Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [ars] Time Warner, AT&T want Kansas City to give them Google Fiber-style deal
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[ars] Time Warner, AT&T want Kansas City to give them Google Fiber-style deal - Page 8

post #71 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturin View Post

I don't understand your bitterness.
red herring.
hey look at that over there!

The sky is blue.

Your argument is therefore completely invalid.
It's-a tu maaach
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 @ 4GHz (1.2 vcore) Asus P7P55D EVO Powercolor 5850 4x 2GB of Corsair XMS 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
2x 250GB (Raid 0) XSPC Raystorm CPU block + EK 360 rad + XSPC Dua... Samsung UE37C6000  Corsair K90 + Logitech G13 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Jeantech 1000W Corsair Obsidian 800D Corsair M90 Edirol UA-25 > pair of Pioneer S-DJ08  
  hide details  
Reply
It's-a tu maaach
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 @ 4GHz (1.2 vcore) Asus P7P55D EVO Powercolor 5850 4x 2GB of Corsair XMS 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
2x 250GB (Raid 0) XSPC Raystorm CPU block + EK 360 rad + XSPC Dua... Samsung UE37C6000  Corsair K90 + Logitech G13 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Jeantech 1000W Corsair Obsidian 800D Corsair M90 Edirol UA-25 > pair of Pioneer S-DJ08  
  hide details  
Reply
post #72 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dronac View Post

Free? If would vote for my city to PAY for google to put up lines on my cities poles if I had to.

I would too, if it meant i could get off this 1.3mb crap.....
post #73 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Knucklehead View Post

Anyway, I'm about done on this topic. I'm not going to change anybodies view on this and they certainly aren't going to change mine.
Google got a sweetheart deal, and IMO, all other providers have every right to be "ticked" that the city basically hand picked one company to be the "winner" here and true competition was not allowed.
Peace!

by "hand picked" you mean chose the best deal for the city based on what was offered by different providers than i agree. but you seem to think that it is the job of cities to support the bottom line of companies regardless of their own interests
post #74 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectblade View Post

by "hand picked" you mean chose the best deal for the city based on what was offered by different providers than i agree. but you seem to think that it is the job of cities to support the bottom line of companies regardless of their own interests

I don't think it even gets that far.

Its not like AT&T were in long time talks with Kansas state regarding their "passion" for pushing the telecommunications industry forward and then Google stepped in out of nowhere and were given first dibs.

If anything, the reason why Google would have been given first dibs is because nobody else was there to give those dibs to, due to nobody else presenting any kind of desirable package that would benefit the most of Kansas if they were given those dibs.
It's-a tu maaach
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 @ 4GHz (1.2 vcore) Asus P7P55D EVO Powercolor 5850 4x 2GB of Corsair XMS 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
2x 250GB (Raid 0) XSPC Raystorm CPU block + EK 360 rad + XSPC Dua... Samsung UE37C6000  Corsair K90 + Logitech G13 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Jeantech 1000W Corsair Obsidian 800D Corsair M90 Edirol UA-25 > pair of Pioneer S-DJ08  
  hide details  
Reply
It's-a tu maaach
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 @ 4GHz (1.2 vcore) Asus P7P55D EVO Powercolor 5850 4x 2GB of Corsair XMS 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
2x 250GB (Raid 0) XSPC Raystorm CPU block + EK 360 rad + XSPC Dua... Samsung UE37C6000  Corsair K90 + Logitech G13 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Jeantech 1000W Corsair Obsidian 800D Corsair M90 Edirol UA-25 > pair of Pioneer S-DJ08  
  hide details  
Reply
post #75 of 92
This "sweetheart" deal came about from a national competition between practically every American city to have Google bring Google Fiber to their area. This wasn't some shady backroom deal. KC made the best offer and Google took them up on it. Case closed. If AT&T and Time Warner want to compete they should have offered a similar deal on the condition they get the same treatment. As it stands, they want the deal without any promise of improving their QoS to anywhere near what Google is going to offer. That is not fair competition. This is the all too familiar Apple tactic of stifling competition.
Rishloo
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k @ 4.4 GHz ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 EVGA 9800 GTX 8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Samsung 840 EVO Crucial M4 Boot Drive WD Caviar Black Windows 8.1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 24" G2410 Logitech G19 Seasonic X-Series 750W Coolermaster HAF X 
MouseAudio
Logtiech G9x X-Fi Gamer 
  hide details  
Reply
Rishloo
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k @ 4.4 GHz ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 EVGA 9800 GTX 8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Samsung 840 EVO Crucial M4 Boot Drive WD Caviar Black Windows 8.1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 24" G2410 Logitech G19 Seasonic X-Series 750W Coolermaster HAF X 
MouseAudio
Logtiech G9x X-Fi Gamer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #76 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzleBoy View Post

The sky is blue.
Your argument is therefore completely invalid.

ohstopyou.jpg
AMD Transplant
(11 items)
 
