Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › [Official] Delidded Club / Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Delidded Club / Guide - Page 1259

post #12581 of 33576
Well folks, I'm dead in the water. After two months of intermittent power supply shutdowns, it finally failed. The frustrating thing is that I had no idea if the shutdowns were caused by the power supply, motherboard, or a cable. The first time it happened was right after delidding my CPU which led me to believe I had bent some pins or something on the motherboard. Then everything was fine and it ran for two weeks straight without a failure. Now it has gotten so bad, that my computer will only stay running for 5-minutes without the supply shutting down with a red fault light. It even fails self test with nothing connected, so there is no doubt in my mind that it is the power supply.

The thing that really upsets me though, is that I paid a premium for my power supply. It is a Corsair AX860i Platinum power supply with a 7-year warranty. I do not expect it to fail within the first month. Grrrrr! doh.gif I wish I had a Seasonic.
Smoke and Mirrors
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3770K  Z77 MPower (MS-7751) MSI R7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
Avexir MSI Z77 MPOWER Optimized DDR3 2400 OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-256G 2.5" 256GB SATA I... Koolance CPU-380I Water Block XSPC EX360 Radiator  
CoolingOSPowerCase
XSPC D5 Dual Bay Reservoir/Pump Combo Windows 7 Corsair AX860i NZXT Switch 810  
  hide details  
Reply
Smoke and Mirrors
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3770K  Z77 MPower (MS-7751) MSI R7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
Avexir MSI Z77 MPOWER Optimized DDR3 2400 OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-256G 2.5" 256GB SATA I... Koolance CPU-380I Water Block XSPC EX360 Radiator  
CoolingOSPowerCase
XSPC D5 Dual Bay Reservoir/Pump Combo Windows 7 Corsair AX860i NZXT Switch 810  
  hide details  
Reply
post #12582 of 33576
At least it is covered under warranty. I had a PSU die on me a few weeks ago and it sucked. Antec cross shipped a better model for free. If you unhappy maybe you can return it since it is so new.
Edited by valkeriefire - 2/24/13 at 2:49pm
 
Mac Mini 2012
(7 items)
 
SOLD and retired.
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4770k@4.5 1.25v Gigabyte GA-Z87N-Wifi EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX Samsung 1600 2x4 @ 2133 10,10,10,28,T1 1.5v 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 256gb SSD OS X Crucial MX200 512GB Windows Corsair H105 Windows 8.1 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
OS X 10.9.3 Mavericks Dell S2417DG Gsync TN Coolermaster Quickfire TK Mechanical Seasonic SS-760XP2 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Prodigy ITX Logitech G502 Asus U3 USB  Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Headphones 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7-3615qm @ 2.3 - 3.3ghz Intel HD4000 8GB Kingston 1600 Crucial MX100 512 Fusion'd to a 500GB Seagate H... 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Hybrid 500GB OS X 10.9 Apple Cinema Display 27" 2560x1440 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k @ 4.6ghz 1.272v  Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H SLi EVGA GTX Titan SC Samsung 1600 2x4 @ 2133 10,10,10,28,T1 1.5v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 830 256gb SSD Windows 8.1 Crucial M4 128GB SSD OS X Mavericks Seagate Momentus Hybid 500gb SAMSUNG DVD-RW 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
XSPC Raystorm CPU Block & Titan Razor Blocks XSPC AX240 Push/Pull&Alphacool UT60 280 Push XPSC D5 Dual Bay Pump/Res Windows 7 & OS X Mavericks 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2713hm 2560x1440 Coolermaster Quickfire TK Red EVGA G2 1000w Fractal Arc Midi R2 
Audio
Asus Xonar U3 w/Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Headph... 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Mac Mini 2012
(7 items)
 
