Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Upgrade/Sidegrade/Downgrade... Which CPU to go for??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Upgrade/Sidegrade/Downgrade... Which CPU to go for?? - Page 5

post #41 of 57
Thread Starter 
I suppose I may just leave my setup, probably just itching to upgrade to the latest and greatest of AMDs products.

That said, there has been a lot of releases by ASUS for my motherboard, so maybe it'll get a slightly more stable OC. I managed 1.404 vcore at 4.2Ghz, which is very good because the BIOS revision before was unstable at those settings.

Also, I suppose I am a bit gutted like we all were knowing the FX wasn't true core. So that what appeals to me about going back to a Phenom, is that I know I have true cores running at those speeds, not just a core running 2 threads at those speeds if that makes sense.
post #42 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo01 View Post

I suppose I may just leave my setup, probably just itching to upgrade to the latest and greatest of AMDs products.
That said, there has been a lot of releases by ASUS for my motherboard, so maybe it'll get a slightly more stable OC. I managed 1.404 vcore at 4.2Ghz, which is very good because the BIOS revision before was unstable at those settings.
Also, I suppose I am a bit gutted like we all were knowing the FX wasn't true core. So that what appeals to me about going back to a Phenom, is that I know I have true cores running at those speeds, not just a core running 2 threads at those speeds if that makes sense.

What is your actual issue with your cpu? gaming? tasks? or the placebo effect of speed improvements? I pay mainly bf3 with a mix of other games thrown in. Bf3 multiplayer is pretty cpu intensive and i run 2x gpu. In the most intense battles my gpu utilisation can drop into the low 80s but my frames never drop below 70, in fact i avg anywhere from 90 to 150. Now my point is that i play at 1080p resolution so even though the cpu is lacking maybe in ipc (instructions per core) in comparison to the phenom or the i5/i7, at that resolution its an almost pointless comparison with the frames i can produce. Its wholly relative to the games you play. You would benefit greatly from a gpu upgrade as your cpu, clocked properly would not be the issue with a single or even sli/crossfire mid-high- to high end gpu at 1080p. If you was posting for help to purchase a new build rig then intel would be the logical choice for gaming if the budget allowed, but to swap your set up now for an intel or even the new vishera range, without a really good reason would be pointless. Even an intel die-hard would struggle to justify the platform change based purely on performance

Edit - regards bios yes updating will probably help your oc efforts. As a result of flashing my own last week i need less llc and vcore to achieve the same clocks than before.
Edited by Ghost12 - 10/25/12 at 12:15pm
post #43 of 57
Thread Starter 
Yeah true, thanks for pushing me away from this idea, would of been a waste of money your right.
I suppose it is just the thought of a speed improvement.

I will probably want to upgrade my monitor more likely, mind I only even run at 1440x900. HD 7850s are very cheap over here now, same price as when the HD 6850s were. So I may get one of those in future if I upgrade my monitor.

Notice any difference between VGA and HDMI? I obviously use a DVI adapter which is a pain because I feel the quality is effected somewhat. For example some text has a "ghost" effect to the side, and wobbling the cable moves it.

BF3 looks amazing on my monitor though, I can max everything including AA. My old HD 5830 went on me, so I thought a HD 6850 would do. It does nicely.

What you think the best gaming experience is? My monitor is 17" (used to be 15" redface.gif)

UPDATE:
Yeah went from 1503 to 1603 BIOS revision, and nicely I got my vcore from 1.404 to 1.368/1.380 with a VID decrease. That is at 4.2Ghz. Should be able to squeeze in 4.3Ghz/4.4Ghz if I try. Nice result tongue.gif shows this board is capable. VRMs are cooler as well, by a lot.
post #44 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo01 View Post

