Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › Something fun to play?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Something fun to play?

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
I'm too much into RPG games though i've played many out there and one of the best ones were Dragon age 1 & 2 (all the expansions as well). Now i'm thinking of playing something new. I don't mind if it is MMORPG or MMOFPS but i just need to play something lol because i haven't played any game since June and replaying old games are putting me off.

My choice is very generalized but lets see what you guys have to suggest me smile.gif
post #2 of 18
ever tried Fable: The Lost Chapters? in my opinion it is one of the best games ever made...
Flicker
(29 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k Asrock Extreme 6 z77 NVIDIA GTX 770 G.skill 16gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
SAMSUNG 128GB SSD HITACHI 7200RPM HDD (2TB) LG 24x optical drive x2 2x bitfenix spectre green 120mm fans 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Noctua NH-U12P 4x included case fans Win 7 home premium 64bit Asus 27" 1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Cherry Black Green LED TKL silverstone 850W Corsair Carbide 500r logitech G400 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
razer goliathusXL Sony MDRZX600R Audio Technica ATH M-50 V-Moda XS Shadow 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Sony MDR XB 700 JDS Labs Objective2 ODAC Sony MDR-V6 Audio technica ATH M-35 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
V-Moda Crossfade M-100 (shadow) Audio Technica ATH-M35 Audio Technica SJ11 Audio Technica SJ55 
Other
Blue Snowball microphone 
  hide details  
Reply
Flicker
(29 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k Asrock Extreme 6 z77 NVIDIA GTX 770 G.skill 16gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
SAMSUNG 128GB SSD HITACHI 7200RPM HDD (2TB) LG 24x optical drive x2 2x bitfenix spectre green 120mm fans 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Noctua NH-U12P 4x included case fans Win 7 home premium 64bit Asus 27" 1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Cherry Black Green LED TKL silverstone 850W Corsair Carbide 500r logitech G400 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
razer goliathusXL Sony MDRZX600R Audio Technica ATH M-50 V-Moda XS Shadow 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Sony MDR XB 700 JDS Labs Objective2 ODAC Sony MDR-V6 Audio technica ATH M-35 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
V-Moda Crossfade M-100 (shadow) Audio Technica ATH-M35 Audio Technica SJ11 Audio Technica SJ55 
Other
Blue Snowball microphone 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 
never tried fable, but isn't that in first person view? Doesn't it get annoying at times when it limits your POV
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by shad0wboss View Post

never tried fable, but isn't that in first person view? Doesn't it get annoying at times when it limits your POV

Nope, Fable is third person.

Side Note: I never understand this argument, If a first person perspective and limited FOV (which can usually be changed via tweaks) bothers you, how do you live your life? (Not you specifically, just mean in general since I see people say this all the time) Or the people that HAVE to play driving/racing games in the exterior view, how can you stand to drive in real life? (For me it's always hood or cockpit and that depends on the cockpit visibility because some race cars, looking at you Le Mans, have horrible visibility). If you like it you like it, whatever, but I just don't see how that can possibly be a legitimate argument, and as I said, makes me wonder how people get through their lives in first person.
 
HTPC/Media Server
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz ASUS Maximus VI GENE Galaxy Geforce GTX 780 Hall of Fame 1188/1652(6... G.Skill Ripjaws X series 16gb ddr3 2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Neutron 256gb SSD Seagate Barracude 3tb Seagate Barracuda 3tb LG 12x Blu-Ray Drive 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair H100i Windows 8 Pro 64-bit Crossover Black Tune 2735 AMG 27 inch 2560x1440... LG 22EA53 21.5in 1080p IPS panel 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung Syncmaster 216BW 21.6inch 1680x1050 LCD... Ducky DK 1008-C OCN Edition w/MX Blue Switches Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000w Corsair Vengeance C70 Arctic White 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G600 Razer Vespula Logitech X-140 2.0 Speakers Logitech G930 Wireless 7.1 Surround Headset 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core 2 Duo P8700 2.53Ghz Geforce GTX 260M 1GB 6GB DDR2 500gb and 160gb 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 Pro 64bit 17.3" 16:9 1600x900 
  hide details  
Reply
 
