Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › I want something new- Eve?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I want something new- Eve? - Page 2

post #11 of 28
Sorry, I hardly game anymore.

After getting my CCNA that part of my digital lifestyle has somewhat faded. Ill fire up something single player here and there for kicks, but my main priorities are learn, and learn some more. Also Change diapers.
post #12 of 28
I couldn't get into EVE, but I did enjoy parts of it. There's just so much work you have to do, and most of it can be taken away if you accidentally go into the wrong zone at the wrong time.

If you do enjoy the game, you can spend in-game currency to buy your monthly subscription. After 2 months or so, you should be set to get enough to buy a PLEX whenever you need it.
    
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3630QM HD 7970M HD 7970M 2x4GB 1333MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M4 256GB mSata Seagate Momentus 750GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500GB DVD Burner 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 64-Bit Ultimate 17.3" 1920x1080 Matte Screen Auria 27" 2560x1440 Back-lit Clevo Keyboard 
Power
330 Watt Power *BRICK*! 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3630QM HD 7970M HD 7970M 2x4GB 1333MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M4 256GB mSata Seagate Momentus 750GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500GB DVD Burner 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 64-Bit Ultimate 17.3" 1920x1080 Matte Screen Auria 27" 2560x1440 Back-lit Clevo Keyboard 
Power
330 Watt Power *BRICK*! 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguarbamf View Post

I couldn't get into EVE, but I did enjoy parts of it. There's just so much work you have to do, and most of it can be taken away if you accidentally go into the wrong zone at the wrong time.

If you do enjoy the game, you can spend in-game currency to buy your monthly subscription. After 2 months or so, you should be set to get enough to buy a PLEX whenever you need it.

I have tried it myself. I was amazed at the opening cinematic.

Getting stuck on the other side of a wormhole blew my mind.
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric335 View Post

Hehehehe, that was quick

$10 p/month isnt too bad redface.gif
Now to start 18GBs of downloading.......... This will be shoved onto my SSD which only has 42GB of space. Should i clear out more space for it, or is it fine?

Should be fine with that. You will accumulate a lot of chat log files unless you turn them off. But, depending on how you play EVE you may want to leave them on. Political and espionage reasons. But that all comes later down the road if you're into that sort of thing.

One thing I can say is try to get a taste of all the races quirks/ships before you spend too much time on one race that you ultimately decide you don't like that much. You can create 3 different characters on one account. I was partial to Gallente, with Minmatar a close second. Never did like Caldari much and was indifferent with Amarr.

The new player tutorial missions are very useful and provide beginning items and stuff, so be sure to give them a go.
Wife Competition
(17 items)
 
Daughters Desktop
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Ivy Bridge 3570k AsRock Z77 Extreme4 Asus GTX 780 DC2 Asus GTX 780 DC2 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB samsung 850 evo Western Digital Blue 7200 Western Digital Black 7200 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H100 Windows 10 LG 34UM95-P Logitech G710+ 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master SP Gold 1000w Corsair 730t Logitech G700s Duke Nukem 3D 1996 bonus 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PHENOM II X4 840 Asus M3N72-D Palit GTX 460 Sonic Platinum OCZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2.5" Laptop HDD Samsung DVD/CDRW Cooler Master V8 Windows 7 Home Premium x64 OEM 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hanns G 21.5" Rosewill USB Corsair 600w Cooler Master HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
Wife Competition
(17 items)
 
Daughters Desktop
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Ivy Bridge 3570k AsRock Z77 Extreme4 Asus GTX 780 DC2 Asus GTX 780 DC2 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB samsung 850 evo Western Digital Blue 7200 Western Digital Black 7200 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H100 Windows 10 LG 34UM95-P Logitech G710+ 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master SP Gold 1000w Corsair 730t Logitech G700s Duke Nukem 3D 1996 bonus 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PHENOM II X4 840 Asus M3N72-D Palit GTX 460 Sonic Platinum OCZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2.5" Laptop HDD Samsung DVD/CDRW Cooler Master V8 Windows 7 Home Premium x64 OEM 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hanns G 21.5" Rosewill USB Corsair 600w Cooler Master HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blampars View Post

Should be fine with that. You will accumulate a lot of chat log files unless you turn them off. But, depending on how you play EVE you may want to leave them on. Political and espionage reasons. But that all comes later down the road if you're into that sort of thing.
One thing I can say is try to get a taste of all the races quirks/ships before you spend too much time on one race that you ultimately decide you don't like that much. You can create 3 different characters on one account. I was partial to Gallente, with Minmatar a close second. Never did like Caldari much and was indifferent with Amarr.
The new player tutorial missions are very useful and provide beginning items and stuff, so be sure to give them a go.

