Originally Posted by Joa3d43
The pressure on the 'naked' CPU die is key also per your posts...as mentioned in another response I wrote earlier, I have read in some Euro sites that some folks have been able to run 'naked die / IHS-free' without
removing the ILM...but they too were using a custom back plate and - this might be the difference - had a thin piece of copper the shape of the die in between (it was actually a temp sensor as far as I recall)...another interesting solution involved a slight machining of the water-block's outside rim, so to speak, taking off a few mm so that the water block could rest on the LM but had its 'inner parts' protrude just a bit - but that takes CNC equipment and skills (the same chap in Germany also had a small water jet setup he used to carve himself a water jacket for his GPUs
doesn't everybody ?
That all sounds way more complicated than it need be. It's really not too difficult removing the ILM, just be sure to keep the cover on the socket so you don't accidentally drop one of the screws in there. Like I said, the EK backplate is perfect for this and doesn't cost much. The only problem I had the first time was in being overly cautious, I did not screw the waterblock down far enough. The CPU wasn't making good electrical contact with the socket, and I got a post code of 55 if memory serves me right. Now that I have done it several times, I can not think of any reason to go back to using a lid. I am probably applying just as much pressure to the die with my waterblock as the pressure applied by the IHS sitting directly on the die. It is so easy now to take it apart and put it back together. Maybe sonda5 can also weigh in.
Just as a footnote, I upgraded the tubing and compression fittings to 1/2 ID, 3/4 OD last weekend. I don't have much patience when it comes to mechanical things, and the tubing was a little tight to slide over the fittings not to mention trying to get my big hands in there to tighten down the compression nuts. I really had to manhandle it to get it on, and have bloody knuckles as proof. My waterblock was mounted to the die at the time, which in hindsight, was probably not a good idea. I was really surprised that it booted right up without any problem.