Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › [Official] The War Z Discussion Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] The War Z Discussion Thread. - Page 23

Poll Results: Is this a Day Z Ripoff?

 
  • 60% (77)
    Yes.
  • 39% (51)
    No.
128 Total Votes  
post #221 of 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedEarth View Post

There are two types of cash, dollars and gold.
You can only acquire gold by purchasing it with real life currency however the types of things you can buy with it are not game changing. These items are designed for newbies and 'clean' characters who have no items. These items are things such as hats, melee weapons (hammers, bats), food, drink and a few select ammo clips. You cannot buy game changing items with gold, such as guns, armour, grenades ect...
Dollars can only be picked up in game. I've only ever picked them up killing zombies (average drop of about 71 dollars) but not every zombie drops dollars. This money can be used to buy items such as melee weapons, food, drink and some select items like gun scopes, night vision goggles. You still cannot purchase guns or armour, you have to find these in game.
It's a really fair system to be honest.
Even drink and food costs like $4,000, a hammer is $8,600 and night vision goggles are $75,000. With an average drop of $71 from a zombie, just think how many zombies you need to merc before you have enough money to even buy a tin of soup...never mind NV goggles. tongue.gif
The only thing it's useful for in my opinion is buying a bit of food to help your character and to buy a spiked bat or hammer to at least help you kill zombies.
Your character starts with literally NOTHING. Not a single item. So the gold can be useful. I recommend buying at least the pioneer pack to grab yourself a melee weapon before you start.
The only world available at the moment is called Colorado, and it is HUGE. It takes three hours to walk from one end to the other, some people think it's annoying because it can take 20 minutes to walk from one town to the other, and about an hour travel between safe zones but I like it. The distances are just right to make items 'scarce' but not too close that you constantly bump into other players.
They plan on adding other maps such as Paris and London soon but even in the past three weeks the Colorado map has had new areas open up to make it bigger.

thanks for the heads up. i couldnt choose between dayz and this, but after seeing a few videos i think i can be okay with the mechanics of this game.

although i wanna play it really real without using any in game currency and scavange myself to greatness. smile.gif thanks for the heads up! hopefully this blows up to be an even better game.. will save money to buy this then
Death Tyrant
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k p8z77-v evga gtx 780 classified SLI corsair vengeance 16gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
ocz vertex 4 256 asus 24x corsair h100 windows 7 pro 64 
MonitorPowerCase
Overlord Tempest X270SE corsair ax850 corsair vengeance c70 
  hide details  
Reply
Death Tyrant
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k p8z77-v evga gtx 780 classified SLI corsair vengeance 16gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
ocz vertex 4 256 asus 24x corsair h100 windows 7 pro 64 
MonitorPowerCase
Overlord Tempest X270SE corsair ax850 corsair vengeance c70 
  hide details  
Reply
post #222 of 559
Haha, just be warned that people blow your head off for no reason.

Sometimes you're just walked along with nothing on you and boom, you've just been ganked by someone. It's really frustrating sometimes.


Bandits tend to camp outside of the safe zones so when people are taking the loot they found, back to the safe zone, they snipe them and steal all of their loot. I appreciate that this is a part of the game, but it's frustrating when you just spend three hours, got a boner because you found your first hand gun, just to have some pikey take it away by camping outside of the safe zone waiting for you to approach.

I've turned into a hoarder though. I have over 15 guns now, and a butt load of meds/food/water/armour that I don't even bother using. It's just in my global inventory. I find the game more fun when I'm running around with nothing but a hammer for company.

Guns make me feel too safe, which takes the adrenaline away, and ruins the atmosphere. There's nothing more scary than having a hammer and hearing guns shots and running like hell, or running past a town and seeing two bandits already looting it when you can't do anything but hide and poo your pants clinging to your hammer. tongue.gif
Smallville
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i5 3570k Asus Sabertooth Z77 Asus HD7950 DirectCU II Asus HD7950 DirectCU II 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 128GB Corsair Force Pro, 2 x 2TB HDD, 500GB Ext... LG Blu-Ray, DVD/CD RW drive Corsair H60 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Genuine 27" Crossover 27Q S-IPS 1440p Cyborg V7 Corsair HX1000 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Phantom White Microsoft Sidewinder X8 Wireless Steelseries QcK Sennheiser eH250 
  hide details  
Reply
Smallville
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i5 3570k Asus Sabertooth Z77 Asus HD7950 DirectCU II Asus HD7950 DirectCU II 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 128GB Corsair Force Pro, 2 x 2TB HDD, 500GB Ext... LG Blu-Ray, DVD/CD RW drive Corsair H60 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Genuine 27" Crossover 27Q S-IPS 1440p Cyborg V7 Corsair HX1000 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Phantom White Microsoft Sidewinder X8 Wireless Steelseries QcK Sennheiser eH250 
  hide details  
Reply
post #223 of 559
Global inventory absolutely ruins the whole point of this type of game.
post #224 of 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedEarth View Post