HTPC/Media Server
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz ASUS Maximus VI GENE Galaxy Geforce GTX 780 Hall of Fame 1188/1652(6... G.Skill Ripjaws X series 16gb ddr3 2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Neutron 256gb SSD Seagate Barracude 3tb Seagate Barracuda 3tb LG 12x Blu-Ray Drive 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair H100i Windows 8 Pro 64-bit Crossover Black Tune 2735 AMG 27 inch 2560x1440... LG 22EA53 21.5in 1080p IPS panel 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung Syncmaster 216BW 21.6inch 1680x1050 LCD... Ducky DK 1008-C OCN Edition w/MX Blue Switches Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000w Corsair Vengeance C70 Arctic White 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G600 Razer Vespula Logitech X-140 2.0 Speakers Logitech G930 Wireless 7.1 Surround Headset 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core 2 Duo P8700 2.53Ghz Geforce GTX 260M 1GB 6GB DDR2 500gb and 160gb 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 Pro 64bit 17.3" 16:9 1600x900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 18
I know it's not a RPG but it definitely has a lot of RPG elements to it. It just came out 2 days ago and it's called XCOM: Enemy Unknown. It's a turn based strategy with lots of RPG elements. You have tech trees to research and unlock and build new weapons/armour with different stats. You customize and level up your squad soldiers abilites. It's super fun I have put almost 20 hours already in the past 2 days. biggrin.gif

XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Vespula vulgaris
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k MSI Z77 Mpower MSI N670GTX OC Mushkin Blackline Enhanced 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 830 128GB Swiftech Apogee HD 4 port XSPC Dual Bay Res D5 Black Koolance screw plug G1/4" Black x 14 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Mayhem's Pastel Sunset Yellow x3 Alphacool Cape Corp Coolplex Pro 25 LT Dazmode D5 STORM Vario Monsoon 3/8" - 5/8"  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Monsoon 5/8" 90* Akasa Viper 140mm x9 Watercool HEATKILLER® GPU-X³ GTX 670 Ni-Bl Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 420mm 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper 140mm Windows 7 64 bit Benq GL2250 Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 750w 
CaseMouseOther
NZXT Switch 810 SE Matte Black  Razer Deathadder MDPC  
  hide details  
Reply
Vespula vulgaris
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k MSI Z77 Mpower MSI N670GTX OC Mushkin Blackline Enhanced 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 830 128GB Swiftech Apogee HD 4 port XSPC Dual Bay Res D5 Black Koolance screw plug G1/4" Black x 14 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Mayhem's Pastel Sunset Yellow x3 Alphacool Cape Corp Coolplex Pro 25 LT Dazmode D5 STORM Vario Monsoon 3/8" - 5/8"  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Monsoon 5/8" 90* Akasa Viper 140mm x9 Watercool HEATKILLER® GPU-X³ GTX 670 Ni-Bl Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 420mm 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper 140mm Windows 7 64 bit Benq GL2250 Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 750w 
CaseMouseOther
NZXT Switch 810 SE Matte Black  Razer Deathadder MDPC  
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post

Nope, Fable is third person.
Side Note: I never understand this argument, If a first person perspective and limited FOV (which can usually be changed via tweaks) bothers you, how do you live your life? (Not you specifically, just mean in general since I see people say this all the time) Or the people that HAVE to play driving/racing games in the exterior view, how can you stand to drive in real life? (For me it's always hood or cockpit and that depends on the cockpit visibility because some race cars, looking at you Le Mans, have horrible visibility). If you like it you like it, whatever, but I just don't see how that can possibly be a legitimate argument, and as I said, makes me wonder how people get through their lives in first person.

that's not a valid arguement. We are talking about games and not real lives here. Real life is First person POV but you can't just compare it with games lol. I don't have words to explain but i personally don't like that due to one major reason which is combat, it makes combat way too sluggish because you never know when you're just close enough to hit the other object with melee weapons...that's my reason for not liking First person POV RPGs.

You also get to build up choice when you have better alternatives such as 3rd person view RPGs. They give you a much wider angle of view so why would anyone be interested in First person view. I think the main idea behind implementing the third person view in Skyrim was to get more people to play who don't like the limited First person view....

EDIT: Oh yeah, if i have an alternative in real life to get 3rd person view angle, i won't mind having it tongue.gif
Edited by shad0wboss - 10/11/12 at 7:16am
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by shad0wboss View Post

that's not a valid arguement. We are talking about games and not real lives here. Real life is First person POV but you can't just compare it with games lol. I don't have words to explain but i personally don't like that due to one major reason which is combat, it makes combat way too sluggish because you never know when you're just close enough to hit the other object with melee weapons...that's my reason for not liking First person POV RPGs.
You also get to build up choice when you have better alternatives such as 3rd person view RPGs. They give you a much wider angle of view so why would anyone be interested in First person view. I think the main idea behind implementing the third person view in Skyrim was to get more people to play who don't like the limited First person view....
EDIT: Oh yeah, if i have an alternative in real life to get 3rd person view angle, i won't mind having it tongue.gif

