Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Poor performance on quad sli in borderlands 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Poor performance on quad sli in borderlands 2 - Page 6

post #51 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkalra View Post

Tried. Makes no difference whatsoever. Even installed the latest physx driver separately - still no difference. They are busy doling out DLCs but aren't getting the base game to run any better.

i just got 2 gtx 680 right now, and i'm running the game fine with the 306.97WHQL driver in sli. do u have vsync on
AWESOME SYSTEM
(16 items)
 
  
MotherboardGraphicsGraphicsRAM
ASRock Z170 OC Formula Waiting For GTX 1080Ti Waiting For GTX 1080Ti 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z DDR4 4000Mhz 17-17-17-37... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Samsung 840 Pro 128GB Corsair H105 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit 
MonitorPowerCase
AOC U2879VF 28" FreeSync 4K LED Monitor  Lepa 1600W G-Series  Corsair Carbide Air 540 Case 
  hide details  
Reply
AWESOME SYSTEM
(16 items)
 
  
MotherboardGraphicsGraphicsRAM
ASRock Z170 OC Formula Waiting For GTX 1080Ti Waiting For GTX 1080Ti 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z DDR4 4000Mhz 17-17-17-37... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Samsung 840 Pro 128GB Corsair H105 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit 
MonitorPowerCase
AOC U2879VF 28" FreeSync 4K LED Monitor  Lepa 1600W G-Series  Corsair Carbide Air 540 Case 
  hide details  
Reply
post #52 of 64
For me this game has a case of the Skyrim's ... before Skyrim got the CPU optimization patches a few months after launch.

By this I mean there are specific areas, regardless of what's going on in terms of enemies/battles, that always exhibit low fps and low gpu usage.

Oddly, just like in Skyrim, those spots also correspond to LOWER than typical CPU usage, rather than higher. Which threw me off a little at first with Skyrim ... one might logically assume that lower CPU usage in these troublesome spots would mean the problem WASN'T a CPU bottleneck.

But yet in Skyrim it was easily demonstrated that OC'ing the CPU would boost the FPS at a damn near 1:1 ratio ... indicating a clear CPU BN (just another example of why you should never use CPU usage to determine if your CPU is limiting your FPS). I've been meaning to do some tests to see if the same holds true for BL2 in the troublesome areas of the game thinking.gif

Also like with Skyrim, in all of these spots, the low fps/low usage problem is only when looking in certain directions ... if I turn around and look at a wall, my FPS and CPU usage both go back up, and GPU usage stays about the same.

So literally the symptoms I just described that I have in this game are 100% identical to the way that Skyrim originally behaved (which made me start this thread so many months ago) ... methinks Gearbox skimped on the CPU optimizations ... just like Bethesda did ... in order to meet a deadline. And because consoles are so much more important to them frown.gif
Edited by brettjv - 10/17/12 at 2:15am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #53 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjv View Post

For me this game has a case of the Skyrim's ... before Skyrim got the CPU optimization patches a few months after launch.
By this I mean there are specific areas, regardless of what's going on in terms of enemies/battles, that always exhibit low fps and low gpu usage.
Oddly, just like in Skyrim, those spots also correspond to LOWER than typical CPU usage, rather than higher. Which threw me off a little at first with Skyrim ... one might logically assume that lower CPU usage in these troublesome spots would mean the problem WASN'T a CPU bottleneck.
But yet in Skyrim it was easily demonstrated that OC'ing the CPU would boost the FPS at a damn near 1:1 ratio ... indicating a clear CPU BN (just another example of why you should never use CPU usage to determine if your CPU is limiting your FPS). I've been meaning to do some tests to see if the same holds true for BL2 in the troublesome areas of the game thinking.gif
Also like with Skyrim, in all of these spots, the low fps/low usage problem is only when looking in certain directions ... if I turn around and look at a wall, my FPS and CPU usage both go back up, and GPU usage stays about the same.
So literally the symptoms I just described that I have in this game are 100% identical to the way that Skyrim originally behaved (which made me start this thread so many months ago) ... methinks Gearbox skimped on the CPU optimizations ... just like Bethesda did ... in order to meet a deadline. And because consoles are so much more important to them frown.gif
Agreed. I just wish they somehow fix this the way skyrim was fixed. And soon.
post #54 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkalra View Post

Agreed. I just wish they somehow fix this the way skyrim was fixed. And soon.

