Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › Why buy a console?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why buy a console? - Page 3  

post #21 of 297
"Consoles are for lazy people"

Could some of you just take a moment to think that through. Here at Overclock.net we have a passion for computing. 99% of the world couldn't care less how a computer worked. They want to start it up, get some work done or enjoy a game and that's it.

I'm not a car fan so i take my car to a mechanic when it breaks down. It's not because i'm lazy it's purely because i don't want to lean how to fix my car. I have talent in other places and that's the way it is. Just like people hire an accountant to do their taxes and so on.

That sort of mentality assumes that all humans strive to understand and learn everything, it's just not possible.
Edited by jackbrennan2008 - 9/23/12 at 7:41am
post #22 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbrennan2008 View Post

"Consoles are for lazy people"
Could some of you just take a moment to think that through. Here at Overclock.net we have a passion for computing. 99% of the world couldn't care less how a computer worked. They want to start it up, get some work done/enjoy a game and that's it.

 

 

And, the awesome part is that there are a bunch of corporate out there that are willing to do all the work for you and charge a premium. It's not about lazyness, it's just that some people are more willing than others to let the corporates walk over them (apple, anyone?).


As another poster said, i'm quite sure that at least a good proportion of console gamers have at least a semi-decent computer that could run their games.


EDIT : I can understand that console are about ease of use, but isnt that just a more polite way to say lazyness?

post #23 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinterize View Post

And, the awesome part is that there are a bunch of corporate out there that are willing to do all the work for you and charge a premium. It's not about lazyness, it's just that some people are more willing than others to let the corporates walk over them (apple, anyone?).
As another poster said, i'm quite sure that at least a good proportion of console gamers have at least a semi-decent computer that could run their games.
Everything on the planet is made by a "Corporations". You could apply your way of thinking to everything from consoles to transport to the brand of food you buy.

It's irrelevant.

With that being said why does building your own PC put you out of the corporations dirty little hands? It doesn't, you run Windows because your games are not available on Linux or other homebrew operating systems.

A PC is a collection of products, a console is a single product. All of which are made by corporations. All of which serve a purpose and if one serves your purpose better than the other one then that's where you money should go. It's that simple.
post #24 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbrennan2008 View Post

"Consoles are for lazy people"
Could some of you just take a moment to think that through. Here at Overclock.net we have a passion for computing. 99% of the world couldn't care less how a computer worked. They want to start it up, get some work done or enjoy a game and that's it.
I'm not a car fan so i take my car to a mechanic when it breaks down. It's not because i'm lazy it's purely because i don't want to lean how to fix my car. I have talent in other places and that's the way it is. Just like people hire an accountant to do their taxes and so on.
That sort of mentality assumes that all humans strive to understand and learn everything, it's just not possible.

Mechanics and computers are a little different. Computers don't require any special tools or items like cars do to fix. Tools and special computers to attatch to your ECU in your car will cost you 10 000+. Even many backyard mechanics cannot afford certain equipment in which they would recommend you have to take it to a dealership/mechanic.

Also building/servicing a computer is as easy as a google search/youtube search. Cars maybe so but the tools/workspace is a major issue. I do see what you are saying though. Like I said. Simply put console is easier. Plug it in, pop the disk and GO!
Vespula vulgaris
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k MSI Z77 Mpower MSI N670GTX OC Mushkin Blackline Enhanced 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 830 128GB Swiftech Apogee HD 4 port XSPC Dual Bay Res D5 Black Koolance screw plug G1/4" Black x 14 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Mayhem's Pastel Sunset Yellow x3 Alphacool Cape Corp Coolplex Pro 25 LT Dazmode D5 STORM Vario Monsoon 3/8" - 5/8"  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Monsoon 5/8" 90* Akasa Viper 140mm x9 Watercool HEATKILLER® GPU-X³ GTX 670 Ni-Bl Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 420mm 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper 140mm Windows 7 64 bit Benq GL2250 Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 750w 
CaseMouseOther
NZXT Switch 810 SE Matte Black  Razer Deathadder MDPC  
  hide details  
Vespula vulgaris
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k MSI Z77 Mpower MSI N670GTX OC Mushkin Blackline Enhanced 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 830 128GB Swiftech Apogee HD 4 port XSPC Dual Bay Res D5 Black Koolance screw plug G1/4" Black x 14 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Mayhem's Pastel Sunset Yellow x3 Alphacool Cape Corp Coolplex Pro 25 LT Dazmode D5 STORM Vario Monsoon 3/8" - 5/8"  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Monsoon 5/8" 90* Akasa Viper 140mm x9 Watercool HEATKILLER® GPU-X³ GTX 670 Ni-Bl Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 420mm 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper 140mm Windows 7 64 bit Benq GL2250 Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 750w 
CaseMouseOther
NZXT Switch 810 SE Matte Black  Razer Deathadder MDPC  
  hide details  
post #25 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbrennan2008 View Post