Yeah true, thanks for pushing me away from this idea, would of been a waste of money your right.
I suppose it is just the thought of a speed improvement.
I will probably want to upgrade my monitor more likely, mind I only even run at 1440x900. HD 7850s are very cheap over here now, same price as when the HD 6850s were. So I may get one of those in future if I upgrade my monitor.
Notice any difference between VGA and HDMI? I obviously use a DVI adapter which is a pain because I feel the quality is effected somewhat. For example some text has a "ghost" effect to the side, and wobbling the cable moves it.
BF3 looks amazing on my monitor though, I can max everything including AA. My old HD 5830 went on me, so I thought a HD 6850 would do. It does nicely.
What you think the best gaming experience is? My monitor is 17" (used to be 15" redface.gif)
UPDATE:
Yeah went from 1503 to 1603 BIOS revision, and nicely I got my vcore from 1.404 to 1.368/1.380 with a VID decrease. That is at 4.2Ghz. Should be able to squeeze in 4.3Ghz/4.4Ghz if I try. Nice result tongue.gif shows this board is capable. VRMs are cooler as well, by a lot.

yes the hd 7850 are a great price at the minute. Overclockers get good deals. Always check ccl prices thought I get a lot from there and can be a lot cheaper. Your low resolution will not help your bulldozer. The lower the resolution the more work the cpu does to a certain point. Get a 1920 x 1080p and a 7850 and your set up will change dramatically for the better.
post #45 of 57
Thread Starter 
Yeah I have bought stuff from CCL, their prices are usually pretty good. Never bought from overclockers though, I usually buy from Scan tongue.gif

I have noticed monitor prices have dropped by quite a lot. £79 for lowest priced 21.5" 1080p monitor, 5ms but has DVI. Not actually that bad.

Is there any real noticeable difference between HDMI and DVI?
post #46 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo01 View Post

Yeah I have bought stuff from CCL, their prices are usually pretty good. Never bought from overclockers though, I usually buy from Scan tongue.gif
I have noticed monitor prices have dropped by quite a lot. £79 for lowest priced 21.5" 1080p monitor, 5ms but has DVI. Not actually that bad.
Is there any real noticeable difference between HDMI and DVI?

No difference in picture between hdmi and dvi. The only difference is hdmi carries an audio signal whereas dvi does not and yes 1080p monitors are really cheap now. Get some great bargains in the ccl clearance open box section. I got this 27inch from ccl two months ago. 2ms
post #47 of 57
If you've already got your software side running clean and optimized, are happy with gaming performance, but looking for more perceptible zip in general use, the only direction you have that can do that is an SSD. The 830 series is dirt cheap right now. Get one!
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 990X EVO R2.0 Sparkle GTX460 768MB ballistix tactical 2 x 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Toshiiba THNSNH 256GB Enterprise RE3 1TB Asus BD combo drive Artic A30 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Manjaro Linux Samsung 21.5" LCD E2009WFP E2009WFP 
PowerCase
Seasonic G 550W Modular Fractal Design Core 3500 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-6300, 4.7 GHZ@1.43V GA-970A-UD3P GTX 460 768MB Mixed DIMMs. 2x4GB + 2x8GB @ 1600-8-8-8 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Toshiba THNSNH 19nm 256GB 1TB Spinpoint F3 WD RE3 1TB WD RE3 1TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSOS
yes CM Seidon 120V SolydK OpenSuse 13.1 
OSOSMonitorMonitor
Linux Mint 9-32 bit // Linux Mint 17-64 bit  Manjaro Xfce Samsung 21.5" HannsG 21.5" sideways! 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Sticky ATNG Rosewill Green 630W NZXT Gamma Basic Microsoft corded 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A10-6800k 4.8GHZ @ 1.375V, 1.2GHZ iGPU Gigabyte GA-F2A85XN-WIFI HD8670D Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate ST1000DM003 Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Zalman CNPS5X Linux Mint 15 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG IPS224V-PN Logitec K360 FSP 400W Aurum S 80+ gold Prodigy 
Mouse
logitec M235 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 990X EVO R2.0 Sparkle GTX460 768MB ballistix tactical 2 x 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Toshiiba THNSNH 256GB Enterprise RE3 1TB Asus BD combo drive Artic A30 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Manjaro Linux Samsung 21.5" LCD E2009WFP E2009WFP 
PowerCase
Seasonic G 550W Modular Fractal Design Core 3500 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-6300, 4.7 GHZ@1.43V GA-970A-UD3P GTX 460 768MB Mixed DIMMs. 2x4GB + 2x8GB @ 1600-8-8-8 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Toshiba THNSNH 19nm 256GB 1TB Spinpoint F3 WD RE3 1TB WD RE3 1TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSOS
yes CM Seidon 120V SolydK OpenSuse 13.1 
OSOSMonitorMonitor
Linux Mint 9-32 bit // Linux Mint 17-64 bit  Manjaro Xfce Samsung 21.5" HannsG 21.5" sideways! 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Sticky ATNG Rosewill Green 630W NZXT Gamma Basic Microsoft corded 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A10-6800k 4.8GHZ @ 1.375V, 1.2GHZ iGPU Gigabyte GA-F2A85XN-WIFI HD8670D Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate ST1000DM003 Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Zalman CNPS5X Linux Mint 15 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG IPS224V-PN Logitec K360 FSP 400W Aurum S 80+ gold Prodigy 
Mouse
logitec M235 
  hide details  
Reply
post #48 of 57
I agree with mdocod 100%. An ssd is probably the best upgrade you could make hardware wise regarding speeding up your rig. I have a 120gb ocz just for my os and when money allows I wish to purchase a faster one at probably 256gb to 500gb for my game libraries. Amazing performance upgrade when considering the prices falling all the time
post #49 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo01 View Post

