Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Servers › Help building server
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help building server

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I built a computer for my home and overkilled a lot of it. but I was telling my job and they want me to build them one and their IT guy said he would help me out. he has some ideas, but I was wondering if I was overkilling or if I was or if we should go more.

anyhow this is where I am at.

we have one server that has 7 WorkStations. there is about 140GB total of everything that will go onto the Server. I love SSD drives so is a 260GB overkill? Also I would want to do 2, just in case one fails, that the other backs it up.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167086
(I see no point in getting HD drives. thoughts?)

I started thinking of getting the same motherboard I have, and the IT guy told me to look at Servermother boards. what do you all think?

Also he wanted to go a lot of Dual stuff (power/motherboards/etc) and to me it was just way overkill for this small office.

I know all the programs I run can go on windows 7. so there is no need in buying windows server 2011. and I know that when I buy new programs we will be running, it will be cheaper price programs VS buying server programs.
- so is this ok for me to look at doing windows 7 or 8?
- side note: if I have to run something that has to be ran off of server 2003 or higher, then I can just put it on this soon to be old server.

I would like to get an i5. right now I am running off an i2 quad core. it is lagging down a little. (there is only one program that takes forever to pull client files....and that might be because of something else).

with whatever board you say for me to go with, will tell me what processor to look at.

I am looking at something that is 600W +++ on power supply.

Any ideas on great fans. (sound is not an issue because it is in a back room with the door closed.....so we can run an attic fan for all I care.)

also does anyone know any point on having a blueray RW over a DVD RW??? besides 300$.

I am also thinking of getting a mid-full tower so I have better working room.

I will be buying this within a week and longest at 2 weeks.


Thank you for your help. (note: price is set at 2500. but so far it seems like 1500 would be well enough)
post #2 of 11
RAID will be a must if you're going to be storing anything important, especially at your workplace. Get a good LSI, Adaptec, etc, RAID card and get some 15K SAS drives if you want the speed of a SSD in a disk based drive. But if you want to use SSDs, make sure you get Intel or Samsung drives.
Server
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600k Intel H67DE PNY Verto 9600GT (Thanks to ihasfip!) 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
(3) Seagate 7200K 1TB (2) Hitachi 7200K.12 1TB Proxmox Samsung 17" Corsair GS600 
Case
Chenbro tower 
  hide details  
Reply
Server
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600k Intel H67DE PNY Verto 9600GT (Thanks to ihasfip!) 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
(3) Seagate 7200K 1TB (2) Hitachi 7200K.12 1TB Proxmox Samsung 17" Corsair GS600 
Case
Chenbro tower 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashburn82 View Post

but I was telling my job and they want me to build them one and their IT guy said he would help me out. he has some ideas, but I was wondering if I was overkilling or if I was or if we should go more.

Kinda curious why the IT guy can't do this himself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashburn82 View Post

anyhow this is where I am at.
we have one server that has 7 WorkStations. there is about 140GB total of everything that will go onto the Server. I love SSD drives so is a 260GB overkill? Also I would want to do 2, just in case one fails, that the other backs it up.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167086
(I see no point in getting HD drives. thoughts?)

SSDs are great but if you want reliability, I would suggest you look into some 300GB+ SAS drives attached to a RAID controller. Also, look into some backup solutions (i.e. external hard drive backups or online back up service).
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashburn82 View Post

I started thinking of getting the same motherboard I have, and the IT guy told me to look at Servermother boards. what do you all think? Also he wanted to go a lot of Dual stuff (power/motherboards/etc) and to me it was just way overkill for this small office.

