Originally Posted by Valgaur
Yeah I know im late to this but here ya go. This can be the case of pressure sometimes do to the architecture and the micro transistors being to far apart sometimes due to the pressure mounting on it. Try this
Thx for the tips Valgaur... but its official. My CPU is dead
. It took my mobo with it but I was able to RMA and confirm today that the SB chip works, delidded IB don't
. Not knockin' the procedure of course but despite my best efforts I did it wrong. Just so others know here's where I eeffed up - I don't know which one killed it but it has to be one or a combination of a few of them:
- Nicked PCB (very, very minor)
- Used too aggressive a scraper for the renaming glue (spare piece of acrylic)... since I did it I've seen posts showing a dremel & polishing wheel works so I'd recommend that instead of any scraping method, as I saw copper peeking thru in areas I know I didn't hit with the razor.
- Didn't adequately ground myself - I didn't use a bracelet so while I don't think this is how I killed it I can't rule it out 100%.
Bummed of course but glad I started with my weakest chip. Not sure if I'll try again as flushing $250 really stings