Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › I am confused about FPS and refresh rate.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I am confused about FPS and refresh rate. - Page 3

post #21 of 54
Thread Starter 
OK I see. I never get screen tearing however but thanks for the explanation guys. So the only downside to 50fps on a 60hz monitor is the possibility of screen tearing right?
post #22 of 54
screen tearring happens when the fps is > than the refresh rate

there is no downside to 50fps on a 60hz monitor - unless you turn on VSYNC for some reason, and it steps the fps down to 30fps
post #23 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerocloud411 View Post

OK I see. I never get screen tearing however but thanks for the explanation guys. So the only downside to 50fps on a 60hz monitor is the possibility of screen tearing right?

I also forgot to tell you that on your monitor, you should turn off ACM if it happens to be on. it can affect the way your monitor displays.

good for pictures, videos etc.

bad for graphically demanding applications, games, 3dmark etc.
Stryker-PC
(17 items)
 
Homemade NAS
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
amd apu a6-5400k msi onboard corsair 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
western digital 2tb western digital 2tb hgst deskstar 3tb hgst deskstar 3tb 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
none nas4free hp logisys 480 
Case
logisys 
  hide details  
Reply
Stryker-PC
(17 items)
 
Homemade NAS
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
amd apu a6-5400k msi onboard corsair 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
western digital 2tb western digital 2tb hgst deskstar 3tb hgst deskstar 3tb 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
none nas4free hp logisys 480 
Case
logisys 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade 117 View Post

I also forgot to tell you that on your monitor, you should turn off ACM if it happens to be on. it can affect the way your monitor displays.
good for pictures, videos etc.
bad for graphically demanding applications, games, 3dmark etc.

im using an ASUS v238h i didn't see that int he options. BTW i am testing borderlands 2 with physx (i have an amd card so thats running off my cpu) and i have a completely steady 60fps. This is optimal for my monitor right? also you guys were right, vsync was ******* my fps up, after i turned it off its straight 60
post #25 of 54
gw2 with fxaa and supersampling on?tried it with my 7950 boost and i5 intel oc and i get 21 fps at 1920x1080p

use moninfo.exe if the software tell you the screen is an rgb ,non-srgb!then disable any color in windows mbe it srgb or icc.(not sure if i did it the proper way but basicly i right clicked anywhere on desktop,selected resolution,adanced parameter,color .... tab,click icon of same name,select then utilise my paramater for this device,make sure the proper device is in the window,go in advanced tab,select modify default value window,make sure no profile are in the big window,select profile,create an association.then click same where ever you puted it,tthen close the last profile page on the first select periferal tab ,you should see identical page as the one you just closed,make sure the profile associated window is empty .and that the utilise my parameter for this periferal is still clicked .if so close this also,if you dont go play with color in gpu and let screen do it you should see the intended quality of the screen and might also get less lag!(i havent tested with hdmi but with dvi-d its great!leave acm on on your monitor by the way ,this is what you should adjust (ya i know calibrating a screen is a drag!)
Edited by drbaltazar - 10/2/12 at 2:57pm
post #26 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbaltazar View Post

gw2 with fxaa and supersampling on?tried it with my 7950 boost and i5 intel oc and i get 21 fps at 1920x1080p
use moninfo.exe if the software tell you the screen is an rgb ,non-srgb!then disable any color in windows mbe it srgb or icc.(not sure if i did it the proper way but basicly i right clicked anywhere on desktop,selected resolution,adanced parameter,color .... tab,click icon of same name,select then utilise my paramater for this device,make sure the proper device is in the window,go in advanced tab,select modify default value window,make sure no profile are in the big window,select profile,create an association.then click same where ever you puted it,tthen close the last profile page on the first select periferal tab ,you should see identical page as the one you just closed,make sure the profile associated window is empty .and that the utilise my parameter for this periferal is still clicked .if so close this also,if you dont go play with color in gpu and let screen do it you should see the intended quality of the screen and might also get less lag!(i havent tested with hdmi but with dvi-d its great!leave acm on on your monitor by the way ,this is what you should adjust (ya i know calibrating a screen is a drag!)

you think I should just use one or the other? not both?
post #27 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by whybother View Post

Indeed, although it's not a large improvement.
Input lag below is that of the graphics card and frame generation, not the display itself.
60fps at 60hz = 16.7ms to 33.3ms input lag = ~25ms input lag
120fps at 60hz = 16.7ms to 25ms input lag = ~20.8ms input lag
60fps at 120hz = 8.3ms to 25ms input lag = ~16.7ms input lag
120fps at 120hz = 8.3ms to 16.7ms input lag = ~12.5ms input lag
240fps at 120hz = 8.3ms to 12.5ms input lag = ~10.4ms input lag

Interesting. Thanks for those timings Whybother. This explains why I have a better k/d ratio in BF3 has improved. Especially in close quarter combat.

