Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › ATI Drivers and Overclocking Software › New Bios update for gigabyte HD7950 !
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Bios update for gigabyte HD7950 ! - Page 83

post #821 of 1324
Crash how?
My card with too much power load ends up blank screen, have to reboot.
It's not a freeze like where the screen stays static.

Use Trixx, like others have to set a voltage for this unlocked bios.

If anything I can make a higher default voltage bios but it may break the unlocked abilities.
But if you can boot and change voltage with trixx, like people can, then raise it up. For 1000, 1.13 is more than enough IMO.

My voltages, ASIC 76% using f43, pt hacked to never throttle in occt:
All using 1775 ram at 1.6v.

1050: 1.131v
1000: 1.088 v
900 1.006v

With 1100 I need 1.181v, and PT set to throttle back at max 22 amps 12v VRM in. If higher it will blank screen my card.

No matter what it says when it is throttling, 900 mhz etc... it still is 1000 mhz. Throttling just gives the card more "sleep cycles".
I can tell by stability voltage. If I throttle my 1100 mhz setup to below 1000, it still isn't stable below 1.175... meanwhile CRAZY FULL LOAD at 1050 can use 1.131 stable.


The mhz you see when throttling seems to be some sort of estimation of performance. In the old days CPU's didn't clock down, they used HLT idle states. So lets say 1100 throttled to 1000, means every 11th time slice, the gpu is not doing anything- to limit current/power input.

That's why I prefer 1050 at 1.131 over 1100 at 1.181 which has to get some throttling.


I made someone a modded xfx dd bios but didn't get a response yet. So far we have unlocked gb bioses but I think the others are a bit timid to try these bioses on their non GB v2 cards. Meanwhile I've tried almost every other manufacturer to see if any of them are more stable lol
Edited by robnitro - 6/8/13 at 11:42am
post #822 of 1324
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post

Crash how?
My card with too much power load ends up blank screen, have to reboot.
It's not a freeze like where the screen stays static.

Use Trixx, like others have to set a voltage for this unlocked bios.

If anything I can make a higher default voltage bios but it may break the unlocked abilities.
But if you can boot and change voltage with trixx, like people can, then raise it up. For 1000, 1.13 is more than enough IMO.

My voltages, ASIC 76% using f43, pt hacked to never throttle in occt:
All using 1775 ram at 1.6v.

1050: 1.131v
1000: 1.088 v
900 1.006v

With 1100 I need 1.181v, and PT set to throttle back at max 22 amps 12v VRM in. If higher it will blank screen my card.

No matter what it says when it is throttling, 900 mhz etc... it still is 1000 mhz. Throttling just gives the card more "sleep cycles".
I can tell by stability voltage. If I throttle my 1100 mhz setup to below 1000, it still isn't stable below 1.175... meanwhile CRAZY FULL LOAD at 1050 can use 1.131 stable.


The mhz you see when throttling seems to be some sort of estimation of performance. In the old days CPU's didn't clock down, they used HLT idle states. So lets say 1100 throttled to 1000, means every 11th time slice, the gpu is not doing anything- to limit current/power input.

That's why I prefer 1050 at 1.131 over 1100 at 1.181 which has to get some throttling.


I made someone a modded xfx dd bios but didn't get a response yet. So far we have unlocked gb bioses but I think the others are a bit timid to try these bioses on their non GB v2 cards. Meanwhile I've tried almost every other manufacturer to see if any of them are more stable lol

My main problem is throttling, when it does and it does it all the time, the performance in any benchmark lowers drastically. With your FX1/FY1 bios i can boot without any problems, even run a FurMark but whenever i load a game, it just crashes without BSOD back in windows. When i lower the clock from 1000 to 900mhz i can play but that is all that i can get at that voltage. When i lock the voltage in Trixx at let's say 1.125, the voltage sticks and i can clock past 1100 but the throttling is horrible at that point. This never happens with my bios, the throttling i mean but at stock the voltage and the temps are just too damn high.
So the ideal solution for me would be my moded bios at 1000mhz/1.125v or even 1.150v to lower my temps enough, lower the voltage, leave some room for overclocking.

Now i wonder if it is even throttling or is it just that the boost function doesn't work as intended.
Edited by EnErgy667 - 6/8/13 at 11:56am
post #823 of 1324
To bypass throttling, run a higher powertune, +20. You can also mod it higher.

To check if boost is working, you would throttle the powertune lower and lower while running a program to monitor voltage, like afterburner will show what the card vddc (but no real voltage). It will drop clocks to 900 or so, and less voltage than you set before, using less power btw.

The clock you set in trixx/ab is the boost clock. Try also running a less demanding game and see if it throttles as much.

I've also noticed that those bioses make my vrm1 way hotter for same load. If it goes past 114 it throttles back to the uvd/dxva speed/voltage! Doh!
post #824 of 1324
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post

To bypass throttling, run a higher powertune, +20. You can also mod it higher.

To check if boost is working, you would throttle the powertune lower and lower while running a program to monitor voltage, like afterburner will show what the card vddc (but no real voltage). It will drop clocks to 900 or so, and less voltage than you set before, using less power btw.

The clock you set in trixx/ab is the boost clock. Try also running a less demanding game and see if it throttles as much.

I've also noticed that those bioses make my vrm1 way hotter for same load. If it goes past 114 it throttles back to the uvd/dxva speed/voltage! Doh!


Thank you for all the info but i was already well aware of all this. I've tried every possible way to make the clocks "stick" but with no avail, the card barely ever uses any clock other than 900mhz under 1.25v with stock bios but with yours moded bioses it can use 1000mhz except that it crashes at 1.056v because that's not enough juice to make it work. If you could just point me where to change the powertune at 50% in bios or at which offset i can change clocks and voltage i would really appreciate it.
Edited by EnErgy667 - 6/8/13 at 4:18pm
post #825 of 1324
I am not very good at this. I tried flashing the FY1 mod using ATIWinFlash, it failed and computer went into eternal boot.

I used the bios switch to use the other bios and now the card is working fine.

I want to know if there is a way to flash and again and fix the broken bios? Or can I switch the bios switch in windows and reflash? frown.gif

Thx!
post #826 of 1324
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuanjames View Post

I am not very good at this. I tried flashing the FY1 mod using ATIWinFlash, it failed and computer went into eternal boot.

I used the bios switch to use the other bios and now the card is working fine.

I want to know if there is a way to flash and again and fix the broken bios? Or can I switch the bios switch in windows and reflash? frown.gif

Thx!

Boot into DOS with the backup bios, live switch on the second corrupted bios and just follow the regular atiflash procedure. Don't flash inside windows, just use atiflash from dos to avoid problems.
Edited by EnErgy667 - 6/9/13 at 9:24am
post #827 of 1324
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnErgy667 View Post

Boot into DOS with the backup bios, live switch on the second corrupted bios and just follow the regular atiflash procedure. Don't flash inside windows, just use atiflash from dos to avoid problems.

Thanks! Just to confirm - that means I can switch bios on the card under dos right?
post #828 of 1324
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuanjames View Post

Thanks! Just to confirm - that means I can switch bios on the card under dos right?

Yup!! No problem, glad to help.
post #829 of 1324
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnErgy667 View Post

Yup!! No problem, glad to help.

It totally worked biggrin.gif Thank you!!

Too bad, the mod doesn't work for my card though frown.gif
post #830 of 1324
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuanjames View Post

It totally worked biggrin.gif Thank you!!

Too bad, the mod doesn't work for my card though frown.gif

Post the screenshot of GPU-Z so i can help you more.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › ATI Drivers and Overclocking Software › New Bios update for gigabyte HD7950 !