Building a home computer and a server for a workplace is very different. It doesn't matter that it's for a small business; it still needs to be reliable. If you plan to build your own, look into SuperMicro or Intel server boards, possibly a LGA 1155 chipset one that supports an Intel Xeon E3 processor and ECC RAM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashburn82 View Post

I know all the programs I run can go on windows 7. so there is no need in buying windows server 2011. and I know that when I buy new programs we will be running, it will be cheaper price programs VS buying server programs. - so is this ok for me to look at doing windows 7 or 8? - side note: if I have to run something that has to be ran off of server 2003 or higher, then I can just put it on this soon to be old server. I would like to get an i5. right now I am running off an i2 quad core. it is lagging down a little. (there is only one program that takes forever to pull client files....and that might be because of something else).

The OS will depend on what this server's functions are (file server, application server, mail server, etc). I suggest you look into something like Windows Small Business Server.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashburn82 View Post

with whatever board you say for me to go with, will tell me what processor to look at. I am looking at something that is 600W +++ on power supply. Any ideas on great fans. (sound is not an issue because it is in a back room with the door closed.....so we can run an attic fan for all I care.) also does anyone know any point on having a blueray RW over a DVD RW??? besides 300$. I am also thinking of getting a mid-full tower so I have better working room. I will be buying this within a week and longest at 2 weeks. Thank you for your help. (note: price is set at 2500. but so far it seems like 1500 would be well enough)

Not really sure what you are going to use a Blu-ray drive in a server for. Look into getting redundant power supplies.

If you have a $2500 budget, I suggest you look into a Dell or HP server. You can get good deals on off lease or refurbished servers at www.dell.com/outlet, which comes with 1+ year warranty on parts and labor.
VH001
(17 items)
 
VH002
(15 items)
 
VH003
(16 items)
 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel Xeon E5-2670 Intel Xeon E5-2670 SuperMicro X9DR7-LN4F Onboard Graphics 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
128GB (16 x 8GB) 1333MHz ECC Registered DDR3 4 x Micron M500 480GB SSD 4 x Hitachi 450GB 10K SAS 8 x Toshiba 5TB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Intel 750 400GB NVME SSD 2 x Dynatron R22 6 x SuperMicro 5K RPM Fans VMWare vSphere 6 
MonitorPowerCaseOther
IPMI SuperMicro 650W PSU SuperMicro CSE-833T-650B Black 3U Rackmount Ser... Intel X520-T2 Dual Port 10GbE Server Adapter 
Other
HP P420 1GB Smart Array Controller 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel Xeon E5-2670 Intel Xeon E5-2670 Intel S2600CP2J Onboard Graphics 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
128GB (16 x 8GB) 1333MHz ECC Registered DDR3 4 x Micron M500 480GB SSD 4 x Hitachi 450GB 10K SAS Intel 750 400GB NVME SSD 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
2 x Intel AUPSRCBTP VMWare vSphere 6 IPMI Intel 750W PSU 
CaseOtherOther
Intel P4216XXMHGR 4U Server Chassis Intel X520-T2 Dual Port 10GbE Server Adapter HP P420 1GB Smart Array Controller 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel Xeon E5-2670 Intel Xeon E5-2670 SuperMicro X9DR3-F Onboard Graphics 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
128GB (16 x 8GB) 1333MHz ECC Registered DDR3 4 x Micron M500 480GB SSD 4 x Hitachi 450GB 10K SAS Intel 750 400GB NVME SSD 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
2 x Dynatron R22 3 x SuperMicro 5K RPM Fans VMWare vSphere 6 IPMI 
PowerCaseOtherOther
SuperMicro 563W PSU SuperMicro CSE-825TQ-563LPB 2U Rackmount Server... Intel X520-T2 Dual Port 10GbE Server Adapter HP P420 1GB Smart Array Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
VH001
(17 items)
 
VH002
(15 items)
 
