Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › [Official] Delidded Club / Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Delidded Club / Guide - Page 131

post #1301 of 33576
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermitmaster View Post

I've read through about half of the thread, but there is a ton to read. I just have one question: Has anyone tried lapping or removing material in any way from the bottom of the IHS to reduce the gap between the die and the IHS? I would think reducing that gap further would be highly beneficial to temperatures.

The main thing that causes the IHS to rise above the die, and cause a gap, is the black glue Intel used to secure the IHS to the PCB. Once all the black glue is removed the IHS should sit on the die without touching the PCB already. You should then be able to spin the IHS on top of the die without contacting the PCB like this:



(Pic thanks to VonDutch!)

I did lap the inside of my IHS to try to make it flatter and remove the convex problem which that side of my IHS had - so it now sits better and more flat onto the die. Temps are much better for me since lapping the top and bottom of my IHS ~12C. Overall temp gain from delidding and lapping IHS is 26C.
Edited by PCWargamer - 10/21/12 at 7:05pm
3770K Gaming Sys
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770K 4.5GHz Asus Sabertooth Z77 EVGA Gtx560ti 448 FTW (2x SLI) 16GB Crucial Ballistic Tactical 1866 9-9-9-24 1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
120GB SanDisk Extreme SSD  1TB WD Black Caviar  2TB Seagate Barracuda TSSTcorp cd/dvd/bd 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Coursair H80 Win7 64 Acer 27" Wide LCD HD Logitech Black Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Coursair AX850 Cooler Master HAF 922  Kensington Yep! w/wristpad! 
AudioAudio
Xonar DX 7.1 PCIe Logitech Z906 5.1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K 4.5GHZ 24/7 Ausu P8Z68-M Pro ATI 5770 Kingston Blue 1333 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Sandisk Extream 120GB SSD 750GB HDD CD/DVD Cooler Master 212 EVO 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 64bit 22" Flat Screen (non-wide) Yes! Corsair GS600 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master 912 Of course! nope intergrated & inexpensive speakers... 
  hide details  
Reply
3770K Gaming Sys
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770K 4.5GHz Asus Sabertooth Z77 EVGA Gtx560ti 448 FTW (2x SLI) 16GB Crucial Ballistic Tactical 1866 9-9-9-24 1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
120GB SanDisk Extreme SSD  1TB WD Black Caviar  2TB Seagate Barracuda TSSTcorp cd/dvd/bd 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Coursair H80 Win7 64 Acer 27" Wide LCD HD Logitech Black Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Coursair AX850 Cooler Master HAF 922  Kensington Yep! w/wristpad! 
AudioAudio
Xonar DX 7.1 PCIe Logitech Z906 5.1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K 4.5GHZ 24/7 Ausu P8Z68-M Pro ATI 5770 Kingston Blue 1333 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Sandisk Extream 120GB SSD 750GB HDD CD/DVD Cooler Master 212 EVO 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 64bit 22" Flat Screen (non-wide) Yes! Corsair GS600 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master 912 Of course! nope intergrated & inexpensive speakers... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1302 of 33576
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCWargamer View Post

The main thing that causes the IHS to rise above the die, and cause a gap, is the black glue Intel used to secure the IHS to the PCB. Once all the black glue is removed the IHS should sit on the die without touching the PCB already. You should then be able to spin the IHS on top of the die without contacting the PCB like this: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
(Pic thanks to VonDutch!)
I did lap the inside of my IHS to try to make it flatter and remove the convex problem which that side of my IHS had - so it now sits better and more flat onto the die. Temps are much better for me since lapping the top and bottom of my IHS ~12C. Overall temp gain from delidding and lapping IHS is 27C.

12c ? wow thats a big difference. nice job! what did you use for lapping 1000 1500 2000? guess I'm gonna lap mine. lol
post #1303 of 33576
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtuning View Post

12c ? wow thats a big difference. nice job! what did you use for lapping 1000 1500 2000? guess I'm gonna lap mine. lol

Yeah. Much more difference than I thought it would make when I decided to try it. I expected ~5C, not 12C. thumb.gif

As I noted, turned out my IHS was concave on the top and convex on the bottom so the lapping/sanding actually made it flat on both sides. Big help. smile.gif

I went with 400>600>800>1000. I have some 1500, but I have read that you do not get much of a difference after 800, so my fingers were tired and I skipped the 1500. biggrin.gif

