Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles › [NH] EU cripples future graphics cards [Exclusive]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[NH] EU cripples future graphics cards [Exclusive] - Page 9  

post #81 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeles View Post

Government has the potential to be abusive. We don't live in Orwell's 1984. People can still overthrow governments. And depending on the country, they get a say in who's a part of that government.

Very true. And as I said before, if this actually came to fruition, I would hope that the people would overthrow the tyrants in charge of the EU.
post #82 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Storm View Post

I highly doubt that GPU energy usage in the EU is actually all that measurable when you factor in all the other sources of energy usage. I mean what is next? Require toasters to stay under a certain power draw?

There is already a limit for household appliances like toasters.

post #83 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobhell View Post

There is already a limit for household appliances like toasters.

You mean besides the physical limitation based on wire gauge and current draw? Or is there some arbitrary limitation that says "Even though the wall outlet and wiring can support 20A @ 120VAC, you can only consume 8A @ 120VAC (or what ever the standard is for that particular country).
post #84 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordikon View Post

The EU is one of the largest economic areas in the world, if you think that restrictions placed on products sold in that region won't affect the companies selling those products, and won't thereby affect you in some way (say slightly higher prices for high-end GPUs), then you're being nieve.

I'm not in the least bit being naive. The EU can place whatever restrictions they want upon a product. And costs will go up. But what does that have to do with the tea in china? If my costs on GPU's weren't going up from inflation, or potentially this, they would go up from something else. There's a relation here, no doubt, but not as far as my GPU choice. Far more likely is that the EU populace will end up picking up the tab for every GPU. Or they will be restricted to purchasing something like 7750's (no 6pin required). Honestly there are a hundred ways it could play out, as you and several people have mentioned.

But none of that changes that I'll still be able to buy my flagship GPU's in the interim, and the people in the EU wouldn't.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[INTEL] i7 930, 4.4ghz @ 1.27V [Asus] Rampage III Extreme [Sapphire] 2X 6950's Flashed to 6970's @950/1425 [G.SKILL] Ripjaws X Series 12GB DDR3 @ 2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
[Crucial] 2X C300's in Raid0 & [Samsung] 2X 1TB F3 [Hewlett-Packard] DVD-RW [Microsoft] Windows 7 64-bit [Asus] 3X 23" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
[Microsoft] Sidewinder X6 [Kingwin] Lazer LZ-1000 [Xigmatek] Elysium (Being Modded) [Microsoft] Sidewinder 
Mouse Pad
[XTrac] Ripper 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[INTEL] i7 930, 4.4ghz @ 1.27V [Asus] Rampage III Extreme [Sapphire] 2X 6950's Flashed to 6970's @950/1425 [G.SKILL] Ripjaws X Series 12GB DDR3 @ 2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
[Crucial] 2X C300's in Raid0 & [Samsung] 2X 1TB F3 [Hewlett-Packard] DVD-RW [Microsoft] Windows 7 64-bit [Asus] 3X 23" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
[Microsoft] Sidewinder X6 [Kingwin] Lazer LZ-1000 [Xigmatek] Elysium (Being Modded) [Microsoft] Sidewinder 
Mouse Pad
[XTrac] Ripper 
  hide details  
post #85 of 125
How many people actually use high end GPU's? 1 out of every 1000 people? not everyone is an enthusiast. gpu's have literally NO impact on power consumption because the userbase is so small. They act as if everyone is using one.
New i7 950 build
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 @ 4.2ghz MSI Big Bang x58  Crossfire Sapphire 7970 OC  6gb HyperX 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
C300 64gb , Agility2 90gb, 2x WD greens Raid 0 Samsung 830 series 64gb H100 Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Crossover 1440p OCZ ZX850W Lian li Pc-x2000f 
  hide details  
New i7 950 build
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 @ 4.2ghz MSI Big Bang x58  Crossfire Sapphire 7970 OC  6gb HyperX 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
C300 64gb , Agility2 90gb, 2x WD greens Raid 0 Samsung 830 series 64gb H100 Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Crossover 1440p OCZ ZX850W Lian li Pc-x2000f 
  hide details  
post #86 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by strap624 View Post

How many people actually use high end GPU's? 1 out of every 1000 people? not everyone is an enthusiast. gpu's have literally NO impact on power consumption because the userbase is so small. They act as if everyone is using one.

This, plus.. like has already been said... they're not running at max draw the entire time. The whole premise is flawed... I don't expect this to go through. With it being such old information as well, it's likely dead on the floor.
Wisk, from post #49 on this thread... already basically debunked this, yet we continue.
Malice
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K ASUS P8Z68-V GEN3 Gigabyte 7950 Windforce 3 G Skill Ripjaw X 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Force Series 3 SSD 240GB Samsung 500gb HDD  Samsung 300gb HDD Seagate 500gb HDD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate 1TB HDD LG DVD Super-Multi Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B CPU cooler Windows 7 64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VH236H 23" HD Saitek Eclipse I Backlit - Blue Cooler Master Silent Pro 800W Gold Cooler Master HAF932 Advanced 
MouseAudio
Roccat Kone+ Razer Carcharias 
  hide details  
Malice
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K ASUS P8Z68-V GEN3 Gigabyte 7950 Windforce 3 G Skill Ripjaw X 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Force Series 3 SSD 240GB Samsung 500gb HDD  Samsung 300gb HDD Seagate 500gb HDD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate 1TB HDD LG DVD Super-Multi Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B CPU cooler Windows 7 64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VH236H 23" HD Saitek Eclipse I Backlit - Blue Cooler Master Silent Pro 800W Gold Cooler Master HAF932 Advanced 
MouseAudio
Roccat Kone+ Razer Carcharias 
  hide details  
post #87 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post

