Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › Windows simply won't install!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Windows simply won't install!  

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
Okay guys, this has me about to throw this PC out the window. I am using a Rampage IV Extreme, and my original plan was: 2 SSD's in raid 0, 2 HDD's in raid 1. However, the Windows 7 does not like ANY of the raid drivers I gave it. And I mean ANY! I used the ones that others had use successfully.

So, I gave up, and unplugged everything, and left only a single SSD. And when I tried to install Windows, it asked for a driver... for the chipset... And even then, when I give it every driver I have (and some from the web), it still won't show the SSD. However, the SSD works perfectly fine... So, can someone give me a surefire driver, and then what should I do if it doesn't work?
post #2 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy1998 View Post

Okay guys, this has me about to throw this PC out the window. I am using a Rampage IV Extreme, and my original plan was: 2 SSD's in raid 0, 2 HDD's in raid 1. However, the Windows 7 does not like ANY of the raid drivers I gave it. And I mean ANY! I used the ones that others had use successfully.
So, I gave up, and unplugged everything, and left only a single SSD. And when I tried to install Windows, it asked for a driver... for the chipset... And even then, when I give it every driver I have (and some from the web), it still won't show the SSD. However, the SSD works perfectly fine... So, can someone give me a surefire driver, and then what should I do if it doesn't work?

So at what part are things starting to go bad, when it asks where to install windows?

EDIT: Also, are you making sure that you went in the BIOS/RAID Controller after unplugging the one SSD and verifying it wasn't seeing it as a broken RAID or something?
Edited by EpicAMDGamer - 9/26/12 at 6:15pm
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.9Ghz Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP7 EVGA GTX 980Ti SC 4x 4GB Patriot Viper Xtreme 2133Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD WD Caviar Blue SATA II 640GB EK CPUWB & Rad, Temporary XSPC Pump & Res, All ... Windows 7 Home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
3x 1080p 24" Monitors Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Corsair HX-750 NZXT Lexa S (Highly Modified) 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Naga 2014 Steelseries QCK Kenwood KA-5500 Reciever & (Temporary) ATH-M30X's 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Atom D525 2C/4T 1.8Ghz SuperMicro X7SPE-HF-D525 Integrated - Not Used 2x 2GB DDR3 Sodimms 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
4GB Sata DOM Passive (except for PSU Fan) Debian GNU/Linux 8.0 Jessie PicoPSU 120Watt with 60Watt EDAC Brick 
CaseOther
1U Supermicro DHCP/DNS/Munin 
  hide details  
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.9Ghz Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP7 EVGA GTX 980Ti SC 4x 4GB Patriot Viper Xtreme 2133Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD WD Caviar Blue SATA II 640GB EK CPUWB & Rad, Temporary XSPC Pump & Res, All ... Windows 7 Home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
3x 1080p 24" Monitors Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Corsair HX-750 NZXT Lexa S (Highly Modified) 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Naga 2014 Steelseries QCK Kenwood KA-5500 Reciever & (Temporary) ATH-M30X's 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Atom D525 2C/4T 1.8Ghz SuperMicro X7SPE-HF-D525 Integrated - Not Used 2x 2GB DDR3 Sodimms 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
4GB Sata DOM Passive (except for PSU Fan) Debian GNU/Linux 8.0 Jessie PicoPSU 120Watt with 60Watt EDAC Brick 
CaseOther
1U Supermicro DHCP/DNS/Munin 
  hide details  
post #3 of 24
Crap. I had the same thing happen to me when I had to get new HDD's and set up raid 0 again. Let me back track and see if I can find it.
House heater
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930k @ 3.9GHz Asus Rampage IV Black Edition Zotac GTX 980Ti ArcticStorm 16GB Corsair Dominator 2132MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
1TB x2 Samsung F3 RAID 0 LG blu-ray burner Corsair H80 Win10 Pro 64-bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
3x 23" LG Flatron W2361VG (sexy glossy) Hisense 55" 4k tv Logitech MX5500 Corsair 850w 
CaseMouseAudio
CoolerMaster HAF-X Logitech revolution laser (MX5500 combo) Onboard SupgremeFX 
  hide details  
House heater
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930k @ 3.9GHz Asus Rampage IV Black Edition Zotac GTX 980Ti ArcticStorm 16GB Corsair Dominator 2132MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
1TB x2 Samsung F3 RAID 0 LG blu-ray burner Corsair H80 Win10 Pro 64-bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
3x 23" LG Flatron W2361VG (sexy glossy) Hisense 55" 4k tv Logitech MX5500 Corsair 850w 
CaseMouseAudio
CoolerMaster HAF-X Logitech revolution laser (MX5500 combo) Onboard SupgremeFX 
  hide details  
post #4 of 24
IF youve given up on the diea of installing windows onto a raid, make sure you change the sata type in bios before you install windows to ahci mode instead of raid mode.