Thanks for the info.

Ive been watching this:



In order to get some background information while i download the client. As of right now, i seem to like the concept of the Caldari faction the most, and will probably start with this one. Ill play with the Caldari faction until i/if i find another ship/style i like better.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570k ASUS MAXIMUS V FORMULA Gigabyte GTX 670 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Hitachi 2TB 7200RPM Crucial M4 128GB SSD ASUS 24X DVD-Burner Corsair H100 Extreme Liquid Cooling 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
NZXT Blue LED 140mm Fans NZXT Switch 810 Case Fbnans- 140mm Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit ASUS VE278Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Antec High Current Gamer Series 900W PSU NZXT Switch 810 Mionix Naos 3200 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
Kensington 56001 Optical-Enhancing Mouse Pad JVC Sound System Corsair Vengeance 2000 NZXT Sentry-2 Fan Controller 
Other
NZXT Hue 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570k ASUS MAXIMUS V FORMULA Gigabyte GTX 670 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Hitachi 2TB 7200RPM Crucial M4 128GB SSD ASUS 24X DVD-Burner Corsair H100 Extreme Liquid Cooling 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
NZXT Blue LED 140mm Fans NZXT Switch 810 Case Fbnans- 140mm Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit ASUS VE278Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Antec High Current Gamer Series 900W PSU NZXT Switch 810 Mionix Naos 3200 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
Kensington 56001 Optical-Enhancing Mouse Pad JVC Sound System Corsair Vengeance 2000 NZXT Sentry-2 Fan Controller 
Other
NZXT Hue 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 28
Eve is an amazing virtual universe. I hesitate to call it a game because it really transcends all boundaries set by other MMOs. If you're someone who likes figuring out complex systems, you'll love Eve. If you just want to shoot stuff, you may actually enjoy it for a while as well.

It takes most people about 50 hours to get the hang of it, so you have to go in with a strong drive to really give it your all.

The most important thing is to get involved in a community. If you play solo, you'll get bored and will almost certainly quit, so try and find a healthy corporation to join!. I highly recommend joining a wormhole corporation once you are somewhat established, it's great fun.

The main mistake that most players make is assume that missions are all there is to do in the game. Running missions is literally about 2% of what the game has to offer, so don't be afraid to poke around the other systems available to you, like scanning deadspaces, 0.0 warfare and politics, planetary mining, etc.

edit: Caldari is the most played race, and is the most boring. I urge you to start with another race, simply because missiles are not as dynamic as other weapon systems. Minmatar uses missiles too, and it's the race that I find the most fun due to faster ships and a wide array of viable setups. Caldari space is the most densely populated, so if space is feeling a bit empty, make a new home somewhere in the caldari regions wink.gif
Edited by mechtech - 10/18/12 at 8:37pm
VIP3R
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 @ 4.0GHz 1.35v EVGA P55 LE GTX 480 @ 850/2155 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x 500GB F3s RAID0, 1x 7200.11 1.5TB, 1x 500GB Win7 64-bit 27'' Dell 2707WTP + 2x HP LP2465 IBM Model M mini 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ ProXStream 1000w CM Storm Scout DeathAdder 3.5g Artisan Shiden-Kai mid 
AudioAudio
Xonar D2X Beyerdynamic DT880 '03 
  hide details  
Reply
VIP3R
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 @ 4.0GHz 1.35v EVGA P55 LE GTX 480 @ 850/2155 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x 500GB F3s RAID0, 1x 7200.11 1.5TB, 1x 500GB Win7 64-bit 27'' Dell 2707WTP + 2x HP LP2465 IBM Model M mini 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ ProXStream 1000w CM Storm Scout DeathAdder 3.5g Artisan Shiden-Kai mid 
AudioAudio
Xonar D2X Beyerdynamic DT880 '03 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechtech View Post