Skyrim wasn't the first to do it, TES has had it since Morrowind (Still my all time fave TES game btw) Also. I didn't mean to sound like every game should be first-person (However I refuse to play TES games in particular in 3rd, it always feels much more satisfying in first, a lot of which has to do with the terrible 3rd person animations the TES series has had.) And unlike what you say, I find it FAR easier to gauge my 'depth' per se, when it comes to hitting my target, and in 3rd person it just feels clunky as all get out. Now, an RPG such as Fable, or DAO in which you lock to your enemy, fine, nothing wrong with that, and in that style of game, 3rd is perfectly fine, no argument here. But in action games, I find 3rd to be a major hindrance, ESPECIALLY in any form of shooter. I cannot count the number of 3PS games I would have MUCH rather played in first, and would have loved the option. In fact I think they need to start doing that, give us both choices, please!

Anyway, again, I don't mean every game needs to be 3rd person, but I still find the argument of 'limited FOV' or 'I can't drive in first person' such a strange argument, particularly BECAUSE no one can ever tell me why. I mean I understand when a game has a terrible FOV of like 60 and you want to change it, but honestly, I have not heard a single reason other than, 'well I just like it better that way'. Fine, that's fine, it's your choice and your opinion, I just want to know if there's an explainable reason for it.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. You like RPGs, but not FPS? Or just not RPGs within that perspective? Borderlands 2 is awesome. I have 182 hours played already. However if you didn't like the first, then you probably won't like this one. Dishonored looks like a lot of fun, but that's also 1st person. I'm trying to think of what I've played recently... Perhaps Warhammer 40k Dawn of War for RTS? Or DoW 2 for a more squad based strategy? It has RPG-like elements in that your squads level up, pretty good game. Saints Row 3 if you haven't played it, fun as hell and so completely over-the-top, and funny. I hear Max Payne 3 is amazing. I haven't played much yet but that's due to a multi-monitor issue I have, but the bit I did play was awesome. Arkham City maybe?

It's kind of hard to give too many recommendations as you only mention you REALLY like RPGs, but didn't say much else. I've got like 320 games on Steam, I'm suree I can probably find something you'd like lol.
 
HTPC/Media Server
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz ASUS Maximus VI GENE Galaxy Geforce GTX 780 Hall of Fame 1188/1652(6... G.Skill Ripjaws X series 16gb ddr3 2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Neutron 256gb SSD Seagate Barracude 3tb Seagate Barracuda 3tb LG 12x Blu-Ray Drive 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair H100i Windows 8 Pro 64-bit Crossover Black Tune 2735 AMG 27 inch 2560x1440... LG 22EA53 21.5in 1080p IPS panel 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung Syncmaster 216BW 21.6inch 1680x1050 LCD... Ducky DK 1008-C OCN Edition w/MX Blue Switches Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000w Corsair Vengeance C70 Arctic White 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G600 Razer Vespula Logitech X-140 2.0 Speakers Logitech G930 Wireless 7.1 Surround Headset 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core 2 Duo P8700 2.53Ghz Geforce GTX 260M 1GB 6GB DDR2 500gb and 160gb 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 Pro 64bit 17.3" 16:9 1600x900 
  hide details  
Reply
 
HTPC/Media Server
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz ASUS Maximus VI GENE Galaxy Geforce GTX 780 Hall of Fame 1188/1652(6... G.Skill Ripjaws X series 16gb ddr3 2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Neutron 256gb SSD Seagate Barracude 3tb Seagate Barracuda 3tb LG 12x Blu-Ray Drive 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair H100i Windows 8 Pro 64-bit Crossover Black Tune 2735 AMG 27 inch 2560x1440... LG 22EA53 21.5in 1080p IPS panel 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung Syncmaster 216BW 21.6inch 1680x1050 LCD... Ducky DK 1008-C OCN Edition w/MX Blue Switches Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000w Corsair Vengeance C70 Arctic White 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G600 Razer Vespula Logitech X-140 2.0 Speakers Logitech G930 Wireless 7.1 Surround Headset 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core 2 Duo P8700 2.53Ghz Geforce GTX 260M 1GB 6GB DDR2 500gb and 160gb 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 Pro 64bit 17.3" 16:9 1600x900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 18
League of Legends
Team Fortress 2

