Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › [Official] Delidded Club / Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Delidded Club / Guide - Page 1235

post #12341 of 33576
Quote:
Originally Posted by King4x4 View Post

Yes!
Are you answering me?
This is from the manufacturer: Like all metals, our Liquid Metal may act as an electric conductor. This forms no problem if applied according to our instructions, as your cooler is made of conducting metal as well. Make sure "Coollaboratory Liquid Pro" does not touch any electric components.

So it is in fact conductive, and per EVGA should not be used on a GPU.

Are they just being careful to say that or should you really never use pro/ultra on a GPU?
Ivy 5.0
(14 items)
 
Ivy 4.8
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k 5.0 24/7 Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 690 G.Skill Trident X 2400 (2x8gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Pioneer BD-RW Swiftech H220 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 x NEC 30" Logitech G15 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Switch 810 
MouseAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech G51 
  hide details  
Reply
Ivy 5.0
(14 items)
 
Ivy 4.8
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k 5.0 24/7 Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 690 G.Skill Trident X 2400 (2x8gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Pioneer BD-RW Swiftech H220 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 x NEC 30" Logitech G15 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Switch 810 
MouseAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech G51 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12342 of 33576
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanoldman View Post

I called EVGA and they confirmed that replacing the TIM does not void the warranty provided you do it right and don’t hurt anything.
They also said that you have to use a TIM that is both non-conductive and non-capacitive, otherwise you will be in trouble.
Are the Coollabs products both of those things?

...to stick with the 'delidded' theme, these GPUs are already delidded, with EXPOSED transistors and such surrounding the die. When I opened my three 670ies up, all three had a huge globs of factory-applied TIM that had squeezed off the die onto said area with transistors...if it would have been conductive and capacitive, it would have been trouble.

...Swag however would know how to carefully apply CL so that there is no excess that could squeeze out from the top of the die and hit the sensitive electronic bits. I have not seen an exposed heat sink of an EVGA to determine whether it is nickel-plated copper or aluminum where CL would have contact - that would be my only concern per above post
post #12343 of 33576
EVGA gave me the example of AS5 not being safe because it is capacitive, while Ceramique is safe because it is not.

It sounds like you could use pro/ultra on the GPU if you are extremely careful, don’t get it anywhere it shouldn’t go, and don’t put too much so it will be pushed out. Then of course if you ever have to RMA it you would have to open it back up, perfectly remove any trace of ultra/pro and replace it with a “safe” TIM since I am assuming they could refuse the RMA if they see you used a conductive TIM like pro/ultra.
Ivy 5.0
(14 items)
 
Ivy 4.8
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k 5.0 24/7 Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 690 G.Skill Trident X 2400 (2x8gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Pioneer BD-RW Swiftech H220 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 x NEC 30" Logitech G15 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Switch 810 
MouseAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech G51 
  hide details  
Reply
Ivy 5.0
(14 items)
 
Ivy 4.8
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k 5.0 24/7 Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 690 G.Skill Trident X 2400 (2x8gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Pioneer BD-RW Swiftech H220 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 x NEC 30" Logitech G15 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Switch 810 
MouseAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech G51 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12344 of 33576
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanoldman View Post

EVGA gave me the example of AS5 not being safe because it is capacitive, while Ceramique is safe because it is not.

It sounds like you could use pro/ultra on the GPU if you are extremely careful, don’t get it anywhere it shouldn’t go, and don’t put too much so it will be pushed out. Then of course if you ever have to RMA it you would have to open it back up, perfectly remove any trace of ultra/pro and replace it with a “safe” TIM since I am assuming they could refuse the RMA if they see you used a conductive TIM like pro/ultra.

...sounds about right, but it's the same story with 3770 delids... As a 'middle option', there is MX4 which is the best non-CL product out there in my experience (yours may differ). MX4 is non-conductive / non-capacitive.

I ended up using MX4 on my vid cards due to the partial aluminum exposure
post #12345 of 33576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joa3d43 View Post

...sounds about right, but it's the same story with 3770 delids... As a 'middle option', there is MX4 which is the best non-CL product out there in my experience (yours may differ). MX4 is non-conductive / non-capacitive.

I ended up using MX4 on my vid cards due to the partial aluminum exposure
That is exactly what I was thinking. Since you just did this, any tips you can add to what Swag said, is it pretty easy to open up a 670, remove the old TIM and put the new on?
Ivy 5.0
(14 items)
 
Ivy 4.8
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k 5.0 24/7 Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 690 G.Skill Trident X 2400 (2x8gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Pioneer BD-RW Swiftech H220 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 x NEC 30" Logitech G15 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Switch 810 
MouseAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech G51 
  hide details  
Reply
Ivy 5.0
(14 items)
 
Ivy 4.8
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k 5.0 24/7 Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 690 G.Skill Trident X 2400 (2x8gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Pioneer BD-RW Swiftech H220 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 x NEC 30" Logitech G15 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Switch 810 
MouseAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech G51 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12346 of 33576
Got my CLU in today! Guess who is ripping their PC apart .....again?


tongue.gif
White Flood
(18 items)
 
