Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Laptops and Netbooks › Removing battery when on AC while gaming
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Removing battery when on AC while gaming - Page 4

post #31 of 38
I can't say I could be bothered to unplug a laptop battery when it was plugged in, but if you're gaming on it and it gets hot I've no doubt that would affect battery life - all batteries are badly affected by high temperatures, since the breakdown that degrades them over a period of years is, like most every chemical reaction, more active at higher temperatures - I cool the cupboard that my UPS sits in because of this.
Project Obselete
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 2600k @ 4.6GHz Asus Maximus IV Extreme R9 290 R9 290 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
16GB G-Skill DDR3 1600MHz 256GB Samsung 830 SSD 512GB Samsung 830 SSD 256 GB Samsung PB22-J SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 Asus BW-12B1LT Custom loop with external radbox 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Crossover 27Q LED-P Crossover 27Q LED-P Optoma GT720 
PowerCaseAudioOther
Corsair AX1200i Coolermaster HAF X Asus Xonar D2X Highpoint RocketRAID 2680 
  hide details  
Reply
Project Obselete
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 2600k @ 4.6GHz Asus Maximus IV Extreme R9 290 R9 290 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
16GB G-Skill DDR3 1600MHz 256GB Samsung 830 SSD 512GB Samsung 830 SSD 256 GB Samsung PB22-J SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 Asus BW-12B1LT Custom loop with external radbox 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Crossover 27Q LED-P Crossover 27Q LED-P Optoma GT720 
PowerCaseAudioOther
Corsair AX1200i Coolermaster HAF X Asus Xonar D2X Highpoint RocketRAID 2680 
  hide details  
Reply
post #32 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisTheSpider View Post

I can't say I could be bothered to unplug a laptop battery when it was plugged in, but if you're gaming on it and it gets hot I've no doubt that would affect battery life - all batteries are badly affected by high temperatures, since the breakdown that degrades them over a period of years is, like most every chemical reaction, more active at higher temperatures - I cool the cupboard that my UPS sits in because of this.

no, for that i've placed a cooling fan underneath which keeps the hot air away from the battery and battery remains cool...but if what i've said is correct then it just means that, keeping the battery plugged out of the laptop is just draining its battery without even using it and i'm losing battery life anyways.
post #33 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by shad0wboss View Post

Wait, so what you're saying is that keeping the battery out of the laptop would be bad for the health because it is already draining whereas keeping it charged and using it rarely won't kill the battery life?
I think i get your point...correct me if i'm wrong though

no, what i'm saying is that it would not make any difference, unless your laptop and/or battery doesn't have overcharging protection.
post #34 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider85 View Post

no, what i'm saying is that it would not make any difference, unless your laptop and/or battery doesn't have overcharging protection.

how would i know that my battery has overcharging protection or not...I mean, the battery just sits at 100% which is prolly due to my 120W charging providing enough energy for all the hardwares but it just doesn't state whether it is still charging or not because all it says is "fully charged"
post #35 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by shad0wboss View Post

how would i know that my battery has overcharging protection or not...I mean, the battery just sits at 100% which is prolly due to my 120W charging providing enough energy for all the hardwares but it just doesn't state whether it is still charging or not because all it says is "fully charged"

just leave it plugged in, play games for an hour, then check if it still says fully charged, if it still says that then unplug it and let it sit idle for a minute, then check for the battery level while unplugged, if it still at 100 percent then it MAY not have OCP
post #36 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by shad0wboss View Post

how would i know that my battery has overcharging protection or not...I mean, the battery just sits at 100% which is prolly due to my 120W charging providing enough energy for all the hardwares but it just doesn't state whether it is still charging or not because all it says is "fully charged"

EVERY rechargable consumer li-on / li-poly battery (yes, every single one) has overcharging protection - specially, battery management circuitry in anything that has 2+ cells (with one cell it's pretty much automatic.. see cell at 100%, does not charge). If you want to see what happens without overcharge protection, ghetto up several li-on cells in series and get a fireproof box, fire extinguisher, an open field, goggles, running shoes and have at a fun little experiment. Hint.. eventually a li-on battery pack will explode or ignite without proper battery management circuitry, assuming you charge and discharge it enough times.
Edited by jrbroad77 - 10/8/12 at 3:01pm
 
Lanbox Lite
(16 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i3-2310M Intel HD 3000 8GB DDR3 Samsung 830 64GB SSD 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
640GB Hitachi HDD Windows 7 13.3" LCD Magnesium Alloy, 3.2lbs 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 BE Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-UD2H MSI Hawk R5770 3x2GB G.Skill DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 250 GB WD Caviar Black Samsung 20X DVD-R/RW Thermaltake MaxOrb 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Noctua NF-B9-1600 Windows 7 Pro 64-bit BenQ E2420HD, 24" 1920x1080 TT Purepower 500W 
Case
TT Lanbox Lite 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Lanbox Lite
(16 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i3-2310M Intel HD 3000 8GB DDR3 Samsung 830 64GB SSD 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
640GB Hitachi HDD Windows 7 13.3" LCD Magnesium Alloy, 3.2lbs 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 BE Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-UD2H MSI Hawk R5770 3x2GB G.Skill DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 250 GB WD Caviar Black Samsung 20X DVD-R/RW Thermaltake MaxOrb 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Noctua NF-B9-1600 Windows 7 Pro 64-bit BenQ E2420HD, 24" 1920x1080 TT Purepower 500W 
Case
TT Lanbox Lite 
  hide details  
Reply
post #37 of 38
Thread Starter 
I think my battery's overcharging because i installed this program when i got my laptop and the total capacity stated by it was 59xxx mWh but now i checked the total capacity and it was 60329 mWh, lets hope that the total capacity doesn't go beyond that or else it is probably considered overcharging, no?
post #38 of 38
Thread Starter 
Ok, now suddenly, i noticed that battery is at 97% now and it says "plugged in, not charging" dunno why...although in the morning when i first made previous post, it was at 100%
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Laptops and Netbooks
Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Laptops and Netbooks › Removing battery when on AC while gaming