You're speculating. Nice, but worthless.
By that logic, so was the garbage that you spewed. Way to invalidate your own argument. You should probably not discredit speculation after you've just speculated.
Quote:
Nice strawman. When you have no ground to stand on, instead attack the other person. Way to show some character and make an witless assumption that shows your intelligence! thumb.gif
Ooh, fun! Now I get to educate you! So yes, since you seem to think me as less intelligent, let me show you how you're actually the one that is lacking knowledge.

That is not a straw man. That was ad hominem. Ad hominem means "to the man." It is a personal attack.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

The straw man fallacy is where someone attacks a viewpoint that they obviously do not hold.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Here's a straw man:
Since you seem to be uneducated on the difference between a straw man and ad hominem, you are obviously an anti-intellectual and supporter of willful ignorance.

Ad hominem is only an issue when the argument being made solely consists of a personal attack. Since my argument was primarily comprised of logos — speculation, as you put it — it's a non-issue. Irrelevant perhaps, but your hilarious post just validated that claim.
Quote:
Just because the two subjects are related per this discussion vis-à-vis economics, does not make it on topic. We could also reference the rising debt and theoretical failure of the euro, but that's off topic.
This whole thread is inherently against the TOS, as it deals with politics. If you'd like to call out someone for bringing economic systems into the discussion, you should try calling out the first person who did so.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 9750 (stock) MSI MS-7548 (Aspen) HD 6950 @ 971/1387 1.25v 8GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
750GB Windows 7 64-bit ASUS VH238H 1920x1080 Seasonic X-650 Gold 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Rosewill Smart One Razer Naga Razer Scarab 
  hide details  
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 9750 (stock) MSI MS-7548 (Aspen) HD 6950 @ 971/1387 1.25v 8GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
750GB Windows 7 64-bit ASUS VH238H 1920x1080 Seasonic X-650 Gold 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Rosewill Smart One Razer Naga Razer Scarab 
  hide details  
post #88 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobhell View Post

There is already a limit for household appliances like toasters.

Well then this move is a little more understandable since they are just making power requirements more uniform.

Though this could be good...honestly I would mind seeing performance increases getting the back burner for a couple years and have focus get put on power usage. It is seldom we get a game these days that actually stresses a high powered system anyway unless you are playing at some very large resolutions stretched across multiple monitors. In which case you will have multiple GPUs so you will be fine anyway.
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2600K @ 4.7GHz Asus P8P67 B3 GTX 580 EVGA Hydro Copper 2 GTX 580 EVGA  
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws bunch of 'em Blu-Ray For movies Windows 8.1 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
24.4" Hans G HH251 X2 Yamakasi DS270  Blah 1000watt Super Flower 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Built into Desk Microsoft SideWinder X8 Comfy one... Creative Extreme Gamer 
  hide details  
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2600K @ 4.7GHz Asus P8P67 B3 GTX 580 EVGA Hydro Copper 2 GTX 580 EVGA  
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws bunch of 'em Blu-Ray For movies Windows 8.1 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
24.4" Hans G HH251 X2 Yamakasi DS270  Blah 1000watt Super Flower 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Built into Desk Microsoft SideWinder X8 Comfy one... Creative Extreme Gamer 
  hide details  
post #89 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valor958 View Post


This, plus.. like has already been said... they're not running at max draw the entire time. The whole premise is flawed... I don't expect this to go through. With it being such old information as well, it's likely dead on the floor.
Wisk, from post #49 on this thread... already basically debunked this, yet we continue.

Lol do you really think the politicians at the EU know that? I doubt that any politician knows much about computers

post #90 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobhell View Post

Lol do you really think the politicians at the EU know that? I doubt that any politician knows much about computers

Frankly, the fact that a politician can tie their shoes in the morning is a wonder... though.. many probably have staffers to do that for them now biggrin.gif
Malice
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K ASUS P8Z68-V GEN3 Gigabyte 7950 Windforce 3 G Skill Ripjaw X 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Force Series 3 SSD 240GB Samsung 500gb HDD  Samsung 300gb HDD Seagate 500gb HDD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate 1TB HDD LG DVD Super-Multi Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B CPU cooler Windows 7 64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VH236H 23" HD Saitek Eclipse I Backlit - Blue Cooler Master Silent Pro 800W Gold Cooler Master HAF932 Advanced 
MouseAudio
Roccat Kone+ Razer Carcharias 
  hide details  
Malice
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K ASUS P8Z68-V GEN3 Gigabyte 7950 Windforce 3 G Skill Ripjaw X 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Force Series 3 SSD 240GB Samsung 500gb HDD  Samsung 300gb HDD Seagate 500gb HDD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate 1TB HDD LG DVD Super-Multi Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B CPU cooler Windows 7 64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VH236H 23" HD Saitek Eclipse I Backlit - Blue Cooler Master Silent Pro 800W Gold Cooler Master HAF932 Advanced 
MouseAudio
Roccat Kone+ Razer Carcharias 
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles › [NH] EU cripples future graphics cards [Exclusive]