Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [GSM]Apple iPhone 5 aluminum shell plagued by chipping issues
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[GSM]Apple iPhone 5 aluminum shell plagued by chipping issues - Page 21

post #201 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomTaco View Post

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/reported-design-flaws-hit-htc-one-s-and-one-x-handsets-1075640

Reported design flaws hit HTC One S and One X handsets
Complaints of bendy screen and chipping paint job mar Android handset launches

Where's our massive thread ripping htc a new one for this one?

Bro, it was on page 10 rolleyes.gifWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by von rottes View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajile View Post


You could call me a HTC fanboy...and the one S's coating is sexy....but
http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/11/2940608/htc-one-s-micro-arc-oxidation-scratch-crack-chip
Princess Luna
(13 items)
 
Trixie
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8320 Gigabyte GA-970a-UD3 HD 6870 kingston hyperX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Kingston HyperX 3k Western digital Caviar blue Antec Kuhler 620 Windows 8.1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP W1907 Logitech mk520 Corsair CX750M Cooler master HAF 912 
Mouse
Logitech m310 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6700 Asus P5G41T-M LX MSI 5450 kingston hyperX 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital IDE rosewill rcx-z2 Windows 8 Gateway LE500 
PowerCaseMouse
Power something 335.5watt In-win IW-V605T2 Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
Princess Luna
(13 items)
 
Trixie
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8320 Gigabyte GA-970a-UD3 HD 6870 kingston hyperX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Kingston HyperX 3k Western digital Caviar blue Antec Kuhler 620 Windows 8.1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP W1907 Logitech mk520 Corsair CX750M Cooler master HAF 912 
Mouse
Logitech m310 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6700 Asus P5G41T-M LX MSI 5450 kingston hyperX 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital IDE rosewill rcx-z2 Windows 8 Gateway LE500 
PowerCaseMouse
Power something 335.5watt In-win IW-V605T2 Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
post #202 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by von rottes View Post

It really depends on the quality of the job and also the thickness of the coating.
With just a normal anodized 6061 T6 aluminum the coating will scratch of "fairly" easy with any type of metal object.
You mean like keys in your pocket rubbing against it? Lol
Us and Them
(19 items)
 
Mini Me
(11 items)
 
The Traveller
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 4930K Overclocked  Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition EVGA Titan X Superclocked EVGA Titan X Superclocked 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
24GB Crucial Ballistix Elite Lots of SSD's WD Caviar Black 2TB x 2 Logitech BD-RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H80i Windows 7 Professional Dell 34" Ultrawide 1440p x 2  Ducky Shine 2 MX Red 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Enermax MaxRevo 1500w Cooler Master Cosmos 2 R.A.T. 9 Wireless Razor Aluminum 
AudioAudioOther
Xonar Essence SXT  Sennheiser HD598 Headphones Mini Fridge full of German Beer 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 4790k MSI Z97I MSI GTX 970 Million Edition 8gb Crucial Ballistix Elite 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD Blue 7200rpm LG USB External Windows 7 Professional 55" Lg Tv 
KeyboardPowerCase
Microsoft Wireless Bluetooth EVGA 500W EVGA Hadron Air (modified) 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6700K Asus Maximus VIII Impact  MSI Gaming GTX 1070 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
HGST 1TB x 2 2.5" HDD External Blu-Ray Cooler Master Gemini Microsoft Windows 7 64 Bit 
MonitorKeyboardCaseOther
4K LG TV Cheap Portable Fractal Design Node 202 256GB SD Card 
  hide details  
Reply
Us and Them
(19 items)
 
Mini Me
(11 items)
 
The Traveller
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 4930K Overclocked  Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition EVGA Titan X Superclocked EVGA Titan X Superclocked 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
24GB Crucial Ballistix Elite Lots of SSD's WD Caviar Black 2TB x 2 Logitech BD-RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H80i Windows 7 Professional Dell 34" Ultrawide 1440p x 2  Ducky Shine 2 MX Red 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Enermax MaxRevo 1500w Cooler Master Cosmos 2 R.A.T. 9 Wireless Razor Aluminum 
AudioAudioOther
Xonar Essence SXT  Sennheiser HD598 Headphones Mini Fridge full of German Beer 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 4790k MSI Z97I MSI GTX 970 Million Edition 8gb Crucial Ballistix Elite 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD Blue 7200rpm LG USB External Windows 7 Professional 55" Lg Tv 
KeyboardPowerCase
Microsoft Wireless Bluetooth EVGA 500W EVGA Hadron Air (modified) 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6700K Asus Maximus VIII Impact  MSI Gaming GTX 1070 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
HGST 1TB x 2 2.5" HDD External Blu-Ray Cooler Master Gemini Microsoft Windows 7 64 Bit 
MonitorKeyboardCaseOther
4K LG TV Cheap Portable Fractal Design Node 202 256GB SD Card 
  hide details  
Reply
post #203 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuell View Post