To be a NAS
(13 items)
 
Death Kühler
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
965BE GA-78LMT-S2P MSI TFIII 7950 Corsair Vengence 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 Noctua NH-D14 Win7 Pro FX2490HD 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic X660 Antec Three Hundred Saitek Rat 7 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Gateway GM5072 AMD HD5550 2.0 Gb 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
Seagate Barracuda 500Gb Samsung FX2490 MS Keyboard 3000 300w generic 
Mouse
MS Intellipoint 3000 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k GigaByte Z68M-D2H-B3 MSI 560 Ti TFIII Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 Antec Khuler 920 Win7 HP Samsung FX2490 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Keyboard 3000 Seasonic X-660 Antec Three Hundred Microsoft Mouse 3000 
Mouse PadAudio
None - Blue Track baby Senn HD428 
  hide details  
Reply
AMD Transplant
(11 items)
 
To be a NAS
(13 items)
 
Death Kühler
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
965BE GA-78LMT-S2P MSI TFIII 7950 Corsair Vengence 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 Noctua NH-D14 Win7 Pro FX2490HD 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic X660 Antec Three Hundred Saitek Rat 7 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Gateway GM5072 AMD HD5550 2.0 Gb 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
Seagate Barracuda 500Gb Samsung FX2490 MS Keyboard 3000 300w generic 
Mouse
MS Intellipoint 3000 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k GigaByte Z68M-D2H-B3 MSI 560 Ti TFIII Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 Antec Khuler 920 Win7 HP Samsung FX2490 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Keyboard 3000 Seasonic X-660 Antec Three Hundred Microsoft Mouse 3000 
Mouse PadAudio
None - Blue Track baby Senn HD428 
  hide details  
Reply
post #77 of 92
LOL! I remember when the issue was about Google investing into their own internet solution because of crap-holes like ATT/TWC. Now that they have it, suddenly everyone wants to dip their nose in Google's cake.
post #78 of 92
I might move down to Kansas City and go to college their in the next 6 months. My step dad is a lawyer and he lives there. In fact - I literally just got back into town from Kansas City less than 4 hours ago. Nice place if I do say myself - crazy traffic though. Wouldn't want to bring my slow truck down there. I love the Microcenter in Overland park and I would definitely consider moving down there if he where to make me his paralegal. Considering i'm unattractive and he specializes in sex crimes none of his clients would stare at me - perfect combo!
Edited by M3T4LM4N222 - 10/3/12 at 1:32am
AMD has Ryzen
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 ASRock AB350 Gaming-ITX EVGA GTX 1060 3GB ACX 2.0 16GB Crucial DDR4 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
256GB Crucial SSD Stock RGB Cooler Windows 10 Professional 64 Two KG241Q 75HZ monitors 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Velocifire Brown Switch 10-Keyless. 750W Rosewill Glacier modular.  Thermaltake Core Mini ITX  Logitech G502 Spectrum 
Audio
Superlux 681 w/ HM5 pads.  
  hide details  
Reply
AMD has Ryzen
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 ASRock AB350 Gaming-ITX EVGA GTX 1060 3GB ACX 2.0 16GB Crucial DDR4 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
256GB Crucial SSD Stock RGB Cooler Windows 10 Professional 64 Two KG241Q 75HZ monitors 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Velocifire Brown Switch 10-Keyless. 750W Rosewill Glacier modular.  Thermaltake Core Mini ITX  Logitech G502 Spectrum 
Audio
Superlux 681 w/ HM5 pads.  
  hide details  
Reply
post #79 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForNever View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmark2 View Post

I recommend reading the full article. it's pretty short and shows exactly what they're wanting.
My take: If TWC and ATT want the same treatment as Google, they should've offered gigabit years ago. Now that Google has decided to take on the ISPs of the world they're getting all cranky because they want the status quo to remain. As it is, mobile data rates are insane and home ISPs can scalp pretty hard too. I'd say give TWC and ATT the same treatment as Google if they offer Gigabit. If not? No deal.

Spot on sir. TW & AT&T opted to milk current infrastructure as long as possible for as much as possible. Instead of using a portion of revenue to update infrastructure, they chose to pocket it instead. Too damn bad. I should probably scan some of the HILARIOUS letters Time Warner sends current customers here in KC talking about the great service they provide, just please, please stay with them. The jig is up, and they are sweating bullets.

YES PLEASE! thumb.gif
post #80 of 92
Quote:
Spot on sir. TW & AT&T opted to milk current infrastructure as long as possible for as much as possible. Instead of using a portion of revenue to update infrastructure, they chose to pocket it instead. Too damn bad. I should probably scan some of the HILARIOUS letters Time Warner sends current customers here in KC talking about the great service they provide, just please, please stay with them. The jig is up, and they are sweating bullets.

LOL this would make my day.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [ars] Time Warner, AT&T want Kansas City to give them Google Fiber-style deal