SOLD and retired.
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4770k@4.5 1.25v Gigabyte GA-Z87N-Wifi EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX Samsung 1600 2x4 @ 2133 10,10,10,28,T1 1.5v 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 256gb SSD OS X Crucial MX200 512GB Windows Corsair H105 Windows 8.1 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
OS X 10.9.3 Mavericks Dell S2417DG Gsync TN Coolermaster Quickfire TK Mechanical Seasonic SS-760XP2 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Prodigy ITX Logitech G502 Asus U3 USB  Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Headphones 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7-3615qm @ 2.3 - 3.3ghz Intel HD4000 8GB Kingston 1600 Crucial MX100 512 Fusion'd to a 500GB Seagate H... 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Hybrid 500GB OS X 10.9 Apple Cinema Display 27" 2560x1440 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k @ 4.6ghz 1.272v  Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H SLi EVGA GTX Titan SC Samsung 1600 2x4 @ 2133 10,10,10,28,T1 1.5v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 830 256gb SSD Windows 8.1 Crucial M4 128GB SSD OS X Mavericks Seagate Momentus Hybid 500gb SAMSUNG DVD-RW 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
XSPC Raystorm CPU Block & Titan Razor Blocks XSPC AX240 Push/Pull&Alphacool UT60 280 Push XPSC D5 Dual Bay Pump/Res Windows 7 & OS X Mavericks 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2713hm 2560x1440 Coolermaster Quickfire TK Red EVGA G2 1000w Fractal Arc Midi R2 
Audio
Asus Xonar U3 w/Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Headph... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12583 of 33576
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post

Well folks, I'm dead in the water. After two months of intermittent power supply shutdowns, it finally failed. The frustrating thing is that I had no idea if the shutdowns were caused by the power supply, motherboard, or a cable. The first time it happened was right after delidding my CPU which led me to believe I had bent some pins or something on the motherboard. Then everything was fine and it ran for two weeks straight without a failure. Now it has gotten so bad, that my computer will only stay running for 5-minutes without the supply shutting down with a red fault light. It even fails self test with nothing connected, so there is no doubt in my mind that it is the power supply.

The thing that really upsets me though, is that I paid a premium for my power supply. It is a Corsair AX860i Platinum power supply with a 7-year warranty. I do not expect it to fail within the first month. Grrrrr! doh.gif I wish I had a Seasonic.

To me that sounds CPU power related - but I'm sure you are passed that stage of checking.
Thus I would assume, like you, that it is indeed PSU related.


You aren't the only one that had troubles with their PSU.
Swag himself, also had his Corsair PSU short his whole rig out.
He had the AX850

I myself have the AX750. I'm somewhat not surprised if my PSU did something to my motherboard, and thus the DRAM led is now showing up.
As I remember Valguar helping me "ground" the PSU, in order to get it to boot up at all.
I thought I screwed my system by de-lidding, little did I know that had nothing to do with it.

I even treated my i7 like "junk" after I had the DRAM led errors. To some extent I'm slapping myself for treating my i7 like that, as it wasn't ever at fault -> by that I mean AFTER de-lidding, thinking I screwed up my CPU - as I scratched the PCB.
post #12584 of 33576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Dubbed View Post

To me that sounds CPU power related - but I'm sure you are passed that stage of checking.
Thus I would assume, like you, that it is indeed PSU related.


You aren't the only one that had troubles with their PSU.
Swag himself, also had his Corsair PSU short his whole rig out.
He had the AX850

I myself have the AX750. I'm somewhat not surprised if my PSU did something to my motherboard, and thus the DRAM led is now showing up.
As I remember Valguar helping me "ground" the PSU, in order to get it to boot up at all.
I thought I screwed my system by de-lidding, little did I know that had nothing to do with it.

I even treated my i7 like "junk" after I had the DRAM led errors. To some extent I'm slapping myself for treating my i7 like that, as it wasn't ever at fault -> by that I mean AFTER de-lidding, thinking I screwed up my CPU - as I scratched the PCB.

Yikes. Corsairs showing problems now? At what age? I have an hx850 hoping it is true that the hx are actually made a bit better than the ax even though the ax are gold. Am I crazy or has someone else seen that the hx is a bit better somewhere?
post #12585 of 33576
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronicfx View Post

Yikes. Corsairs showing problems now? At what age? I have an hx850 hoping it is true that the hx are actually made a bit better than the ax even though the ax are gold. Am I crazy or has someone else seen that the hx is a bit better somewhere?