Me too. In the meanwhile though I played for a bit last night with physX on Medium ... didn't notice much difference in terms of the quality of effects (there certainly wasn't anything entirely missing vs. playing on High), and it seemed like the low fps/low usage issue was less pronounced.

It's kinda hard to be sure though cause I was hosting a 4-player co-op last night so I was getting slowdowns due to the huge amount of 'stuff' going on all the time. I'm going to try it again tonight in SP in some of the places where I know I normally see this issue so I can compare apples-to-apples.

I have a suspicion that the physX in BL2 might still utilize the CPU quite a bit ... and not be coded very efficiently.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #55 of 64
I too am enraged that Gearbox has chosen to continue working on DLC instead of writing better drivers. This is a pretty poor way to treat 1 customer.
Cen2
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i3-4130 ASUS Z87M-Plus CT2KIT51264BA1339 WD5000AAKX  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WD30000FYYZ WD30000FYYZ WD30000FYYZ WH14NS40 
CoolingOSPowerCase
RR-B10-212P-G1 FQC-06950 SSR-450RM Fractal Define Mini 
  hide details  
Reply
Cen2
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i3-4130 ASUS Z87M-Plus CT2KIT51264BA1339 WD5000AAKX  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WD30000FYYZ WD30000FYYZ WD30000FYYZ WH14NS40 
CoolingOSPowerCase
RR-B10-212P-G1 FQC-06950 SSR-450RM Fractal Define Mini 
  hide details  
Reply
post #56 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjv View Post

Me too. In the meanwhile though I played for a bit last night with physX on Medium ... didn't notice much difference in terms of the quality of effects (there certainly wasn't anything entirely missing vs. playing on High), and it seemed like the low fps/low usage issue was less pronounced.
It's kinda hard to be sure though cause I was hosting a 4-player co-op last night so I was getting slowdowns due to the huge amount of 'stuff' going on all the time. I'm going to try it again tonight in SP in some of the places where I know I normally see this issue so I can compare apples-to-apples.
I have a suspicion that the physX in BL2 might still utilize the CPU quite a bit ... and not be coded very efficiently.
I agree. I think physx is definitely one of the culprits along with just laziness. I mean the game simply does not scale. It maintains the exact same fps with 1,2,3 or 4 cards. If only they would fix the game rather than doling out DLCs.
post #57 of 64
So I played for a couple hours last night w/PhysX on Medium, in SP mode, and I don't think I ever saw FPS dip below 60, which it does all the time w/it on High, so ... sad as it is to have to do something like that, a suggest you give that a try.

I think if that change turns out to fix this issue for you, even though you've tried running physX on a dedicated 680 card, then it definitely suggests to me that some of the physX must run on the CPU, cause obviously a dedicated 680 should have way more than enough power to run the physX w/o slowing down the system.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #58 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjv View Post

So I played for a couple hours last night w/PhysX on Medium, in SP mode, and I don't think I ever saw FPS dip below 60, which it does all the time w/it on High, so ... sad as it is to have to do something like that, a suggest you give that a try.
I think if that change turns out to fix this issue for you, even though you've tried running physX on a dedicated 680 card, then it definitely suggests to me that some of the physX must run on the CPU, cause obviously a dedicated 680 should have way more than enough power to run the physX w/o slowing down the system.
Will try it out. But did you find a big difference in the physx effects on medium vs high?
post #59 of 64
Your system isn't going to work well @ 1080p mate, your GPU's are seriously underwhelmed. You need way above 1080p to see any major GPU utilization and FPS to match.
 