VH003
(16 items)
 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel Xeon E5-2670 Intel Xeon E5-2670 SuperMicro X9DR7-LN4F Onboard Graphics 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
128GB (16 x 8GB) 1333MHz ECC Registered DDR3 4 x Micron M500 480GB SSD 4 x Hitachi 450GB 10K SAS 8 x Toshiba 5TB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Intel 750 400GB NVME SSD 2 x Dynatron R22 6 x SuperMicro 5K RPM Fans VMWare vSphere 6 
MonitorPowerCaseOther
IPMI SuperMicro 650W PSU SuperMicro CSE-833T-650B Black 3U Rackmount Ser... Intel X520-T2 Dual Port 10GbE Server Adapter 
Other
HP P420 1GB Smart Array Controller 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel Xeon E5-2670 Intel Xeon E5-2670 Intel S2600CP2J Onboard Graphics 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
128GB (16 x 8GB) 1333MHz ECC Registered DDR3 4 x Micron M500 480GB SSD 4 x Hitachi 450GB 10K SAS Intel 750 400GB NVME SSD 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
2 x Intel AUPSRCBTP VMWare vSphere 6 IPMI Intel 750W PSU 
CaseOtherOther
Intel P4216XXMHGR 4U Server Chassis Intel X520-T2 Dual Port 10GbE Server Adapter HP P420 1GB Smart Array Controller 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel Xeon E5-2670 Intel Xeon E5-2670 SuperMicro X9DR3-F Onboard Graphics 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
128GB (16 x 8GB) 1333MHz ECC Registered DDR3 4 x Micron M500 480GB SSD 4 x Hitachi 450GB 10K SAS Intel 750 400GB NVME SSD 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
2 x Dynatron R22 3 x SuperMicro 5K RPM Fans VMWare vSphere 6 IPMI 
PowerCaseOtherOther
SuperMicro 563W PSU SuperMicro CSE-825TQ-563LPB 2U Rackmount Server... Intel X520-T2 Dual Port 10GbE Server Adapter HP P420 1GB Smart Array Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashburn82 View Post

I built a computer for my home and overkilled a lot of it. but I was telling my job and they want me to build them one and their IT guy said he would help me out. he has some ideas, but I was wondering if I was overkilling or if I was or if we should go more.

anyhow this is where I am at.

we have one server that has 7 WorkStations. there is about 140GB total of everything that will go onto the Server. I love SSD drives so is a 260GB overkill? Also I would want to do 2, just in case one fails, that the other backs it up.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167086
(I see no point in getting HD drives. thoughts?)

I would get some raided hard drives instead. as zfedora pointed out, some nice high rpm sas hard drvies in raid will match the ssds in speed and out do them in storage. will still be alot more $$ then consummer hard drives but cheaper then ssds and more reliable.
Quote:
I started thinking of getting the same motherboard I have, and the IT guy told me to look at Servermother boards. what do you all think?
I think you should look at server motherboards as well. they will have support for things like ECC and other things that you won't get with a consummer board
Quote:
Also he wanted to go a lot of Dual stuff (power/motherboards/etc) and to me it was just way overkill for this small office.

I know all the programs I run can go on windows 7. so there is no need in buying windows server 2011. and I know that when I buy new programs we will be running, it will be cheaper price programs VS buying server programs.
- so is this ok for me to look at doing windows 7 or 8?
- side note: if I have to run something that has to be ran off of server 2003 or higher, then I can just put it on this soon to be old server.
if this is just a file server I highly recommend using FreeBSD or Linux instead. lighter foot print, things like ZFS, more reliable
Quote:
I would like to get an i5. right now I am running off an i2 quad core. it is lagging down a little. (there is only one program that takes forever to pull client files....and that might be because of something else).

get an Xeons for ECC
Quote:
with whatever board you say for me to go with, will tell me what processor to look at.

I am looking at something that is 600W +++ on power supply.

Any ideas on great fans. (sound is not an issue because it is in a back room with the door closed.....so we can run an attic fan for all I care.)

also does anyone know any point on having a blueray RW over a DVD RW??? besides 300$.

why does this server need any kind of OD?


Quote:
I am also thinking of getting a mid-full tower so I have better working room.

I will be buying this within a week and longest at 2 weeks.


