Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › Hyperx 3k Raid 0 on a Maximus V Formula
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hyperx 3k Raid 0 on a Maximus V Formula

post #1 of 2
Thread Starter 
As the title says im trying to set up RAID 0 with my hyper x 3k 120gb drives on my MVF. I read this guide http://www.overclock.net/t/1227670/how-to-set-up-raid and I have a few questions.

1. What should my stripe size be? I am looking to boot as fast as possible and have heard that 4kb stripe size is best for this. I also did a google search specifically for these drives and i found a guide on extremesystems that recommends 64kb stripes.

2. Will I have to do a fresh install of windows?

Any other tips you have will probably be useful as I have never done RAID before. Thanks in advance!
Made In America
(16 items)
 
Basement Box
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3770k Asus Maximus V Formula MSI R7970 Lightning MSI r7970 Lightning 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (W7) Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 64GB (TC Ubuntu) Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm  Corsair H80 Windows 7 Professional 64bit 
KeyboardPowerCaseAudio
Ducky Shine II (MX Blues, White LEDs) Corsair AX 1200 CaseLabs SM8 Sennheiser HD 435 
  hide details  
Reply
Made In America
(16 items)
 
Basement Box
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3770k Asus Maximus V Formula MSI R7970 Lightning MSI r7970 Lightning 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (W7) Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 64GB (TC Ubuntu) Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm  Corsair H80 Windows 7 Professional 64bit 
KeyboardPowerCaseAudio
Ducky Shine II (MX Blues, White LEDs) Corsair AX 1200 CaseLabs SM8 Sennheiser HD 435 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunfish31831 View Post

As the title says im trying to set up RAID 0 with my hyper x 3k 120gb drives on my MVF. I read this guide http://www.overclock.net/t/1227670/how-to-set-up-raid and I have a few questions.

1. What should my stripe size be? I am looking to boot as fast as possible and have heard that 4kb stripe size is best for this. I also did a google search specifically for these drives and i found a guide on extremesystems that recommends 64kb stripes.
The default 128 is fine.
Quote:
2. Will I have to do a fresh install of windows?
I think you can get away with doing a system image, but you will need to make sure the SATA mode is set to RAID before you make the image. I am not sure it it will work tho as I have never tried it myself.
Quote:
Any other tips you have will probably be useful as I have never done RAID before. Thanks in advance!
Always have a backup of the data on the RAID array. I usually backup all my data every night to 2 locations.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: SSD
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › Hyperx 3k Raid 0 on a Maximus V Formula