Haha, just be warned that people blow your head off for no reason.
Sometimes you're just walked along with nothing on you and boom, you've just been ganked by someone. It's really frustrating sometimes.
Bandits tend to camp outside of the safe zones so when people are taking the loot they found, back to the safe zone, they snipe them and steal all of their loot. I appreciate that this is a part of the game, but it's frustrating when you just spend three hours, got a boner because you found your first hand gun, just to have some pikey take it away by camping outside of the safe zone waiting for you to approach.
I've turned into a hoarder though. I have over 15 guns now, and a butt load of meds/food/water/armour that I don't even bother using. It's just in my global inventory. I find the game more fun when I'm running around with nothing but a hammer for company.
Guns make me feel too safe, which takes the adrenaline away, and ruins the atmosphere. There's nothing more scary than having a hammer and hearing guns shots and running like hell, or running past a town and seeing two bandits already looting it when you can't do anything but hide and poo your pants clinging to your hammer. tongue.gif


haha seems like you're the best person to play with smile.gif how do the global inventory work? do you have a stash in game? i assume you only lose what you carry. what about cash? can you store that as well?
Death Tyrant
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k p8z77-v evga gtx 780 classified SLI corsair vengeance 16gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
ocz vertex 4 256 asus 24x corsair h100 windows 7 pro 64 
MonitorPowerCase
Overlord Tempest X270SE corsair ax850 corsair vengeance c70 
  hide details  
Reply
Death Tyrant
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k p8z77-v evga gtx 780 classified SLI corsair vengeance 16gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
ocz vertex 4 256 asus 24x corsair h100 windows 7 pro 64 
MonitorPowerCase
Overlord Tempest X270SE corsair ax850 corsair vengeance c70 
  hide details  
Reply
post #225 of 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezikiel12 View Post

Global inventory absolutely ruins the whole point of this type of game.

I disagree. It's nice because you want to stash your achievements. It would be horrible if I didn't have a stash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankietown View Post

haha seems like you're the best person to play with smile.gif how do the global inventory work? do you have a stash in game? i assume you only lose what you carry. what about cash? can you store that as well?

There are three 'safe zones' on the map. You cannot be killed or kill in these zones.

You can only access your global inventory in these zones, so when you go out looting and pick some stuff up. You head back to one of the three zones to access your global inventory and store your goods. This way you can transfer loot between characters (you can have a maximum of 5 characters) but they have to be in the safe zone to access the GI and get the loot.

Cash is different, it doesn't need to be stored, t is done automatically. So if I kill a zombie and pick up $80, it goes directly into your account and cannot be stolen if you're killed. I'm not sure why they chose to do this, I think it's because it is your personal reward for killing a zombie but I think it is good that it cannot be stolen. That way you always save currency to buy food and water if you really need it.

Once a character dies in normal mode, it can be revived one hour later (hence the requirement for 5 characters), in hardcore mode, once you're dead that's it. tongue.gif

.........

Yeah I'd like to think I'm fun to play with. Me and my buddy have a blast, all we do is loot and kill zombies for cash. We only kill players who visibly carry a gun because chances are if they sneak up on you, they're gunna kill you. We don't kill anyone who is unarmed because we don't like killing to be honest. We just enjoy the adventure. smile.gif
Smallville
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i5 3570k Asus Sabertooth Z77 Asus HD7950 DirectCU II Asus HD7950 DirectCU II 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 128GB Corsair Force Pro, 2 x 2TB HDD, 500GB Ext... LG Blu-Ray, DVD/CD RW drive Corsair H60 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Genuine 27" Crossover 27Q S-IPS 1440p Cyborg V7 Corsair HX1000 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Phantom White Microsoft Sidewinder X8 Wireless Steelseries QcK Sennheiser eH250 
  hide details  
Reply
Smallville
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i5 3570k Asus Sabertooth Z77 Asus HD7950 DirectCU II Asus HD7950 DirectCU II 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 128GB Corsair Force Pro, 2 x 2TB HDD, 500GB Ext... LG Blu-Ray, DVD/CD RW drive Corsair H60 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Genuine 27" Crossover 27Q S-IPS 1440p Cyborg V7 Corsair HX1000 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Phantom White Microsoft Sidewinder X8 Wireless Steelseries QcK Sennheiser eH250 
  hide details  
Reply
post #226 of 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedEarth View Post

I disagree. It's nice because you want to stash your achievements. It would be horrible if I didn't have a stash.

