Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › [Official] Delidded Club / Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Delidded Club / Guide - Page 1508

post #15071 of 33567
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonD View Post

Too many posts to dig through... (Though I made it through a few hundred!)

Has anyone tried direct water-cooling of the die?

This would have to be a (Negative pressure) design. {Sucking water through, as opposed to trying to push it through.} I say this because the setup would require placing the water-cover directly mounted onto the PCB, minus the contact plate. The negative pressure would also ensure that any possible "boiling bubbles", would be evacuated. As opposed to a positive pressure system, which would never push bubbles out, they would simply collect and twirl. The negative pressure is important, because it would not require massive pressure to hold the cover onto the PCB, as it would have a natural suction-cup effect to assist its grip. Thus, also allowing you to completely silicone the whole PCB/Water-cover assembly too.

I imagine this could be done with a modification to the original cover, if it were to be "hammered" into a slight dome-shape over the die, and connectors being soldered on each side for the water-inlet and water-outlet.

I am not talking about uber-chilling it down to zero... simply room-temp regulated water temps, or a standard setup with a simple radiator and a reservoir.

I know that the components on a GPU (the surface-mount resistors) are all protected by a thin layer of epoxy, as I see everyone smearing the electrically conductive thermal paste all over the components, without harming the function. So I imagine this could also be extended to the GPU as-well. All the GPU's I have seen, have no covers over the die.

Anyone brave enough to try it? (Or oil-cooled, if you prefer. The electronic mineral-oil found in microwave capacitors is perfect for this type of cooling, and is non-conductive, as water potentially is.)

Me too stooped to understand all of those intelligent words (new to water cooling), but I would like to say welcome to the forum! Most people are smarter than I thumb.gif
post #15072 of 33567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joa3d43 View Post

...on the vise+hammer, I am wondering whether you should use a heat-gun first re. the silicon...other than that, the only thing that worries me is that the IHS hits the die when it flies off

...on the vid cards, I have a unique problem...per earlier posts, I now have two ROG boards (MVE, RampIVE)...I also have a friend who lives a floor below me who has a new software company involved in building software for rendering for 4K monitors...as such, he currently has 28 boxes of Gigabyte 7970ies behind the couch, awaiting deployment in the render farm...two per machine but NOT in CF to mimic 4K

...that gives me an idea to try a few out (bin them biggrin.gif) on the second mobo...fortunately /unfortunately, I'm still waiting for the 3970x to arrive so I have a few more days to ponder this predicament....though I could just pull the 670ies for a bit over Eastern...oh dear headscratch.gif

I feel like it wouldn't be a good idea to use a heat gun because I think that a big part of that working is having the glue nice and dry. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that is my insight on this.
post #15073 of 33567
Anyone have the dimensions of the 3770k die? By using pixel-counts and estimation on the socket spec, I think a 1x1 shim would cover the whole die.

EDIT: Nevermind, found the dimensions are well under an inch.

Silver shim ahoy:



Will be around 20% better performance than the stock IHS. It's a little bit thinner (around .2mm) and 7.5% better thermal conductivity (even more because IHS isn't pure copper)
Edited by dr/owned - 3/27/13 at 7:06pm
post #15074 of 33567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joa3d43 View Post

...He won't be home...my GF and I will buy him his favorite steak dinner and his favorite restaurant, along with some nice beers, and then I shall bring up my 'R+D' needs re temporary 7970ies biggrin.gif

Haha I wish I had a neighbor like that. My neighbors like staring out their windows angrily at anything that moves!
post #15075 of 33567
So I'm running 4.9Ghz at 1.46v for 8 tests. So far temps haven't gone over 60c. I tried 1.44v, but I got a WHEA code 19 so I bumped up the Vcore a little bit. Lets see how this goes!
post #15076 of 33567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joa3d43 View Post

...on the vise+hammer, I am wondering whether you should use a heat-gun first re. the silicon...other than that, the only thing that worries me is that the IHS hits the die when it flies off

...on the vid cards, I have a unique problem...per earlier posts, I now have two ROG boards (MVE, RampIVE)...I also have a friend who lives a floor below me who has a new software company involved in building software for rendering for 4K monitors...as such, he currently has 28 boxes of Gigabyte 7970ies behind the couch, awaiting deployment in the render farm...two per machine but NOT in CF to mimic 4K

...that gives me an idea to try a few out (bin them biggrin.gif) on the second mobo...fortunately /unfortunately, I'm still waiting for the 3970x to arrive so I have a few more days to ponder this predicament....though I could just pull the 670ies for a bit over Eastern...oh dear headscratch.gif

I've always wanted to do this, but funds...
I can only watch the guys at hwbot buying pallets of 3770k to bin through & dream.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavageTheEarth View Post

Haha I wish I had a neighbor like that. My neighbors like staring out their windows angrily at anything that moves!