So is it the input lag + response time of monitor = the time it takes to see input reactions? Sorry if we went over your head OP.
VR
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930k on H2O Asus RIVE GTX 1080Ti Ripjaws 16GB 2133Mhz 
Hard DriveMonitorMonitorPower
[x2] Samsung 830 RAID0  VR- HTC VIVE  Acer Predator X34 3440x1440 100Hz Gsync EVGA Classified SR-2 1200w 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Fostex TH-900 Headphones Asus Xonar Essence One DAC Sennheiser HDVD800 Sennheiser HD800 
Audio
HiFiMan HE-5LE 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K Asrock Extreme 11 x4 GTX Titan Quad SLI + EK Blocks Ripjaws Z 16gb 2133  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
[x2] Samsung 830 SSD 128gb in Raid0 Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD D5 Pump, Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta 480 + RX360 R... [x3] Qnix 2560x1440 120hz 
PowerAudioAudio
EVGA SR-2 1200w  Asus Xonar Essence One Amp/DAC Sennheiser HD800 Headphones 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 3930k Asus RIVE EVGA GTX 670 Quad SLI Ripjaws Z 16GB 2133 CL11 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
[x2] SSD Samsung 830 126GB RAID0 Samsung Spinpoint 2TB XSPC Raystorm Block, RX360, D5 [x3] ASUS VG278H 27" 3D Monitors 
PowerCase
EVGA Classified SR-2 1200w CM HAF X 942 
  hide details  
Reply
VR
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930k on H2O Asus RIVE GTX 1080Ti Ripjaws 16GB 2133Mhz 
Hard DriveMonitorMonitorPower
[x2] Samsung 830 RAID0  VR- HTC VIVE  Acer Predator X34 3440x1440 100Hz Gsync EVGA Classified SR-2 1200w 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Fostex TH-900 Headphones Asus Xonar Essence One DAC Sennheiser HDVD800 Sennheiser HD800 
Audio
HiFiMan HE-5LE 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K Asrock Extreme 11 x4 GTX Titan Quad SLI + EK Blocks Ripjaws Z 16gb 2133  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
[x2] Samsung 830 SSD 128gb in Raid0 Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD D5 Pump, Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta 480 + RX360 R... [x3] Qnix 2560x1440 120hz 
PowerAudioAudio
EVGA SR-2 1200w  Asus Xonar Essence One Amp/DAC Sennheiser HD800 Headphones 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 3930k Asus RIVE EVGA GTX 670 Quad SLI Ripjaws Z 16GB 2133 CL11 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
[x2] SSD Samsung 830 126GB RAID0 Samsung Spinpoint 2TB XSPC Raystorm Block, RX360, D5 [x3] ASUS VG278H 27" 3D Monitors 
PowerCase
EVGA Classified SR-2 1200w CM HAF X 942 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerocloud411 View Post

im using an ASUS v238h i didn't see that int he options. BTW i am testing borderlands 2 with physx (i have an amd card so thats running off my cpu) and i have a completely steady 60fps. This is optimal for my monitor right? also you guys were right, vsync was ******* my fps up, after i turned it off its straight 60
Are you running the hack to run PhysX with an AMD card? Btw PhysX set on low is basically Physx off.
VR
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930k on H2O Asus RIVE GTX 1080Ti Ripjaws 16GB 2133Mhz 
Hard DriveMonitorMonitorPower
[x2] Samsung 830 RAID0  VR- HTC VIVE  Acer Predator X34 3440x1440 100Hz Gsync EVGA Classified SR-2 1200w 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Fostex TH-900 Headphones Asus Xonar Essence One DAC Sennheiser HDVD800 Sennheiser HD800 
Audio
HiFiMan HE-5LE 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K Asrock Extreme 11 x4 GTX Titan Quad SLI + EK Blocks Ripjaws Z 16gb 2133  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
[x2] Samsung 830 SSD 128gb in Raid0 Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD D5 Pump, Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta 480 + RX360 R... [x3] Qnix 2560x1440 120hz 
PowerAudioAudio
EVGA SR-2 1200w  Asus Xonar Essence One Amp/DAC Sennheiser HD800 Headphones 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 3930k Asus RIVE EVGA GTX 670 Quad SLI Ripjaws Z 16GB 2133 CL11 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
[x2] SSD Samsung 830 126GB RAID0 Samsung Spinpoint 2TB XSPC Raystorm Block, RX360, D5 [x3] ASUS VG278H 27" 3D Monitors 
PowerCase
EVGA Classified SR-2 1200w CM HAF X 942 
  hide details  
Reply
VR
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930k on H2O Asus RIVE GTX 1080Ti Ripjaws 16GB 2133Mhz 
Hard DriveMonitorMonitorPower
[x2] Samsung 830 RAID0  VR- HTC VIVE  Acer Predator X34 3440x1440 100Hz Gsync EVGA Classified SR-2 1200w 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Fostex TH-900 Headphones Asus Xonar Essence One DAC Sennheiser HDVD800 Sennheiser HD800 
Audio
HiFiMan HE-5LE 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K Asrock Extreme 11 x4 GTX Titan Quad SLI + EK Blocks Ripjaws Z 16gb 2133  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
[x2] Samsung 830 SSD 128gb in Raid0 Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD D5 Pump, Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta 480 + RX360 R... [x3] Qnix 2560x1440 120hz 
PowerAudioAudio
EVGA SR-2 1200w  Asus Xonar Essence One Amp/DAC Sennheiser HD800 Headphones 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 3930k Asus RIVE EVGA GTX 670 Quad SLI Ripjaws Z 16GB 2133 CL11 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
[x2] SSD Samsung 830 126GB RAID0 Samsung Spinpoint 2TB XSPC Raystorm Block, RX360, D5 [x3] ASUS VG278H 27" 3D Monitors 
PowerCase
EVGA Classified SR-2 1200w CM HAF X 942 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolern View Post

