Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Hybrid physics now impossible? [WORKING!]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hybrid physics now impossible? [WORKING!] - Page 2

post #11 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by K62-RIG View Post

pick yourself up a GTS 450 card for physx mate. I used to use one when I had a 5850 (now running SLI'd 570s) and it was a gr8 card for physx. thumb.gif

No monies... College is sucking up all my money. Only reason I got what I did was because I traded with a friend.
post #12 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0thead132 View Post

Uh.... what?
From everything I have read this is BS anyone else?

good thing you disagreed, prepare to learn smile.gif
In a phsyx based benchmark.....

GTX 580 + Dedicated 8600GTS - Performance: 30.3 frames
GTX 580 + No Dedicated Card - Performance: 49.7 frames
GTX 580 + Dedicated GTX 580 - Performance: 57.5 frames
GTX 580 + Dedicated GTX 550 Ti - Performance: 56.6 frames
GTX 580 + Dedicated GTX 560 Ti - Performance: 55.3 frames

So actually it turns out you need at least a 550 Ti (if not a heavily overclocked 460 GTX)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbww3dhzK0M
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
Secondary Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k MSI Z77A-GD65 Gigabyte 780 OC Gigabyte 780 OC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Ripjaw  Samsung F3  Samsung 830  Asus CD-Rom 
CoolingMonitorMonitorPower
Cooler master hyper 212+  Asus  27in 1440p Auria EQ276W 760 Watt Silencer 
Case
Haf 912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k ASRock Z77 Pro4-M 290 XFX DD R9 280X Gigabyte 
GraphicsGraphicsRAMHard Drive
R9 280X MSI Gaming R9 280X Power Cooler Crucial Ballistix  Samsung 830 series 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Black Asus 24x Windows 7 Asus 24in  
MonitorPowerCase
27in 1440p Auria CM 750 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
Secondary Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k MSI Z77A-GD65 Gigabyte 780 OC Gigabyte 780 OC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Ripjaw  Samsung F3  Samsung 830  Asus CD-Rom 
CoolingMonitorMonitorPower
Cooler master hyper 212+  Asus  27in 1440p Auria EQ276W 760 Watt Silencer 
Case
Haf 912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k ASRock Z77 Pro4-M 290 XFX DD R9 280X Gigabyte 
GraphicsGraphicsRAMHard Drive
R9 280X MSI Gaming R9 280X Power Cooler Crucial Ballistix  Samsung 830 series 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Black Asus 24x Windows 7 Asus 24in  
MonitorPowerCase
27in 1440p Auria CM 750 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrossewacker View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0thead132 View Post

Uh.... what?
From everything I have read this is BS anyone else?

good thing you disagreed, prepare to learn smile.gif
In a phsyx based benchmark.....

GTX 580 + Dedicated 8600GTS - Performance: 30.3 frames
GTX 580 + No Dedicated Card - Performance: 49.7 frames
GTX 580 + Dedicated GTX 580 - Performance: 57.5 frames
GTX 580 + Dedicated GTX 550 Ti - Performance: 56.6 frames
GTX 580 + Dedicated GTX 560 Ti - Performance: 55.3 frames

So actually it turns out you need at least a 550 Ti (if not a heavily overclocked 460 GTX)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbww3dhzK0M

Yes but that is with Nvidia cards, if you have no dedicated card doesn't it still process on the card?

So a non-Nvidia card with CPU physx will be worse than a non-Nvidia card with Cuda physx with a dedicated card right?
post #14 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0thead132 View Post

Yes but that is with Nvidia cards, if you have no dedicated card doesn't it still process on the card?
So a non-Nvidia card with CPU physx will be worse than a non-Nvidia card with Cuda physx with a dedicated card right?

Can't compare those two considering Phsyx adds a whole layer of effects on top of the game that would otherwise not exist. The CPU physx might be like ragdoll physx for dead bodies, or letting a can roll down a hill after shooting it. Adding physx however will add millions of particles to the scene and simulate it all on the Phsyx. Take out the nvidia physx card, you lose the particles.
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
Secondary Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k MSI Z77A-GD65 Gigabyte 780 OC Gigabyte 780 OC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Ripjaw  Samsung F3  Samsung 830  Asus CD-Rom 
CoolingMonitorMonitorPower
Cooler master hyper 212+  Asus  27in 1440p Auria EQ276W 760 Watt Silencer 
Case
Haf 912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k ASRock Z77 Pro4-M 290 XFX DD R9 280X Gigabyte 
GraphicsGraphicsRAMHard Drive
R9 280X MSI Gaming R9 280X Power Cooler Crucial Ballistix  Samsung 830 series 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Black Asus 24x Windows 7 Asus 24in  
MonitorPowerCase
27in 1440p Auria CM 750 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
Secondary Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k MSI Z77A-GD65 Gigabyte 780 OC Gigabyte 780 OC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Ripjaw  Samsung F3  Samsung 830  Asus CD-Rom 
CoolingMonitorMonitorPower
Cooler master hyper 212+  Asus  27in 1440p Auria EQ276W 760 Watt Silencer 
Case
Haf 912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k ASRock Z77 Pro4-M 290 XFX DD R9 280X Gigabyte 
GraphicsGraphicsRAMHard Drive
R9 280X MSI Gaming R9 280X Power Cooler Crucial Ballistix  Samsung 830 series 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Black Asus 24x Windows 7 Asus 24in  
MonitorPowerCase
27in 1440p Auria CM 750 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 49
Yes i had PhysX working with a Radeon 6970 and Geforce GTX 260 a year ago - not really worth it for the one game that supported it. I suppose it would be ok if you did other PhysX apps, and i think the only good game that supports it recently is Batman Arkham City (which needs a 460 or better)
post #16 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrossewacker View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0thead132 View Post