I'd say it is well worth trying....
3770K Gaming Sys
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770K 4.5GHz Asus Sabertooth Z77 EVGA Gtx560ti 448 FTW (2x SLI) 16GB Crucial Ballistic Tactical 1866 9-9-9-24 1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
120GB SanDisk Extreme SSD  1TB WD Black Caviar  2TB Seagate Barracuda TSSTcorp cd/dvd/bd 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Coursair H80 Win7 64 Acer 27" Wide LCD HD Logitech Black Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Coursair AX850 Cooler Master HAF 922  Kensington Yep! w/wristpad! 
AudioAudio
Xonar DX 7.1 PCIe Logitech Z906 5.1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K 4.5GHZ 24/7 Ausu P8Z68-M Pro ATI 5770 Kingston Blue 1333 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Sandisk Extream 120GB SSD 750GB HDD CD/DVD Cooler Master 212 EVO 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 64bit 22" Flat Screen (non-wide) Yes! Corsair GS600 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master 912 Of course! nope intergrated & inexpensive speakers... 
  hide details  
Reply
3770K Gaming Sys
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770K 4.5GHz Asus Sabertooth Z77 EVGA Gtx560ti 448 FTW (2x SLI) 16GB Crucial Ballistic Tactical 1866 9-9-9-24 1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
120GB SanDisk Extreme SSD  1TB WD Black Caviar  2TB Seagate Barracuda TSSTcorp cd/dvd/bd 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Coursair H80 Win7 64 Acer 27" Wide LCD HD Logitech Black Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Coursair AX850 Cooler Master HAF 922  Kensington Yep! w/wristpad! 
AudioAudio
Xonar DX 7.1 PCIe Logitech Z906 5.1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K 4.5GHZ 24/7 Ausu P8Z68-M Pro ATI 5770 Kingston Blue 1333 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Sandisk Extream 120GB SSD 750GB HDD CD/DVD Cooler Master 212 EVO 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 64bit 22" Flat Screen (non-wide) Yes! Corsair GS600 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master 912 Of course! nope intergrated & inexpensive speakers... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1304 of 33576
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCWargamer View Post

Yeah. Much more difference than I thought it would make when I decided to try it. I expected ~5C, not 12C. thumb.gif
As I noted, turned out my IHS was concave on the top and convex on the bottom so the lapping/sanding actually made it flat on both sides. Big help. smile.gif
I went with 400>600>800>1000. I have some 1500, but I have read that you do not get much of a difference after 800, so my fingers were tired and I skipped the 1500. biggrin.gif
I'd say it is well worth trying....

Man if I can drop another 5c, I'd be stoked. I will say I'll expect 2-3 c which still would be great. should just buy a copper square that has been machined lapped.. and replace the intel ihs....
post #1305 of 33576
Quote:
Originally Posted by feniks View Post

he he, thanks, I am really happy how it worked out finally ... not to mention that I was totally drunk with Heineken when re-deliding this cpu at like 2am or so tongue.gif
one thing, I had to do was to use older BIOS on my MVE, the latest 1309 has some bugs in CPU overcurrent protection area and didn't allow me to go above 4.9GHz, while with older BIOS I could boot up to 5.1GHz no trouble ... well, it took hell of vcore (1.63v under light load), so my chip is not too good per high clocking ... couldn't do 5.2GHz at higher volts, because BIOS was forcing me back to configuration with a message "CPU overvoltage error" LOL!
as per my former 5GHz at 1.46v under load, it wasn't stable when I re-run IBT 10 rounds in standard mode and eventually it took 1.512v vcore under load to make it fully stable under IBT Max mode, good enough I'd say smile.gif
5.1GHz booted to Windows with no errors (and no more WHEA warnings in logs while loading Windows) with a lot more vcore ... however I was using Ultra High 75% LLC with offsets, if that matters.

Most of us who are hitting 5.4 and higher are booting into windows with our reg 24/7 OC, and using what ever OC program to raise it. I'm pretty sure most if not all on Air/H2O would have trouble booting successfully with a high overclock. Mine did boot into 5.2 I think, but it was bad high VCORE to keep it stable in Boot up. thumb.gif
post #1306 of 33576
Thread Starter 
Okay I'm FINALLY back from work...and holy crap we make this thread move lol. I'll be ordering LP this week and getting some sand paper 500<1000<1500<2000 most likely for the smoothness.

@PC How about we do this for the format

For the submitting process of your temps use the following rules.

1. Get to 4.5 Ghz
2. Run Intel Burn Test in standard setup (this will always appear as is when you double click or start the program)
3. Run for 10 times (Also set as the default when program is started)
4. Report your HIGHEST temp doesn't matter what core it is reported from.
5. You can also show your temp drops but ONLY from the HOTTEST core to the HOTTEST core. (if not available refer to #4)
6. Ohh! If you have Lapped (sanded) your IHS please provide this information also. (Even what grains you used will be very welcomed)

Thanks again! This may be a ridiculous amount of info to be provided to join, but this is for research to see what we can show Intel eventually and how badly they messed up. (Yes I'm serious abort this part)

This is also for people looking into Delidding and seeing just how crazy their temps can decrease by Delidding.

