Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › [Official] Delidded Club / Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Delidded Club / Guide - Page 1477

post #14761 of 33641
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkeriefire View Post

Wow, I finally got my CLU installed. My original de-lid was done with NH-H1 on the die, and Innovative Cooling Diamond (ICD) on the IHS. My original delid temps 78C, but overtime they have slowly crept up to 89C. This is still well below my non-delidded temps of 97C, but was not what I had hoped for.

After installing with CLU on the die and ICD on the IHS, my temps are down to 74C load. This is at 4.6ghz 1.296v load with 0.045v offset and a NH-D14 cooler. My case is a small Lian Li PC-A05, so it isn't exactly made for airflow (although I've done some mods to help with that).

Overall I am impressed with the CLU performance. The amount that comes in the tube is disappointing for the price.

Can you put CLU on the IHS? I read you shouldn't use CLU on an aluminum Heatsink. I don't know if my NH-D14 is aluminum or not. It looks like it, but it could be nickle plated copper.

Screen shots from today, same room same ambient temps...

Pre-CLU temps of 89C


CLU temps of 74C

...good to check re composition of the heatsink re aluminum as that is a definite 'no-no' with CL products (no problem with copper / nickel plated copper).

...I did run a test with MX4 vs CL-U on the IHS-to-water-block spot. In my case, CL-U beat MX4 by between 3C and 4C, noting that MX4 is pretty good anyhow, and probably easier to remove afterwards. Still, if you want to max your temp drop after delidding and have CL-U on the die, you might as well 'go for the whole enchilada' and apply CL-U on top of the IHS as well, once you confirmed its composition.
post #14762 of 33641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solonowarion View Post

Praying to the delid gods. Wish me luck.


good luck dude!
post #14763 of 33641
Well, when I get my Titan, it will be blockless until I can get an EK XXL true full cover block....

which means my 3770k will have to itself: EX360, RX240, RX120. Should I try for the elusive 5 gigglehurts? All rads are gasketed and fanned up with corsair SP-120 high performance fans.
Teatime
(14 items)
 
Epic $620 Build
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k Z170 Classified OG Titan x2 Trident V 3000 16gb 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
SM951 512 + 840Pro 256 + others Raystorm, PMP-500, EK-FCTitan x2, 10 fans of rad Win10 Pro x64  Multi ASUS PB278Q / 85Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Maxkeyboards x8 Purple Corsair AX1200i Enthoo Primo SE (Red) Logitech G502 
Mouse PadAudio
Desk TiHD + DT770Pro/250 +LDMkII 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ X6 ASUS M4A88T-M Sapphire HD 6870 G.SKILL Sniper LV 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Green 1TB Some LG Thing Hyper 212+ Win 7 Pro x64 
MonitorPowerCase
Samsung 173v Antec 430D Rosewill mATX Cheapie 
  hide details  
Reply
Teatime
(14 items)
 
Epic $620 Build
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k Z170 Classified OG Titan x2 Trident V 3000 16gb 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
SM951 512 + 840Pro 256 + others Raystorm, PMP-500, EK-FCTitan x2, 10 fans of rad Win10 Pro x64  Multi ASUS PB278Q / 85Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Maxkeyboards x8 Purple Corsair AX1200i Enthoo Primo SE (Red) Logitech G502 
Mouse PadAudio
Desk TiHD + DT770Pro/250 +LDMkII 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ X6 ASUS M4A88T-M Sapphire HD 6870 G.SKILL Sniper LV 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Green 1TB Some LG Thing Hyper 212+ Win 7 Pro x64 
MonitorPowerCase
Samsung 173v Antec 430D Rosewill mATX Cheapie 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14764 of 33641
I really do appreciate you guys taking the time to give your condolences. It truly does mean a lot. So I'm going to have to go to a wake and all that good stuff sometime this week. Still think I'm going to order my 820 case sometime this week. This community is really amazing and I'm glad to have found it. Not going to get too into detail, but I'm recovering from drug and alcohol addiction and have been clean for almost a year now and building this computer and talking to you guys about overclocking and all of this interesting stuff has been a huge part of my sobriety. It sucks tthat I have to deal with a death, but at least I can actually mourn and deal with those feelings now so I am really grateful for that.
post #14765 of 33641
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavageTheEarth View Post

I really do appreciate you guys taking the time to give your condolences. It truly does mean a lot. So I'm going to have to go to a wake and all that good stuff sometime this week. Still think I'm going to order my 820 case sometime this week. This community is really amazing and I'm glad to have found it. Not going to get too into detail, but I'm recovering from drug and alcohol addiction and have been clean for almost a year now and building this computer and talking to you guys about overclocking and all of this interesting stuff has been a huge part of my sobriety. It sucks tthat I have to deal with a death, but at least I can actually mourn and deal with those feelings now so I am really grateful for that.

Be very careful. Hardware can become your new addiction. While it might not kill you, it can certainly kill your wallet.

I also had similar problems in the past with drugs an alcohol. Now my main hobby is computers, and I took it a little too far. My GF and some of my online friends had to show me the errors of my ways. I still slip up from time to time, like upgrading for no reason or foolish spending. Only buy something if you really need it and never let a sale or a good deal get the best of you. Before you buy a bunch of items ask yourself if you really need to upgrade or if it's just your addictive personality.

Shopping is also a common addiction, whether it be in a mall, or online with computer parts. Just be careful.
post #14766 of 33641
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickg1 View Post

Be very careful. Hardware can become your new addiction. While it might not kill you, it can certainly kill your wallet.

