Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › OK so here we go>>> two hard drives linux/win7
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OK so here we go>>> two hard drives linux/win7

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I have a 2nd drive 500g so I am going to install the linux mint Cinnamon distro on it ..This what i plan to do unplug the HD with with win7 on it and just do a full install of mint on the 2nd drive
then plug back in the first drive .. Now do i just need to set in bios what drive boots first and all should be good so I can have dual boot ?
thank for and help thumb.gif
post #2 of 11
Install Mint on your second drive, and grub should detect the first drive with Windows on it so you don't have to switch which to boot at the bios. Makes for less headache.
post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
ok I made the install of maya and not Cinnamon i down loaded the wrong one biggrin.gif but all is good
for now I just f8 when i boot up and pick what drive i want .If I don't hit f8 it just boots to linux thumb.gif .
So now the fun stats getting the look i want and play around with all the software .Ohh one more thing dang the updates download fast and install
on linux the slowest i download was 1700kb/s and was almost always at 2600kb/s ...421 updates went real fast .Try to post back tonight with a update
ty for the help
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmos View Post

ok I made the install of maya and not Cinnamon i down loaded the wrong one biggrin.gif but all is good
for now I just f8 when i boot up and pick what drive i want .If I don't hit f8 it just boots to linux thumb.gif .
So now the fun stats getting the look i want and play around with all the software .Ohh one more thing dang the updates download fast and install
on linux the slowest i download was 1700kb/s and was almost always at 2600kb/s ...421 updates went real fast .Try to post back tonight with a update
ty for the help

damm! the best I get is 500kb/s (i'm on wifi) still, for me the biggest thing that linux has on windows is package managers. installing, removing and upgrading or just so simpler, easyer, and safer.
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
So far so good its all been going slow with getting my desk top to look right and find the right theme and learn to install it ..Been looking for hw monitor gadgets for temps and stuff also .yes i have good net so that helps a lots
post #6 of 11
Themes can be installed ( extracting the archive ) locally to your " ~/.themes/ " folder, or system wide under the " /usr/share/themes/ " folder.

As for system monitors, check out Conky. Plenty of configs on DeviantArt and Conky Pitstop.
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post

Themes can be installed ( extracting the archive ) locally to your " ~/.themes/ " folder, or system wide under the " /usr/share/themes/ " folder.

As for system monitors, check out Conky. Plenty of configs on DeviantArt and Conky Pitstop.

conky is by far the most addicting and time consuming program for me. funny thing is, I don't change much, I just sit there and add things, decide thay suck, remove them, and stare at it for a little bit hoping something comes to mind!

example

this Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Code:
background yes
use_xft yes
xftfont Sans:size=8
xftalpha 1
update_interval 1.0
total_run_times 0
own_window yes
own_window_transparent no
own_window_type desktop
own_window_hints undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager
own_window_argb_visual
own_window_argb_value 80
double_buffer yes
minimum_size 100 100
maximum_width 200
draw_shades yes
draw_outline no
draw_borders no
draw_graph_borders yes
default_color white
default_shade_color black
default_outline_color white
alignment top_left
gap_x 12
gap_y 37
no_buffers yes
uppercase no
cpu_avg_samples 2
override_utf8_locale no

TEXT
${font sans-serif:bold:size=8:}SYSTEM ${hr 2}
${font sans-serif:normal:size=8}Type:$alignr$machine
Speed:$alignr${freq_g}GHz
OS:$alignr${pre_exec uname -o}
Kernel$alignr$kernel
Host:$alignr$nodename
Uptime:$alignr$uptime
File System: $alignr${fs_type}
User(s):$alignr${pre_exec whoami}

${font sans-serif:bold:size=8}PROCESSORS ${hr 2}${font sans-serif:normal:size=8}
CPU0: ${cpu cpu0}% ${cpubar cpu0}
CPU1: ${cpu cpu1}% ${cpubar cpu1}
CPU2: ${cpu cpu2}% ${cpubar cpu2}

${font sans-serif:bold:size=8}MEMORY ${hr 2}
${font sans-serif:normal:size=8}RAM $alignc $mem / $memmax $alignr $memperc%
$membar

# ${font sans-serif:bold:size=8}FOLDING AT HOME ${hr 2}${font # sans-serif:normal:size=8}
# Work Unit:                            ${execi 15 cat /var/ # lib/fahclient/log.txt | tr '(' '\n' |tr ')' '\n' | grep -E "(%|percent)"|
# tail -n 1 | tr -d 'percent' | tr -d '%'} % 
# ${execibar 15 cat /var/lib/fahclient/log.txt | tr '(' '\n' |tr ')' '\n' | # grep -E "(%|percent)"|tail -n 1 | tr -d 'percent' | tr -d '%'} 
${font sans-serif:bold:size=8}DISKS ${hr 2} 
${font sans-serif:normal:size=8}/ $alignc ${fs_used /} / ${fs_size /} $alignr${fs_used_perc /}%
${fs_bar /}
/home $alignc ${fs_used /home} / ${fs_size /home} $alignr${fs_used_perc /home}%
${fs_bar /home}

Disk IO:$alignr${diskio}
${diskiograph}

${font sans-serif:bold:size=8}PROCESSES ${hr 2}
${font sans-serif:normal:size=8}1.${top_mem name 1}${alignr}${top mem 1} %
2.${top_mem name 2}${alignr}${top mem 2} %
3.$font${top_mem name 3}${alignr}${top mem 3} %
4.$font${top_mem name 4}${alignr}${top mem 4} %
5.$font${top_mem name 5}${alignr}${top mem 5} %

${font sans-serif:bold:size=8}DATE ${hr 2}
${alignc 35}${font Arial Black:size=26}${time %H:%M}${font}
${alignc}${time %A %d %B}

${font sans-serif:bold:size=8}NETWORK ${hr 2}
${font sans-serif:normal:size=8}IP address:$alignr${addr wlan0}
#IF USING WIRELESS CHANGE eth0 to wlan0
ESSID: $alignr ${wireless_essid wlan0}
Connection Quality: $alignr ${wireless_link_qual_perc wlan0}%

Upload:$alignr${upspeed wlan0}
${upspeedgraph wlan0}
Download:$alignr${downspeed wlan0}
${downspeedgraph wlan0}

code in a simple .conkrc file in your home folder will give this: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

changing anything in the file changes the readout, which is printed right to the desktop Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
well I did not like mint to much ..it really felt weird to me so I downloaded SabayonX KDE x64 and seems to be alot better for me very smooth out of the box.
I hope in a few months i can get around linux at a good pace .
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmos View Post

well I did not like mint to much ..it really felt weird to me so I downloaded SabayonX KDE x64 and seems to be alot better for me very smooth out of the box.
I hope in a few months i can get around linux at a good pace .

since you already switched there's no point, but for the future it is important to understand in linux the gui/de is not ingratiated onto the rest of the system and can be swapped/added at will. next time, just install kde (apt-get install kde4-plama-desktop or whatever the package is called) and select kde at next login. no need to reinstall.
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrl1357 View Post

since you already switched there's no point, but for the future it is important to understand in linux the gui/de is not ingratiated onto the rest of the system and can be swapped/added at will. next time, just install kde (apt-get install kde4-plama-desktop or whatever the package is called) and select kde at next login. no need to reinstall.

Beat me to it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Linux, Unix
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › OK so here we go>>> two hard drives linux/win7