Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › 3930k Unstable at Stock!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

3930k Unstable at Stock!

post #1 of 50
Thread Starter 
Okay guys. I've had my sig rig (big red resurrection) set up for a while, but I haven't used it a ton... And I decided to do a stress test on it today (prime 95, blend)... And it is not stable at all!

I have the latest bios, and I have cleared the CMOS multiple times... I have no clue what the problem is. Any ideas?
Edited by Jeremy1998 - 10/7/12 at 8:06pm
post #2 of 50
What is happening when you run Prime95? BSOD? Workers failing? It may not be the CPU, it may be the memory.
post #3 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermitmaster View Post

What is happening when you run Prime95? BSOD? Workers failing? It may not be the CPU, it may be the memory.
Some of the... instances? fail... as in the little sub windows inside the main thing.
post #4 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy1998 View Post

Some of the... instances? fail... as in the little sub windows inside the main thing.

Which tests are you running? Blend? Small FFTs? Large FFTs? They all stress different things.

Here is a bit of a guide for you...

http://www.overclock.net/t/838244/prime95-a-quick-dirty-guide-to-the-custom-settings
post #5 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethy666 View Post

Which tests are you running? Blend? Small FFTs? Large FFTs? They all stress different things.
Here is a bit of a guide for you...
http://www.overclock.net/t/838244/prime95-a-quick-dirty-guide-to-the-custom-settings
I'm using blend, and it fails no matter how much memory I use, so I doubt that's it...
post #6 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy1998 View Post

I'm using blend, and it fails no matter how much memory I use, so I doubt that's it...

Individual core/worker failure instead of BSOD during blend( I had this problem with running 4 sticks of Corsair Ram on my z77 board, need Dram voltage of 1.53V to be stable in prime)= your Dram voltage is too low for the timing you are using, for 4X or more sticks of Ram this could also mean your VCCIO is too low.
Skylake 1080 FTW
(18 items)
 
XPS 15
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700K  ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger EVGA 1080 FTW TridentZ DDR4-3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung SM951 128GB Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB Muskin Reactor 1TB Seagate Baracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 HDD 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate Baracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 HDD Corsair H110i GT Windows 10 Pro  Acer XB321HK 32" 4K G-sync 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K70 Rapid Fire EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 NZXT H440 Black Logitech G900  
Mouse PadOther
Razer Vespula CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD - PFC Sinewave UPS Syst... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-7700HQ 2.8Ghz(3.8Ghz Turbo) Dell XPS 15-9560 Nvidia GTX 1050 8GB DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
256GB PCIE SSD Windows 10 Pro 15.6" 1080p 
  hide details  
Reply
Skylake 1080 FTW
(18 items)
 
XPS 15
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700K  ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger EVGA 1080 FTW TridentZ DDR4-3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung SM951 128GB Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB Muskin Reactor 1TB Seagate Baracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 HDD 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate Baracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 HDD Corsair H110i GT Windows 10 Pro  Acer XB321HK 32" 4K G-sync 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K70 Rapid Fire EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 NZXT H440 Black Logitech G900  
Mouse PadOther
Razer Vespula CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD - PFC Sinewave UPS Syst... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-7700HQ 2.8Ghz(3.8Ghz Turbo) Dell XPS 15-9560 Nvidia GTX 1050 8GB DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
256GB PCIE SSD Windows 10 Pro 15.6" 1080p 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy1998 View Post

I'm using blend, and it fails no matter how much memory I use, so I doubt that's it...

3930k's run hot too... how are your temps? I know its suppose to throttle but it's best to know.

Check your BIOS and make sure your DRAM voltages are set to the sticks recommendations. If you at stock, Im assuming it has been detected and assigned but again... its best to make sure.
post #8 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlock View Post

Individual core/worker failure instead of BSOD during blend( I had this problem with running 4 sticks of Corsair Ram on my z77 board, need Dram voltage of 1.53V to be stable in prime)= your Dram voltage is too low for the timing you are using, for 4X or more sticks of Ram this could also mean your VCCIO is too low.
I normally use all 8 dimms on my board. I didn't think that would effect the stability of the CPU...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethy666 View Post

3930k's run hot too... how are your temps? I know its suppose to throttle but it's best to know.
Check your BIOS and make sure your DRAM voltages are set to the sticks recommendations. If you at stock, Im assuming it has been detected and assigned but again... its best to make sure.
I'm using a Corsair H100, with push - pull fans on 100%. I haven't checked the temps, but it's stock voltage... I can't even imagine that it would be getting too hot.
post #9 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy1998 View Post

I normally use all 8 dimms on my board. I didn't think that would effect the stability of the CPU...
I'm using a Corsair H100, with push - pull fans on 100%. I haven't checked the temps, but it's stock voltage... I can't even imagine that it would be getting too hot.

Using 8 Dimms on a X79 is the same as using 4 Dimss on a Z77, you need to raise the VCCIO or the Dram Voltage by a notch or two themselves in most instances for the sticks to be stable in Prime Blend.
Skylake 1080 FTW
(18 items)
 
XPS 15
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700K  ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger EVGA 1080 FTW TridentZ DDR4-3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung SM951 128GB Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB Muskin Reactor 1TB Seagate Baracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 HDD 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate Baracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 HDD Corsair H110i GT Windows 10 Pro  Acer XB321HK 32" 4K G-sync 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K70 Rapid Fire EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 NZXT H440 Black Logitech G900  
Mouse PadOther
Razer Vespula CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD - PFC Sinewave UPS Syst... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-7700HQ 2.8Ghz(3.8Ghz Turbo) Dell XPS 15-9560 Nvidia GTX 1050 8GB DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
256GB PCIE SSD Windows 10 Pro 15.6" 1080p 
  hide details  
Reply
Skylake 1080 FTW
(18 items)
 
XPS 15
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700K  ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger EVGA 1080 FTW TridentZ DDR4-3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung SM951 128GB Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB Muskin Reactor 1TB Seagate Baracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 HDD 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate Baracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 HDD Corsair H110i GT Windows 10 Pro  Acer XB321HK 32" 4K G-sync 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K70 Rapid Fire EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 NZXT H440 Black Logitech G900  
Mouse PadOther
Razer Vespula CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD - PFC Sinewave UPS Syst... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-7700HQ 2.8Ghz(3.8Ghz Turbo) Dell XPS 15-9560 Nvidia GTX 1050 8GB DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
256GB PCIE SSD Windows 10 Pro 15.6" 1080p 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy1998 View Post

I normally use all 8 dimms on my board. I didn't think that would effect the stability of the CPU...
I'm using a Corsair H100, with push - pull fans on 100%. I haven't checked the temps, but it's stock voltage... I can't even imagine that it would be getting too hot.

Maybe so, but in order to trouble shoot, these things need to be known.

Can you confirm you DRAM voltages.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › 3930k Unstable at Stock!