Thank you for your help. (note: price is set at 2500. but so far it seems like 1500 would be well enough)

with 2500 you should definitly be going for ECC and SAS in this build
post #5 of 11
If you're dead set on getting an SSD, just get an SSD boot drive and build your raid array with 15K SAS drives (Check out Seagate 15K Cheetahs), they're a ton more reliable.

And to address your IT guy's "dual everything" logic: you're not nearly going to need redundant power supplies, dual CPUs, etc. All of that most likely wont fit into your $2500 budget.

Also the fact that you say you can run all of your server programs on Windows 7 makes me sadface. Get Windows Server 2011 Essentials at least, if you're going to be running a Windows-based server environment. You'll be happy you did, because Windows Server 2011 really makes it easier to manage a domain if you want to get one setup, manage shares, manage emails, etc.

Here's what I recommend:

build.PNG

Set up a RAID1 or 10 array to have your data mirrored for redundancy and not worry about it thumb.gif
Server
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600k Intel H67DE PNY Verto 9600GT (Thanks to ihasfip!) 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
(3) Seagate 7200K 1TB (2) Hitachi 7200K.12 1TB Proxmox Samsung 17" Corsair GS600 
Case
Chenbro tower 
  hide details  
Reply
Server
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600k Intel H67DE PNY Verto 9600GT (Thanks to ihasfip!) 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
(3) Seagate 7200K 1TB (2) Hitachi 7200K.12 1TB Proxmox Samsung 17" Corsair GS600 
Case
Chenbro tower 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZFedora View Post

RAID will be a must if you're going to be storing anything important, especially at your workplace. Get a good LSI, Adaptec, etc, RAID card and get some 15K SAS drives if you want the speed of a SSD in a disk based drive. But if you want to use SSDs, make sure you get Intel or Samsung drives.
thanks
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibesh View Post

Kinda curious why the IT guy can't do this himself.
We changed IT guys because the old guy was scared to touch the server. (and it is a good assumption he had no idea what he was doing. He charged the jhob for 1000 dollars on regular anti virus (not even server or business) then he said it cost 800 for the virus package (which I could understand if it was server/business antivirus). then he installed only free additions onto everything. so the old IT over charged.

anyhow, this is a new IT guy and has been doing it for a long time. but he seems like he wanted to get out.

SSDs are great but if you want reliability, I would suggest you look into some 300GB+ SAS drives attached to a RAID controller. Also, look into some backup solutions (i.e. external hard drive backups or online back up service).

we have a lot of backups. we have an external hard drive, 260GB thumb drives that I take home nightly and replace with another one the next day; and we have carbonite.

I will still get another backup drive to the SAS drive or SSD. if everyone seems to say go SAS drives with RAID, then I will do so. thanks

Building a home computer and a server for a workplace is very different. It doesn't matter that it's for a small business; it still needs to be reliable. If you plan to build your own, look into SuperMicro or Intel server boards, possibly a LGA 1155 chipset one that supports an Intel Xeon E3 processor and ECC RAM.

so a server board helps out very weel I take it. I was wondering this last night.
would you say LGA 1155 over a LGA 2011?
also you answered my question on the supermicro. I was going to ask what people thought on that brand. if you said so already, then it answers my question. thanks.

on the processor right now they are i2 quad and it is a little slow. they run 5%-20% of the CPU speed and 2GB-4GB on the CPU. so I am going to put 8GB of DDRS at least. but should I get 16?
also it is a little slow, and not sure if it is the processor or other problems. do you think an i3 processor would be enough, or should I look into an i5?