Also are you 100% sure the power cablea and sata cables work that your using to plug the ssd in? Windows installation should be asking you to format and make a partition on the new drive, but you say its not being recognised.

If under BIOS you cant select the SSD as a bootable drive, then im sorry but its not working. It should show up in bios as OCZ VERTEX SSD or similar as a bootable drive if you select HDD as a bootable priority.
post #5 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicAMDGamer View Post

So at what part are things starting to go bad, when it asks where to install windows?
(In custom install mode, btw)
I click the install windows thing, and it loads the files... And then where you would pick your disc to install to, I have absolutely none. And even when I try all of my drivers, they drive still won't show up. And I know the drives are formatted fine, and all that, because I plugged them into another pc, and they show up fine, and I formatted both perfectly... It's getting to the point where I want to get a full return and say F*** it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by $ilent View Post

IF youve given up on the diea of installing windows onto a raid, make sure you change the sata type in bios before you install windows to ahci mode instead of raid mode.
Also are you 100% sure the power cablea and sata cables work that your using to plug the ssd in? Windows installation should be asking you to format and make a partition on the new drive, but you say its not being recognised.
If under BIOS you cant select the SSD as a bootable drive, then im sorry but its not working. It should show up in bios as OCZ VERTEX SSD or similar as a bootable drive if you select HDD as a bootable priority.
The drive will post fine. The drive is definitely not the issue here. As much as I want to do raid, it simply won't work. I set it to raid mode, and then configured it in the Intel setting thing... And then windows wouldn't install no matter what. So I restored everything (including AHCI mode) and it still won't install at all... And they're running through the Intel X79 chipset... It shouldn't be a controller issue. I am pretty sure it's the software side of things.
Edited by Jeremy1998 - 9/26/12 at 6:20pm
post #6 of 24
misread the post
5th Element
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 960T Zosma ASRock 970 EXTREME3 VisionTek Radeon HD 5850 Vengeance 2x4gb 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
wd velociraptor samsung 830 coolermaster v8 windows 7 ultimate 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Acer G235H westinghouse 19" cheapo Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W  
CaseMouseMouse PadOther
NZXT Tempest 410 Elite logitech mk 700 razer goliathus  Nzxt Hue 
  hide details  
5th Element
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 960T Zosma ASRock 970 EXTREME3 VisionTek Radeon HD 5850 Vengeance 2x4gb 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
wd velociraptor samsung 830 coolermaster v8 windows 7 ultimate 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Acer G235H westinghouse 19" cheapo Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W  
CaseMouseMouse PadOther
NZXT Tempest 410 Elite logitech mk 700 razer goliathus  Nzxt Hue 
  hide details  
post #7 of 24
So you can select the ssd as a boot drive in BIOS boot priority then?
post #8 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by $ilent View Post

So you can select the ssd as a boot drive in BIOS boot priority then?
Yes. It is my boot drive. It shows up as the C: drive. Everything posts perfectly, the problems begin when the Windows installation process starts. None of my drives will ever show up in the windows installer.
post #9 of 24
House heater
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930k @ 3.9GHz Asus Rampage IV Black Edition Zotac GTX 980Ti ArcticStorm 16GB Corsair Dominator 2132MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
1TB x2 Samsung F3 RAID 0 LG blu-ray burner Corsair H80 Win10 Pro 64-bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
3x 23" LG Flatron W2361VG (sexy glossy) Hisense 55" 4k tv Logitech MX5500 Corsair 850w 
CaseMouseAudio
CoolerMaster HAF-X Logitech revolution laser (MX5500 combo) Onboard SupgremeFX 
  hide details  
House heater
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930k @ 3.9GHz Asus Rampage IV Black Edition Zotac GTX 980Ti ArcticStorm 16GB Corsair Dominator 2132MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
1TB x2 Samsung F3 RAID 0 LG blu-ray burner Corsair H80 Win10 Pro 64-bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
3x 23" LG Flatron W2361VG (sexy glossy) Hisense 55" 4k tv Logitech MX5500 Corsair 850w 
CaseMouseAudio
CoolerMaster HAF-X Logitech revolution laser (MX5500 combo) Onboard SupgremeFX 
  hide details  
post #10 of 24
Well assuming you have tried the AHCI drivers also, set everything to native IDE mode and see what happens then.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Windows
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › Windows simply won't install!