Having a safe global inventory makes the game entirely too easy.. In DayZ you could acquire tents and use them as storage on random areas of the map. If they would have expounded on this idea it would have been awesome. This whole game is going to turn into team A: the new people that just started and are trying to gather up an arsenal of weapons and Team B: the people who already have a stash and just camp the entrances to the safe zones.
post #227 of 559
I bought a alfa pioneer key and played the game or tested the game as they say for like 5 days total then deleted it, it was just totally too buggy to be released even in alfa stage and its still so buggy its unreal i'll wait till the game it finished and released for all the public till i reinstall and play again.
ADD1CTED
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II 960T @ 4.2 GHz ASUS M5A88-V EVO Evga Geforce GTX 670 FTW 4GB GSKILL Ripjaws X 1600 8 GB 2X4 CL 9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200 rpm Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200rpm OCZ Vertex 4 SSD 64GB ASUS DVD Burner 24x 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Corsair H60  3 NZXT 140mm  3 NZXT 120mm Sleeve Bearing fans Corsair SP120 High Performance Fans x2  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit BENQ G2222HDL 22" Generic LED Blue Backlit Keyboard Thermaltake Smart 850 watt 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
NZXT Phantom 410 SE White/Blue Cooler Master Storm Spawn Asus Xonar DG Sound Card Logitech z623 2.1 Speakers 
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
ADD1CTED
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II 960T @ 4.2 GHz ASUS M5A88-V EVO Evga Geforce GTX 670 FTW 4GB GSKILL Ripjaws X 1600 8 GB 2X4 CL 9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200 rpm Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200rpm OCZ Vertex 4 SSD 64GB ASUS DVD Burner 24x 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Corsair H60  3 NZXT 140mm  3 NZXT 120mm Sleeve Bearing fans Corsair SP120 High Performance Fans x2  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit BENQ G2222HDL 22" Generic LED Blue Backlit Keyboard Thermaltake Smart 850 watt 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
NZXT Phantom 410 SE White/Blue Cooler Master Storm Spawn Asus Xonar DG Sound Card Logitech z623 2.1 Speakers 
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
post #228 of 559
Had a few things I was curious about, so I made a Mythbuster series for WarZ and am going to try solving my questions and others (lets hear them if you got them)
post #229 of 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedEarth View Post

The problem is, just in a group of two, me and my mate struggle to survive due to the stupidly low amount of food available in the game and the fact that your food bar goes down insanely fast.
Anymore than two would be supremely hard unless you're carrying a ton of food from the get go.

I disagree, although, yes, the Food bar goes down really fast, the damage done by just it (your character starving) is rather low, me and my friends have had multiple times where we just walk around without food, surviving on bandages, painkillers and antibiotics.

Anyhow, anyone add me? biggrin.gif
   
Beautiful Card, Plays Great
Msi GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC Video Card
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3550 MSI Z77A-G45 MSI N560-GTX Ti Twin Frozr II OC Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1x 1 Hitachi 1TB 7200rpm // 1x 500gb Seagate 72... Scythe Ninja 3 Push-Pull Windows 8 Pro 64-bit // (Win7 Dualboot) LG 27" IPS277L 
KeyboardPowerCase
Razer BlackWidow Corsair TX650M Corsair Carbide 400R 
CPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel Core Duo T2350 30B2 Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family 
  hide details  
Reply
   
Beautiful Card, Plays Great
Msi GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC Video Card
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3550 MSI Z77A-G45 MSI N560-GTX Ti Twin Frozr II OC Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1x 1 Hitachi 1TB 7200rpm // 1x 500gb Seagate 72... Scythe Ninja 3 Push-Pull Windows 8 Pro 64-bit // (Win7 Dualboot) LG 27" IPS277L 
KeyboardPowerCase
Razer BlackWidow Corsair TX650M Corsair Carbide 400R 
CPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel Core Duo T2350 30B2 Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family 
  hide details  
Reply
post #230 of 559
How does the servers and that work? Are there seperate PVE servers?
Splash of blue
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 4690k Asus Maximus VII Hero Titan X 16GB Kingston HyperX Blue 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial BX100 1TB Prolimatech Megahalems Blue Windows 8.1 FTW Edition Asus PG348Q 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X Series 650w Silverstone FT05 Roccat Kone Pure Steelseries S&S 
Audio
Microlab Solo 9C 
  hide details  
Reply
Splash of blue
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 4690k Asus Maximus VII Hero Titan X 16GB Kingston HyperX Blue 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial BX100 1TB Prolimatech Megahalems Blue Windows 8.1 FTW Edition Asus PG348Q 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X Series 650w Silverstone FT05 Roccat Kone Pure Steelseries S&S 
Audio
Microlab Solo 9C 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PC Gaming
Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › [Official] The War Z Discussion Thread.