Everything on the planet is made by a "Corporations". You could apply your way of thinking to everything from consoles to transport to the brand of food you buy.
It's irrelevant.
With that being said why does building your own PC put you out of the corporations dirty little hands? It doesn't, you run Windows because your games are not available on Linux or other homebrew operating systems.
A PC is a collection of products, a console is a single product. All of which are made by corporations. All of which serve a purpose and if one serves your purpose better than the other one then that's where you money should go. It's that simple.

 

Good point!


Basically, I think that by using your a single machine for all your digital related task (productivity, entertainment, etc) allow you to buy less products, thus allow you to consume less, than, let's say, using a TV, a tablet, a cellphone, one or two consoles and a laptop.



Basically what i'm trying to say is that there is no real way for us, consumer, to stop supporting the corporation. What we can do is support them a little bit less than the average.
 

post #26 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHighScore View Post

Mechanics and computers are a little different. Computers don't require any special tools or items like cars do to fix. Tools and special computers to attatch to your ECU in your car will cost you 10 000+. Even many backyard mechanics cannot afford certain equipment in which they would recommend you have to take it to a dealership/mechanic.
Also building/servicing a computer is as easy as a google search/youtube search. Cars maybe so but the tools/workspace is a major issue. I do see what you are saying though. Like I said. Simply put console is easier. Plug it in, pop the disk and GO!

I know, but your also taking the standpoint of someone who enjoys it. If you enjoyed repairing cars you would invest some money into some equipment so you could take care of it at home.

A good example is accounting. It doesn't require any tools and simple accounting is something everyone should learn, but they don't (Even though it's important and extremely useful). They don't need to. It's the same with computing. Why learn something if you don't need or want too?

I suppose it could be said that accounting is "Boring", but i'm 100% certain that installing drivers, maintaining and looking after a PC is like accounting to 99% of the people i know and love.
post #27 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbrennan2008 View Post

I know, but your also taking the standpoint of someone who enjoys it. If you enjoyed repairing cars you would invest some money into some equipment so you could take care of it at home.
A good example is accounting. It doesn't require any tools and simple accounting is something everyone should learn, but they don't. They don't need to. It's the same with computing. Why learn something if you don't need or want too?
I suppose it could be said that accounting is "Boring", but i'm 100% certain that installing drivers, maintaining and looking after a PC is like accounting to 99% of the people i know and love.

