Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › [Official] Delidded Club / Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Delidded Club / Guide - Page 1536

post #15351 of 33641
I realize I am not an HWBot pro and therefore my opinion is irrelevant, but since people have mentioned CLU needing to be sanded off, and others have mentioned lapping I am posting a few bits of info.

As to lapping, please don’t do it unless you are sure you need to after checking your IHS while mounted, my lengthy post on lapping is here:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1313179/official-delidded-ivy-bridge-club/13940#post_19519345

As to CLU, yes it become dry, hard, and acts like a light adhesive when it sets between two metal surfaces. In between your IHS and cooler it will dry over time and you will need to use a bit of force to pull them apart – no big deal just be aware of it. It will not dry on the die because it is not metal and it is easy to get it off. You will most like need to redo the die application any time you unclamp the chip from the mobo.

My previous post on CLU removal is here:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1313179/official-delidded-ivy-bridge-club/13230#post_19452973

And over the weekend I needed to completely remove CLU from a different cooler than the one pictured in my post linked above, and from the IHS. It takes only paper towels and metal polish, no sanding or using any abrasives of any kind, not even the included pad. It does takes time, but it can be completely removed with just the metal polish.

Here are the cooler and IHS after uninstalling them. The CLU is hard to the touch and rough to the feel:



Here they are after cleaning with metal polish and then alcohol to finish the cleaning:



Hope that helps somebody.
Ivy 5.0
(14 items)
 
Ivy 4.8
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k 5.0 24/7 Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 690 G.Skill Trident X 2400 (2x8gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Pioneer BD-RW Swiftech H220 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 x NEC 30" Logitech G15 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Switch 810 
MouseAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech G51 
  hide details  
Reply
Ivy 5.0
(14 items)
 
Ivy 4.8
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k 5.0 24/7 Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 690 G.Skill Trident X 2400 (2x8gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Pioneer BD-RW Swiftech H220 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 x NEC 30" Logitech G15 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Switch 810 
MouseAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech G51 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15352 of 33641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joa3d43 View Post

...sorry to hear that mad.gif ...are you sure its dead:dead ? It won't boot even without any cards (if it has iGPU) ?

...I know it's a repeat, but here is the appropriate music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1-TrAvp_xs

I think it was the 8400gs I was using as video output (CRT only has analog input, and thus I can't use the igpu cause the board only has HDMI out).
Must have died and took the board with it.
Tried flashing via rog connect, rc tweakit from a laptop, a lot of things. Even tested the psu in the system I'm now using, with a dmm under p95 load.
All fine, don't wanna put that 8400gs in this system, I'll see if I can mail my MVG to Tx for RMA (bought it at MC) and meanwhile grab a 5870 or something similar for LTC/BTC duties.

I posted at ROG forums and got a few replies, I'll retry the bios flashback thing tomorrow and see if the cpu leds flash or what, or maybe try removing the cpu and ram and flashing again. It's rather strange frown.gif
post #15353 of 33641
Quote:
Originally Posted by EssArTee4 View Post

OCN name: EssArTee4
CPU: I5 3570K
on die-TIM: Liquid Ultra
ihs-TIM: Liquid Ultra
Mhz gained: Kept the same
OC after delid: Kept the same
Temp drops: 25C
CPU-Z validation of max OC:

Very happy you decided to join buddy. You will like it here! Happy easter:thumb:
post #15354 of 33641
Thanks, happy Easter to you as well thumb.gif
post #15355 of 33641
So someone just mentioned antec formula 7. Is this stuff any good? I've seen mixed reviews. It's the only thing I can get locally. I have arctic silver Ceramique on hand. Which would be better on the die? And what would you recommend not named CLU/CLP that can be had from newegg if I had to change
post #15356 of 33641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qlix View Post

