Welcome to project: Information Overload
I started researching computer building and watercooling a couple weeks ago, and it has indeed been a challenging undertaking. Reading through build logs from Reglar and cpachris (and many others in the community) is both exciting and mindblowing. As with anything, trying to process massive amounts of info in a short time frame is usually not an ideal environment for success, but despite knowing this, I will push ahead and create the best build I am capable of. I will use this thread as a springboard, and hopefully by the time we are done here, I will be well on my way to building my first ever watercooling rig.
As a little background, the only PC I have ever built is shown below.
It's an old Lian Li case with an X58 mobo, GTX 295, Gskill Ram, Arctic cooler, PC P&C 750W PSU, and Claro Halo soundcard
This is the depth of my experience with casebuilding. At the time I didn't really do any research, just threw it together and figured it out from there. However, watercooling and custom case design is a bit trickier of a beast it seems.
For further Viewing, I just moved into a new place, and don't have my office set up yet, so I am using the dining room table for my rig. Note the desktop connected via ethernet to the laptop since I don't have a wireless card installed.
Also, here is the workbench where I plan to do a lot of the build (in the garage). I would like to either coat the wood, or use some kind of cover or matting, so I have a clean surface to work on. Any suggestions with this? I guess I can also do the build inside, but I thought the workbench was cool.
Don't worry that this thread is a bit ugly. I will create a new thread in the build sections that polishes things up quite a bit.
Thanks to cpachris for the format below
Hardware List and Status:
Here is the legend. Green means I’ve already got it. Orange means its been ordered (yellow text isn’t real legible). Red means I’m still deciding/researching the item, or waiting because I don’t yet need the part. I’ll update this Hardware Status in the OP as things change:
- CaseLabs Merlin SM8
- CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K
- Motherboard: Rampage Extreme iv
- GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 670’s Superclocked 4GB with backplate Even though I have these, it's still not set in stone. I am worried that the GTX 670 may not have enough processing power and limit me in some ways. When run in SLI, should I run into any issues? Do I need to go 3 way SLI? Obviously the Vram is overkill, but I did not even want to come close to coming up short on the graphics side. Any suggestions here much appreciated.
- Memory: 16 gb, Samsung 30nm (2x4GB)x2
- PSU: Seasonic X-1250
- Raid Controller: Do I need this?
- OS Drive: 2x 128 gb SSD Samsung 830 in Raid 0
- Extra Storage: 2x 128 gb SSD Vertex 4 Series
- Extra Storage: 2x 1TB WD external
- Radiators: Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper 480mm
- Radiators: Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta 240
- Pumps: D5 vario or MP35X? or other? is this enough?
- Pump Top: ?? Do i need this?
- Reservoir: TBD? considering XSPC, not sure here
- Radiator Fans: Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-3 120mm x 25mm
- Case Fans: Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-3 120mm x 25mm
- CPU Waterblock: XSPC Raystorm
- GPU Waterblocks: 2x XSPC Razer GTX 670
- Motherboard Waterblocks: XSPC X79 Rampage IV WaterBlock Set - Copper Block Not sure if this block is too restrictive for just running one pump. Any other thoughts on other blocks?
- TIM: Indigo Extreme
- Tubing: Tygon Black 1/2" x 3/4" or ???
- Fittings: Monsoon Compression /Bitspower / Swiftech Lok? Not sure if I need extensions, or angled fittings, or what. I want all compression though, I do not even want to think about leaks.
Monitoring and Control
These are still all TBD, I have done no research here, but apparently I need this. Any suggestions much appreciated.
- Aquacomputer Aquaero 5 XT
- Aquacomputer PowerAdjust 2
- Monitor: BenqXL2420T, Dell U2311H
- Soundcard: TBD
- Sleeving: TBD
- Headphones: Sennheiser HD 598
- Blu-Ray/DVD Reader/Writer: LiteOn 12x
Edited by ballnuts - 10/19/12 at 3:26am