both free
post #9 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post

Skyrim wasn't the first to do it, TES has had it since Morrowind (Still my all time fave TES game btw) Also. I didn't mean to sound like every game should be first-person (However I refuse to play TES games in particular in 3rd, it always feels much more satisfying in first, a lot of which has to do with the terrible 3rd person animations the TES series has had.) And unlike what you say, I find it FAR easier to gauge my 'depth' per se, when it comes to hitting my target, and in 3rd person it just feels clunky as all get out. Now, an RPG such as Fable, or DAO in which you lock to your enemy, fine, nothing wrong with that, and in that style of game, 3rd is perfectly fine, no argument here. But in action games, I find 3rd to be a major hindrance, ESPECIALLY in any form of shooter. I cannot count the number of 3PS games I would have MUCH rather played in first, and would have loved the option. In fact I think they need to start doing that, give us both choices, please!
Anyway, again, I don't mean every game needs to be 3rd person, but I still find the argument of 'limited FOV' or 'I can't drive in first person' such a strange argument, particularly BECAUSE no one can ever tell me why. I mean I understand when a game has a terrible FOV of like 60 and you want to change it, but honestly, I have not heard a single reason other than, 'well I just like it better that way'. Fine, that's fine, it's your choice and your opinion, I just want to know if there's an explainable reason for it.
Anyway, back to the topic at hand. You like RPGs, but not FPS? Or just not RPGs within that perspective? Borderlands 2 is awesome. I have 182 hours played already. However if you didn't like the first, then you probably won't like this one. Dishonored looks like a lot of fun, but that's also 1st person. I'm trying to think of what I've played recently... Perhaps Warhammer 40k Dawn of War for RTS? Or DoW 2 for a more squad based strategy? It has RPG-like elements in that your squads level up, pretty good game. Saints Row 3 if you haven't played it, fun as hell and so completely over-the-top, and funny. I hear Max Payne 3 is amazing. I haven't played much yet but that's due to a multi-monitor issue I have, but the bit I did play was awesome. Arkham City maybe?
It's kind of hard to give too many recommendations as you only mention you REALLY like RPGs, but didn't say much else. I've got like 320 games on Steam, I'm suree I can probably find something you'd like lol.

Well i couldn't word my argument properly but yeah most of the points you mentioned there, i agree with you. For example, FPS is FPS, TPS is just wrong...well you can say that i just don't like action RPG then tongue.gif
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by shad0wboss View Post

Well i couldn't word my argument properly but yeah most of the points you mentioned there, i agree with you. For example, FPS is FPS, TPS is just wrong...well you can say that i just don't like action RPG then tongue.gif

Well... action RPG can have different styles within that. TES games are one kind of ARPG, I consider Borderlands an ARPG too, but Diablo-esque games are also ARPGs, Have you played Torchlight 2? Great game and only 20 bucks if you like that style.
 
HTPC/Media Server
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz ASUS Maximus VI GENE Galaxy Geforce GTX 780 Hall of Fame 1188/1652(6... G.Skill Ripjaws X series 16gb ddr3 2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Neutron 256gb SSD Seagate Barracude 3tb Seagate Barracuda 3tb LG 12x Blu-Ray Drive 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair H100i Windows 8 Pro 64-bit Crossover Black Tune 2735 AMG 27 inch 2560x1440... LG 22EA53 21.5in 1080p IPS panel 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung Syncmaster 216BW 21.6inch 1680x1050 LCD... Ducky DK 1008-C OCN Edition w/MX Blue Switches Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000w Corsair Vengeance C70 Arctic White 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G600 Razer Vespula Logitech X-140 2.0 Speakers Logitech G930 Wireless 7.1 Surround Headset 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core 2 Duo P8700 2.53Ghz Geforce GTX 260M 1GB 6GB DDR2 500gb and 160gb 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 Pro 64bit 17.3" 16:9 1600x900 
  hide details  
Reply
 
HTPC/Media Server
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz ASUS Maximus VI GENE Galaxy Geforce GTX 780 Hall of Fame 1188/1652(6... G.Skill Ripjaws X series 16gb ddr3 2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Neutron 256gb SSD Seagate Barracude 3tb Seagate Barracuda 3tb LG 12x Blu-Ray Drive 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair H100i Windows 8 Pro 64-bit Crossover Black Tune 2735 AMG 27 inch 2560x1440... LG 22EA53 21.5in 1080p IPS panel 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung Syncmaster 216BW 21.6inch 1680x1050 LCD... Ducky DK 1008-C OCN Edition w/MX Blue Switches Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000w Corsair Vengeance C70 Arctic White 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G600 Razer Vespula Logitech X-140 2.0 Speakers Logitech G930 Wireless 7.1 Surround Headset 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core 2 Duo P8700 2.53Ghz Geforce GTX 260M 1GB 6GB DDR2 500gb and 160gb 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 Pro 64bit 17.3" 16:9 1600x900 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PC Gaming
Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › Something fun to play?