HP HPE-1418
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570K De-Lidded @4.5Ghz 1.33v ASUS P8Z77-V VK XFX Radeon R7770 G.Skill RipjawX (4x4) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
ADATA SP900  WD Caviar Blue Seagate Cooler Mastery Hyper 212+ EVO 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctura Nf-12 Windows 7 Ultimate HP 2007w Emerson 32" HDTV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
I Stole One Seasonic 620w Modular PSU NZXT Switch 810 I Stole One 
Mouse PadAudio
My Desk Through MoBo 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6100 Gigabyte M3970AM-HP Radeon HD 7450 10GB PC3-10600 DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
SATA HD 3.0Gb/s SuperMulti DVD Burner Drive Windows 7 Premium HP w1907 
KeyboardPowerCase
HP Keyboard ATX 300w Mid-size ATX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
DIGIC4 Processor TTL-CT-SIR AF-dedicated CMOS sensor Digital Single Lens Reflex 18.7MP 3.7FPS 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
SDHC Class 10 SDHC Class 10 Magic Lantern 1.02 3" Rotating LCD 
Power
Battery Pack LP-E8 
  hide details  
Reply
White Flood
(18 items)
 
HP HPE-1418
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570K De-Lidded @4.5Ghz 1.33v ASUS P8Z77-V VK XFX Radeon R7770 G.Skill RipjawX (4x4) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
ADATA SP900  WD Caviar Blue Seagate Cooler Mastery Hyper 212+ EVO 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctura Nf-12 Windows 7 Ultimate HP 2007w Emerson 32" HDTV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
I Stole One Seasonic 620w Modular PSU NZXT Switch 810 I Stole One 
Mouse PadAudio
My Desk Through MoBo 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6100 Gigabyte M3970AM-HP Radeon HD 7450 10GB PC3-10600 DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
SATA HD 3.0Gb/s SuperMulti DVD Burner Drive Windows 7 Premium HP w1907 
KeyboardPowerCase
HP Keyboard ATX 300w Mid-size ATX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
DIGIC4 Processor TTL-CT-SIR AF-dedicated CMOS sensor Digital Single Lens Reflex 18.7MP 3.7FPS 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
SDHC Class 10 SDHC Class 10 Magic Lantern 1.02 3" Rotating LCD 
Power
Battery Pack LP-E8 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12347 of 33576
...it was very straightforward..mind you, the Asus Direct CUii T is a non-reference card with a different PCB - on those, only 4 screws hold the cooler assembly...

...with the EVGA, it will be more...when we posted via 'spoilers' on heat in the whole system a few days back, I had included a YouTube link of a fellow prepping an EVGA 670 for a water block...the first part of that (taking the old cooler off re screw locations) could be helpful to you re the process...you may even find that on your card (like on so many others), the screws weren't all tightened the same etc - so a worthwhile ops in any case.
post #12348 of 33576
Quote:
Originally Posted by megawatz View Post

Got my CLU in today! Guess who is ripping their PC apart .....again?


tongue.gif

...I got three apart right now...I wonder what the clinical term is for our affliction(s) biggrin.giftongue.gif
post #12349 of 33576
No kidding, one old computer in pieces because the power supply went out, another old computer being used for work, and two computer half built, switching parts back and forth, trying to share monitors to test different configurations. This is getting ridiculous.

On the plus side I just got my Trident X 2400 ram. My current sticks are old school as plain as can be, but these new ones, wow, what a difference in appearance.
Ivy 5.0
(14 items)
 
Ivy 4.8
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k 5.0 24/7 Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 690 G.Skill Trident X 2400 (2x8gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Pioneer BD-RW Swiftech H220 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 x NEC 30" Logitech G15 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Switch 810 
MouseAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech G51 
  hide details  
Reply
Ivy 5.0
(14 items)
 
Ivy 4.8
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k 5.0 24/7 Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 690 G.Skill Trident X 2400 (2x8gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Pioneer BD-RW Swiftech H220 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 x NEC 30" Logitech G15 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Switch 810 
MouseAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech G51 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12350 of 33576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swag View Post

Wait, will I still be able to RMA the card for any reason if I change the TIM to CLP?

Yeah...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swag View Post

My 680 is made by EVGA. How do I find out if the stock HSF contains aluminum?

Nickel plated copper base...
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanoldman View Post

Are you answering me?
This is from the manufacturer: Like all metals, our Liquid Metal may act as an electric conductor. This forms no problem if applied according to our instructions, as your cooler is made of conducting metal as well. Make sure "Coollaboratory Liquid Pro" does not touch any electric components.

So it is in fact conductive, and per EVGA should not be used on a GPU.

Are they just being careful to say that or should you really never use pro/ultra on a GPU?

They are being pussies...LP on die or go bust. wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanoldman View Post

No kidding, one old computer in pieces because the power supply went out, another old computer being used for work, and two computer half built, switching parts back and forth, trying to share monitors to test different configurations. This is getting ridiculous.

On the plus side I just got my Trident X 2400 ram. My current sticks are old school as plain as can be, but these new ones, wow, what a difference in appearance.

Nice grab! tongue.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › [Official] Delidded Club / Guide