Eve is an amazing virtual universe. I hesitate to call it a game because it really transcends all boundaries set by other MMOs. If you're someone who likes figuring out complex systems, you'll love Eve. If you just want to shoot stuff, you may actually enjoy it for a while as well.
It takes most people about 50 hours to get the hang of it, so you have to go in with a strong drive to really give it your all.
The most important thing is to get involved in a community. If you play solo, you'll get bored and will almost certainly quit, so try and find a healthy corporation to join!. I highly recommend joining a wormhole corporation once you are somewhat established, it's great fun.

Thanks for the feedback! Part of the reason i love MMOs over FPS games is the higher intricacy of the game, so hopefully ill love EVE. As a reference, embarrassingly, i spent way too many years playing the antiquated game of Runescape. I almost quit until they invented the Grand Exchange, where i became a Runescape 'stockbroker', trading huge amounts of resources around to make pennies on the dollar, a 'day-trader' of sorts.

Thats part of the reason i want to join EVE, is because it has a very strong community. I play BF3 solo because all my friends have Xbox's (dumb), so i was always getting bored. redface.gif

You can PM me some of your EVE details, and id love to meet up with you in-game, and see if you can help me overcome the learning curve a little faster. The part im stuck on now is picking which faction to start with, and what ships to start with (assuming theres more than one choice per faction?).

Responding to your edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechtech View Post

The main mistake that most players make is assume that missions are all there is to do in the game. Running missions is literally about 2% of what the game has to offer, so don't be afraid to poke around the other systems available to you, like scanning deadspaces, 0.0 warfare and politics, planetary mining, etc.
edit: Caldari is the most played race, and is the most boring. I urge you to start with another race, simply because missiles are not as dynamic as other weapon systems. Minmatar uses missiles too, and it's the race that I find the most fun due to faster ships and a wide array of viable setups. Caldari space is the most densely populated, so if space is feeling a bit empty, make a new home somewhere in the caldari regions wink.gif

Hmmm, interesting details, thanks for the info! Ill take a closer look at the other factions, and see which one interests me. thumb.gif Any more info you can give me on which faction i should choose?

edit: 67% downloaded biggrin.gif
Edited by Eric335 - 10/18/12 at 8:44pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570k ASUS MAXIMUS V FORMULA Gigabyte GTX 670 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Hitachi 2TB 7200RPM Crucial M4 128GB SSD ASUS 24X DVD-Burner Corsair H100 Extreme Liquid Cooling 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
NZXT Blue LED 140mm Fans NZXT Switch 810 Case Fbnans- 140mm Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit ASUS VE278Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Antec High Current Gamer Series 900W PSU NZXT Switch 810 Mionix Naos 3200 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
Kensington 56001 Optical-Enhancing Mouse Pad JVC Sound System Corsair Vengeance 2000 NZXT Sentry-2 Fan Controller 
Other
NZXT Hue 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570k ASUS MAXIMUS V FORMULA Gigabyte GTX 670 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Hitachi 2TB 7200RPM Crucial M4 128GB SSD ASUS 24X DVD-Burner Corsair H100 Extreme Liquid Cooling 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
NZXT Blue LED 140mm Fans NZXT Switch 810 Case Fbnans- 140mm Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit ASUS VE278Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Antec High Current Gamer Series 900W PSU NZXT Switch 810 Mionix Naos 3200 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
Kensington 56001 Optical-Enhancing Mouse Pad JVC Sound System Corsair Vengeance 2000 NZXT Sentry-2 Fan Controller 
Other
NZXT Hue 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric335 View Post