Start working out in the front yard.

Naked.

Warming up with jumping jacks should have their curtains closed in no time.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 990x/3930k/3770k/4770k GB x58a-OC/Asus RIVE/x79 gd65/z77 mpower/z77 MV... gtx480s/gtx580s/7970s/680s/Titan Hyper/PSC/BBSE/Hynix/Samsung 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
HDDs/SSDs DVD Air/water/phase/copper pot Windowz 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
samsung 2320 Razer Lycosa ax1200 carboard box 
Mouse
Trackball 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 990x/3930k/3770k/4770k GB x58a-OC/Asus RIVE/x79 gd65/z77 mpower/z77 MV... gtx480s/gtx580s/7970s/680s/Titan Hyper/PSC/BBSE/Hynix/Samsung 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
HDDs/SSDs DVD Air/water/phase/copper pot Windowz 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
samsung 2320 Razer Lycosa ax1200 carboard box 
Mouse
Trackball 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15077 of 33567
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavageTheEarth View Post

So I'm running 4.9Ghz at 1.46v for 8 tests. So far temps haven't gone over 60c. I tried 1.44v, but I got a WHEA code 19 so I bumped up the Vcore a little bit. Lets see how this goes!
60c, you sure that is your highest max core temp while stress testing?
Ivy 5.0
(14 items)
 
Ivy 4.8
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k 5.0 24/7 Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 690 G.Skill Trident X 2400 (2x8gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Pioneer BD-RW Swiftech H220 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 x NEC 30" Logitech G15 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Switch 810 
MouseAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech G51 
  hide details  
Reply
Ivy 5.0
(14 items)
 
Ivy 4.8
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k 5.0 24/7 Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 690 G.Skill Trident X 2400 (2x8gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Pioneer BD-RW Swiftech H220 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 x NEC 30" Logitech G15 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Switch 810 
MouseAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech G51 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15078 of 33567
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanoldman View Post

If some is going to go the vise method, I would think that rotational torque would put far less stress on the pcb than the shear force created by a hammer blow. If the glue can be “knocked” off, one would surmise that it could be twisted off with less force.

The question is how to turn the pcb. A block wood with a pcb sized cutout would work, but that seems like too much trouble.

Interesting points...I'll give this some thought, and discuss it with my father-in-law. He has the toolset and expertise in handyman type jobs lol
post #15079 of 33567
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanlabrie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanoldman View Post

If some is going to go the vise method, I would think that rotational torque would put far less stress on the pcb than the shear force created by a hammer blow. If the glue can be “knocked” off, one would surmise that it could be twisted off with less force.

The question is how to turn the pcb. A block wood with a pcb sized cutout would work, but that seems like too much trouble.

Interesting points...I'll give this some thought, and discuss it with my father-in-law. He has the toolset and expertise in handyman type jobs lol

Saw this at home depot yesterday:

http://www.wood-carving-tools.com/wood-clamp-424.jpg

Seems like it could be used to grab the IHS and then you twist. PCB would have to be in a vise of some sort still.
post #15080 of 33567
Okay so I had a horrible idea that just may be crazy enough to work... and/or destroy your cpu, either one. I was thinking delid the CPU, channel a little area where you can fit cables for a temp sensor on the ihs, tape temp sensor under ihs near die, close it all up. This is totally hypothetical, I would never do this with a new processor, just wondering if that actually could work
My System
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 3570k ASRock z77 Extreme 4 Sapphire 7950 Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro Caviar Black 1TB Caviar Black 500GB Asus DVD+-RW 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Swiftech h220 XSPC EX120 EK Radeon HD 7970 Acrylic CSQ Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
QNIX QX2710 Acer G245HQ Sidewinder x4 SeaSonic S12D 850W Silver 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CoolerMaster HAF XB Razer Mamba 2012 SteelSeries QcK Asus Xonar DG 5.1 
Other
Hauppage Win-TV HVR 2250 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 3570k ASRock z77 Extreme 4 Sapphire 7950 Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro Caviar Black 1TB Caviar Black 500GB Asus DVD+-RW 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Swiftech h220 XSPC EX120 EK Radeon HD 7970 Acrylic CSQ Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
QNIX QX2710 Acer G245HQ Sidewinder x4 SeaSonic S12D 850W Silver 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CoolerMaster HAF XB Razer Mamba 2012 SteelSeries QcK Asus Xonar DG 5.1 
Other
Hauppage Win-TV HVR 2250 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › [Official] Delidded Club / Guide