This and other things stated easily explain why Apple gets so much negative press here on OCN.
And again, as stated many, many times, nobody is stopping anyone here from posting news about any other smartphone or manufacturer. If you have time to point out how "bias" OCN is with who gets the bad news posting, and point to sources of other phones/manus having problems, you can simply click the "Start a New Thread" Button and post away. I'm sure many will thank you for pointing to other issues to be wary of, whereas when you simply complain in this thread because Apple is getting bashed and why not X, Y, Z, you simply come off as the type of fan your accusing others of being, and almost fuelling them further. Be constructive rather than just complain I guess is what I'm saying simply...
These are legit issues and legit news posts. Much more legit than some lawsuits I've seen (sorry, I couldn't help myself on that one... I know, a bit cheap maybe?) Other issues are just as legit and can have their own thread too, if someone cares enough to make one...

Honestly I'm done with this. You guys are clearly not going to see things in any other light. Be constructive? Take a look around these threads. Apple sucks. Yeah that's what you get for paying for something made by Apple. I could probably fill a whole page with posts like that throughout this and other threads. Why do I bring it up for this scenario? Because you guys are biased. Your are being hypocritical in a textbook fashion. When the company you guys hate the most (that brought about your new smartphones you know and love) trips up, you're on it like rabid sharks. When the companies you praise have similar issues, nothing. You gave me a hundred excuses as to why. Oh it was before it was opened from the box. It wasn't from the sites we normally frequent (Engadget, Gizmodo, Techcrunch). What am I accusing people of? You guys simply want to see Apple burn for the sake of it burning. You wanted to see them burn at the iPod. You wanted to see them burn with the iPhone. And you wanted them to burn with the iPad. You guys are so quick to point out the flaws with Apple but don't realize without them you're MP3 players would have been garbage, your smartphones wouldn't exist, your tablets wouldn't exist, corning glass would never have come back. Yeah there would be variations that probably came up later on, but fact is Apple started the trends. Yeah there were some products out there before that had similar things (some tablets). But they never took off. And because they never did they would never have entered the mainstream and taken off. Actually I'd say they never would have taken off. Fact is when each of those products launched closed minded tech enthusiasts, blogs, and competitors almost immediately called them garbage and said they'd never take off. Or is it because they wanted to try to put a dent in Apple's rep by bad mouthing them at the time?

Quality issues that you guys complain about this is the one I laugh about the most. They push themselves as being higher quality. Really? They may call themselves the best phones out there (who doesnt) and what phone company doesn't laud their quality? HTC did it with the One series. The reason you remember Apple for it more is because you see them more in the spotlight and in ads. The reason you remember it more is because unlike most other manufacturers (bizarrely) they actually stick with one advertising campaign/theme instead of launching a whole bunch. Guys they make the designs. They don't do the assembly. The guys that are assembling are the same that assemble your dell products, sharp products, and many more. Plus they have to make enough to meet with the massive demand that comes with Apple products. Apple's had to actively invest in manufacturers multiple times to get them to meet the production they need to get their products to consumers, hell they had to help pay for Corning to get factories up and running to make the glass. Sorry if some come out bad, it does suck and if there's too many it is a problem. But you guys instead cry foul they can't keep QC to save their asses. If they don't produce enough to make sure that QC keeps up you start ripping on apple fans that wait in line because supply is so constrained. Then you go and rip on the guys who buy them on ebay for massive markups because they can afford to and don't have the time to wait in line. You're expecting some sort of super company clearly run by an omnipotent being that sees everything.

All of you say what you will. I'm willing to put money on the line that this turns out to not be a massive problem and was only due to some hiccups in the first batch.
Project Taco
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 4770k Z87 G1 Sniper 5 EVGA 780 TI Classified EVGA 780 TI Classified 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
Avexir Core Series 4x4GB White Samsung 840 EVO Corsair H100i Noiseblocker eLoops 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8.1 QNIX QX2710 QNIX QX2710 KBT Pure MX Whites 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA Supernova 1000W Gold NZXT H440 Func MS-3 O2/ODAC 
Audio
MrSpeakers Mad Dogs (Fostex T50RP Mod) 
  hide details  
Reply
Project Taco
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 4770k Z87 G1 Sniper 5 EVGA 780 TI Classified EVGA 780 TI Classified 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
Avexir Core Series 4x4GB White Samsung 840 EVO Corsair H100i Noiseblocker eLoops 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8.1 QNIX QX2710 QNIX QX2710 KBT Pure MX Whites 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA Supernova 1000W Gold NZXT H440 Func MS-3 O2/ODAC 
Audio
MrSpeakers Mad Dogs (Fostex T50RP Mod) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #204 of 237
Yeah, but Apple.