Thanks yet again!
post #1307 of 33576
Thread Starter 
Also if I miss people's updates gonna read the last 6 pages lol just remind me on here
post #1308 of 33576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgaur View Post

Okay I'm FINALLY back from work...and holy crap we make this thread move lol. I'll be ordering LP this week and getting some sand paper 500<1000<1500<2000 most likely for the smoothness.
@PC How about we do this for the format
For the submitting process of your temps use the following rules.
1. Get to 4.5 Ghz
2. Run Intel Burn Test in standard setup (this will always appear as is when you double click or start the program)
3. Run for 10 times (Also set as the default when program is started)
4. Report your HIGHEST temp doesn't matter what core it is reported from.
5. You can also show your temp drops but ONLY from the HOTTEST core to the HOTTEST core. (if not available refer to #4)
6. Ohh! If you have Lapped (sanded) your IHS please provide this information also. (Even what grains you used will be very welcomed)
Thanks again! This may be a ridiculous amount of info to be provided to join, but this is for research to see what we can show Intel eventually and how badly they messed up. (Yes I'm serious abort this part)
This is also for people looking into Delidding and seeing just how crazy their temps can decrease by Delidding.
Thanks yet again!

800 --> 1500 --> 2000 >-- 2500

And using that method my temp dropped 35c lol
Edited by Hokies83 - 10/21/12 at 7:36pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k 5.2ghz  GIGABYTE G1 Assassin Sniper 3 7950 with Alphacool block 7950 w/ Alphacool Block 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
7950 w/ Alphacool block G.SKILL Trident X 2500mhz 2x4gb SanDisk Extreme 240gb sata III 6gbs x5 SwiftTech Apongee Drive II 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Monsta 360 86mm thick rad X 4 MCP 35X Pump x2 400ML Frozen Q Fusion res x3 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
CatLeap 2560x1440 + Acer hn274h bmiiid 120hz 3D Logitech G19 Corsair Ax1200 watts  Mountain Mods Ascension 
MouseAudio
Logitech M570 Pioneer SP-BS21 Bookshelf Loudspeakers + Lepai Amp 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k 5.2ghz  GIGABYTE G1 Assassin Sniper 3 7950 with Alphacool block 7950 w/ Alphacool Block 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
7950 w/ Alphacool block G.SKILL Trident X 2500mhz 2x4gb SanDisk Extreme 240gb sata III 6gbs x5 SwiftTech Apongee Drive II 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Monsta 360 86mm thick rad X 4 MCP 35X Pump x2 400ML Frozen Q Fusion res x3 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
CatLeap 2560x1440 + Acer hn274h bmiiid 120hz 3D Logitech G19 Corsair Ax1200 watts  Mountain Mods Ascension 
MouseAudio
Logitech M570 Pioneer SP-BS21 Bookshelf Loudspeakers + Lepai Amp 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1309 of 33576
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokies83 View Post

800 --> 1500 --> 2000 >-- 2500
And using that method my temp dropped 35c lol

Thanks I'll use those. how hard was it to lap the inside of the IHS
post #1310 of 33576
Easy outside is more important i do not think the inside does anything.

Just lay sand paper flat and put some water on it.. to make it perfect shiney your gonna need a piece of leather or something Car buffer etc lol.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k 5.2ghz  GIGABYTE G1 Assassin Sniper 3 7950 with Alphacool block 7950 w/ Alphacool Block 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
7950 w/ Alphacool block G.SKILL Trident X 2500mhz 2x4gb SanDisk Extreme 240gb sata III 6gbs x5 SwiftTech Apongee Drive II 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Monsta 360 86mm thick rad X 4 MCP 35X Pump x2 400ML Frozen Q Fusion res x3 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
CatLeap 2560x1440 + Acer hn274h bmiiid 120hz 3D Logitech G19 Corsair Ax1200 watts  Mountain Mods Ascension 
MouseAudio
Logitech M570 Pioneer SP-BS21 Bookshelf Loudspeakers + Lepai Amp 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k 5.2ghz  GIGABYTE G1 Assassin Sniper 3 7950 with Alphacool block 7950 w/ Alphacool Block 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
7950 w/ Alphacool block G.SKILL Trident X 2500mhz 2x4gb SanDisk Extreme 240gb sata III 6gbs x5 SwiftTech Apongee Drive II 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Monsta 360 86mm thick rad X 4 MCP 35X Pump x2 400ML Frozen Q Fusion res x3 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
CatLeap 2560x1440 + Acer hn274h bmiiid 120hz 3D Logitech G19 Corsair Ax1200 watts  Mountain Mods Ascension 
MouseAudio
Logitech M570 Pioneer SP-BS21 Bookshelf Loudspeakers + Lepai Amp 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › [Official] Delidded Club / Guide