I also had similar problems in the past with drugs an alcohol. Now my main hobby is computers, and I took it a little too far. My GF and some of my online friends had to show me the errors of my ways. I still slip up from time to time, like upgrading for no reason or foolish spending. Only buy something if you really need it and never let a sale or a good deal get the best of you. Before you buy a bunch of items ask yourself if you really need to upgrade or if it's just your addictive personality.

Shopping is also a common addiction, whether it be in a mall, or online with computer parts. Just be careful.

Yea I definetly agree that it could easily become my new addiction.... and it sort of is, but I made a deal with myself that I have to put a certain amount of money in the bank each week and once I have enough money saved up from the leftover money in my checks that is when I can buy that part that I want. And I have been doing that pretty successfully. Once I order my case I am going to have pretty much everything I need until I save u_ enough for a decent water loop, but that will probably be a year or so. I'm learning this strange thing.... its called moderation.
Edited by RavageTheEarth - 3/24/13 at 4:35pm
post #14767 of 33641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joa3d43 View Post

...good to check re composition of the heatsink re aluminum as that is a definite 'no-no' with CL products (no problem with copper / nickel plated copper).

...I did run a test with MX4 vs CL-U on the IHS-to-water-block spot. In my case, CL-U beat MX4 by between 3C and 4C, noting that MX4 is pretty good anyhow, and probably easier to remove afterwards. Still, if you want to max your temp drop after delidding and have CL-U on the die, you might as well 'go for the whole enchilada' and apply CL-U on top of the IHS as well, once you confirmed its composition.

I did as you suggested, I checked the composition and the base plate of the NH-D14 is nickle clad copper (source) Based on that I applied CLU to the IHS aswell and I got the 3-4C drop you mentioned vs my ICD. I reran the same IBT and got 71C when I had gotten 74-75C previously.

 
Mac Mini 2012
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-7700k 5ghz@1.36v Asrock Z170 Gaming ITX Fatality MSI GTX 1080 Aero OC with Artic Accelero III GSkill 3000mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Plextor NVMe 1TB MP8E SSD CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240mm  Windows 10 Dell S2417DG GSYNC 24" 2560x1440 165hz  
PowerCaseAudioAudio
Corsair SFX450 Ncase M1 Asus Xonar U2 ATH-AD700 Headphones 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7-3615qm @ 2.3 - 3.3ghz Intel HD4000 8GB Kingston 1600 Crucial MX100 512 Fusion'd to a 500GB Seagate H... 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Hybrid 500GB OS X 10.9 Apple Cinema Display 27" 2560x1440 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4770k@4.5 1.25v Gigabyte GA-Z87N-Wifi EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX Samsung 1600 2x4 @ 2133 10,10,10,28,T1 1.5v 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 256gb SSD OS X Crucial MX200 512GB Windows Corsair H105 Windows 8.1 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
OS X 10.9.3 Mavericks Dell S2417DG Gsync TN Coolermaster Quickfire TK Mechanical Seasonic SS-760XP2 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Prodigy ITX Logitech G502 Asus U3 USB  Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Mac Mini 2012
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-7700k 5ghz@1.36v Asrock Z170 Gaming ITX Fatality MSI GTX 1080 Aero OC with Artic Accelero III GSkill 3000mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Plextor NVMe 1TB MP8E SSD CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240mm  Windows 10 Dell S2417DG GSYNC 24" 2560x1440 165hz  
PowerCaseAudioAudio
Corsair SFX450 Ncase M1 Asus Xonar U2 ATH-AD700 Headphones 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7-3615qm @ 2.3 - 3.3ghz Intel HD4000 8GB Kingston 1600 Crucial MX100 512 Fusion'd to a 500GB Seagate H... 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Hybrid 500GB OS X 10.9 Apple Cinema Display 27" 2560x1440 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4770k@4.5 1.25v Gigabyte GA-Z87N-Wifi EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX Samsung 1600 2x4 @ 2133 10,10,10,28,T1 1.5v 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 256gb SSD OS X Crucial MX200 512GB Windows Corsair H105 Windows 8.1 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
OS X 10.9.3 Mavericks Dell S2417DG Gsync TN Coolermaster Quickfire TK Mechanical Seasonic SS-760XP2 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Prodigy ITX Logitech G502 Asus U3 USB  Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14768 of 33641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solonowarion View Post

Praying to the delid gods. Wish me luck.

Good luck man, remember to face the slick frictionless side of the blade down and you should be smooth sailing.

edit: Meh, by frictionless I simply mean the side that doesnt try and grab hold, or cut, when sliding it across paper, plastic, etc. I felt it was key know this, and probably one of the greatest measures to prevent nicking a trace.
Edited by jdm317 - 3/24/13 at 4:39pm
post #14769 of 33641
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkeriefire View Post

I did as you suggested, I checked the composition and the base plate of the NH-D14 is nickle clad copper (source) Based on that I applied CLU to the IHS aswell and I got the 3-4C drop you mentioned vs my ICD. I reran the same IBT and got 71C when I had gotten 74-75C previously.


That looks good. Pretty much what I get at that voltage with CLP. thumb.gif
Edited by jdm317 - 3/24/13 at 4:44pm
post #14770 of 33641
Why did I wait so long to do this! Time for 5 ghz!









Took about 5 minutes to get the head off. The heat gun helped a lot with getting the glue off.

Once I had the corner in I just kept a lot of pressure on the blade. Pushing down so it would force the blade on the IHS. I ground the corners off of the blade but it was really unnecessary. It cut through the glue like butter. Only had to rock back and forth a few times for each corner.















So far its looking like aprox 20 degrees difference. Will get back when I have more concrete results.
Edited by Solonowarion - 3/24/13 at 4:48pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › [Official] Delidded Club / Guide