Your post is invalid.
It's-a tu maaach
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 @ 4GHz (1.2 vcore) Asus P7P55D EVO Powercolor 5850 4x 2GB of Corsair XMS 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
2x 250GB (Raid 0) XSPC Raystorm CPU block + EK 360 rad + XSPC Dua... Samsung UE37C6000  Corsair K90 + Logitech G13 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Jeantech 1000W Corsair Obsidian 800D Corsair M90 Edirol UA-25 > pair of Pioneer S-DJ08  
  hide details  
Reply
It's-a tu maaach
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 @ 4GHz (1.2 vcore) Asus P7P55D EVO Powercolor 5850 4x 2GB of Corsair XMS 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
2x 250GB (Raid 0) XSPC Raystorm CPU block + EK 360 rad + XSPC Dua... Samsung UE37C6000  Corsair K90 + Logitech G13 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Jeantech 1000W Corsair Obsidian 800D Corsair M90 Edirol UA-25 > pair of Pioneer S-DJ08  
  hide details  
Reply
post #205 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomTaco View Post

Honestly I'm done with this. You guys are clearly not going to see things in any other light. Be constructive? Take a look around these threads. Apple sucks. Yeah that's what you get for paying for something made by Apple. I could probably fill a whole page with posts like that throughout this and other threads. Why do I bring it up for this scenario? Because you guys are biased. Your are being hypocritical in a textbook fashion. When the company you guys hate the most (that brought about your new smartphones you know and love) trips up, you're on it like rabid sharks. When the companies you praise have similar issues, nothing. You gave me a hundred excuses as to why. Oh it was before it was opened from the box. It wasn't from the sites we normally frequent (Engadget, Gizmodo, Techcrunch). What am I accusing people of? You guys simply want to see Apple burn for the sake of it burning. You wanted to see them burn at the iPod. You wanted to see them burn with the iPhone. And you wanted them to burn with the iPad. You guys are so quick to point out the flaws with Apple but don't realize without them you're MP3 players would have been garbage, your smartphones wouldn't exist, your tablets wouldn't exist, corning glass would never have come back. Yeah there would be variations that probably came up later on, but fact is Apple started the trends. Yeah there were some products out there before that had similar things (some tablets). But they never took off. And because they never did they would never have entered the mainstream and taken off. Actually I'd say they never would have taken off. Fact is when each of those products launched closed minded tech enthusiasts, blogs, and competitors almost immediately called them garbage and said they'd never take off. Or is it because they wanted to try to put a dent in Apple's rep by bad mouthing them at the time?
Quality issues that you guys complain about this is the one I laugh about the most. They push themselves as being higher quality. Really? They may call themselves the best phones out there (who doesnt) and what phone company doesn't laud their quality? HTC did it with the One series. The reason you remember Apple for it more is because you see them more in the spotlight and in ads. The reason you remember it more is because unlike most other manufacturers (bizarrely) they actually stick with one advertising campaign/theme instead of launching a whole bunch. Guys they make the designs. They don't do the assembly. The guys that are assembling are the same that assemble your dell products, sharp products, and many more. Plus they have to make enough to meet with the massive demand that comes with Apple products. Apple's had to actively invest in manufacturers multiple times to get them to meet the production they need to get their products to consumers, hell they had to help pay for Corning to get factories up and running to make the glass. Sorry if some come out bad, it does suck and if there's too many it is a problem. But you guys instead cry foul they can't keep QC to save their asses. If they don't produce enough to make sure that QC keeps up you start ripping on apple fans that wait in line because supply is so constrained. Then you go and rip on the guys who buy them on ebay for massive markups because they can afford to and don't have the time to wait in line. You're expecting some sort of super company clearly run by an omnipotent being that sees everything.
All of you say what you will. I'm willing to put money on the line that this turns out to not be a massive problem and was only due to some hiccups in the first batch.

You started that post with "i'm done with this" then be done. That post is way too long to read thus pointless. If u are done, then be done. This thread is about durability issues that are showing uo the first week. It's and issue, and hopefully gets fixed.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930 (4.20 ghz @ 1.312v) Asus p6T are for nerds 6gb Corsair xms3 6-6-6-18 @1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 120gb Lite-on 24x dvdr/w Win 7 64 Asus 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Legitech Illuminated Cooler Master Silent Pro 700 Cooler Master 690 Cyborg R.A.T. 7 
Mouse Pad
big ol fatty 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930 (4.20 ghz @ 1.312v) Asus p6T are for nerds 6gb Corsair xms3 6-6-6-18 @1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 120gb Lite-on 24x dvdr/w Win 7 64 Asus 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Legitech Illuminated Cooler Master Silent Pro 700 Cooler Master 690 Cyborg R.A.T. 7 
Mouse Pad
big ol fatty 
  hide details  
Reply
post #206 of 237
Mac Rumors has a poll up and currently 36.35% have had a damaged phone out of the box. Another 9.68% scratched in the 1st week. The poll has over 1400 votes and it on a Apple based forum. So please dont say im exaggerating or baised. Apples first batch is really just that bad.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-6600K Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 Gigabyte 980 Ti Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz  
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 840 EVO 250gb Swiftech H240-X  Win10 Pro Logitech K830 
PowerCaseOther
EVGA Supernova 1000w G2 Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass EK Titan X / 980 Ti Full Cover Waterblock  
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-6600K Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 Gigabyte 980 Ti Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz  
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 840 EVO 250gb Swiftech H240-X  Win10 Pro Logitech K830 
PowerCaseOther
EVGA Supernova 1000w G2 Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass EK Titan X / 980 Ti Full Cover Waterblock  
  hide details  
Reply
post #207 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookster View Post

