,a 7950 isn't up to a 670?I'll risk it hell for the price of a 680 I can grab 2 almost
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by friend'scatdied View Post

FYI, reference GTX 680s are not voltage unlocked. The only cards with voltage control out-of-the-box are the MSI GTX 670 Twin Frozr IV PE and the MSI GTX 680 Lightning, AFAIK.

Not even. 680 Lightning requires a bios mod in order to unlock voltage. Check out the 680 Lightning owners club. If you are big on overclocking, you should probably check out the 7950 and 7970 as they can pushed quite far from default. My 7950 can reach 1280MHz on the core and 1800MHz on the memory. Mind you, that is a 60% core overclock! And a 44% memory overclock. At these frequencies, it'll match some of the best 670's and surpass the majority of 670's. It's a serious performance value card... no joke thumb.gif
post #15 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by friend'scatdied View Post

FYI, reference GTX 680s are not voltage unlocked. The only cards with voltage control out-of-the-box are the MSI GTX 670 Twin Frozr IV PE and the MSI GTX 680 Lightning, AFAIK.
That's not what I meant... I was just saying that it's odd to use such an overkill power deilvery system, and then lock it down. I would have thought EVGA would mod the pcb and stuff a little to be overvolted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbaltazar View Post

I guess @ 279$,a 7950 isn't up to a 670?I'll risk it hell for the price of a 680 I can grab 2 almost
I might go that route... I can only afford 1 670 right now, and I was going to get a second later on... But 2 x 7950 / 7970 right out of the gates would be much nicer. And the cooler would match better too...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruennis View Post

Not even. 680 Lightning requires a bios mod in order to unlock voltage. Check out the 680 Lightning owners club. If you are big on overclocking, you should probably check out the 7950 and 7970 as they can pushed quite far from default. My 7950 can reach 1280MHz on the core and 1800MHz on the memory. Mind you, that is a 60% core overclock! And a 44% memory overclock. At these frequencies, it'll match some of the best 670's and surpass the majority of 670's. It's a serious performance value card... no joke thumb.gif
I might go with that... I just wish more people made the 7970 GHz edition. I think that a pair of normal 7970's might do me just fine though. My only question about AMD graphics is: Does Sony Vegas support it for GPU rendering? I know it supports Nvidia Cuda, but does it also work with AMD's core system?
post #16 of 23
Thread Starter 
Okay guys. I want to get some clarification here. You all pointed me towards AMD gpu's... And I searched, and I searched, and I searched. And I found no good ones. So I posted on here. And people searched, and searched, and searched. And found nothing. So my question all along is why is AMD better for me here? Another thing I want to know is do AMD cards work with Sony Vegas for GPU rendering? Because I know Nvidia Cuda does.
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy1998 View Post

Okay guys. I want to get some clarification here. You all pointed me towards AMD gpu's... And I searched, and I searched, and I searched. And I found no good ones. So I posted on here. And people searched, and searched, and searched. And found nothing. So my question all along is why is AMD better for me here? Another thing I want to know is do AMD cards work with Sony Vegas for GPU rendering? Because I know Nvidia Cuda does.

? The HD 7950 is the clear winner in this generation in terms of bang-for-the-buck, and it offers top-tier performance that is within spitting distance of the GTX 670/680 and HD 7970 for hundreds less.

I would get one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125414
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102989
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127667
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127667

AMD has the better GPGPU capability, but NVIDIA has really monopolized their CUDA framework for compute. However based on these charts I believe the OpenCL support should be there for Radeon cards in Vegas -- and they perform better than the 670 or 680 do at OpenCL compute.
Edited by friend'scatdied - 9/16/12 at 6:39am
Audio E-peen
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-5960X ASRock X99E-ITX/ac Unobtainium GPU 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB Corsair H100i Corsair SP120 High-Performance PWM x2 Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM x2 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NF-A9x14 Windows 10 Pro x64 Dell U2715H Logitech G710+ 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone SX600-G NCASE M1 v4 Logitech G700s eVGA GTX 590 Mouse Mat 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Schiit Yggdrasil Unobtainium Amplifier Unobtainium Headphones Cambridge Audio Azur 851A 
AudioAudioOther
Anthony Gallo Acoustics Reference Strada JH Audio JH13 Pro (Custom Silver Cables) Herman Miller Embody 
  hide details  
Reply
Audio E-peen
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-5960X ASRock X99E-ITX/ac Unobtainium GPU 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB Corsair H100i Corsair SP120 High-Performance PWM x2 Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM x2 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NF-A9x14 Windows 10 Pro x64 Dell U2715H Logitech G710+ 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone SX600-G NCASE M1 v4 Logitech G700s eVGA GTX 590 Mouse Mat 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Schiit Yggdrasil Unobtainium Amplifier Unobtainium Headphones Cambridge Audio Azur 851A 
AudioAudioOther
Anthony Gallo Acoustics Reference Strada JH Audio JH13 Pro (Custom Silver Cables) Herman Miller Embody 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 23
I agree with the above that the 7950 is the better bang-for-the-buck (those prices are amazing btw) but if you plan on adding a 2nd card like you stated before I would go Nvidia. I had a single AMD card and it was the most problem free card but if I have an option of going Crossfire or SLI, SLI wins hands down. The few extra bucks you spend will pay off in that regard.
The Monolith
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-920 D0 @3.9HT  EVGA E760 Classified Zotac GTX 670 3x4Gb Mushkin  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Samsung 830 Samsung F4 2x2Tb LG BluRay/DVDR combo Win7 x64 Pro 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell UltraSharp U3011 Samsung UN55D6500 Logitech G710+ Corsair HX850 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
CoolerMaster ATCS840 custom black Logitech G700, Logitech G600 Kef Q100 Philips Fidelio X2/27 
Other
Lamptron FC5, Vantec USB3 
  hide details  
Reply
The Monolith
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-920 D0 @3.9HT  EVGA E760 Classified Zotac GTX 670 3x4Gb Mushkin  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Samsung 830 Samsung F4 2x2Tb LG BluRay/DVDR combo Win7 x64 Pro 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell UltraSharp U3011 Samsung UN55D6500 Logitech G710+ Corsair HX850 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
CoolerMaster ATCS840 custom black Logitech G700, Logitech G600 Kef Q100 Philips Fidelio X2/27 
Other
Lamptron FC5, Vantec USB3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by friend'scatdied View Post