The OS will depend on what this server's functions are (file server, application server, mail server, etc). I suggest you look into something like Windows Small Business Server.
Not really sure what you are going to use a Blu-ray drive in a server for. Look into getting redundant power supplies.
If you have a $2500 budget, I suggest you look into a Dell or HP server. You can get good deals on off lease or refurbished servers at www.dell.com/outlet, which comes with 1+ year warranty on parts and labor.

the only reason I was thinking about blu-ray is for RW purposes. but last night it seemed like I could find any reason to get it on there. so I will just do a DVD RW for 20$
post #8 of 11
It doesn't sound like you know what you're doing. In a business IT environment, that is not good.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2x intel Xeon E5-2650 Supermicro MBD-X9DR3-F-O Onboard awesomeness 8 x 8GB Kingston DDR3 1333 ECC 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
4x WD Green 2TB in RAID 10 2x Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVOs Windows Server 2012 Datacenter 3x Dell Ultrasharp U2410s 
PowerCase
Corsair AX1200 Case Labs TX10-D 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2x intel Xeon E5-2650 Supermicro MBD-X9DR3-F-O Onboard awesomeness 8 x 8GB Kingston DDR3 1333 ECC 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
4x WD Green 2TB in RAID 10 2x Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVOs Windows Server 2012 Datacenter 3x Dell Ultrasharp U2410s 
PowerCase
Corsair AX1200 Case Labs TX10-D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZFedora View Post

If you're dead set on getting an SSD, just get an SSD boot drive and build your raid array with 15K SAS drives (Check out Seagate 15K Cheetahs), they're a ton more reliable.
And to address your IT guy's "dual everything" logic: you're not nearly going to need redundant power supplies, dual CPUs, etc. All of that most likely wont fit into your $2500 budget.
Also the fact that you say you can run all of your server programs on Windows 7 makes me sadface. Get Windows Server 2011 Essentials at least, if you're going to be running a Windows-based server environment. You'll be happy you did, because Windows Server 2011 really makes it easier to manage a domain if you want to get one setup, manage shares, manage emails, etc.
Here's what I recommend:
build.PNG
Set up a RAID1 or 10 array to have your data mirrored for redundancy and not worry about it thumb.gif

dualo everything is not going to happen. to me that is like the old me with overkill. plus there is not even dual power supplies in the back room.

the only reason I want to get windows 7 over 2011 server is because programs cost more, (carbonite wants 600 a year on server edition, while on 7 it charges 50.) plus none of the programs they run as of today require it to be ran on server 2011.

but I'll look into of reasons to besides it will just cost more for programs. I did not know that it helps in managing files, emails, etc. better. the have a ton of client files and edit and new clients every second. I would say a daily 3 clients are added and sometimes spike to 10 clients in extreme tax season. but they always are editing client files and then it will need to be looked at on another workstation right after that. <<<<<
so if server 2011 really does help with managing, then I need to go that route I believe. thanks.
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashburn82 View Post

dualo everything is not going to happen. to me that is like the old me with overkill. plus there is not even dual power supplies in the back room.
the only reason I want to get windows 7 over 2011 server is because programs cost more, (carbonite wants 600 a year on server edition, while on 7 it charges 50.) plus none of the programs they run as of today require it to be ran on server 2011.
but I'll look into of reasons to besides it will just cost more for programs. I did not know that it helps in managing files, emails, etc. better. the have a ton of client files and edit and new clients every second. I would say a daily 3 clients are added and sometimes spike to 10 clients in extreme tax season. but they always are editing client files and then it will need to be looked at on another workstation right after that. <<<<<
so if server 2011 really does help with managing, then I need to go that route I believe. thanks.

Well just do your research ahead of time, it'll pay off. Windows Server 2011 has a lot of built in features that will really help a Small Business save time.
Server
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600k Intel H67DE PNY Verto 9600GT (Thanks to ihasfip!) 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
(3) Seagate 7200K 1TB (2) Hitachi 7200K.12 1TB Proxmox Samsung 17" Corsair GS600 
Case
Chenbro tower 
  hide details  
Reply
Server
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600k Intel H67DE PNY Verto 9600GT (Thanks to ihasfip!) 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
(3) Seagate 7200K 1TB (2) Hitachi 7200K.12 1TB Proxmox Samsung 17" Corsair GS600 
Case
Chenbro tower 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Servers
Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Servers › Help building server