Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › [Build Log] Merlin (Water Cooled r-atx SM8 w/dual Pedestals / Z97X-UD5H)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Build Log] Merlin (Water Cooled r-atx SM8 w/dual Pedestals / Z97X-UD5H) - Page 127

post #1261 of 2434
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandrix View Post

You could probably engrave the clear acrylic by hand with a sharp tool and a guide.

All the Akasa cables were 50cm, which is nowhere near long enough since I moved the drive cage. I needed 30-36" cables but there are few made that size so I ended up getting 1m cables. The ones I got are Rosewill, they are the house brand for Newegg and are exactly like the Akasa slim cables.

Yes i give it another try tomorrow. "NEVER GIVE UP". and need more time. wink.gif
post #1262 of 2434
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TATH View Post

Yes i give it another try tomorrow. "NEVER GIVE UP". and need more time. wink.gif
I think engraving by hand should work fine. At least I really hope so. I'm not going to pay a bunch of money for someone to cut some lines in acrylic, just on principle. There is a tool made for engraving acrylic, but I don't see why a regular utility knife wouldn't work, do you? Slip in a fresh blade and get a good straightedge and go to town on it. thumb.gif

But if this acrylic I bought works like advertised I will not have to cut any lines in it. Supposedly it is well suited for edge lighting, we'll see. The acrylic piece should be here about Monday sometime. I already have a few sheets of white translucent and some mirror.
post #1263 of 2434
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandrix View Post

I think engraving by hand should work fine. At least I really hope so. I'm not going to pay a bunch of money for someone to cut some lines in acrylic, just on principle. There is a tool made for engraving acrylic, but I don't see why a regular utility knife wouldn't work, do you? Slip in a fresh blade and get a good straightedge and go to town on it. thumb.gif

But if this acrylic I bought works like advertised I will not have to cut any lines in it. Supposedly it is well suited for edge lighting, we'll see. The acrylic piece should be here about Monday sometime. I already have a few sheets of white translucent and some mirror.

Yes, you shouldn't need any lines in the endlighten panels...
Quote:
Optimized for vertical viewing, the surface is 250% brighter when viewed from the front.

I'm dubious as to the "250% brighter" bit... that's a pretty strong claim - unless they mean as compared to a simple etched panel of unknown manufacture. I can guarantee it isn't 2.5X brighter than looking at the LEDs themselves which is what their ad verbage seems to be saying! tongue.gif

Mine is supposed to arrive next week (later in the week tho)... can't wait to see how well it works - but at least I can get a 'preview' here in your log! thumb.gif
post #1264 of 2434
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiGiCiDAL View Post

Yes, you shouldn't need any lines in the endlighten panels...
I'm dubious as to the "250% brighter" bit... that's a pretty strong claim - unless they mean as compared to a simple etched panel of unknown manufacture. I can guarantee it isn't 2.5X brighter than looking at the LEDs themselves which is what their ad verbage seems to be saying! tongue.gif

Mine is supposed to arrive next week (later in the week tho)... can't wait to see how well it works - but at least I can get a 'preview' here in your log! thumb.gif
I didn't see any claims about the brightness....
What thickness did you get? I went with the 5/16" (.315) since it seemed like that would work better with the width of the led strip.
post #1265 of 2434
Thread Starter 
Quickie pics
Got another fan mount coming today to fill that empty hole.....




Here's what the double density led strip connectors look like...
post #1266 of 2434
As much as I liked the blue...the all white is looking even better. Really sharp.
post #1267 of 2434
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandrix View Post

Quickie pics
Got another fan mount coming today to fill that empty hole.....




Here's what the double density led strip connectors look like...

I thought "just 2 wires" but the arent RGB lights" so only + and - .

beautiful pictures. smile.gif
post #1268 of 2434
I also Like the all white...
post #1269 of 2434
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandrix View Post

I didn't see any claims about the brightness....
What thickness did you get? I went with the 5/16" (.315) since it seemed like that would work better with the width of the led strip.

I went with the .236 for the light panel and .118 for the white panel so that I could either have mirror or not on bottom depending on the brightness. Since I got twice the size necessary I figured I can either double up on one or both and still be either just under or just over .5" in width. Plus, that way I can potentially just to a "score and snap" cut on the white panel - i.e. the cheap one that I can always replace locally if I'm really stupid somehow. smile.gif In any case I can try some things with the 'garbage half' to see what works - and then once I stop changing my mind rolleyes.gif I can do the final work on the untouched half.

I'm thinking of doing something 'special' possibly as far as a graphic layer between them if it works right... wink.gif
post #1270 of 2434
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpachris View Post

As much as I liked the blue...the all white is looking even better. Really sharp.
White is good. biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATH View Post

I thought "just 2 wires" but the arent RGB lights" so only + and - .

beautiful pictures. smile.gif

No RGB for me, not right now anyway. I do have RGB bulbs on the Res though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seross69 View Post

I also Like the all white...
Thanks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Build Logs
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › [Build Log] Merlin (Water Cooled r-atx SM8 w/dual Pedestals / Z97X-UD5H)