Are you running the hack to run PhysX with an AMD card? Btw PhysX set on low is basically Physx off.

no im running physx off of my cpu on high, 60fps straight absolutely no issues.
post #30 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerocloud411 View Post

no im running physx off of my cpu on high, 60fps straight absolutely no issues.

Unless you are running the hack to run PhysX with an AMD card then the PhysX defaults to low even though it shows high in the settings. Here in Physx low vs high on BL2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo_zDkvazKI
VR
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930k on H2O Asus RIVE GTX 1080Ti Ripjaws 16GB 2133Mhz 
Hard DriveMonitorMonitorPower
[x2] Samsung 830 RAID0  VR- HTC VIVE  Acer Predator X34 3440x1440 100Hz Gsync EVGA Classified SR-2 1200w 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Fostex TH-900 Headphones Asus Xonar Essence One DAC Sennheiser HDVD800 Sennheiser HD800 
Audio
HiFiMan HE-5LE 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K Asrock Extreme 11 x4 GTX Titan Quad SLI + EK Blocks Ripjaws Z 16gb 2133  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
[x2] Samsung 830 SSD 128gb in Raid0 Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD D5 Pump, Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta 480 + RX360 R... [x3] Qnix 2560x1440 120hz 
PowerAudioAudio
EVGA SR-2 1200w  Asus Xonar Essence One Amp/DAC Sennheiser HD800 Headphones 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 3930k Asus RIVE EVGA GTX 670 Quad SLI Ripjaws Z 16GB 2133 CL11 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
[x2] SSD Samsung 830 126GB RAID0 Samsung Spinpoint 2TB XSPC Raystorm Block, RX360, D5 [x3] ASUS VG278H 27" 3D Monitors 
PowerCase
EVGA Classified SR-2 1200w CM HAF X 942 
  hide details  
Reply
VR
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930k on H2O Asus RIVE GTX 1080Ti Ripjaws 16GB 2133Mhz 
Hard DriveMonitorMonitorPower
[x2] Samsung 830 RAID0  VR- HTC VIVE  Acer Predator X34 3440x1440 100Hz Gsync EVGA Classified SR-2 1200w 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Fostex TH-900 Headphones Asus Xonar Essence One DAC Sennheiser HDVD800 Sennheiser HD800 
Audio
HiFiMan HE-5LE 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K Asrock Extreme 11 x4 GTX Titan Quad SLI + EK Blocks Ripjaws Z 16gb 2133  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
[x2] Samsung 830 SSD 128gb in Raid0 Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD D5 Pump, Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta 480 + RX360 R... [x3] Qnix 2560x1440 120hz 
PowerAudioAudio
EVGA SR-2 1200w  Asus Xonar Essence One Amp/DAC Sennheiser HD800 Headphones 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 3930k Asus RIVE EVGA GTX 670 Quad SLI Ripjaws Z 16GB 2133 CL11 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
[x2] SSD Samsung 830 126GB RAID0 Samsung Spinpoint 2TB XSPC Raystorm Block, RX360, D5 [x3] ASUS VG278H 27" 3D Monitors 
PowerCase
EVGA Classified SR-2 1200w CM HAF X 942 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › I am confused about FPS and refresh rate.