The HX is similar, if not identical to the AX, apart from being silver and not gold rated (fully) - quick google search:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1359672/corsair-duel-new-hx750-gold-vs-older-ax750
post #12586 of 33576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Dubbed View Post

The HX is similar, if not identical to the AX, apart from being silver and not gold rated (fully) - quick google search:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1359672/corsair-duel-new-hx750-gold-vs-older-ax750

Look at narmour 3 posts down:

I thought I remember reading in here a few times that the HX series had better components. That's why I went from a HX750 to another HX series - I could be very wrong but I'm sure there was a reason as to why I chose the HX over the AX series.


Yay! I'm not crazy!
post #12587 of 33576
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronicfx View Post

Yikes. Corsairs showing problems now? At what age? I have an hx850 hoping it is true that the hx are actually made a bit better than the ax even though the ax are gold. Am I crazy or has someone else seen that the hx is a bit better somewhere?

The older AX and the HX are very similar and both are manufactured by Seasonic. The new AXi are manufactured by Flextronics.

Your HX will probably last forever, or at least 10 years and then PC's will be 5x more powerful and use 1/5th of the power and you will go for like a 350w Gold PSU to run 4 GPU's and a 16 core CPU OC'd to 5GHz, lol.
post #12588 of 33576
My hx1000 went about a year before the 24pin atx failed, cut that out & soldered in another & it still runs, although not as strong as it used to.
Last time I was testing power draw with a 2600k & 2 x 680s I got a full system shutdown when it pulled a little over 1000w from the wall.

I still want one of those single rail ax1200 or 1200i, awesome for gpu benching!
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 990x/3930k/3770k/4770k GB x58a-OC/Asus RIVE/x79 gd65/z77 mpower/z77 MV... gtx480s/gtx580s/7970s/680s/Titan Hyper/PSC/BBSE/Hynix/Samsung 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
HDDs/SSDs DVD Air/water/phase/copper pot Windowz 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
samsung 2320 Razer Lycosa ax1200 carboard box 
Mouse
Trackball 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 990x/3930k/3770k/4770k GB x58a-OC/Asus RIVE/x79 gd65/z77 mpower/z77 MV... gtx480s/gtx580s/7970s/680s/Titan Hyper/PSC/BBSE/Hynix/Samsung 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
HDDs/SSDs DVD Air/water/phase/copper pot Windowz 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
samsung 2320 Razer Lycosa ax1200 carboard box 
Mouse
Trackball 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12589 of 33576
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickg1 View Post

The older AX and the HX are very similar and both are manufactured by Seasonic. The new AXi are manufactured by Flextronics.

I didn't know that. I guess that explains it then.

Something else I noticed with my AXi... it comes with monitoring software and you can see power in vs. power out and it will even calculate efficiency. Most of the time it is above 90%, but during IBT, it swings down to 68%. I wouldn't think that is normal.
Smoke and Mirrors
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3770K  Z77 MPower (MS-7751) MSI R7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
Avexir MSI Z77 MPOWER Optimized DDR3 2400 OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-256G 2.5" 256GB SATA I... Koolance CPU-380I Water Block XSPC EX360 Radiator  
CoolingOSPowerCase
XSPC D5 Dual Bay Reservoir/Pump Combo Windows 7 Corsair AX860i NZXT Switch 810  
  hide details  
Reply
Smoke and Mirrors
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3770K  Z77 MPower (MS-7751) MSI R7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
Avexir MSI Z77 MPOWER Optimized DDR3 2400 OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-256G 2.5" 256GB SATA I... Koolance CPU-380I Water Block XSPC EX360 Radiator  
CoolingOSPowerCase
XSPC D5 Dual Bay Reservoir/Pump Combo Windows 7 Corsair AX860i NZXT Switch 810  
  hide details  
Reply
post #12590 of 33576
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post

I didn't know that. I guess that explains it then.

Something else I noticed with my AXi... it comes with monitoring software and you can see power in vs. power out and it will even calculate efficiency. Most of the time it is above 90%, but during IBT, it swings down to 68%. I wouldn't think that is normal.

No that would be considered a defective unit and Corsair would not have a problem sending you a new one free of charge.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › [Official] Delidded Club / Guide