Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › ATI Drivers and Overclocking Software › New Bios update for gigabyte HD7950 !
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Bios update for gigabyte HD7950 ! - Page 40

post #391 of 1324
So there is no reason to update BIOS if we are not having issues with our cards currently? I would have though any update would be something worth having... Just like any kind of software update... a patch usually makes things better/more efficient. But if there is really no reason to upgrade, then I'll just leave my ancient BIOS alone. Not to mention the fact that I don't want to risk losing my voltage control because of an update.
post #392 of 1324
yes, you don't need to update your bios if you don't have any issues. However only GHZ bioses are voltage locked so if you decide to try F43, F2 or F21 you won't loose voltage control.
post #393 of 1324
After a grand amount of frustration, getting my drivers right and benching I was rather let down that my HD7950 (Windforce3 from Gigabyte) wasn't able to go beyond 1065mhz. I was initially elated to find that I had an extra 100mhz over what they said on the product page 900mhz on the page vs 1000mhz actual. I'm not exactly sure I'm voltage locked, from what I've gleaned from this thread and what Belkov's said above it seems the bioses that come w/ 1ghz are bios voltage locked and not hardware locked? I'm curious if anybody can help clarify a few things, I'd greatly appreciate it!

I decided to use the latest version of Heaven to test and was able to get up to 1065 core / 1500 mem without any issues, keeping fan on auto it never went above 55% and the temps stayed sub-60C. Ordinarly GPU-Z reads my VDDC at 0.925V, GPU Caps Viewer reads it as the same under Current. However that's all I can see under either, whilst GPU Caps doesn't look like it has more room for display, GPU-Z ends its sensors at VDDC. Additionally, sometimes GPU-Z lists my GPU at 1-7% load despite it being under full 99% load.

Whenever it's under load however, the voltage jumps to 1.250V so I'm unsure if it's locked or what. And despite using the unofficial MSI AB tweaks, adding the ATI dlls to it and even using the latest Beta version I've been unable to alter my core voltage let alone see what my voltage is under MSI AB. Trixx allowed me to alter my voltage up to 1.25V or below but aside from not liking it compared to MSI (lack of overlay for games etc) it created a few weird issues, such as my core/mem speeds underclocking themselves even when they're under load despite having adequate cooling (never goes above 60C) and 1.25V going to it. Once I uninstalled trixx the issue went away, I was using the latest version, I'm also using the latest 13.2 Beta7 AMD drivers.

The Core Problem: Anyways, despite GPU-Z showing 1.25V going through the card, I cannot get a stable core clock higher than 1065mhz. My ASIC score is: 58.3% which seems horrendously low. I'm using bios 015.029.000.003.00000 (Which I believe is the FZ1?). My temps never get high, but I am a little concerned I can't read my VRM temps or voltage and I wonder if I'm really that unlucky to have my max overclock cap at 1065mhz. I'd really like to hit 1150 stable at the very least but is that even possible? If I were to flash my bios would that even help me to get a better overclock or would it do nothing? Sorry for how long this is!
Edited by Kestiel - 3/1/13 at 4:27pm
post #394 of 1324
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben62884 View Post

It wasn't meant to be rude. Maybe you just took it that way because you felt foolish? You asked why no one had posted screens of GPU and AB under full load. I had posted just that only 3 posts prior to your comment. I was simply pointing out that if you had looked a bit harder you would have found what you were looking for. No, maybe one example isn't enough for you, but that wasn't the point. The point was I was pointing out the fact that what you had asked for was blatantly obvious only 3 posts before yours. Please take the time to read first next time instead of posting first.

Are you even serious?

Do you really think that your one picture is enough? I did not find what Ive looked for because only one person has responded. If you ask "Hey guys, how high are all of you overclocking your 7950s to?" Then one random guy responds, would you just assume that his single answer is enough to know how everyone's 7950 is going to perform? You cannot be that dense....just no.

I am going to attempt to explain this the best I can, because I honestly believe you just dont understand whats going on here.
I asked to get an idea of the droop that other Gigabyte 7950 users were experiencing, not "Hey can someone tell me how much droop you have?" If 10 people would have responded I could have gotten a decent idea of the range. Perhaps all 10 people would have a 50mv droop, I wouldnt feel that my card is really out of the ordinary. If those same 10 people responded and they all reported between 5-10mv droop, I would be able to assume that my card had more droop than others. Is it sinking in? The fact that there was one picture of what Im looking for is completely worthless because it doesnt give me any idea of the potential range.

