Update #2: Build in progress
Okay, sorry for not posting an update for a few days. I was a bit busy with some other things. Anyways... I've got a few crappy cell phone photos!
So on Tuesday, September 18Th, I got my Fractal Design Arc Mini:
As you can see, it's much smaller than my Corsair 800D. In fact, it's so small, it almost fits inside the 800D. A big change for me, I know!
At this point I had a case, but not much else to put inside of it other than some boring hard drives, ssds, and a PSU.
However, Wednesday and Thursday came this week, and I got my Asus Maximus V Gene and XFX HD7950 Double Dissipation Edition!
I got a great deal on the Maximus V Gene, open box from Newegg for $140. It came with everything, plus several extra SATA cables from a different motherboard. Which I was okay with, honestly, I'd rather have more stuff that less.
Alright, one to installation. I still don't have everything that I need for the build, but I now have a basic functioning system.
That's my daughter, she was helping me by holding onto the screws while I put the motherboard inside the case
There's one thing I have to say about mATX after this build.... it's cramped. There was one thing that saved me a bit of a headache though:
This nifty little thing saved me from the "small cables hell" at the end of the build. I pulled them all out of the case, plugged them into this extender, and then plugged the extender into the motherboard in one, swift motion. It's something small, but it saved me a well-known headache at the end of the build.
So far, I'm happy with this rebuild. The case is amazing, I have a new video card, and my work space has a few more free inches due to the smaller footprint.
I'M FAR FROM DONE!
I have a couple of mods planned for this case, which will be posted here in the next few weeks. I also have to purchase a new integrated WC loop; either thermaltake or corsair.
I'm already working on mod #1: sectioning off the lower part of the case. This is a feature mATX cases just don't have, and one that I missed from my 800D. I like to hide my cables in the lower part to keep things tidy. So I'm taking a piece of acrylic, molding it, and painting it black. I started tonight. I'll admit, I'm a n00b at acrylic molding, but it's working out pretty good so far and shouldn't look too ghetto when finished.
Until next time! Thanks for reading!