So as most AMD fans, I went out and bought everything ready for Bulldozer intending to overclock it. It failed miserably.
I have the FX-6100.
My question really is, is it worth changing it for pure performance. I am looking to overclocking the CPU to get the best performance out of single threaded and also multi-threaded (gaming). So in other words speedy for everyday use and good for gaming to not bottleneck my HD 6850.
I don't know whether its my chip that can't overclock high. My board was RMAed last month, so this is a new board and cannot overclock the chip higher, so I assume its just an unlucky chip.
I don't really want to push voltages too much so my chip downgrades either.
So basically:
Phenom II x4
Phenom II x6
FX-4100
FX-6100 (swap mine for another one)
FX-8120
Which do you guys think I should get. I will be overclocking it to the maximum while staying in the safe limits of voltages.
Also thinking about price, I have a board capable of overclocking, but want to know if choosing one CPU over the other is a waste of money.
Gaming is the only multi-threaded I use.
i have a phenom x4 965 which is overclocked at 4 ghz, i run an amd 6850 too and they work brilliantly together,
plus the phenom chips hand single threaded applications so much better than te new bulldozer and have 4 real cores
AMD Money Pit
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardRAMRAM
AMD Athlon X2 5000+  Asrock N61P-S Samsung 512MB DDR2 Samsung 512MB DDR2 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Seagate 80GB SATA Cooler Master Phenom II Stock Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell Slim 160 Watt 
Case
XBOX Original Casing 
  hide details  
Reply
AMD Money Pit
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardRAMRAM
AMD Athlon X2 5000+  Asrock N61P-S Samsung 512MB DDR2 Samsung 512MB DDR2 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Seagate 80GB SATA Cooler Master Phenom II Stock Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell Slim 160 Watt 
Case
XBOX Original Casing 
  hide details  
Reply
post #50 of 57
Thread Starter 
Thanks, some nice monitors in the CCL clearance. Cheap prices too! I will more than likely go for DVI if the price is cheaper. I used to game BFDC2 at 1080p on my down stairs TV, that was amazing tongue.gif

Also, anyone know what doubling up a TV and monitor is like? I know it looks blotchy close up but depends how close up I suppose? Just for convenience sake I suppose.

Yeah I know an SSD will speed things up, but I am not sure on their reliability at the moment, they're quite new technology. I will probably wait till the prices fall more. I would only be using the SSD for a boot drive and some games.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Upgrade/Sidegrade/Downgrade... Which CPU to go for??