Every product has faults. The point is that this is a rather predictable issue, created by pure neglect from a company who's business model is based around a look and feel of perfection. With the experience Apple has in the mobile department, they shouldn't have had any difficulty in finding out that this would happen, and the fact that it is a design flaw that will very quickly effect a huge number of current and would-be iPhone 5 owners is what makes it more alarming than things like how the original Nintendo'a cartridge reader would stop working so well after 7 years of abuse. This isn't a high failure rate or "most common cause of death" thing, it's an issue that will almost immediately effect the vast majority of iphone users, but it'll certainly effect all of them reasonably soon after their purchase.
That doesn't mean Apple is somehow Apple to magically create products without defects. They happen, and they have happened for every iPhone (since the 4 -- I don't know about before that) and for every iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3930K View Post

THIS.

Hmm... the S3 dropped screen down, and the iPhone didn't. Maybe aerodynamics, maybe accident, maybe a compination of both.

Show me a drop test where they drop both phones screen-up.
I believe the link I posted wasn't from AndroidAuthority but from iFixYouri and the test was more thorough. This was the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMvE0lkunBg&feature=player_embedded
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze0303 View Post

Mac Rumors has a poll up and currently 36.35% have had a damaged phone out of the box. Another 9.68% scratched in the 1st week. The poll has over 1400 votes and it on a Apple based forum. So please dont say im exaggerating or baised. Apples first batch is really just that bad.
And out of 5 million iPhone 5's thats about 0.014 percent so far.
Edited by steelbom - 9/24/12 at 5:30pm
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #208 of 237
^ Uh, you forgot to inflate both numbers?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-6600K Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 Gigabyte 980 Ti Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz  
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 840 EVO 250gb Swiftech H240-X  Win10 Pro Logitech K830 
PowerCaseOther
EVGA Supernova 1000w G2 Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass EK Titan X / 980 Ti Full Cover Waterblock  
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-6600K Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 Gigabyte 980 Ti Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz  
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 840 EVO 250gb Swiftech H240-X  Win10 Pro Logitech K830 
PowerCaseOther
EVGA Supernova 1000w G2 Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass EK Titan X / 980 Ti Full Cover Waterblock  
  hide details  
Reply
post #209 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbom View Post

That doesn't mean Apple is somehow Apple to magically create products without defects. They happen, and they have happened for every iPhone (since the 4 -- I don't know about before that) and for every iPad.
I believe the link I posted wasn't from AndroidAuthority but from iFixYouri and the test was more thorough. This was the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMvE0lkunBg&feature=player_embedded
And out of 5 million iPhone 5's thats about 0.014 percent so far.

And it isn't conceivable that most users either won't notice or just won't care? This is a forum for those of us who like technology, not the unwashed masses who are like 'awmawgawd i heard a little bit of steve jobs is in every phone!'

Look, I've yet to hear you admit the iphone 5 has some prominent issues. If you can do that without trying to justify it with some more word garbage then consider our issues solved thumb.gif
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930 (4.20 ghz @ 1.312v) Asus p6T are for nerds 6gb Corsair xms3 6-6-6-18 @1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 120gb Lite-on 24x dvdr/w Win 7 64 Asus 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Legitech Illuminated Cooler Master Silent Pro 700 Cooler Master 690 Cyborg R.A.T. 7 
Mouse Pad
big ol fatty 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930 (4.20 ghz @ 1.312v) Asus p6T are for nerds 6gb Corsair xms3 6-6-6-18 @1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 120gb Lite-on 24x dvdr/w Win 7 64 Asus 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Legitech Illuminated Cooler Master Silent Pro 700 Cooler Master 690 Cyborg R.A.T. 7 
Mouse Pad
big ol fatty 
  hide details  
Reply
post #210 of 237
Aesthetics and quality have never really been my issues with Apple or the iPhone. They are generally good looking devices that are well built...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [GSM]Apple iPhone 5 aluminum shell plagued by chipping issues