Yes but that is with Nvidia cards, if you have no dedicated card doesn't it still process on the card?
So a non-Nvidia card with CPU physx will be worse than a non-Nvidia card with Cuda physx with a dedicated card right?

Can't compare those two considering Phsyx adds a whole layer of effects on top of the game that would otherwise not exist. The CPU physx might be like ragdoll physx for dead bodies, or letting a can roll down a hill after shooting it. Adding physx however will add millions of particles to the scene and simulate it all on the Phsyx. Take out the nvidia physx card, you lose the particles.

Yes you can compare those two, in some games they are the same just processed in a different area...

Yes I understand the difference between a physics engine and nvidia physx


Now that we are sufficiently off track...

I don't care what it will or won't do I just want my physx processing done on this second card. Everything I have tried won't let me and I would like it to work.

I don't care if it will give me more performance or not, I don't care if the card I have isn't up to your standards... I just want it to work

/endrant
Edited by h0thead132 - 9/17/12 at 9:38am
post #17 of 49
Check the requirements for Borderlands 2 - your 9800GT might not be enough (the game will detect this and will fall back to software PhysX and cripple your performance). For example Batman Arkham City *NEEDS* a 460 or better, my GTX 260 did not work at all (while it worked with Batman Arkham Asylum)

Even then - newer 7xxx series Radeons might not even work with the hacked PhysX drivers. http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/17706-hybrid-physx-mod-v1-03-v1-05ff.html

It looks like modded PhysX drivers are frozen right now, and the last working drivers were last year. So if Borderlands 2 checks for the version of physx installed - it probably wont work.

If you REALLY want PhysX working - sell your 7970 for a geforce 670/680, if you want dedicated - ya gonna need 2xgeforce and probably a 460 at least.
Edited by jerrolds - 9/17/12 at 10:16am
post #18 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrolds View Post

Check the requirements for Borderlands 2 - your 9800GT might not be enough (the game will detect this and will fall back to software PhysX and cripple your performance). For example Batman Arkham City *NEEDS* a 460 or better, my GTX 260 did not work at all (while it worked with Batman Arkham Asylum)

Even then - newer 7xxx series Radeons might not even work with the hacked PhysX drivers. http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/17706-hybrid-physx-mod-v1-03-v1-05ff.html

It looks like modded PhysX drivers are frozen right now, and the last working drivers were last year. So if Borderlands 2 checks for the version of physx installed - it probably wont work.

If you REALLY want PhysX working - sell your 7970 for a geforce 670/680, if you want dedicated - ya gonna need 2xgeforce and probably a 460 at least.

Yea, as I keep digging into this it looks like once I get some money together I will be going over to the green side of things over all.

Just did a test for S&G

In Mirror's Edge (second or third area going through an office building and they are shooting out the glass) with physx on a 9800GT does double the FPS of a 7870...
post #19 of 49
I think you're over valuing PhysX in games, but to each their own. In most games the 7970 will beat out a 670 and even a 680. Add in overclocking to that....

But i know what you mean, PhysX adds a depth to the game that uses it correctly (Batman AC)
post #20 of 49
It still works, and if you OC the 9800GT it should be enough. I'm using one with my OC'd 6870.
The process is a little more involved now.
http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/22136-how-to-fix-hybrid-physx-with-latest-physx-and-geforce-285-solved.html
Primary
(16 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9450 Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Powercolor PCS+ HD7870 Myst 4x 2GB G.skill DDR2 1100 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB WD Velociraptor 300GB Caviar Green 500GB LG 24x Super-Multi 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Thermalright Venomous-X RT Win 7 Home Premium x64 ASUS VH222H Corsair HX650 
CaseMouseAudio
Corsair 600T SE White Cyborg R.A.T. 7 AKG K 702 
  hide details  
Reply
Primary
(16 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9450 Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Powercolor PCS+ HD7870 Myst 4x 2GB G.skill DDR2 1100 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB WD Velociraptor 300GB Caviar Green 500GB LG 24x Super-Multi 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Thermalright Venomous-X RT Win 7 Home Premium x64 ASUS VH222H Corsair HX650 
CaseMouseAudio
Corsair 600T SE White Cyborg R.A.T. 7 AKG K 702 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Hybrid physics now impossible? [WORKING!]