So someone just mentioned antec formula 7. Is this stuff any good? I've seen mixed reviews. It's the only thing I can get locally. I have arctic silver Ceramique on hand. Which would be better on the die? And what would you recommend not named CLU/CLP that can be had from newegg if I had to change
the only TIM you should put on a delided cpu is clu/clp unless you want to go sub zero cooling and i hear gelid is a good TIM for that. anyway its pointless to delid and not use clp/clu. but .thats my opinion redface.gif
Daily Rig
(21 items)
 
Bench Setup
(19 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k 4.7Ghz @ 1.28vcore / 1.88vccin Gigabyte x99 SOC Champion EVGA GTX 1080Ti G.SKILL Trident Z 32GB 3200Mhz CL14 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
2x Intel 520 120Gb SSD in RAID 0  Intel 180Gb 530 SSD OS Drive 2Tb WD HDD  2x Intel 730 SSD 480GB in RAID 0 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2x HWLabs GTX360 Black Ice in Push Pull EK blocks for CPU / GPU's 6x corsair sp120 2350RPM 6x Ek Vardar 120 F4's 2200rpm  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
windows 10 XB270HU 2560x1440 - 144Hz - G-sync Razor blackwidow cooler master V1000 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 780T EVGA TORQ x10 evga mouse pad 2.1 audio / Hyper X cloud II / Sennheiser Gam... 
Other
EK pump / res 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
6600k Z170M OC Formula GTX780Ti AMD HD6450 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Trident Z 3600Mhz cl16 2x8GB 120Gb intel 520 120Gb intel 520 64Gb adata ssd  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
750Gb WD Black Sony  F1 Gemini CPU Pot Tek - 9 Fat 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
custom loop two 240rad's xp,W7,W8,W10 x-star 2560x1440  Rosewill Quark-650 Platinum / Antec HCP-850 Pla... 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Dimastech Mini V1.0 black razor abyssus Razor 
  hide details  
Reply
Daily Rig
(21 items)
 
Bench Setup
(19 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k 4.7Ghz @ 1.28vcore / 1.88vccin Gigabyte x99 SOC Champion EVGA GTX 1080Ti G.SKILL Trident Z 32GB 3200Mhz CL14 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
2x Intel 520 120Gb SSD in RAID 0  Intel 180Gb 530 SSD OS Drive 2Tb WD HDD  2x Intel 730 SSD 480GB in RAID 0 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2x HWLabs GTX360 Black Ice in Push Pull EK blocks for CPU / GPU's 6x corsair sp120 2350RPM 6x Ek Vardar 120 F4's 2200rpm  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
windows 10 XB270HU 2560x1440 - 144Hz - G-sync Razor blackwidow cooler master V1000 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 780T EVGA TORQ x10 evga mouse pad 2.1 audio / Hyper X cloud II / Sennheiser Gam... 
Other
EK pump / res 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
6600k Z170M OC Formula GTX780Ti AMD HD6450 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Trident Z 3600Mhz cl16 2x8GB 120Gb intel 520 120Gb intel 520 64Gb adata ssd  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
750Gb WD Black Sony  F1 Gemini CPU Pot Tek - 9 Fat 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
custom loop two 240rad's xp,W7,W8,W10 x-star 2560x1440  Rosewill Quark-650 Platinum / Antec HCP-850 Pla... 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Dimastech Mini V1.0 black razor abyssus Razor 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15357 of 33641
thumb.gif Happy Eastern / long weekend everybody thumb.gif

...my GF brought a whole bag of Cadbury chocolate Easter eggs smile.gif I'm getting overclocked on chocolate and sugar biggrin.gif