I understand your point fully. Accounting is definitely a better example. On a side note I didn't get into PC building and overclocking and because I enjoyed it. It all started when I started having dreaded pre built PC problems. So I decided to put my google-fu to use and a few years later here I am addicted! I don't think that could ever happen with accounting though. tongue.gif LOL
Vespula vulgaris
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k MSI Z77 Mpower MSI N670GTX OC Mushkin Blackline Enhanced 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 830 128GB Swiftech Apogee HD 4 port XSPC Dual Bay Res D5 Black Koolance screw plug G1/4" Black x 14 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Mayhem's Pastel Sunset Yellow x3 Alphacool Cape Corp Coolplex Pro 25 LT Dazmode D5 STORM Vario Monsoon 3/8" - 5/8"  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Monsoon 5/8" 90* Akasa Viper 140mm x9 Watercool HEATKILLER® GPU-X³ GTX 670 Ni-Bl Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 420mm 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper 140mm Windows 7 64 bit Benq GL2250 Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 750w 
CaseMouseOther
NZXT Switch 810 SE Matte Black  Razer Deathadder MDPC  
  hide details  
Vespula vulgaris
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k MSI Z77 Mpower MSI N670GTX OC Mushkin Blackline Enhanced 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 830 128GB Swiftech Apogee HD 4 port XSPC Dual Bay Res D5 Black Koolance screw plug G1/4" Black x 14 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Mayhem's Pastel Sunset Yellow x3 Alphacool Cape Corp Coolplex Pro 25 LT Dazmode D5 STORM Vario Monsoon 3/8" - 5/8"  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Monsoon 5/8" 90* Akasa Viper 140mm x9 Watercool HEATKILLER® GPU-X³ GTX 670 Ni-Bl Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 420mm 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper 140mm Windows 7 64 bit Benq GL2250 Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 750w 
CaseMouseOther
NZXT Switch 810 SE Matte Black  Razer Deathadder MDPC  
  hide details  
post #28 of 297
Cause exclusives 'nuff said also for split screen.
Edited by Eagle1337 - 9/23/12 at 8:01am
post #29 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbrennan2008 View Post


I know, but your also taking the standpoint of someone who enjoys it. If you enjoyed repairing cars you would invest some money into some equipment so you could take care of it at home.
A good example is accounting. It doesn't require any tools and simple accounting is something everyone should learn, but they don't (Even though it's important and extremely useful). They don't need to. It's the same with computing. Why learn something if you don't need or want too?
I suppose it could be said that accounting is "Boring", but i'm 100% certain that installing drivers, maintaining and looking after a PC is like accounting to 99% of the people i know and love.


You are making very good point.


Actually, it sadden me, because the average consumer is actually getting milked for absolutely everything. I mean, they are successfully creating needs and then selling us the means to fulfil it.
And what do we do with our free time?
We watch FOX, go party and have fun, trying to forget that 3500$ credit card statement.

post #30 of 297
-cheapo
-easy to use
-moar games than pc
-games run and look fine
-cheapo
-no virus
-less cables
-and moreeeeeeeee
-cheapo

really if you are a pc gamer you would had changed your pc 2 times at least so far since 2005

in 2005 everyone had p4 and athlons with x800 and 6800, those worked for some time

then many bought athlonx x2 or core2duos with 7800 8800 x1950, those with 8800 were lucky for a long time, but core2duos needed >3ghz, so many updated again to e8400

then 2 cores is not enough, so another update to quads, phenom2 or i5, plus 8800 is not enough for 1080, so another gpu 6850 460

after that is just wishes to spend money with ivys and 7950 660 etc

so, with all that many many could have bought every console on the market + all their crap accessories and services and stuff
pote reload
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 3570k@4.4@1.25 gigabyte z77z-ud3h gigabyte gtx460 768mb oc 850/2100 8gb ddr3 1600 corair vengeance blue 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
samsung 500gb hd502hj, 2x crucial m4 64gb raid 0 sony optiarc 24x hyper 212+ win8 x64 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
envision lcd wide 19 + lg tv lcds 32" 32ld330 1... corsair vx 550w cheapo steelseries ikari laser 
  hide details  
pote reload
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 3570k@4.4@1.25 gigabyte z77z-ud3h gigabyte gtx460 768mb oc 850/2100 8gb ddr3 1600 corair vengeance blue 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
samsung 500gb hd502hj, 2x crucial m4 64gb raid 0 sony optiarc 24x hyper 212+ win8 x64 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
envision lcd wide 19 + lg tv lcds 32" 32ld330 1... corsair vx 550w cheapo steelseries ikari laser 
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PC Gaming
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › Why buy a console?