I do not know how I can make this any more clear for you. If you dont understand that one piece of data is not a sufficient amount to draw any conclusion from I really dont know what to tell you.

And while we are on the subject of "Please take the time to read first next time instead of posting first." How can you even type that? In typical "new guy" fashion you came on here and asked a simple question, which has a simple answer, and that answer has been provided MANY times even in this very thread. You even went so far as to say that GPUz says your core voltage is 1.08-1.600. (Hint, its not.) Dont try to lecture me when you cant even read GPUz correctly. 1.6 is your memory voltage. If you put 1.6v on your core youd probably be in the market for a new GPU pretty quick. Then you go on to ask if you should try lowering the voltage. Again, this is Overclocking 101.....Find the minimum voltage you can run stable at. Excess voltage when you are stable is just wasted power and more heat.

Please remove that foot from your mouth now.
Edited by RX7-2nr - 3/1/13 at 9:25pm
post #395 of 1324
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX7-2nr View Post

Are you even serious?

Do you really think that your one picture is enough? I did not find what Ive looked for because only one person has responded. If you ask "Hey guys, how high are all of you overclocking your 7950s to?" Then one random guy responds, would you just assume that his single answer is enough to know how everyone's 7950 is going to perform? You cannot be that dense....just no.

I am going to attempt to explain this the best I can, because I honestly believe you just dont understand whats going on here.
I asked to get an idea of the droop that EVERYONE was experiencing, not "Hey can someone tell me how much droop you have?" If 10 people would have responded I could have gotten a decent idea of the range. Perhaps all 10 people would have a 50mv droop, I wouldnt feel that my card is really out of the ordinary. If those same 10 people responded and they all reported between 5-10mv droop, I would be able to assume that my card had more droop than others. Is it sinking in? The fact that there was one picture of what Im looking for is completely worthless because it doesnt give me any idea of the potential range.

I do not know how I can make this any more clear for you. If you dont understand that one piece of data is not a sufficient amount to draw any conclusion from I really dont know what to tell you.

And while we are on the subject of "Please take the time to read first next time instead of posting first." How can you even type that? In typical "new guy" fashion you came on here and asked a simple question, which has a simple answer, and that answer has been provided MANY times even in this very thread. You even went so far as to say that GPUz says your core voltage is 1.08-1.600. (Hint, its not.) Dont try to lecture me when you cant even read GPUz correctly. 1.6 is your memory voltage. If you put 1.6v on your core youd probably be in the market for a new GPU pretty quick. Then you go on to ask if you should try lowering the voltage. Again, this is Overclocking 101.....Find the minimum voltage you can run stable at. Excess voltage when you are stable is just wasted power and more heat.

Please remove that foot from your mouth now.
Sorry I don't have countless amounts of empty hours on hand in my life to sit down and learn overclocking 101 like you. I asked a simple question, got a simple answer and now im overclocked 1100mhz at 1575mhz memory, 100% stable on 1.05volts.... so im happy. good luck trying to get "everyone" to post the screens/info you want. not everyone is at your beckon call. be happy with what u got, period.
post #396 of 1324
No problem. Ill be here to answer your next question, "Hey guize, how do I installs teh new drivers?"
post #397 of 1324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestiel View Post

After a grand amount of frustration, getting my drivers right and benching I was rather let down that my HD7950 (Windforce3 from Gigabyte) wasn't able to go beyond 1065mhz. I was initially elated to find that I had an extra 100mhz over what they said on the product page 900mhz on the page vs 1000mhz actual. I'm not exactly sure I'm voltage locked, from what I've gleaned from this thread and what Belkov's said above it seems the bioses that come w/ 1ghz are bios voltage locked and not hardware locked? I'm curious if anybody can help clarify a few things, I'd greatly appreciate it!

I decided to use the latest version of Heaven to test and was able to get up to 1065 core / 1500 mem without any issues, keeping fan on auto it never went above 55% and the temps stayed sub-60C. Ordinarly GPU-Z reads my VDDC at 0.925V, GPU Caps Viewer reads it as the same under Current. However that's all I can see under either, whilst GPU Caps doesn't look like it has more room for display, GPU-Z ends its sensors at VDDC. Additionally, sometimes GPU-Z lists my GPU at 1-7% load despite it being under full 99% load.

