Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › ATI Drivers and Overclocking Software › Need some OC guidance for Sapphire 7870 Ghz Edition
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need some OC guidance for Sapphire 7870 Ghz Edition

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
So Ive been able to get up to 1100Mhz on the core clock with MSI Afterburner with stock voltages and ran kombuster and im good on all my temps and getting 80fps. But as soon as I get up to 1200Mhz on the core as soon as I open kombuster my whole computer locks up and I have to manual restart on the tower. I tried upping the voltage 3-4 notches but the same issue occurs or the display driver stops working. Any hints a tips are appreciated.

Edit: It would seem my GPU usage is jumping from 0-99% also. It wont stay consistently 99%
Edited by Honk5891 - 9/25/12 at 12:47pm
Blue Monster
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8350 @ 5.0Ghz on 1.5V Asus Sabertooth Rev 2.0 Gigabyte 7950 WF3 1250/1600 OC on 1.3V AIR 8 GB GSkill Ripjaw X 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB  1x Kingston Hyper X 120GB SSD Asus Combo 7x120mm CM and 1x200mm CM 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Raystorm RS240 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Asus 21.5" 1080P full HD 850W Coolermaster M Silent Pro 
Case
Coolermaster HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
Blue Monster
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8350 @ 5.0Ghz on 1.5V Asus Sabertooth Rev 2.0 Gigabyte 7950 WF3 1250/1600 OC on 1.3V AIR 8 GB GSkill Ripjaw X 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB  1x Kingston Hyper X 120GB SSD Asus Combo 7x120mm CM and 1x200mm CM 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Raystorm RS240 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Asus 21.5" 1080P full HD 850W Coolermaster M Silent Pro 
Case
Coolermaster HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitch_alucard View Post

So Ive been able to get up to 1100Mhz on the core clock with MSI Afterburner with stock voltages and ran kombuster and im good on all my temps and getting 80fps. But as soon as I get up to 1200Mhz on the core as soon as I open kombuster my whole computer locks up and I have to manual restart on the tower. I tried upping the voltage 3-4 notches but the same issue occurs or the display driver stops working. Any hints a tips are appreciated.
Edit: It would seem my GPU usage is jumping from 0-99% also. It wont stay consistently 99%

I have two gigabyte windforce editions with 1100 MHz stock on the core and they will not go over that no matter the voltage or tweaking utility or ccc edition. I have given up overclocking these cards and sticking with the factory oc. Too much instability even with pushing a little bit extra
post #3 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost12 View Post

I have two gigabyte windforce editions with 1100 MHz stock on the core and they will not go over that no matter the voltage or tweaking utility or ccc edition. I have given up overclocking these cards and sticking with the factory oc. Too much instability even with pushing a little bit extra

I was under the impression that they were very easily overclocked according to what people are saying. Now when I hit 1100Mhz on the core my gpu usage in the OSD says its 0% or jumps to 99% and my fps is not even affected from stock 1000Mhz core clock.

Edit: think I figured it out. Under general options there is a option for power consumption and you can put it +/- 20% and it was at 0%. As soon as I pushed it to 20% it allows the gpu usage to stay steady at 1100Mhz in Kombuster and I get far better fps.
Edited by Honk5891 - 9/25/12 at 1:02pm
Blue Monster
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8350 @ 5.0Ghz on 1.5V Asus Sabertooth Rev 2.0 Gigabyte 7950 WF3 1250/1600 OC on 1.3V AIR 8 GB GSkill Ripjaw X 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB  1x Kingston Hyper X 120GB SSD Asus Combo 7x120mm CM and 1x200mm CM 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Raystorm RS240 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Asus 21.5" 1080P full HD 850W Coolermaster M Silent Pro 
Case
Coolermaster HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
Blue Monster
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8350 @ 5.0Ghz on 1.5V Asus Sabertooth Rev 2.0 Gigabyte 7950 WF3 1250/1600 OC on 1.3V AIR 8 GB GSkill Ripjaw X 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB  1x Kingston Hyper X 120GB SSD Asus Combo 7x120mm CM and 1x200mm CM 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Raystorm RS240 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Asus 21.5" 1080P full HD 850W Coolermaster M Silent Pro 
Case
Coolermaster HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 6
Thread Starter 
Got it stable at 1150Mhz on stock volts. Anything over that and it totally craps out even when I bump the voltage up. I must be doing something wrong.... I got the voltage almost to 1290Mv on MSI and I still cant get 1200Mhz to run without crashing,
Blue Monster
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8350 @ 5.0Ghz on 1.5V Asus Sabertooth Rev 2.0 Gigabyte 7950 WF3 1250/1600 OC on 1.3V AIR 8 GB GSkill Ripjaw X 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB  1x Kingston Hyper X 120GB SSD Asus Combo 7x120mm CM and 1x200mm CM 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Raystorm RS240 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Asus 21.5" 1080P full HD 850W Coolermaster M Silent Pro 
Case
Coolermaster HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
Blue Monster
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8350 @ 5.0Ghz on 1.5V Asus Sabertooth Rev 2.0 Gigabyte 7950 WF3 1250/1600 OC on 1.3V AIR 8 GB GSkill Ripjaw X 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB  1x Kingston Hyper X 120GB SSD Asus Combo 7x120mm CM and 1x200mm CM 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Raystorm RS240 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Asus 21.5" 1080P full HD 850W Coolermaster M Silent Pro 
Case
Coolermaster HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 6
Personally I dislike Kombustor, I'll lock up if I run it at 980Mhz Core + 1500Mhz Mem yet I can run Heaven for 6+ Hours without locking up.
Boop.
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Phenom II x6 1090T ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 Sapphire 7950 Dual-X Gigabyte 7950 Windforce 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Patriot G.Series Samsung 840 Evo Seagate Barracuda Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Samsung SyncMaster 305T Corsair Vengeance K60 Rosewill 750W 80+ Gold 
CaseMouseAudio
NZXT White Phantom R.A.T 5 Razer Tiamat 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Boop.
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Phenom II x6 1090T ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 Sapphire 7950 Dual-X Gigabyte 7950 Windforce 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Patriot G.Series Samsung 840 Evo Seagate Barracuda Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Samsung SyncMaster 305T Corsair Vengeance K60 Rosewill 750W 80+ Gold 
CaseMouseAudio
NZXT White Phantom R.A.T 5 Razer Tiamat 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitch_alucard View Post

I was under the impression that they were very easily overclocked according to what people are saying. Now when I hit 1100Mhz on the core my gpu usage in the OSD says its 0% or jumps to 99% and my fps is not even affected from stock 1000Mhz core clock.
Edit: think I figured it out. Under general options there is a option for power consumption and you can put it +/- 20% and it was at 0%. As soon as I pushed it to 20% it allows the gpu usage to stay steady at 1100Mhz in Kombuster and I get far better fps.

Some are very overclockable, not all. Like I said I have two gigabyte versions and they will not run over 1100mhz no matter what the voltage or tweaking utility or driver version.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › ATI Drivers and Overclocking Software › Need some OC guidance for Sapphire 7870 Ghz Edition