X79 Build
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6950X @ 4.0Ghz Asus Rampage V Extreme [Bios:3101] 2x EVGA GeForce Titan X SC Editions in SLI 32GB (4×8) Corsair Dominator Platinums (3000Mhz) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 Nvme 2x 256GB Vertex 4 SSD (RAID-0) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda [Storage] Pioneer BDR-207DBK Blu-ray Writer 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Corsair H105 (Push/Pull) Windows 10 Pro x64 2x 27" Asus PG278Q ROG Swift 144hz  Corsair AX1500i Digital ATX 80 Plus Titanium 
CaseAudio
Lian Li PC-O8WX ATX Cube Case Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3930K (C2) @ (4.6Ghz) Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Bios 3204) 3x EVGA GTX780Ti's SC Editions 32GB (4x8GB) G-Skill TridentX 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 256GB OCZ Vertex 4's (RAID-0) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 64MB Cache Pioneer BDR-207DBK Blu-ray Writer Corsair H105 (Push/Pull) 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win7 Pro 64Bit & Win10 Pro 64Bit Asus ROG Swift (2560x1440 @144hz) Corsair AX1200 + Corsair RED sleeved cables Coolermaster Cosmos II Ultra 
  hide details  
Reply
 
X79 Build
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6950X @ 4.0Ghz Asus Rampage V Extreme [Bios:3101] 2x EVGA GeForce Titan X SC Editions in SLI 32GB (4×8) Corsair Dominator Platinums (3000Mhz) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 Nvme 2x 256GB Vertex 4 SSD (RAID-0) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda [Storage] Pioneer BDR-207DBK Blu-ray Writer 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Corsair H105 (Push/Pull) Windows 10 Pro x64 2x 27" Asus PG278Q ROG Swift 144hz  Corsair AX1500i Digital ATX 80 Plus Titanium 
CaseAudio
Lian Li PC-O8WX ATX Cube Case Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3930K (C2) @ (4.6Ghz) Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Bios 3204) 3x EVGA GTX780Ti's SC Editions 32GB (4x8GB) G-Skill TridentX 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 256GB OCZ Vertex 4's (RAID-0) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 64MB Cache Pioneer BDR-207DBK Blu-ray Writer Corsair H105 (Push/Pull) 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win7 Pro 64Bit & Win10 Pro 64Bit Asus ROG Swift (2560x1440 @144hz) Corsair AX1200 + Corsair RED sleeved cables Coolermaster Cosmos II Ultra 
  hide details  
Reply
post #60 of 64
Why so much gpu for 1080? Get a 2560x1440 monitor and actually use some of that power.
SBD:
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k Gigabyte ga-z77x-up4 tb EVGA GTX 980 SC 32GB G.SKILL Trident X F3-1600C7Q-32GTX  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD Western Digtal 2TB RE4 Plextor 24x DL Burner ThermalTake Water 2.0 Extreme 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Acer XB270HU 2560x1440, IPS-type panel, 144hz, ... EIZO FG2421 1920x1080 VA 120Hz QuickFire Cherry Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Lepa G1000 1kw Corsair 550D Logitech G400 Roccat Taito 
AudioAudio
Xonar Essence ST Niles SI-275 Amplifier 
  hide details  
Reply
SBD:
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k Gigabyte ga-z77x-up4 tb EVGA GTX 980 SC 32GB G.SKILL Trident X F3-1600C7Q-32GTX  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD Western Digtal 2TB RE4 Plextor 24x DL Burner ThermalTake Water 2.0 Extreme 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Acer XB270HU 2560x1440, IPS-type panel, 144hz, ... EIZO FG2421 1920x1080 VA 120Hz QuickFire Cherry Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Lepa G1000 1kw Corsair 550D Logitech G400 Roccat Taito 
AudioAudio
Xonar Essence ST Niles SI-275 Amplifier 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Poor performance on quad sli in borderlands 2