? The HD 7950 is the clear winner in this generation in terms of bang-for-the-buck, and it offers top-tier performance that is within spitting distance of the GTX 670/680 and HD 7970 for hundreds less.
I would get one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125414
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102989
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127667
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127667
AMD has the better GPGPU capability, but NVIDIA has really monopolized their CUDA framework for compute. However based on these charts I believe the OpenCL support should be there for Radeon cards in Vegas -- and they perform better than the 670 or 680 do at OpenCL compute.
My original though as to why I wanted Nvidia was because of power consumption. But then I realised that this Is a workstation, and the GPU will be idle most of the time... So I guess that throws the power consumption issue straight through the window.

So, If I do go AMD, I'm gonna want a 7970. I know the 7950 is only slightly behind, but I want to be able to add on the 7970 GHz edition BIOS, which I don't think the 7950 is capable of. I ultimately settled on the Sapphire 7970 OC (399.99 at newegg), but some people say it has coil whine. While others say that the coil whine will go away... So I'm really stuck here.
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy1998 View Post

My original though as to why I wanted Nvidia was because of power consumption. But then I realised that this Is a workstation, and the GPU will be idle most of the time... So I guess that throws the power consumption issue straight through the window.
So, If I do go AMD, I'm gonna want a 7970. I know the 7950 is only slightly behind, but I want to be able to add on the 7970 GHz edition BIOS, which I don't think the 7950 is capable of. I ultimately settled on the Sapphire 7970 OC (399.99 at newegg), but some people say it has coil whine. While others say that the coil whine will go away... So I'm really stuck here.

You're free to get the 7970 if you prefer, though good 7950s will match good 7970s in maximum attainable clock speeds while operating at only a 2-5% deficit on a per-clock basis (i.e. 1200MHz 7970 is about 3% faster than a 1200MHz 7950). IMHO, the price difference is too great to justify that 2-5%.

BIOS doesn't make a huge deal since you can overclock and adjust voltages manually.

The Gigabyte Windforce 3X cards seem to be the best bet for PCB quality and thermal performance with a low noise profile.
Audio E-peen
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-5960X ASRock X99E-ITX/ac Unobtainium GPU 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB Corsair H100i Corsair SP120 High-Performance PWM x2 Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM x2 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NF-A9x14 Windows 10 Pro x64 Dell U2715H Logitech G710+ 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone SX600-G NCASE M1 v4 Logitech G700s eVGA GTX 590 Mouse Mat 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Schiit Yggdrasil Unobtainium Amplifier Unobtainium Headphones Cambridge Audio Azur 851A 
AudioAudioOther
Anthony Gallo Acoustics Reference Strada JH Audio JH13 Pro (Custom Silver Cables) Herman Miller Embody 
  hide details  
Reply
Audio E-peen
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-5960X ASRock X99E-ITX/ac Unobtainium GPU 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB Corsair H100i Corsair SP120 High-Performance PWM x2 Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM x2 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NF-A9x14 Windows 10 Pro x64 Dell U2715H Logitech G710+ 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone SX600-G NCASE M1 v4 Logitech G700s eVGA GTX 590 Mouse Mat 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Schiit Yggdrasil Unobtainium Amplifier Unobtainium Headphones Cambridge Audio Azur 851A 
AudioAudioOther
Anthony Gallo Acoustics Reference Strada JH Audio JH13 Pro (Custom Silver Cables) Herman Miller Embody 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Is This 670 Unlocked?