IvanL...hope that board gets fixed one way or another...pulling everything (CPU, RAM, Cards, PSU power connection) and then re-connecting it can - at times - bring stuff back as it forces the BIOS into default mode...good luck smile.gif
post #15358 of 33641
I'm not christian at all but I appreciate the idea so Happy Easter smile.gif
Never Finished
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700K ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming Sapphire Tri-X R9 290X 8G Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666Mhz - (2x8GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB EK Predator 360 EK 250 X3 Reservoir Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2515H Corsair Raptor K40 Corsair RM650x Fractal Design Define S 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech M500 Gigabyte GP-MP8000 Extreme Accuracy Yamaha HTR-4068 Philips FWB C355 speaker set 
AudioOther
Hyper X Cloud II Samson C01U Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Never Finished
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700K ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming Sapphire Tri-X R9 290X 8G Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666Mhz - (2x8GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB EK Predator 360 EK 250 X3 Reservoir Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2515H Corsair Raptor K40 Corsair RM650x Fractal Design Define S 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech M500 Gigabyte GP-MP8000 Extreme Accuracy Yamaha HTR-4068 Philips FWB C355 speaker set 
AudioOther
Hyper X Cloud II Samson C01U Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15359 of 33641
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanoldman View Post

I realize I am not an HWBot pro and therefore my opinion is irrelevant, but since people have mentioned CLU needing to be sanded off, and others have mentioned lapping I am posting a few bits of info.

As to lapping, please don’t do it unless you are sure you need to after checking your IHS while mounted, my lengthy post on lapping is here:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1313179/official-delidded-ivy-bridge-club/13940#post_19519345

As to CLU, yes it become dry, hard, and acts like a light adhesive when it sets between two metal surfaces. In between your IHS and cooler it will dry over time and you will need to use a bit of force to pull them apart – no big deal just be aware of it. It will not dry on the die because it is not metal and it is easy to get it off. You will most like need to redo the die application any time you unclamp the chip from the mobo.

My previous post on CLU removal is here:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1313179/official-delidded-ivy-bridge-club/13230#post_19452973

And over the weekend I needed to completely remove CLU from a different cooler than the one pictured in my post linked above, and from the IHS. It takes only paper towels and metal polish, no sanding or using any abrasives of any kind, not even the included pad. It does takes time, but it can be completely removed with just the metal polish.

Here are the cooler and IHS after uninstalling them. The CLU is hard to the touch and rough to the feel:


Here they are after cleaning with metal polish and then alcohol to finish the cleaning:

Hope that helps somebody.

the metal polish does leave behind a residue that inhibits heat transfer, no?

now if you wanted to clean that stuff off your cpu die, how would you do it?
Silent But Deadly
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k @4.4 Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H Powercolor AMD 470 8GB Samsung 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Cricual M4 64 / WD6400AAKS Silver Arrow SB-E Arctic Cooling 7970 7 64 Ultimate 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
BenQ XL2410T Corsair AX650 Fractal Define R4 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
Silent But Deadly
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k @4.4 Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H Powercolor AMD 470 8GB Samsung 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Cricual M4 64 / WD6400AAKS Silver Arrow SB-E Arctic Cooling 7970 7 64 Ultimate 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
BenQ XL2410T Corsair AX650 Fractal Define R4 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15360 of 33641
Quote:
Originally Posted by homestyle View Post

the metal polish does leave behind a residue that inhibits heat transfer, no?

now if you wanted to clean that stuff off your cpu die, how would you do it?
You would definitely not want any metal polish residue left over on any surfaces. After I use the polish, I spend time getting it completely clean with isopropyl alcohol. Q-tips and alcohol make cleaning the die quick and easy.
Ivy 5.0
(14 items)
 
Ivy 4.8
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k 5.0 24/7 Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 690 G.Skill Trident X 2400 (2x8gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Pioneer BD-RW Swiftech H220 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 x NEC 30" Logitech G15 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Switch 810 
MouseAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech G51 
  hide details  
Reply
Ivy 5.0
(14 items)
 
Ivy 4.8
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k 5.0 24/7 Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 690 G.Skill Trident X 2400 (2x8gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Pioneer BD-RW Swiftech H220 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 x NEC 30" Logitech G15 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Switch 810 
MouseAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech G51 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › [Official] Delidded Club / Guide