Whenever it's under load however, the voltage jumps to 1.250V so I'm unsure if it's locked or what. And despite using the unofficial MSI AB tweaks, adding the ATI dlls to it and even using the latest Beta version I've been unable to alter my core voltage let alone see what my voltage is under MSI AB. Trixx allowed me to alter my voltage up to 1.25V or below but aside from not liking it compared to MSI (lack of overlay for games etc) it created a few weird issues, such as my core/mem speeds underclocking themselves even when they're under load despite having adequate cooling (never goes above 60C) and 1.25V going to it. Once I uninstalled trixx the issue went away, I was using the latest version, I'm also using the latest 13.2 Beta7 AMD drivers.

The Core Problem: Anyways, despite GPU-Z showing 1.25V going through the card, I cannot get a stable core clock higher than 1065mhz. My ASIC score is: 58.3% which seems horrendously low. I'm using bios 015.029.000.003.00000 (Which I believe is the FZ1?). My temps never get high, but I am a little concerned I can't read my VRM temps or voltage and I wonder if I'm really that unlucky to have my max overclock cap at 1065mhz. I'd really like to hit 1150 stable at the very least but is that even possible? If I were to flash my bios would that even help me to get a better overclock or would it do nothing? Sorry for how long this is!

My asics quality is almost the same - 58.4%. I read in the net that there are some VGAs which VRMs are not shown in GPU-Z. Try aide64 for monitoring VRMs and tell us weather it works for you. For better results in overclocking i recommend you to reflash with F43 bios. You will have stock clock 900MHz for the core but i thing you will be able to achieve more core clock.

WARNING: Don't reflash under windows. Just read some pages backward - i was posted a link with full guide how to update VGA bios under DOS.
I'm with F43 bios and with more or less the same asics quality let me show you what are my core clocks:

1000MHz - 1.1V.
1050MHz - 1.156V.
1100MHz - 1.2V.
1150MHz - 1.256V.
~1200MHz - ~1.3V.
Edited by Belkov - 3/2/13 at 1:30am
post #398 of 1324
I appreciate the response Belkov! I read through the techpowerup guide on DOS booting w/ a flash drive and flashing the VGA bios, I looked around since the guide I found said to use Win98boot file even for Win7 and found that strange but I guess there's nothing newer yet. I'm going to try flashing now and I'll edit this post or reply with my findings!
post #399 of 1324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestiel View Post

I appreciate the response Belkov! I read through the techpowerup guide on DOS booting w/ a flash drive and flashing the VGA bios, I looked around since the guide I found said to use Win98boot file even for Win7 and found that strange but I guess there's nothing newer yet. I'm going to try flashing now and I'll edit this post or reply with my findings!

I'm almost 100% sure that you'll have improvement - GB GHz bioses are not very successful - no wonder they are removed from the official website of GB.
post #400 of 1324
After a surprisingly frustrating few hours, USB stick suddenly failing independently of me creating a boot format on it, and then my inability to find out how to boot from USB on my new board (Biostar TP67XE, it wasn't in boot options and I altered every option in USB settings and checked and still nothing so go figure) I used Winflash w/ an elevated command prompt and made sure to halt any processes that weren't necessary to windows. It flashed fine, the new BIOS is now 015.026.000.000.000907.

However, after the reboot and when I went into MSI AB I had no core voltage control, so I went in and ticked all the voltage settings on, restarted it and core voltage is still at 0. I went in and tried it in kernel mode instead and still no luck. I'm going to download Trixx and see if I can't access my voltage with that. GPU-Z is now reading 0.85v @ 900core/1250mem. This is supremely disappointing and I don't think I'll buy another gigabyte product if this is how they do things. I could understand bios voltage lock but now it's seeming hardware locked.

EDIT: Loaded up Sapphire Trixx, now my voltage capped at 1.090v. Somehow I'm doubtful I'll even be able to hit my older 1065/1500 stability now seeing as there's so much less voltage. I'm going to give it a run and test but I'm unbelievably disappointed right now.
Edited by Kestiel - 3/2/13 at 11:28am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › ATI Drivers and Overclocking Software › New Bios update for gigabyte HD7950 !