Thanks for the feedback! Part of the reason i love MMOs over FPS games is the higher intricacy of the game, so hopefully ill love EVE. As a reference, embarrassingly, i spent way too many years playing the antiquated game of Runescape. I almost quit until they invented the Grand Exchange, where i became a Runescape 'stockbroker', trading huge amounts of resources around to make pennies on the dollar, a 'day-trader' of sorts.
Thats part of the reason i want to join EVE, is because it has a very strong community. I play BF3 solo because all my friends have Xbox's (dumb), so i was always getting bored. redface.gif
You can PM me some of your EVE details, and id love to meet up with you in-game, and see if you can help me overcome the learning curve a little faster. The part im stuck on now is picking which faction to start with, and what ships to start with (assuming theres more than one choice per faction?).
Responding to your edit:
Hmmm, interesting details, thanks for the info! Ill take a closer look at the other factions, and see which one interests me. thumb.gif Any more info you can give me on which faction i should choose?
edit: 67% downloaded biggrin.gif

Caldari - Missile boats that absorb damage with their shields.
Gallente - Drone boats that absorb damage with their armor, although some ships can be made to shield tank effectively as well. They also use blasters and railguns which shoot ammo.
Minmatar - A hybrid type race, some ships are better with a shield tank while others are better with an armor tank. They use auto-cannons as their main offense and drones. Minmatar is probably the most skill intensive race to train as you'll need to be effective at both armor tanking and shield tanking depending on the ship you're going to be flying.
Amarr - Armor tanking race that use lasers as an offensive weapon.

Note - Each race has ship bonuses for which type of offense/defense their best suited for. There are some few exceptions to this but nothing really worth mentioning right now.
Wife Competition
(17 items)
 
Daughters Desktop
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Ivy Bridge 3570k AsRock Z77 Extreme4 Asus GTX 780 DC2 Asus GTX 780 DC2 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB samsung 850 evo Western Digital Blue 7200 Western Digital Black 7200 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H100 Windows 10 LG 34UM95-P Logitech G710+ 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master SP Gold 1000w Corsair 730t Logitech G700s Duke Nukem 3D 1996 bonus 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PHENOM II X4 840 Asus M3N72-D Palit GTX 460 Sonic Platinum OCZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2.5" Laptop HDD Samsung DVD/CDRW Cooler Master V8 Windows 7 Home Premium x64 OEM 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hanns G 21.5" Rosewill USB Corsair 600w Cooler Master HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
Wife Competition
(17 items)
 
Daughters Desktop
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Ivy Bridge 3570k AsRock Z77 Extreme4 Asus GTX 780 DC2 Asus GTX 780 DC2 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB samsung 850 evo Western Digital Blue 7200 Western Digital Black 7200 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H100 Windows 10 LG 34UM95-P Logitech G710+ 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master SP Gold 1000w Corsair 730t Logitech G700s Duke Nukem 3D 1996 bonus 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PHENOM II X4 840 Asus M3N72-D Palit GTX 460 Sonic Platinum OCZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2.5" Laptop HDD Samsung DVD/CDRW Cooler Master V8 Windows 7 Home Premium x64 OEM 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hanns G 21.5" Rosewill USB Corsair 600w Cooler Master HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 28
I thought about trying eve since I have an old cod4 clan buddy who basically dropped cod4 whenever came out and he has been hooked since.

I got bored of games as well so the only games I really play are mmo's... I play perfect world right now, even less now that I got my ipad.

Also. Good to see some fellow floridians smile.gif
Streamer/Gamer
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-5820K Asus X99-A Sapphire R9-290 Crucial Ballistics Sport 16gb 2400mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
OCZ Agility 3 60gb Seagate 1TB Corsair H100  Windows 10 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
3x 22" 1080 monitors Logitech G510 Corsair HX620 Nzxt Switch 810 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G402 Steel series QCK cloth Logitech G930 headset 
  hide details  
Reply
Streamer/Gamer
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-5820K Asus X99-A Sapphire R9-290 Crucial Ballistics Sport 16gb 2400mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
OCZ Agility 3 60gb Seagate 1TB Corsair H100  Windows 10 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
3x 22" 1080 monitors Logitech G510 Corsair HX620 Nzxt Switch 810 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G402 Steel series QCK cloth Logitech G930 headset 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 28
Aww, I was an hour late to the party. Would have sent you a buddy invite for a long trial! Plus extra time for me if you sub'd tongue.gif Anyway, enjoy EVE! It's daunting at first, but you'll learn to love it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PC Gaming
Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › I want something new- Eve?